HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap-Hit/Salary Chart 2008-2009 Edition

Old
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I know you dont agree with me, neither do a lot of people it seems. Everyone is enttitled to their opinions.

I still have several years of NHL success to back me up in that Briere was, can be and is successful as a center and had his best years in Buffalo AS A CENTER. He played wing on occasion, but not enough to call him a winger. He plays like a center. If moved to the wing, yes he doesnt have the responsibility to come back and help out as much on defense but he is going to get killed along the boards.

Him having more success on the wing is just speculation at this point by everyone on the boards having heart palpatations over his +/- numbers and god forbid he cant match up and play against the other teams top lines. Last time I checked he isnt out there to stop the other teams top line, he is there to score. 18 minutes a game for a smaller offensive guy like him is perfectly fine with me. I dont care if he is a center or a wing, if we are protecting the lead late in a game, I dont want him out there. I also dont want him out there killing penalties.

Its all about the system the team plays. You cant ask Briere to be playing a lot of defense. Buffalo's up tempo game played into his skills perfectly. When the Flyers played this way, the team was very successful.

Buffalo also had 6 dmen who could bring the puck out of the zone though and didnt need all the forwards coming down behind the net to help them get it out which is key to the issues he had this year in my opinion.

Not saying it wouldnt work out, just saying that I dont agree he needs to do that to be successful.

Maybe the coach should actually do his damn job and put his players in better position to get the most from them.
Buffalo played a very unique type of run and gun game and as Jester pointed out, freaking Derek Roy was +37 on that team, I don't put much stock in +/- on a team that good.

It's not just about the +/- either, Briere's lines consistently just had trouble getting out of the zone.

I don't think he'd get killed on the boards seeing as this team forechecks intermittently and also, he's strong in his core, I don't expect him to dominate on the boards, but he'll be able to hold his own, especially if you put him with a couple good forecheckers.

Also, I think it's just a numbers crunch. We have 3 Cs that can all play 20 minutes a game and that should all be playing with top 6 wingers. The easiest solution is to just move one of them to wing.

I personally think Briere would excel on the wing anyways, he seems to prefer coming in from the wing anyways when he's playing C, so he can just stay out there full-time and another benefit is that he won't have as much defensive responsibility.

The good thing about Briere is that he was working hard defensively, but he's just undersized. As long as he works hard as a wing as well, I think he'll do fine.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Buffalo played a very unique type of run and gun game and as Jester pointed out, freaking Derek Roy was +37 on that team, I don't put much stock in +/- on a team that good.

It's not just about the +/- either, Briere's lines consistently just had trouble getting out of the zone.

I don't think he'd get killed on the boards seeing as this team forechecks intermittently and also, he's strong in his core, I don't expect him to dominate on the boards, but he'll be able to hold his own, especially if you put him with a couple good forecheckers.

Also, I think it's just a numbers crunch. We have 3 Cs that can all play 20 minutes a game and that should all be playing with top 6 wingers. The easiest solution is to just move one of them to wing.

I personally think Briere would excel on the wing anyways, he seems to prefer coming in from the wing anyways when he's playing C, so he can just stay out there full-time and another benefit is that he won't have as much defensive responsibility.

The good thing about Briere is that he was working hard defensively, but he's just undersized. As long as he works hard as a wing as well, I think he'll do fine.

I agree with most of this. Buffalo ran a unique attack that got stopped in teh plaoffs. They were to open to break aways and things of that nature. It is a great regular season strategy but come playoffs, you must also have a toughness level that can compliment what you run.

Briere will put up better numbers as a wing, but will it be the best for the team?? I think this depends on who they bring in (wither from in house or by trade/FA) to play the 3rd line center

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I agree with most of this. Buffalo ran a unique attack that got stopped in teh plaoffs. They were to open to break aways and things of that nature. It is a great regular season strategy but come playoffs, you must also have a toughness level that can compliment what you run.

Briere will put up better numbers as a wing, but will it be the best for the team?? I think this depends on who they bring in (wither from in house or by trade/FA) to play the 3rd line center
There are plenty of good 3rd line Cs around the league and considering that whatever wings we put on the 3rd line will be well above average 3rd liners, I'm confident Homer could find somebody.

Old
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
mm6492

Quote:
There are plenty of good 3rd line Cs around the league and considering that whatever wings we put on the 3rd line will be well above average 3rd liners, I'm confident Homer could find somebody.
at least for next year, our third line center will have to match up against 1 of Malkin, Crosby, Stall. i want someone who will be able ton handle them. I know Carter and Richards can, but who we bring in has to improve over briere

Old
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
at least for next year, our third line center will have to match up against 1 of Malkin, Crosby, Stall. i want someone who will be able ton handle them. I know Carter and Richards can, but who we bring in has to improve over briere
I don't view Staal as a huge threat yet. I don't think he'll have the linemates especially since they will most likely lose Hossa and maybe Dupuis? I think he might be an FA as well.

Carter-Malkin and Richards-Crosby will be our matchups for like the next 10 years I bet.

Old
06-11-2008, 04:47 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

He comes in from the wing, but sets up behind the net an awful lot on the cycle, which is typcially where the center goes.

Yes, I agree Buffalo played a unique style of run and gun. However, the thing that enabled them to do that was the defense had puck movers. Hecht, Pominville are not so different from Gagne/Prospal and Hartnell. They could play the same style. Where the issue lies on this team is the dmen getting the puck to Briere to move it up the ice.

Yes, we have 3 very good centers. I actually think that is one of the keys to why this team was successful. If you take away one of them the defense now only has two lines to worry about as opposed to 3 and whoever the "3rd" center was is now facing better defensive players.

There is 60 minutes in a game. If the 4th line center plays like 6-8 minutes that leaves you 52-54 minutes to spread between 3 centers. That is an average of 18 minutes per center which is perfectly fine. One night Carter will get 23 minutes, the next night he will get 15 minutes, depends on how we match up with the opponent that night. Most of Richards points came on the powerplay anyway and since he gets a lot of PK time as well, I say you decrease his ES minutes by a couple and give them to Briere.

Balance is key in my opinion.

No need to keep debating it cause we just need to agree to disagree. Fact of the matter is, until I see Briere fully committed to becoming a wing, and he ends up being successful at it, he is a center in my opinion and I go into next year expecting him to play center with Gagne and ???? as his wings.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
mm6492

Quote:
I don't view Staal as a huge threat yet. I don't think he'll have the linemates especially since they will most likely lose Hossa and maybe Dupuis? I think he might be an FA as well.

Carter-Malkin and Richards-Crosby will be our matchups for like the next 10 years I bet.
I am just saying that Stall has learned to use his size more and with briere at center, he has a huge advantage. Now iof we bring in a jormal sized human being I would be fine with the Stall matchup
and they have plenty of FA's
-Hossa, Malone, Dupis, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts, Hall
- Orpik and Conklin
-Fleury- RFA

Old
06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
That is one team. There are not many teams that have 3 quality centers like that where having Briere at center is an issue. It just goes to show you how hard it is to match up with a team that has 3 quality centers (like we do now) I also think Malone ends up leaving and Stall is moved back to the wing with Malkin next year. They had a good bit of success together their first year. Pittsburgh is only going to be able to keep Stall on that third line for so long before they have 0 wingers for Crosby and Malkin to play with, where as compared to us, our depth on the wings allows us to rotate in some young players to compensate for cap issues.

Old
06-11-2008, 05:22 PM
mm6492

Quote:
That is one team. There are not many teams that have 3 quality centers like that where having Briere at center is an issue. It just goes to show you how hard it is to match up with a team that has 3 quality centers (like we do now) I also think Malone ends up leaving and Stall is moved back to the wing with Malkin next year. They had a good bit of success together their first year. Pittsburgh is only going to be able to keep Stall on that third line for so long before they have 0 wingers for Crosby and Malkin to play with, where as compared to us, our depth on the wings allows us to rotate in some young players to compensate for cap issues.
I am fine with moving briere to wing. i just wanted to make sure we could match up against the team that in probally the favorites in our conference

Old
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Irish Blues

He's not listed in the opening post, but Danny Syvret is signed for 2008-09 [2-way contract].

