HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse next year

Old
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
I'm confident that Lats will have a strong year next season. He had a lot of difficulty in the beginning of the year but by the end and in the playoffs, I think he showed great improvement.

One thing thats very refreshing is that he's willing to fight to protect his teamates and he shows a bit of aggression on the attack. He's not the fastest player out there but he's definitely not a slow player (which he can develop very easily). With more development and playing time, I'm confident he will be an asset to the Habs very very soon.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Habbiebo0gie

lol @ "the scrubs"

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Thats a fallacy. Most of Lats production has come when playing with Koivu not the scrubs. His production with the scrubs is almost non existent.
That only emphasizes my point.

Latendresse has been one of the most productive Habs at even-strength over the course of season. Latendresse's overall even-strength production in terms of points per sixty minutes of icetime is way up there, 6th on the team behind the first line and Sergei and Grabovski, who played in fewer games. Notably, he has been more productive offensively with his icetime than Koivu and Higgins, although both have played tougher opposition overall. His goals per sixty minutes beat everyone on the team except Ryder and Kovalev.

These totals include all his icetime this season, whether he spent it with Koivu or with Dandenault.

The fact that he has been so productive in total, while spending a good 75% of icetime with scrubs and being unproductive, also means that he was even more productive than average when teamed up with real offensive players like Koivu.

Remember, he was one of the most productive Habs at even-strength overall. If we say he was completely unproductive for 50% of his icetime because he was used with grinders, that means he stuffed all his production in half the quality icetime.

Considering the torrid scoring pace he's been on with Koivu, it seems like it was a terrible idea to split them up...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I'm confident that Lats will have a strong year next season. He had a lot of difficulty in the beginning of the year but by the end and in the playoffs, I think he showed great improvement.
When exactly in the playoffs did he show his great improvement? When he had 1 point and was -5 in the 8 games he played or when he was in the pressbox for four straight games because of his poor play? Other than one nice show of poise when he fired one off the crossbar in the dying minutes of our playoff series versus Philly, Lats was totally ineffective in the playoffs.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That only emphasizes my point.

Latendresse has been one of the most productive Habs at even-strength over the course of season. Latendresse's overall even-strength production in terms of points per sixty minutes of icetime is way up there, 6th on the team behind the first line and Sergei and Grabovski, who played in fewer games. Notably, he has been more productive offensively with his icetime than Koivu and Higgins, although both have played tougher opposition overall. His goals per sixty minutes beat everyone on the team except Ryder and Kovalev.

These totals include all his icetime this season, whether he spent it with Koivu or with Dandenault.

The fact that he has been so productive in total, while spending a good 75% of icetime with scrubs and being unproductive, also means that he was even more productive than average when teamed up with real offensive players like Koivu.

Remember, he was one of the most productive Habs at even-strength overall. If we say he was completely unproductive for 50% of his icetime because he was used with grinders, that means he stuffed all his production in half the quality icetime.

Considering the torrid scoring pace he's been on with Koivu, it seems like it was a terrible idea to split them up...
I have advocated he play with Koivu, i don't deny that, however just pointing that you put forth a very common misconception on these boards.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Teufelsdreck

I really don't know if Latendresse will become a star. I don't rule it out, but I'm not as giddily optimistic as some fans. He could flatten out as a player who consistently scores 20-25 goals a season. Something would have to happen to get him past that plateau, such as his learning to skate better. He'd also have to have the benefit of playing with a center like Koivu, and who know who'll be around after Koivu retires?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:11 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He could flatten out as a player who consistently scores 20-25 goals a season. Something would have to happen to get him past that plateau, such as his learning to skate better.
That "something" may be as simple as getting regular power play time. Incidentally, his skating would be less of an issue there, as would his other weakness -- defensive inexperience. Whereas his strengths of hockey sense and shooting would be better exploited, and he may get the opportunity to stand in front of the net then, too.

His even-strength production is already pretty decent, and there's no reason to think he's topped out his production even there as a 20-year-old playing with fourth-liners.

Quote:
He'd also have to have the benefit of playing with a center like Koivu, and who know who'll be around after Koivu retires?
If Koivu retires and the Habs do not replace him with some other offensive center, they have problems far more serious than hampering Latendresse's development.

Winning hockey games, for example, may prove to be a challenge.

Last edited by MathMan: 05-20-2008 at 01:18 AM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I really don't know if Latendresse will become a star. I don't rule it out, but I'm not as giddily optimistic as some fans. He could flatten out as a player who consistently scores 20-25 goals a season. Something would have to happen to get him past that plateau, such as his learning to skate better. He'd also have to have the benefit of playing with a center like Koivu, and who know who'll be around after Koivu retires?
Do you know what, a 25 goal scorer who adds a physical element and hopefully learns to be a better net presence will add something Montreal is sorely lacking. I am not really "giddily optimistic" about Lats either but I think people forget that if he can bring what i described to the habs, he won't be a star but very valuable to the team still.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:53 AM
peperebougon*

Lats shoud park his big ass in front of the net.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Toro

There has been some good back and forth discussion here. MathMan has it pegged.

Lats's skating woes are overdone. He has improved his overall speed a lot, the problem with his skating is his acceleration and turning ability. His hockey sense is really high, along with his hands and passing ability.

When Lats is on a line with puck carriers like Koivu and S. Kost he is good at getting open and going to the net but he is usually playing with the dump and chasers.

Lats is following the same path as guys like him in the past, Leclair, Bertuzzi, neely etc. Even if lats doesn't become the next neely, he is a very good player that has a big body that is maturing. Just wait till this guy is 25. All you Lats haters will be eating Crow.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Fozz

I expect Latendresse to improve marginally next season. I really think it's going to take this guy another 3-4 years before breaking out. He'll get there, someday.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I am sure that if he get good ice time and play with Chipchura or Saku, he will put the points on the board
There's a big difference between playing on the top 2 lines with Saku(where he could score 30) or 3rd/4th line with Chipchura(where he'd do well to get 15-18).

What Lats needs more than anything at this stage is ice time and a center that can get him the puck, THAT's what's holding him back, not experience, skating, lazyness or anything else.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We don't need him to be a star, we need him to bring some of what A.Kost brings to the 1st line...size and finishing ability. Look at what Malone is doing these playoffs, Lats has more upside than him.

Old
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Habnot

The problem is that every year we hear the same things. He loses weight, he will improve his skating, he will work harder....

The NHL is not a development league. The Habs have given him an opportunity he wouldn't of had in 29 other franchises. He needs to man up and become a true pro. Work is what is needed on all levels, physical, skating, commitment.

Lately I heard that he will again work on his weight this summer. What doesn't Gui understand? Stop with he's only 20 years old crap. He is a professional athlete, he better start behaving like one or he will find his ass in the AHL sooner than you think.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We don't need him to be a star, we need him to bring some of what A.Kost brings to the 1st line...size and finishing ability. Look at what Malone is doing these playoffs, Lats has more upside than him.
LMFAO!!!!!Talk about drinking the kool-aid.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
LMFAO!!!!!Talk about drinking the kool-aid.
Drinking kool-aid?

Lats was an early 2nd tound pick, Malone was a 4th rounder.

Lats has 32 career goals in 153 career games at 19 and 20.

Malone has 87 goals in 299 career games at 24, 25, 26, 27, 28...a lot of them with either Crosby or Malkin. He was playing college hockey at 19 and 20.

It's pretty safe to assume Lats will average more than 22 goals a year in his prime even without a Malkin setting him up.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
CenterHice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
One thing for sure, all the send him to AHL crap is over because he would need to be put on waivers first.

*Never mind, people wil still propose that anyway...
It has been mentioned, and maybe you can clarify, that Gui has not met the minimum years or games played to have to go through waivers prior to being sent to Hamilton.
Has he played enough years or games to have to go through waivers?
What is the rule?

CenterHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Drinking kool-aid?

