HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Coming to Pitt for the Finals

Old
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
nckd

vCash: 500
The Holiday Inn in southside isn't too badly priced, I think, but I'd kind of recommend a hotel in Oakland as it's got more non-bar related stuff to do. Also, if you don't rent a car, there's a bus to everywhere you might want to go (see buskarma.com), including the airport.

PNC Park is worth a trip, and the Bettis Grille is nice and not too pricey for a sports bar. The incline is worth a spare half-hour, but unlike ColePens, I don't recommend Station Square -- it's a tourist trap.

You may be overestimating the difficulty of getting served alcohol underage in the US, but enforcement is so random. It's been a long time since I kept track of who doesn't card in Pittsburgh. Chances are, you'll have no trouble watching a game in a bar if you follow the college kids.

nckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
This would make a great ''What do to in Pittsburgh'' sticky.
Yeah, I agree. The Finals are likely to bring in a lot of Pen's fans that have never been to Pittsburgh.

Would make a good sticky for the next few weeks.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
I would give quite a bit to return to Pittsburgh right about now...but I have summer classes so it is quite impossible until late July. Sigh.

I'll continue marching to the Press Box and watching the games with a guy from McKeesport while the rest of the place watches the Cubs game (the amount of Chicago transplants here is astounding)...not quite the same.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

For those that can't get tickets but want to be in the atmosphere, go to the Big screen at Mellon on the lawn. (just get there early.)

That seems to be the next best thing to being inside.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
The Pens Are Back*

dpending on the scheule i might make the trip (5-6 hr ride) although a flight might be cheaper with these peices.

i have been in pittsburgh beofe for a few stiller games

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:38 PM
AquaticBirdman

What was the post game celebration like in the city after yesterday's game?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
hey mod,s just sticky this post. hes got stuff in here that i want to try and i've lived here all my life! great post you covered everything.
Hey.. +1 here too I knew our city was great but I just always forget that there is so much stuff to do.

Just this past year I made lists of stuff I wanted to do w/ my gf and we've done a lot so far... and we still have so much left to do.

This is a great town... and it's even better right now during the Finals.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
What was the post game celebration like in the city after yesterday's game?
Nothing too crazy.

When the Steelers won their last superbowl, people were doing snow angels in the street. Pittsburgh ususally isn't the ''let's burn stuff!!11'' type of town, just alot of beer drinking and yelling. It's peaceful.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Quote:
Nothing too crazy.

When the Steelers won their last superbowl, people were doing snow angels in the street. Pittsburgh ususally isn't the ''let's burn stuff!!11'' type of town, just alot of beer drinking and yelling. It's peaceful.
Just go to station square or south side after a Penguins win... people all over the streets partying and high-fiving. We dont' destroy things (which is nice) but we do act like everyone is our long lost brother after a sports win.

Old
05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back View Post
dpending on the scheule i might make the trip (5-6 hr ride) although a flight might be cheaper with these peices.

i have been in pittsburgh beofe for a few stiller games
We're thinking about it as well. Two roundtrip non-stop tickets for about $450 is worth it (and a hell of a lot better than driving 16 hours each way).

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nothing too crazy.

Not to mention Stanley Cup Finals =/= Championship.

Pittsburgh is generally peaceful for Championships (as in the no riots sense), but if the Penguins win the Cup it goes without saying the celebration will be a million times the scale of the Conference Championship.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
For those that can't get tickets but want to be in the atmosphere, go to the Big screen at Mellon on the lawn. (just get there early.)

That seems to be the next best thing to being inside.
The Penguins are exploring the possibility of opening Mellon Arena so fans can go there to watch the Stanley Cup final games played in Detroit.

A team official confirmed the idea is under consideration, but said no decision has been made. There could be one before the end of the business day, however.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08142/883689-100.stm

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
66_Lemieux_66

The only advice you need...

You can thank me later...

66_Lemieux_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
murph27

I would just add that in the morning and early afternnon, you can take a tour of PNC Park. I was once a tour guide there for a few years..... tour last about 1 1/2 hours.....includes dugout, pressbox, club level areas....... lot of out-of-towners coming for a Pirates game in the evening would make a point of taking a tour....

murph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Fans can watch road Cup games at Mellon Arena

The Pittsburgh Penguins will open Mellon Arena for the first two games of the Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings.

The games will be broadcast on the arena's Jumbotron. Seating will be general admission at $5. Concession and souvenir stands will be open. Tickets will go on sale on today at 10 a.m., available online at www.ticketmaster.com and the Mellon Arena's gate one box office. The team said all proceeds will go to the Mario Lemieux Foundation for cancer and neonatal research.

The video screen in front of Gate 3 will not be operating for the road games. It will be available to fans for the Pens' first two home games of the series (Games 3 and 4).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08143/883974-100.stm

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
#2eddieshore

Sell out the igloo for road games!

That would be awesome.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
GFF

Well, i don't arrive until Tuesday so i'll hope we are ready to win in 5 so i can see the Penguins lift the Cup (while i am) at Mellon arena....

Either way im gonna love every minute. Thanks for all the info on here, i'm gonna have to have a good gander at it all over the next few days and try to work out what i'm going to do!

GFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFF View Post
Well, i don't arrive until Tuesday so i'll hope we are ready to win in 5 so i can see the Penguins lift the Cup (while i am) at Mellon arena....

Either way im gonna love every minute. Thanks for all the info on here, i'm gonna have to have a good gander at it all over the next few days and try to work out what i'm going to do!

It'd be nice to see the Mellon Arena for the last time GFF... because that biaaatch will be a parking lot soon lol. Also if you need any help you can PM me while ur here (if you have internet) and let the Penguin fans help ya out a little.

Old
05-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Well, looks like I'll be making the nine-hour trek next Saturday to catch Game 4. I'm stoked! This has already been an outstanding Stanley Cup playoff experience, and it figures to get even better.

Can't wait to finally be with the "home" crowd, after years of seeing the Pens as the visitors in Mtl.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I'll be in for Game 4. Making the flight Saturday morning. Looking forward to it.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Alfa Spider

Places to eat

Forget Primanti Bros

Go to:

1) Original Oyster House in Market Square and have a fish sandwich. Best fish sandwich on earth.

2) Original Hotdog Shop in Oakland. Have a chili dog and o fries with gravy and cheese -- but you have to eat the fries within 10 min -- after that the fries are inedible and the cheese becomes concrete

Alfa Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Leroux 66

I got a pair of tickets for game 4 and im driving from binghamton ( yeah i know sucks to be me living in bingo haha) to syracuse catching a direct flight to pittsburgh and ill be arriving around 8ish friday night the 30th and ill probably be going to the game with my cousin, my entire family is from pittsburgh and i get the short stick being born in upstate new york lol. I'm pretty pumped !

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:50 AM
GFF

Does anyone know if there is a bar likely to show the England Vs USA 'Soccer' game at 3pm Eastern on Wednesday?

Old
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
GFF

Sorry to keep bumping this, but i have to tell u guys that i managed to snag a ticket in A17 (row E) for $250 for game 3!!! Pretty much the best day ever!!

Lets Go Pens!

Old
05-29-2008, 12:24 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFF View Post
Sorry to keep bumping this, but i have to tell u guys that i managed to snag a ticket in A17 (row E) for $250 for game 3!!! Pretty much the best day ever!!

Lets Go Pens!
So how'd you like it?

What have you got to see so far in Pittsburgh?

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote