HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Length stick problem

Old
05-16-2008, 10:15 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

vCash: 500
Length stick problem

Hi, long time reader.

Got a little personal dilemma here, hope you guys can give some input. This a long one, sorry!

I had a TPS Response R2 stick, Nash curve, Regular flex. It was at the stock length, and at 5.5 lie it was perfect for stickhandling.

But with the longer length, I couldn't really get that quick snapper off when I was skating in stride, and slapping it felt really awkward as I am used to shorter wood sticks (the Response is my first one piece). I did a lot of shooting around with this stick so it's not like I never practiced and are looking for an easy way out.

So I cut the Response a couple inches to see if it would help my matter. It made it a LOT stiffer which ruined it, and I also kept "missing" the puck when I would try to get it while it's loose. Overall stickhandling was just different, but I could get the better shot with that length, and slap shots/one timers felt comfortable again.

I'm pretty sure it's the change in lie that messed up the stickhandling. I think it would have to be slightly higher if I cut it shorter. I used Naslund woodies which was a 6 lie at the same length.

So the dilemma is should I:

a) Get a 6 lie stick at the normal length and then cut it. This is what I initially was thinking except I think it would make it overly stiff for my liking.

B ) Get an Intermediate stick which is about the same length as they make retail woodies, and able to keep a whippier flex.

c) Just go back the retail length sticks and forget it.

Thanks for listening!

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Hi, long time reader.

Got a little personal dilemma here, hope you guys can give some input. This a long one, sorry!

I had a TPS Response R2 stick, Nash curve, Regular flex. It was at the stock length, and at 5.5 lie it was perfect for stickhandling.

But with the longer length, I couldn't really get that quick snapper off when I was skating in stride, and slapping it felt really awkward as I am used to shorter wood sticks (the Response is my first one piece). I did a lot of shooting around with this stick so it's not like I never practiced and are looking for an easy way out.

So I cut the Response a couple inches to see if it would help my matter. It made it a LOT stiffer which ruined it, and I also kept "missing" the puck when I would try to get it while it's loose. Overall stickhandling was just different, but I could get the better shot with that length, and slap shots/one timers felt comfortable again.

I'm pretty sure it's the change in lie that messed up the stickhandling. I think it would have to be slightly higher if I cut it shorter. I used Naslund woodies which was a 6 lie at the same length.

So the dilemma is should I:

a) Get a 6 lie stick at the normal length and then cut it. This is what I initially was thinking except I think it would make it overly stiff for my liking.

B ) Get an Intermediate stick which is about the same length as they make retail woodies, and able to keep a whippier flex.

c) Just go back the retail length sticks and forget it.

Thanks for listening!
Chadd at MSH definitely had the best advice addressing your issue.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 03:57 AM
bmxer

Quote:
(the Response is my first one piece).
LOL
How old are you and what kind of caliber hockey do you play?

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 05:04 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

21, pretty much a beer league. A bunch of people around my age on a team playing. This is my 3rd season, I've always used woods because I'm a cheapskate basically =P

Old
05-17-2008, 01:44 PM
McNasty

How long have you been using the TPS? I would give it a bit, sometimes its just hard because it's different but once you get used to it it pays off.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer View Post
LOL
How old are you and what kind of caliber hockey do you play?
hey thats fine. im slowly migrating back to the old woodies. i found one wood stick that has identical feel to my one-piece.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 07:01 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Yea especially if you're buying the low end one-piece sticks, the feel does not compare to wood at all.

Old
05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Yea especially if you're buying the low end one-piece sticks, the feel does not compare to wood at all.
Ok, story time! When I was in Mexico, we designed the first Aztec Tournament (U16)with teams from Canada, United States, Latvia, Ukraine, and Mexico in a simple round robin format.

I had the chance to meet a player on the Ukrainian team, his name was Dainius Zubrus and he played on the Druzhba’78 team. At that time, I told him that someday he was going to play in the NHL, he was that good. His skating skill were exceptional. But that was thanks to his coach...Ivan Pravilov. http://druzhba78.com/info/

One of the things that I notice was, all of the players had on crappy equipment with skate blades with hardly any blade left to skate on.

All of the stick were cut way to short, so that the end of the stick were about 8 to 10 inch below their chins.

When I asked the coach why (through an Interpreter) he said that it forces the player to keep that deep knee bend, and that if they don't keep their knees bent, they will miss the puck.

So the story goes...

For you, if you are having problems with your lie...just bend your knees a little more to compensate for the lie. Maybe your stride will get better. Theirs did!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 07:01 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I had the chance to meet a player on the Ukrainian team, his name was Dainius Zubrus and he played on the Druzhba’78 team. At that time, I told him that someday he was going to play in the NHL, he was that good. His skating skill were exceptional. But that was thanks to his coach...Ivan Pravilov. http://druzhba78.com/info/
Neat story!! And you were right, Dainius is a manbeast for the Devils!!

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

You need a thread dedicated to hockey stories!