It's pretty safe to assume Lats will average more than 22 goals a year in his prime even without a Malkin setting him up.
You can't make that projection when Lats is playing himself out of a spot. On the Habs depth chart, if you include 1 UFA signing, he will have trouble cracking the first three lines next year. I don't see the signs of progression and furthermore, he became a non factor in the playoffs this year while guys like A and S Kost became key contributors.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I'm not a big Lats fan. I don't expect he will develop into anything other than a 3rd or 4th line player at best.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
BadKiwi

Habnot, during the regular season Latendresse has been a better contributor then the likes of Dandenault, Kostopoulos and Smolinski. On top of this, he used his time to learn. He acknowledges his flaws, something that he might not have done in the juniors. He never complained when benched, he knows it is part of the learning curve. Yet you still complain?

Sure a Dandenault v2 would be alot better on our forth line, and I would be very happy, bearing injuries, to have a Dandenault on our first line.

It is simple, you can contribute AND develop in the NHL. Just acknowledge that the habs did the right move for the team and for the player by moving Latendresse in the nhl at 19. Stop the useless hate...

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You can't make that projection when Lats is playing himself out of a spot. On the Habs depth chart, if you include 1 UFA signing, he will have trouble cracking the first three lines next year. I don't see the signs of progression and furthermore, he became a non factor in the playoffs this year while guys like A and S Kost became key contributors.
S.Kost was a ghost against Phillie. If Carbo had put Lats on Koivu's wing, maybe we'd have scored a few garbage goals and rattled Biron's horseshoe loose.

Don't get me wrong, I love S.Kost, but the Habs need a guy like Lats to play more, especially against teams that crowd the front of the net.

Old
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post

It is simple, you can contribute AND develop in the NHL. Just acknowledge that the habs did the right move for the team and for the player by moving Latendresse in the nhl at 19. Stop the useless hate...
Where is the hate? I like Latendresse and cheer for him to become a greater contributor for this team. But that doesn't preclude me from being objective.

As for the point of moving Lats at 19 in the NHL, it's a moot point. We can't go back and change the variables and analyze the results. I don't know what super powers you have that allows you to go back into the past, change history, and proclaim that things would not be better.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Reuben

Latendresse by the numbers

16-Goals scored by Latendresse in each of his first two NHL seasons, bringing his career total to 32 before celebrating his 21st birthday.

4-Players in Canadiens history to have scored more goals than Latendresse before turning 21, including Hall of Famers Henri Richard (37) and Bernard Geoffrion (38), as well as Stephane Richer (41) and Mario Tremblay (50).

2-Players in Habs history to have played more regular season games before age 21 than Latendresse (153), including Mario Tremblay (208) and Petr Svoboda (216).

134-Hits thrown by Latendresse during the 2007-08 regular season, the most of any Canadiens forward.

3-Players selected before Latendresse at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft to have amassed more career points than the Habs winger, including top pick Sidney Crosby (293), 44th pick Paul Stastny (149), and 11th overall pick Anze Kopitar (138).

85-Percentage of Latendresse’s regular season point total that came at even strength (27), the highest among all Canadiens players who notched 20 or more points in 2007-08.

3-Habs players to have scored more 5-on-5 goals in 2007-08 than Latendresse’s 14 goals, including Alex Kovalev (18), Tomas Plekanec (15) and Christopher Higgins (15).

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I take it Latendresse will become a hall of famer?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Where is the hate? I like Latendresse and cheer for him to become a greater contributor for this team. But that doesn't preclude me from being objective.

As for the point of moving Lats at 19 in the NHL, it's a moot point. We can't go back and change the variables and analyze the results. I don't know what super powers you have that allows you to go back into the past, change history, and proclaim that things would not be better.
Sorry if I confused your critics with hate.

Do you deny that Latendresse has been more useful then 3 or 4 other roster players? Do you deny that Latendresse's flaws are more apparent in the NHL then in the Q or the AHL?

Maybe Latendresse would have been better if had stayed longer in the Q, you are right, we cannot know the what ifs. But what I do know is that the reason you don't rush a player in the NHL is because a) he is not of caliber to play there or b) you risk messing up his confidence. I truly believe that Latendresse did not fall in group a) or b) (the stats above kinda prove my point).

So if he made a move to NHL without altering his confidence and without causing trouble to the team, I have to conclude that it was a successful move. You don't need any psychic powers to conclude this.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote