HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thoughts on three penalty rule

Old
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
cjbhab*

vCash: 500
Thoughts on three penalty rule

I was wondering who here plays with the three penalty and you are ejected from the game rule.

Whats your thoughts on it?

Personally, I think it is stupid. Sometimes the referees are absolutely atrocious and two of the three penalties you get were absolute ******** calls.

I don't like it at all, I know the league is called "Adult Safe", but it is still hockey, the three penalty rule is bush league.

If the NHL had this rule, I would stop watching hockey all together.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Synergy27

I agree. The rule should definitely be amended to "three violent penalties" at least. I mean, it's one thing if you get sent to the box three times for slashing, but it's another thing entirely if you get say a tripping call, a delay of game call, and an unsportsmanlike conduct or something.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

The rec leagues here have them too. It's three stick minor penalties and you're out. e.g. slash, trip, hooking, cross-check, etc.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
See this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=517748

The three-strikes rule gets put in place because there are idiots playing rec hockey who haven't figured out that the game is just for fun. Those guys make games no fun to play for anyone on any team. If they get tossed enough, eventually they stop coming back, which is good for everyone.

It's pretty tough to accidentally get three penalties in a rec league game. You have to be pretty clumsy or in the wrong spot at the wrong time an awful lot.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
CaptBrannigan

I like the rule, if it's 3 seperate instances. For example, a penalty plus a two minute unsportsmanlike for running your mouth should not count as two of the three strikes.

According to USA Hockey rules, 5 penalties in a game is an automatic one game suspension. Anybody ever seen this enforced? I have seen it enforced if no other suspension was already handed down. For example, if one of the 5 was a fighting call and it carried a suspension then the extra suspension for 5 penalties would be ignored.

CaptBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Depends on the call.

I mean, I can easily get 3 calls when I played summer league. Hell, I got 3 in one period for "bodychecking."

05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Completely depends on the refs. There's no reason to get 3 penalties in a game if it's legit, but like you've mentioned, sometimes there's nothing but ******** calls and it could end up costing you a game.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
The Devil In I
#NoPainNoLaine

I can't stand it. Especially since you're basically taken out of the game once you get 2 penalties. You know if you take 1 more, even a ******** incidental tripping call, you get tossed. So you can't even try to get your stick in to try and strip the puck from someone without worrying about possibly being called for a trip or a hook. And you end up walking on eggshells the rest of the game.

3 penalties consisting of at least 2 slash/cross check/unsportsmanlike penalties? Fine. But to get tossed for being overly competitive (but keeping it clean - no potential injury penalties) and committing something like an accidental trip or hooking someone on a breakaway is a load of ****.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
See this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=517748

The three-strikes rule gets put in place because there are idiots playing rec hockey who haven't figured out that the game is just for fun. Those guys make games no fun to play for anyone on any team. If they get tossed enough, eventually they stop coming back, which is good for everyone.

It's pretty tough to accidentally get three penalties in a rec league game. You have to be pretty clumsy or in the wrong spot at the wrong time an awful lot.
Exactly! There are idiots that are playing like Detroit's scouts are watching them! It's friggen beer league hockey!!!!

I agree that if someone gets a penalty for jawing at the ref it shouldn't count towards the 3, as well as a coincidental call, i don't think that should count either, but that is just me.

An even dumber rule, in the league I play in, if you get 2 stick infractions (High stick, slash, crosscheck, or spear) you are out of the game. This includes a double minor for high sticking!!!!

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
If you can't control yourself, why should you be allowed to play?

I've played with my share of crap refs but you really shouldn't and can't blame everything on everyone else. If you run your mouth, be prepared to reap what you sow. If you're constantly taking whacks at someone, be prepared to reap what you sow. As much as everyone on the ice would love to "who me?" everything you're ultimately responsible for your own actions. If you really can't control yourself and prevent that third penalty then I don't feel sorry for you. If the Beer Leagues are too sissy for you, head over to the MMA gym where you won't need to worry about any sissys or 3 penalty rules.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I don't really care. I don't get three penalties in one season, nevermind one game.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:31 PM
cjbhab*

I didn't do anything too bad though.

I got a delay of game for puck over glass.

I got a hook because a player dove badly.

I got a hook because a guy held my stick.

Old
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
MeHateHe

Hands up anyone who has ever been given a penalty that they deserve.

No one?

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
cjbhab*

yes, I have been given several penalties that I deserve, and I don't complain when that happens, but when a guy holds my stick and I get called for hooking.. that is not legit.

