HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 11:42 AM
kaherdin

vCash: 500
Smyth?

I heard on sportsnet yeasterday (i hope someone heard the same) tha the Oilers would maybe trade Smyth to shake things up, and that the Habs were interested. Smyth is playing not so great with oilers right now (bad penalties). What do you think the habs could give up to have him. Smyth with Sak and Ryder..would be great or with Zednik and Ribs. I think he is the kind of guy (with a lot of heart) the habs want, a true leader.

Why not: Hainsey and Hossa (maybe something more) for Smyth?

Old
02-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaherdin
I heard on sportsnet yeasterday (i hope someone heard the same) tha the Oilers would maybe trade Smyth to shake things up, and that the Habs were interested. Smyth is playing not so great with oilers right now (bad penalties). What do you think the habs could give up to have him. Smyth with Sak and Ryder..would be great or with Zednik and Ribs. I think he is the kind of guy (with a lot of heart) the habs want, a true leader.

Why not: Hainsey and Hossa (maybe something more) for Smyth?
Hainsey, Bulis and Milroy
for
Ryan Smith and a pick

It hurts to give up Bulis but you got to give to get, hopefully Hossa can step into his spot and bring the same kind of game

this rumour is being reported everywhere right now, I think this deal might actually go down, on Habfans it was reported that sportsnet announced it today again!

Old
02-10-2004, 11:54 AM
All-Star

You know? This all sounds very familiar...
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=50547

Old
02-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Well if you go check the discussion on the trading board about that, Oils' fans seem to have agreed that the only viable trade between Montreal and them if they were to give up Smyth would be to fill 3 needs: center, PP QB and goalie. What was proposed and sounded good for both sides was Hainsey, Plekanec and Garon for Smyth. I think if ever Smyth were to go, it would be for a deal like this one.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:03 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

CBC Sportsline Rumor mill says the same, Montreal interested in Smyth

Old
02-10-2004, 12:03 PM
crakced

I think Hainsey, Garon and Pleckanec is way to much for Smyth. 2 out of the 3 maybe, but not all 3.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Drunk World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Well if you go check the discussion on the trading board about that, Oils' fans seem to have agreed that the only viable trade between Montreal and them if they were to give up Smyth would be to fill 3 needs: center, PP QB and goalie. What was proposed and sounded good for both sides was Hainsey, Plekanec and Garon for Smyth. I think if ever Smyth were to go, it would be for a deal like this one.
IN my own opinio that is too much...I do however feel that the Oilers would want Garon to be a part of the deal...I'd do Garon and Hossa for Smyth...if plekanek would be part of the trade...I would also ask for Larouque or Moreau to be part of the deal...

Old
02-10-2004, 12:22 PM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakced
I think Hainsey, Garon and Pleckanec is way to much for Smyth. 2 out of the 3 maybe, but not all 3.
I agree that it's a lot, but it would adress a dire need in Montreal (power forward) without sacrificing much. Since it would be overpaying, I'd think draft choices or prospects may be added to compensate...

Edit: By saying "not sacrificing much" I mean: We have an offensive PP quarterback in Markov, we have depth in the system at the forward position, and have viable alternatives to Garon in Hamilton.

Last edited by smnhppu: 02-10-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 12:27 PM
6 String Benny

One of my buddies (Flyers fan) said that Scott Taylor said last night on the score that Lowe wanted Komi and Perez for Smyth and BG's reply was to throw in Brewer to make the trade viable.I did not watch the score last night (the wife wanted to watch Big Fat Obnoxious Guy or whatever you call it).Can someone confirm this rumour for me?

Old
02-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Darz

Put me down as one who would love to see Smyth end up in Montreal, but I'm afraid of what the cost might be. Obviously Edmonton would want young players, prospects and/or picks in return and I'm pretty sure if they made it known that Smyth was available there would be a bidding war.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
(the wife wanted to watch Big Fat Obnoxious Guy or whatever you call it).Can someone confirm this rumour for me?
I think its called coaches corner!

Baddum ching! :p

so essentially:

Komi, Perezhogin
for
Smyth, Brewer

where do i sign??

Old
02-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order
IN my own opinio that is too much...I do however feel that the Oilers would want Garon to be a part of the deal...I'd do Garon and Hossa for Smyth...if plekanek would be part of the trade...I would also ask for Larouque or Moreau to be part of the deal...
You'll never get Smyth for that package. What was proposed was EITHER Markov and Garon OR Hainsey, Plekanec and Garon. But any way you look at it, it will AT THE VERY LEAST command Hainsey and Garon to grab Smyth. The later deal offers the Habs the advantage of not messing with the current starting lineup and just adding a player without substracting a key player like Markov. Hossa doesn't have good value. Edmonton would never agree to let go their heart and soul player for a struggling prospect like him. You have to give to receive. If you're not prepared to give fair value and maybe a bit more (since there will probably be a huge bidding war for Smyth as the trading deadline nears), forget about him. And that is the case not only for Smyth, but all the other coveted players on the market out there such as O'Neill for example.