06-11-2008, 09:45 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
He's not listed in the opening post, but Danny Syvret is signed for 2008-09 [2-way contract].
Thanks IB ill update tomorrow

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
He comes in from the wing, but sets up behind the net an awful lot on the cycle, which is typcially where the center goes.
That's true, but I mean, they can still let him do that in the zone, he most sets up behind the net on the PP and he will still be a C on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Yes, I agree Buffalo played a unique style of run and gun. However, the thing that enabled them to do that was the defense had puck movers. Hecht, Pominville are not so different from Gagne/Prospal and Hartnell. They could play the same style. Where the issue lies on this team is the dmen getting the puck to Briere to move it up the ice.
Also due to Ruff's coaching and as mm6492 pointed out, that style fell flat in the playoffs.

Quote:
Yes, we have 3 very good centers. I actually think that is one of the keys to why this team was successful. If you take away one of them the defense now only has two lines to worry about as opposed to 3 and whoever the "3rd" center was is now facing better defensive players.

There is 60 minutes in a game. If the 4th line center plays like 6-8 minutes that leaves you 52-54 minutes to spread between 3 centers. That is an average of 18 minutes per center which is perfectly fine. One night Carter will get 23 minutes, the next night he will get 15 minutes, depends on how we match up with the opponent that night. Most of Richards points came on the powerplay anyway and since he gets a lot of PK time as well, I say you decrease his ES minutes by a couple and give them to Briere.

Balance is key in my opinion.

No need to keep debating it cause we just need to agree to disagree. Fact of the matter is, until I see Briere fully committed to becoming a wing, and he ends up being successful at it, he is a center in my opinion and I go into next year expecting him to play center with Gagne and ???? as his wings.
We have the makings of an incredibly good 3rd line with Hartnell and Upshall. I mean, assuming that they get just a competent C, I have no problem with those guys getting 14-16 mins a game and that leaves roughly 40 minutes to divide up between the Carter and Richards lines.

I think Briere would do just fine at wing. He loses so much of his defensively responsibility, so he'll be the first one up ice more often. I mean, Briere and Datsyuk are fairly similar offensive players (Datsyuk is obviously more skilled and better defensively) and Datsyuk just had a career year as an LW. You just make the winger (in this case Briere) the primary puck carrier on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492
I am just saying that Stall has learned to use his size more and with briere at center, he has a huge advantage. Now iof we bring in a jormal sized human being I would be fine with the Stall matchup
and they have plenty of FA's
-Hossa, Malone, Dupis, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts, Hall
- Orpik and Conklin
-Fleury- RFA
I think Staal will move up to 1 of the top 2 lines eventually, they're going to have 3 No.1 Cs pretty soon, so it makes no sense to have one of those guys playing with Ruutu and Kennedy or something.

But I agree that we should bring in a bigger 3rd line C.

A line of Hartnell-Malhotra-Upshall would be such a pain to play against and to be honest, I wouldn't mind having those guys match up on Crosby or Malkin.

Old
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
That's true, but I mean, they can still let him do that in the zone, he most sets up behind the net on the PP and he will still be a C on the PP.

Also due to Ruff's coaching and as mm6492 pointed out, that style fell flat in the playoffs.
I am not saying we should play that exact style, just pointing out that I think the point everyone is not taking into consideration here is that the dmen moving the puck is a huge factor in the type of game someone like Briere plays.

Quote:
We have the makings of an incredibly good 3rd line with Hartnell and Upshall. I mean, assuming that they get just a competent C, I have no problem with those guys getting 14-16 mins a game and that leaves roughly 40 minutes to divide up between the Carter and Richards lines.
Who plays with Carter if Upshall and Hartnell are on the 3rd line? Knuble?

Quote:
I think Briere would do just fine at wing. He loses so much of his defensively responsibility, so he'll be the first one up ice more often. I mean, Briere and Datsyuk are fairly similar offensive players (Datsyuk is obviously more skilled and better defensively) and Datsyuk just had a career year as an LW. You just make the winger (in this case Briere) the primary puck carrier on that line.
I think everyone is missing my point. I am not saying that Briere wont do fine at wing, I am sure he will do fine. The point is almost everyone debating the fact that he should be moved to wing is almost implying that he needs to do that to be successful when he has been a successful center in the league for many years. I understand the fundamentals in that being on the wing takes away some defensive responsibility from him, but it doesnt always help. Look how terrible Recchi was defensively in Pittsburgh for example. He was on the wing. LeClair hurt us the last couple years and also Pittsburgh defensively as well, the only thing that saved us here was Handzus played with him. Moving someone to the wing may help, but it doesnt automatically hide that player. A good coach will find away to take advantage of him on the wing as well. Briere is a smart player and works hard that majority of the time. I think what hurts him is 1) his size, 2) he doesnt have the best straight away speed, he is more of a shifty player. However, I still think the biggest contributor to his defensive deficiencies here was that he was more often than not asked to help get the puck out of the zone when the dmen should be doing that.