I've been given some stupid penalties in my time, including this one:

I'm on a breakaway, the guy trips me, his stick blade gets caught in my skate.. I along with his stick go flying into the boards, his stick is still caught in my blade, so I pick his stick up out of my skate and drop it on the ice.. referee blows the whistle.. so i think '' ****in rights, powerplay"

the ref points at me and calls me for interference for picking up the guys stick.. needless to say, i threw my stick in the box and slammed the door and he gave me 10 mins for unsportsmanlike, thats absolute crap.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

In my league its 4 and your out.

I think it's very fair.

I used to ref at HS level and some adult leagues...they take a lot of crap, epically in a adult league because there is no coach to calm the players down.

95% of the time when I take a penally I can accept it, even if I don't think it really should have been called...I understand where they are coming from and I understand they are doing it as a part time job, they are not pro referees.

Heck i'll even joke around with the ref and say "Ah damn, you saw it, I was hoping you'd guys would miss it". They take a lot of unwarranted crap.

FLYLine27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:

No one?
Yeah, one time I tripped somebody.

I'm a goon.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
I like the rule, if it's 3 seperate instances. For example, a penalty plus a two minute unsportsmanlike for running your mouth should not count as two of the three strikes.

According to USA Hockey rules, 5 penalties in a game is an automatic one game suspension. Anybody ever seen this enforced? I have seen it enforced if no other suspension was already handed down. For example, if one of the 5 was a fighting call and it carried a suspension then the extra suspension for 5 penalties would be ignored.

In my league they always tack on the suspension even if you have another one plus every time you get the 5 penaltys they double the games you get suspended for.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:59 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Depends on the call.

I mean, I can easily get 3 calls when I played summer league. Hell, I got 3 in one period for "bodychecking."
That sounds pretty bad, maybe you should ease up.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

dumb rule. my team mate got booted for first getting a 4 minute high sticking penalty, then a weak 2 minute hooking call.

power plays make the game fun

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Gino 14

Good rule. As already stated, if you can't control yourself on the ice, you don't need to be there. Whether from a lack of skill or a lack of control, three and out is a good deal.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

in our league there are only two 22 minutes periods. That's 44 minutes of hockey and the clock doesn't stop. Penalties are 3 minutes. If you get 3 penalties, you've put your team down a man for 9 minutes, which works out to be 20% of the ice time. If you're rolling 3 forward lines, everybody gets about 15 minutes of ice time. You burn 9 of those 15 minutes in the box? Gimme a break.

Getting 3 penalties in adult rec league?

NEWS FLASH

Nobody cares if you win or lose or how many goals you get. NOBODY. Not even your wife/girlfriend/other. There are no reporters there for a reason. It's just a group of guys playing glorified shinny. Get over yourselves.

slamigo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Most penalties I've gotten in a game was two. Got one for pushing a guy down from behind with my stick (they called it a crosscheck although I had placed the stick on his back before I pushed). The second was after I got out of the box, I was fighting for the puck and I slashed down a guys stick. One of the refs was laughing cause I got two straight penalties. I was like this is more than I've gotten in the last three or four seasons combined.

I could see, though, where taking three dumb penalties causes you to get thrown out of a game where you're paying to play would stink. Although I think my league it's 4 or 5 penalties before you get thrown out.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-23-2008 at 09:51 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
IBleedOil247

Quote:

No one?
I pretty much deserve every penalty I get

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Everest

Our league uses it and its totally neccesary. I'd even like to see it down to 2 penalties on certain types of penalties..IE: Bad behavoir et al.

If your taking 3 penalties in a no hit game...you either need some more skating lessons or take a serious look in the mirror.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
yes, I have been given several penalties that I deserve, and I don't complain when that happens, but when a guy holds my stick and I get called for hooking.. that is not legit.

I've been given some stupid penalties in my time, including this one:

I'm on a breakaway, the guy trips me, his stick blade gets caught in my skate.. I along with his stick go flying into the boards, his stick is still caught in my blade, so I pick his stick up out of my skate and drop it on the ice.. referee blows the whistle.. so i think '' ****in rights, powerplay"

the ref points at me and calls me for interference for picking up the guys stick.. needless to say, i threw my stick in the box and slammed the door and he gave me 10 mins for unsportsmanlike, thats absolute crap.
Typical habs fan, it's never their fault!

(I kid, I kid )

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote