HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr waiting for the Rangers to show some love

Old
06-06-2008, 04:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Jagr waiting for the Rangers to show some love

Quote:
Jaromir Jage felt the love from Rangers fans during the playoffs. He has been feeling it from Russia for months, what with Anatoli Bardin, the GM of the Omsk-Avangard team, having courted him heavily.

But what Jagr appears to be waiting for is some sort of comparable affection from Rangers GM Glen Sather. Jagr told the Daily News again Thursday that his first choice is to return to the Rangers for next season but he is not sure whether the feeling is mutual.

"Do I have an offer from Russia? Probably," Jagr said, refusing to discuss details of what Bardin promised him when he flew to New York to meet with him and with Sather on March 30.

But when asked whether it was now a case of seeing whether the Rangers would match the offer or come close, Jagr replied: "No, it's not that at all. I just want to know if I feel any interest from New York. That's what I want to know first
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...s_still-2.html

This situation reminds of Messier's deal in 1997.36 year old player.Free agent.We know what happened then.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:38 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...s_still-2.html

This situation reminds of Messier's deal in 1997.36 year old player.Free agent.We know what happened then.
So he didn't hear the 1st quote in this thread?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=521326

Its clear hes a good player, Sather said of Jagr. Its clear that we like him. And its clear that wed like to have him back also."

JJ you know there is interest, just not at a obscene price tag.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Vitto79

Jagr won't leave to another team in the NHL,,,if he goes it's Russia

I think he'll be back for one final season with the Rangers..........one because he can still play with Dubi and 2 this yrs FA pool blows bad

I think the focus is resign Jagr and Avery and get in a few D men

Depends on the cap but I would like Redden and Orpik in a perfect world..........I also think if they lose out on those 2 their are guys we have not mentioned .........how about a 1 yr deal with Mattias Norstrom..........he's one of the many that got away when they were dealing youth for experience.......now he's older but could be good for one more year giving a physical prescence

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Vitto79

For veterans Stu Barnes and Mattias Norstrom, each of whom will be unrestricted free agents, the question is whether they will retire. Both Barnes, 37, and Norstrom, 36, indicated that they would either play in Dallas next season or not at all.

I will never play in Sweden or anywhere else, said Norstrom, a Swede whose family is there now. Its either hopefully in the NHL or not at all. So if they want me back, there would be no other team that would be higher on the list than the Stars.

OK nix the Norstrom idea...........haha...............damn this yrs list stinks

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
eco's bones

Norstrom is too old now Vitto--likewise on Barnes. Both are on the decline. If I were targeting UFA's I would be much more inclined to find players on the front end age-wise of free agency rather than the back end. Someone like Detroit's Stuart or the Penguin's Orpik would be interesting to me though I don't know whether we'll have enough money to grab more than one vet d-man. When a player has hit the 35 year old threshold you take his cap hit regardless of whether even you wind up sending him to the minors. To go further with Barnes--he is too small and the Rangers need badly to get bigger forwards.

On Jagr--he has said he plans to go back to the Czech Rep. in two years. If he is willing to sign with the Rangers for one year that might be the best of worlds for us--we can decide whether or not a year from now whether to sign him again for a year or take a run at LeCavalier if he is still available. Next year and the year after look much better for UFA's. In the meantime Jagr and Dubi keep working together.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Norstrom is too old now Vitto--likewise on Barnes. Both are on the decline. If I were targeting UFA's I would be much more inclined to find players on the front end age-wise of free agency rather than the back end. Someone like Detroit's Stuart or the Penguin's Orpik would be interesting to me though I don't know whether we'll have enough money to grab more than one vet d-man. When a player has hit the 35 year old threshold you take his cap hit regardless of whether even you wind up sending him to the minors. To go further with Barnes--he is too small and the Rangers need badly to get bigger forwards.

On Jagr--he has said he plans to go back to the Czech Rep. in two years. If he is willing to sign with the Rangers for one year that might be the best of worlds for us--we can decide whether or not a year from now whether to sign him again for a year or take a run at LeCavalier if he is still available. Next year and the year after look much better for UFA's. In the meantime Jagr and Dubi keep working together.
Can we please stop with the Lecavalier talk? I've seen his name pop up in a bunch of threads lately and there is no point in having him on this team. Do we really need to spend 24 million on 3 centers when we have no legitimate threat on the wings?