Last edited by Munchausen: 02-10-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
so essentially:

Komi, Perezhogin
for
Smyth, Brewer

where do i sign??
Ya, that sounds pretty good. Doubt Edmonton fans would be all over that though!!!

Old
02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Ya, that sounds pretty good. Doubt Edmonton fans would be all over that though!!!
i feel like that deal would bump us up one echelon in the nhl food chain

we'd no longer be pretenders IMO but contenders

Old
02-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Smyth makes a lot of sense!

It makes sense to go after a guy like Ryan Symth, but if its gona take both hainsey and hossa I would say No. But if its one of them plus a pick, i would love to see the deal get done. Here is why--

To start off Zednik seems to play much better with saku, his overal effort just has not been the same by playing him with ribs.
Sure a guy like symth would look great on a line with Koivu, but i really think he would be better off on the second line with ribs and bulis (get rid of dagenais.) just so we can get Zed back with saks.

This way Zednik would perform better, and im pretty sure that ryan smyth would be able to perform well with ribs and bulis.
Also by aquiring symth we would get rid of dags and get a real physical presence on that line.

Symth is exactly what we need, but if it envolves both hainsey and hossa i dont think its worth it. However by looking at the way trades have gone in the last few years, including last night for burke i really think that a porspect plus a pick could get it done for smyth. Edmonton doesnt usually ask for much, so why would they now!

Lets all pray now that it does get done at a minimum cost

Old
02-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Darz

Quote:
i feel like that deal would bump us up one echelon in the nhl food chain

we'd no longer be pretenders IMO but contenders
Agreed!!! But I don't see it happening.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
It makes sense to go after a guy like Ryan Symth, but if its gona take both hainsey and hossa I would say No.
If it took "only" Hainsey and Hossa for the deal to go through, BG would be giggling like a little girl and be all over it like a fat kid on a lolipop.

You overvalue Hainsey's and Hossa' value or undervalue Smyth's. Be prepared to give up THAT and maybe Garon too to land Smyth.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
If Kevin Lowe does make a mistake and trade Smyth I sure hope we could land him.

I don't think he would cost that much.

Still a top prospect and probably a replacement player for the roster.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
02-10-2004, 12:52 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
If it took "only" Hainsey and Hossa for the deal to go through, BG would be giggling like a little girl and be all over it like a fat kid on a lolipop.

You overvalue Hainsey's and Hossa' value or undervalue Smyth's. Be prepared to give up THAT and maybe Garon too to land Smyth.
IMO Garon will be the reason the deal doesn't go through if the Lowe asks for him. I just can't see Gainey trading him without a solid backup in the system. He would need to trade someone else for a reliable backup goalie.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I dont think that symth is worth more than a prospect plus a pick. He has only had two 30 goal seasons, where the last one was in 2000-2001, 4 years ago. He also hasnt played a full season since 2000-2001. I really think that because of these "factors" that his value is not as high as people think!

I just dont think you get bang for the buck these days when trades occur.

Peace

Old
02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:

so essentially:

Komi, Perezhogin
for
Smyth, Brewer

where do i sign??
I'd make that deal, although I suspect that in a few years time we'll like to have it back. Smyth will always be better than Perezhogin, IMO, but I think Komisarek has more upside than Brewer, who seems to have levelled off.

As for that trade making us contenders, I think we'd need a couple more tweaks, like upgrades over Juneau and Dags and a mobile puck-moving defenseman.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:01 PM
StanleyCH25

You do realize that there's a thread that was already started on this exact same topic, don't you? Was there really a need to make a new thread for your own comments?

Old
02-10-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:

so essentially:

Komi, Perezhogin
for
Smyth, Brewer

where do i sign??
No thank you! that deal is not horrible from a MTL point of view but I wouldn't do it, Komi and Perezhogin at their full potential will bring more to the Habs than Smyth and Brewer

Old
02-10-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I'd make that deal, although I suspect that in a few years time we'll like to have it back. Smyth will always be better than Perezhogin, IMO, but I think Komisarek has more upside than Brewer, who seems to have levelled off.

As for that trade making us contenders, I think we'd need a couple more tweaks, like upgrades over Juneau and Dags and a mobile puck-moving defenseman.
I'm not saying Perezhogin is a better player but if he reaches his full potential, he'll put up more points than Smyth, Smyth is good, but not that good

Old
02-10-2004, 01:09 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
One of my buddies (Flyers fan) said that Scott Taylor said last night on the score that Lowe wanted Komi and Perez for Smyth and BG's reply was to throw in Brewer to make the trade viable.I did not watch the score last night (the wife wanted to watch Big Fat Obnoxious Guy or whatever you call it).Can someone confirm this rumour for me?
I don't think either GM would make that many details available to anyone, so I choose not to believe this. Now, I'm not calling you or your friend a liar, but the Score has been over-anxious to get the scoop before, so...

Closed Thread