EDIT: The other thing that concerns me is lets assume Briere is moving to the wing. Who does he play with? Richards or Carter? In my opinion, logic suggest Carter. He needs a good playmaker on the wing, his size makes up for Briere's lack of size and if we want Richards to continue to be a good two way guy, I rather not have Briere on his wing otherwise I feel like he will get some of the Handzus mentallity and sacrifice some of his offensive ability in order to cover up for Briere's defensive deficiencies. We saw this past season that Richards tend to try to do too much himself. That will obviously improve with experience, but I rather him continue to play on a good two way line. Especially considering he is the kind of guy you want playing at the end of the game in all situations so there may be times where you end up in the same position of taking Briere off the ice in that situation.

I also think it causes problems as far as where our wingers play. Knuble ultimately would end up the LW on the top line or the 4th line if you go with Hartnell and Upshall on the 3rd. If not him, who plays the top LW spot? Giroux doesnt have a spot if he earns one, etc. We have a number of good young wingers that can make the team over the next two seasons and I rather see that happen than chemistry problems caused because we moved one of our centers over to wing bumping some of those guys off the roster.

Quote:
A line of Hartnell-Malhotra-Upshall would be such a pain to play against and to be honest, I wouldn't mind having those guys match up on Crosby or Malkin.
I would love Malhotra, been asking for him since last offseason. I would like to keep Upshall with Carter though.

Last edited by mikedifr: 06-12-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old
06-12-2008, 01:59 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I am not saying we should play that exact style, just pointing out that I think the point everyone is not taking into consideration here is that the dmen moving the puck is a huge factor in the type of game someone like Briere plays.
I think this part is extremely overrated tbh. Going into next year, Kimmo, Coburn, Kukkonen, Parent, and Jones can all pass the puck at least at an average level. I mean, look at Detroit's bottom 4, they had Kronwall (average puckmover), Stuart (average), Lilja (average to below average), and Lebda (average).

The key for us and someone that wasn't worked on the entire year was improving gap control between the forwards and the d-man and breaking through the neutral zone as a unit instead of 2 separate entities.

If we ever have a coherent system, a lot of these problems are going to disappear.

Quote:
Who plays with Carter if Upshall and Hartnell are on the 3rd line? Knuble?
I'd ideally want the top-6 to consist of some combination of Richards, Carter, Giroux, Briere, Gagne, and Lupul. Of course Giroux might not be ready for the minutes, but I personally think he will be and he was a great 2-way player in junior.

I personally would want Knuble as a 4th line player and PP specialist which might mean he's only out 11 mins per game.

Quote:
I think everyone is missing my point. I am not saying that Briere wont do fine at wing, I am sure he will do fine. The point is almost everyone debating the fact that he should be moved to wing is almost implying that he needs to do that to be successful when he has been a successful center in the league for many years. I understand the fundamentals in that being on the wing takes away some defensive responsibility from him, but it doesnt always help. Look how terrible Recchi was defensively in Pittsburgh for example. He was on the wing. LeClair hurt us the last couple years and also Pittsburgh defensively as well, the only thing that saved us here was Handzus played with him. Moving someone to the wing may help, but it doesnt automatically hide that player. A good coach will find away to take advantage of him on the wing as well. Briere is a smart player and works hard that majority of the time. I think what hurts him is 1) his size, 2) he doesnt have the best straight away speed, he is more of a shifty player. However, I still think the biggest contributor to his defensive deficiencies here was that he was more often than not asked to help get the puck out of the zone when the dmen should be doing that.

EDIT: The other thing that concerns me is lets assume Briere is moving to the wing. Who does he play with? Richards or Carter? In my opinion, logic suggest Carter. He needs a good playmaker on the wing, his size makes up for Briere's lack of size and if we want Richards to continue to be a good two way guy, I rather not have Briere on his wing otherwise I feel like he will get some of the Handzus mentallity and sacrifice some of his offensive ability in order to cover up for Briere's defensive deficiencies. We saw this past season that Richards tend to try to do too much himself. That will obviously improve with experience, but I rather him continue to play on a good two way line. Especially considering he is the kind of guy you want playing at the end of the game in all situations so there may be times where you end up in the same position of taking Briere off the ice in that situation.
I don't think Briere would be a defensive problem at wing. To be perfectly honest, being a good defensive winger is about working hard, that's mainly how Gagne has gotten to where he is. It's because Hitch made him work hard on defense.

Honestly, Recchi and LeClair were both lazy defensively, Briere works hard defensively which means I think it can work. I think Briere can play with either Richards or Carter although I might prefer Carter right now. Assuming Carter can become less-selfish with the puck, a Gagne-Carter-Briere line does have potential. I mean, you do have 2 triggermen there, but Carter is an above-average playmaker, it might work.

Quote:
I also think it causes problems as far as where our wingers play. Knuble ultimately would end up the LW on the top line or the 4th line if you go with Hartnell and Upshall on the 3rd. If not him, who plays the top LW spot? Giroux doesnt have a spot if he earns one, etc. We have a number of good young wingers that can make the team over the next two seasons and I rather see that happen than chemistry problems caused because we moved one of our centers over to wing bumping some of those guys off the roster.
I personally have no problem with Knuble on the 4th line. He's just not good enough to play on an ES scoring line at this point. Top LW spot I am assuming goes to Gagne although I don't think this team has a definitive top line. Richards and Carter will both center our top lines, I don't see 1 group in our top 6 as being definitely better than the other right now assuming you don't totally stack one.

Quote:
I would love Malhotra, been asking for him since last offseason. I would like to keep Upshall with Carter though.
I think the Upshall-Carter connection is overrated, Upshall is a nice player, but his upside is a 20-20 agitator who might not be quite good enough for our 2nd line.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Removed Vinny

Old
06-18-2008, 04:12 PM
phlacheesesteak

potulny is still under the RFA list btw

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:35 PM
HoverCarle*

Fixed, Thanks

Old
06-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I searched but I couldn't find it, but who was the Defenceman Homer signed from Russia I believe? Lars Pratil? I can't find anything on it. Did he sign an NHL Contract?

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I searched but I couldn't find it, but who was the Defenceman Homer signed from Russia I believe? Lars Pratil? I can't find anything on it. Did he sign an NHL Contract?

It's Jan Platil from Czech Republic. He signed a two-way-deal. Not sure about the salary though.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
HoverCarle*

I want a Malholtra or Vasicek for the 3rd line C

Old
06-22-2008, 05:08 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I want a Malholtra or Vasicek for the 3rd line C
I hate Vasicek personally, just his on-ice personality.

Old
06-24-2008, 01:54 PM
flyersfan3215

Any chance we take a stab at Wellwood, I don't know much about him but he seemed to be doing pretty well last year until he got hurt. My cousins said he had a bit of a problem with his work ethic, but considering the amount of leadership in our lockerroom, I think Wellwood could be a rewarding project as I believe he costs <1million.

flyersfan3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan3215 View Post
Any chance we take a stab at Wellwood, I don't know much about him but he seemed to be doing pretty well last year until he got hurt. My cousins said he had a bit of a problem with his work ethic, but considering the amount of leadership in our lockerroom, I think Wellwood could be a rewarding project as I believe he costs <1million.
Maybe, only if Briere goes to wing and we need a 3rd line C.

But in reality we need a Defencive C

Old
06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan3215 View Post
I would be shocked. He is the type of player that needs a top 6 role or is useless (ie bad defensively) and I can't see how he would ever get one on this team. He would be a good project for a team like Atlanta or Columbus, he could be a good player if a fire is lit under his ass.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
flyersfan3215

Well with our line shuffling and depth, I don't think we really have definite lines. Whatever line Richards centers could be our checking line. In my opinion, it really just depends how our lines look. Wellwood would probably hurt us defensively if he really is as bad as you make him sound, but if he can produce the numbers he did at the beginning of last year I think it would be worth the defensive liability.

flyersfan3215 is offline   Reply With Quote