Not to mention we'd never be able to afford it. Add Hank's salary to that and we've got 30 mil wrapped up in 4 guys. Smart.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post

Its clear hes a good player, Sather said of Jagr. Its clear that we like him. And its clear that wed like to have him back also."

I was thinking the same thing.

What the F does he want, a heart shapped card that begs him to please come back?

F that, everyone has a price and his is 4-5 annually with another 2-3 in potential bonuses.

He had a nice PO's and a great stretch run, but overall a piss-poor season and while it may be an abberation, that remains to be seen as it could be nature taking it's course and he could be slowing down.

Bring Jagr back at 5 million and 3 in bonuses
Bring Avery back at 2.75 million (anything more and we can let him walk as well)
Sign Hossa to a 6 year deal at 50 million

Let Shanny (2.5), Malik (2.5), Mara (3.0), Straka (3.3), Rozsival (2.3) all walk.

That's a savings of 13.6 million (more than enough to sign Hossa and re-sign Avery)

We would then have to replace 2 defenceman as we would have under contract Staal, Tyutin, Girardi and Backman.

Forwards would look like this:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Hossa
Korpikoski - Drury - Callahan
Sjostrom - Anisimov - Prucha

Total of approx. 37 million

I think if we are going to roll 4 lines, we absolutely need production from that 4th line and as long as we have Betts as the pivot man there, you can forget about that in its entirity. Additionally that 4th line provides enough size as Sjostrom is 6'1" and just about 220lbs, Anisimov is 6'3" and his playing weight should be at the very least 210-215.

That team has speed, talent and enough abrasiveness to keep teams honest.

With the D we have signed that another 7.5

With Henrik that's another 7 million

All told we are at 51.5 with still needing 2 defenceman

All numbers are rounded up so that 51.5 is actually closer to 50

that would leave us with approx. 5-6 million to sign the defenceman we need

No math whiz here, but we should be ok next year

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Fletch

I don't think he wants...

a heart-shaped card to come back, but perhaps he wants a meeting with Sather and an offer? I don't think that's happened and it's one thing for Sather to say we want him in the press, which could be posturing, either to the fan base (which could mean Sather's resigned to losing Jagr but wants the Rangers fans, who may want Jagr to come back, to know that he too wanted him to come back) or to Jagr himself, but it's another to actually have a sit down and talk about him coming back.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post

It's one thing for Sather to spout BS to the press, it's a completely different thing to actually get on the phone with a players agent make and offer to start off negotiations. So far, it appears Sather has not done that. Not to mention that you're assuming Jagr, who's been in Vegas and Mexico on vacation, has also been keeping up with Sather's quotes on the Daily News' hockey blog...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

What the F does he want, a heart shapped card that begs him to please come back?

F that, everyone has a price and his is 4-5 annually with another 2-3 in potential bonuses.

He had a nice PO's and a great stretch run, but overall a piss-poor season and while it may be an abberation, that remains to be seen as it could be nature taking it's course and he could be slowing down.

Bring Jagr back at 5 million and 3 in bonuses
Bring Avery back at 2.75 million (anything more and we can let him walk as well)
Sign Hossa to a 6 year deal at 50 million

Let Shanny (2.5), Malik (2.5), Mara (3.0), Straka (3.3), Rozsival (2.3) all walk.

That's a savings of 13.6 million (more than enough to sign Hossa and re-sign Avery)

We would then have to replace 2 defenceman as we would have under contract Staal, Tyutin, Girardi and Backman.

Forwards would look like this:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Hossa
Korpikoski - Drury - Callahan
Sjostrom - Anisimov - Prucha

Total of approx. 37 million

I think if we are going to roll 4 lines, we absolutely need production from that 4th line and as long as we have Betts as the pivot man there, you can forget about that in its entirity. Additionally that 4th line provides enough size as Sjostrom is 6'1" and just about 220lbs, Anisimov is 6'3" and his playing weight should be at the very least 210-215.

That team has speed, talent and enough abrasiveness to keep teams honest.

With the D we have signed that another 7.5

With Henrik that's another 7 million

All told we are at 51.5 with still needing 2 defenceman

All numbers are rounded up so that 51.5 is actually closer to 50

that would leave us with approx. 5-6 million to sign the defenceman we need

No math whiz here, but we should be ok next year
Betts is one of the best 4th line centers in the league. He isn't going anywhere.

We also have 1.5 mil in dead cap next season, so that leaves us with something like 4 mil to sign two d-men, one of which needs to be a puck mover. Good luck with that.

If Jagr comes back next season, Hossa won't be wearing Ranger Blue.

I also don't see the abrasiveness you're talking about in that lineup. We'd have the least-abrasive 4th line in hockey.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If JJ equates love with money, he better pack a lot of sweaters. Gets cold in Russia.

06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Can we please stop with the Lecavalier talk? I've seen his name pop up in a bunch of threads lately and there is no point in having him on this team. Do we really need to spend 24 million on 3 centers when we have no legitimate threat on the wings?

Not to mention we'd never be able to afford it. Add Hank's salary to that and we've got 30 mil wrapped up in 4 guys. Smart.
agreed....why not sign gaborik or wait another year for kovalchuk.....and im sure there are always other players available who could be had

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:07 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
It's one thing for Sather to spout BS to the press, it's a completely different thing to actually get on the phone with a players agent make and offer to start off negotiations. So far, it appears Sather has not done that. Not to mention that you're assuming Jagr, who's been in Vegas and Mexico on vacation, has also been keeping up with Sather's quotes on the Daily News' hockey blog...
He wants to know if there is interest, there is public, documented, interest. A 13 year old with a basic knowledge of Google could find those quotes.

Plus, you make it sound like he doesn't have an agent. Believe me, if Slats said something about him in the press or to his peeps, his agent will let him know.

This smacks of public posturing – not to mention the Russia stuff that JJ doesn’t necessarily dismiss as an option to further push Slats or whoever to sign him.

This is the game they play.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

ooooh... thats good to hear.

Maybe he will sign in Russia.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Fletch

zesty...

stating in a NY rag that they have interest is meaningless. When you call and say, let's sit down and talk, you're stating there's interest. I don't think it's incumbent on a player or an agent to make that call when you're talking about a player who is of Jagr's stature and who is slated to become a UFA. The ball is in Sather's court - saying he's interested to a reporter doesn't take the ball out of his court.

And it is public posturing - on both ends, but moreso on Sather's. Jagr can become a free agent and likely get more than the Rangers are willing to offer. If the Rangers truly do want to keep Jagr, then Jagr's in the driver's seat and they'll have to decide what to do before July 1, most likely, which is when he hits the streets.

One comment on the first sentence - can you really see a professional athlete, who's enjoying his time off, going onto his computer at night before he goes to sleep, going onto google, and typing in his name and seeing what pops up? I did it by the way, and on page one there's no news in any event.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The two other franchises Jagr has played for hate him. He left both Pitts and the Caps fans bitter. There are lots of reasons we've all disscussed. Some good, some silly.

NY generally loves Jagr and for good reason. He has been crucial to the rebuild and pretty much THE offense since '06

As Jagr goes so goes the Rangers O.

He should retire a Ranger with an entire fanbase appreciative and respectful of the player, leader he has become now.

That being said we don't walk in his shoes. 5 mill - 7 mill its all alot of money, but that difference of 2 mill is alot of money too.

Can't really put a price on happiness. Happy Jagr in the BIG Apple

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Of coures, there this quote, that defuses much of what Dellapina was writing:

Quote:
I didn't talk to them in a while - probably they were concerned with (Sidney) Crosby during the playoffs," Jagr said, referring to another of his agents' high-profile clients. "Probably, they're going to talk to Glen right away now."

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Kaktus*

Basically.... Show me the money!!!

He was still #1 scorer in regular season and playoffs. How come Gomez gets all the love but Jagr doesn't?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
[url]
This situation reminds of Messier's deal in 1997. 36 year old player. Free agent. We know what happened then.
I'm not saying Jagr is a shoo-in to be back but that was a different GM and a different MSG regime. That was Dave Checketts choosing to pay Patrick Ewing for winning nothing over Messier after Messier brought the Cup back to New York. It was an outrage.

But to be fair, Jagr hasn't won a thing here yet and also admitted he didn't really start playing hard until Game #61. I don't know if those comments will have repurcussions throughout the organization. They certainly should. Because you cannot have your captain taking 75% of the regular season off while you are battling for the playoffs. Had Jagr played another 20 games or so like he did from March on, the Rangers might have won the Conference and had the #1 seed going into the playoffs. And then maybe things would have been slightly different in the playoffs.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
stating in a NY rag that they have interest is meaningless. When you call and say, let's sit down and talk, you're stating there's interest. I don't think it's incumbent on a player or an agent to make that call when you're talking about a player who is of Jagr's stature and who is slated to become a UFA. The ball is in Sather's court - saying he's interested to a reporter doesn't take the ball out of his court.

And it is public posturing - on both ends, but moreso on Sather's. Jagr can become a free agent and likely get more than the Rangers are willing to offer. If the Rangers truly do want to keep Jagr, then Jagr's in the driver's seat and they'll have to decide what to do before July 1, most likely, which is when he hits the streets.

One comment on the first sentence - can you really see a professional athlete, who's enjoying his time off, going onto his computer at night before he goes to sleep, going onto google, and typing in his name and seeing what pops up? I did it by the way, and on page one there's no news in any event.
Meh would flowers be more appropriate to show his love?

Since none of us know what JJs agents priory is (See Forechecker quote below) no one knows who is dragging their feet on this I would guess that, as you said, they both are posturing here.

That said, JJ has done quite a bit to fan any and all flames: that he may go to Russia, his casual meeting, his distracting comments late into the season about what hes going to do next year. And now he that he has no idea of the NYR are even interested in him. Im not sure Slats has said that much about this publicly. Maybe hes just holding out, trying to confirm out what are real offers and real interest and what isnt to know where he stands.

If JJ is looking to be romanced (like maybe Dury & Gomez were) he should go on a date or meet with his pals in Russia. I dont think Slats will operate that way on this.

On the Google comment, see the following sentence. His agents team will get that info to him if they deem it worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Of coures, there this quote, that defuses much of what Dellapina was writing:
Quote:
I didn't talk to them in a while - probably they were concerned with (Sidney) Crosby during the playoffs," Jagr said, referring to another of his agents' high-profile clients. "Probably, they're going to talk to Glen right away now."

Old
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Fletch

Who's talking about being romanced...

I think you're missing an important point: unless a GM calls a player and asks to sit own and talk about next year and is ready to talk numbers, there's no real interest. All the talk is just chatter. Sather can say anything he wants to the media - it's mostly meaningless to a player until he's sitting with an offer to play. An owner of a Russian club flew to meet with Jagr and gave him an offer - that's showing interest. Sather says benignly to a reporter "clear that we like him. And its clear that wed like to have him back also" which is showing zero commitment. And again, free agency begins in 3+ weeks - and Jagr's UFA - if Sather really wants him back shouldn't he start to get the ball rolling?

I personally don't know if I care if Jagr comes back, and I don't see Sather making a real effort to bring him back.

Old
06-20-2008, 04:20 AM
nyrage

How's this for love?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202008...co__116325.htm

Glen Sather has told agents representing more than one of the Rangers New York Rangers ' five significant impending unrestricted free agents that he has no intention of signing any of them prior to July 1, The Post has learned.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 05:46 AM
beastly115

Slats better not **** this up.

Also, Kesler and Cammalleri are all centers. It wouldn't make sense for us to trade for one of them. We need top 6 wingers! Cheechoo would be nice with Gomez.

And Carter was already resigned. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...ree_year_deal/

Last edited by beastly115: 06-20-2008 at 05:57 AM.
beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
How's this for love?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202008...co__116325.htm

Glen Sather has told agents representing more than one of the Rangers New York Rangers ' five significant impending unrestricted free agents that he has no intention of signing any of them prior to July 1, The Post has learned.
The only thing that I liked in that entire artice was the shot at Staal lol. It seems Sather has decided that it's time to end the Jagr era and finish off the rebuilding process, I guess. It makes me uneasy to potentially lose all of those guys but I guess in a few years it will be worth it. Still sad to see Avery go, but Hossa and/or Campbell would soften the blow haha.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:44 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
The only thing that I liked in that entire artice was the shot at Staal lol. It seems Sather has decided that it's time to end the Jagr era and finish off the rebuilding process, I guess. It makes me uneasy to potentially lose all of those guys but I guess in a few years it will be worth it. Still sad to see Avery go, but Hossa and/or Campbell would soften the blow haha.
I just hope he doesn't do something stupid that will set us back 5 years. Competition in the East is getting fierce with Philly, Pitts, and Montreal all being strong forces. The Devils are sure to be back to form next season and Boston is shaping up to become a force as well. Not to mention Ottawa once they sort out their locker room problems. I hope we don't get left behind

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote