HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Under the radar pick-ups?

Old
05-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Rotang

vCash: 500
Under the radar pick-ups?

All of a sudden we have a number of contract spots open, and with Gillis acknowledging our prospects are an area for concern, who are a couple of over-agers out of the CHL or NCAA that you think would be worth taking a shot on? Any international players catch your eye at the World Championships?

Here's a breakdown of our contract situation:

The Canucks currently have 27 players under contract throughout the pro ranks, not including a number minor league RFA's who may or may not be extended a qualifying offer.

Balej and Moran signed overseas. Macintyre is likely gone - unless the Canucks believe he's ready for a backup role, I can't see him wanting to come back with the emergence of Schneider. Shannon could receive an offer. Genoway and Fitzgerald will likely be back with the Moose, but probably won't get QO's. Brown, Rypien and McIver should all be extended - bringing us to 31.

And with only a few notable prospects (White, Ellington, Gendur, Shirokov are all that come to mind), Gendur and Ellington will probably be the only two to get contracts unless Gillis can coax Shirokov out of the RSL and convince him to see time in Manitoba.

The big club has about six roster spots to fill, assuming they're all filled from outside the organization, that brings the grand total to 39 contracts out of a potential 50.

-------------------------------------------------------

To put things in perspective - the Canucks had 47 players under contract last year, and 32 of them saw ice-time in the NHL, so we certainly have some significant organizational gaps to fill.

Or we could do what we always do - continue to rely on the Moose scouts for our NHL talent

-edit- fixed some errors that were pointed out, thanks

Last edited by Rotang: 05-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:15 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang View Post
Shannon won't be back IMO, will demand a one-way.
A bit off-topic, but Shannon is an RFA so the Canucks hold his rights so he can't just up and leave, unless he decides he'd rather go play in Europe.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
A bit off-topic, but Shannon is an RFA so the Canucks hold his rights so he can't just up and leave, unless he decides he'd rather go play in Europe.
I was under the impression that Shannon was an UFA because he didn't hit the required games played to remain restricted? I forget what the target number was.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
I was under the impression that Shannon was an UFA because he didn't hit the required games played to remain restricted? I forget what the target number was.
He hit the cutoff of 80 professional games.

Old
05-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Flinch*

I wouldn't mind seeing Maxime Fortunas getting a crack with the main roster next year, serving in a call-up role, perhaps.

Same with Simek's former linemate that was given a ATO with the Moose, Derlago.

Classen, Genoway and FitzGerald should all come back. On the fence with Rypien.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Barney Gumble

Anybody care to guess how many of those "open spots" (re: 50 contract limit) will be taken up by guys picked in this years draft?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:09 AM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
i would like to see the canucks sign richmond boy jeff may. played for the hurricanes in the whl this year. 5th rounder 05 of detroit who went unsigned.
zach smith who signed a ato with the moose is another id look at. keegan dansereau, jason reese, brady leovold, eric doyle, brent regner, Travis Ehrhardt, jordan bendfeld,
these are ll guys in the whl we should look at

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:09 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Pascal Dupuis

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Anybody care to guess how many of those "open spots" (re: 50 contract limit) will be taken up by guys picked in this years draft?
We'll probably sign our first round pick, if he's out of the CHL. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if we inked anyone else, though.

Beyond that, I expect us to sign Ellington and Gendur this summer.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:39 AM
MS

Brady Leavold is a Port Coquitlam product who joined the Salmon Kings after Kelowna was eliminated from the playoffs, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at camp next fall. Same with Zack Smith who signed an ATO with the Moose and joined them for the playoffs ... although Smith is still draft-eligible and it wouldn't be shocking if some other club snatched him. Given that Smith dressed for every Moose playoff game ahead of some Canuck-tied prospects, it's safe to say he impressed enough that he might have a future in the organization.

Brent Regner is a guy I like a lot ... has the smarts to overcome his lack of size, and at 6'0 he isn't really *that* small.

There are surely a ton of guys in the NCAA and Europe who deserve mention, but I don't know those leagues well enough this season to specify names. Pavel Brendl is a guy who continually intrigues me because of the way he's destroyed the SEL the past couple years, and because he's a RHS RW who can finish plays that linemates like the Sedins create ... his hands/shot are probably top-10 in the world.

________

For the original poster, Ellington and Gendur will surely be given contracts this summer and play for the Moose (or Salmon Kings) next season. Also Mario Bliznak was signed last summer, but doesn't turn pro until next season, so that along with Shannon brings us to 39 guys likely under contract as it stands.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Mattias Weinhandl. He's leading Team Sweden in scoring right now and he has played very well in the SEL.
It probably wouldn't hurt to check whether or not Nicklas Danielsson would like to come to camp given how close his numbers were to Brunnstrom's (Danielsson actually had more goals).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=610&lang=en

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 02:57 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Mattias Weinhandl. He's leading Team Sweden in scoring right now and he has played very well in the SEL.
It probably wouldn't hurt to check whether or not Nicklas Danielsson would like to come to camp given how close his numbers were to Brunnstrom's (Danielsson actually had more goals).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=610&lang=en
I...*think* we lost our rights to him last year.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

And with only a few notable prospects (White, Ellington, Gendur, Shirokov are all that come to mind), non of which are even close to NHL-ready, these players are probably still a year or two away from being contract worthy.
I think that Shirokov should be close to NHL ready now, and certainly is close enough to earn a 2-way contract. Also, given the new draft requirements, IIRC he has to be signed by the end of this coming year (June 2009 I believe). Also consider that he was an overager when he was drafted.

Gendur should definitely be signed at this point as well IMO... he was also an overager when he was drafted and played last season in junior as a 20 YO... definitely showed (at least from the scouting reports I read) that he's ready for the next step...

Ellington and White I agree are another year away from getting pro contracts.

I really hope though that Gillis finds a way to bring Shirokov across this season, otherwise he'll likely be lost as his rights are only with the team till the end of the coming season.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:04 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I think that Shirokov should be close to NHL ready now, and certainly is close enough to earn a 2-way contract. Also, given the new draft requirements, IIRC he has to be signed by the end of this coming year (June 2009 I believe). Also consider that he was an overager when he was drafted.

Gendur should definitely be signed at this point as well IMO... he was also an overager when he was drafted and played last season in junior as a 20 YO... definitely showed (at least from the scouting reports I read) that he's ready for the next step...

Ellington and White I agree are another year away from getting pro contracts.

I really hope though that Gillis finds a way to bring Shirokov across this season, otherwise he'll likely be lost as his rights are only with the team till the end of the coming season.
The Canucks, as far as I can recall, haven't had a Russian player on their roster since Chubarov left for Russia. This has been a trend league wide. In 2001/02 there were 58 Russian players in the NHL. In 2007/08 there were 27. But some teams seem to be doing better than others.

Gillis will look like a genius if he is able to get any returns on all those Russian draft picks who currently look like they will remain in Russia. Koltsov, Shirokov, Kablukov, Krikunov (have we lost rights to Gladhsik, Chubarov and Grot yet?). Not that any of these are going to be saviouirs of the franchise, but it would sure be nice to get ONE NHL player from all these draft picks. Topol is not worth pursuing AFAIC. Koltsov, short of a miracle is probably a write off at this point - which is too bad because he would immediately challenge Bieksa, Krajicek and Bourdon as a puck moving defenseman. Krikunov seems to be comforatable in Russia. Kablukov is described by Hockeysfuture as a Chubarov type 2-way forward, and Shirokov is a playmaker/scorer. In interviews prior to being drafted, both assured the Canucks that they were willing to come to North America even if it meant being assigned to the AHL. Maybe that was before they understood that the re-entry waiver system would restrict their earnings to under $100K in the AHL.

Gillis seems to have maintained pretty good relations with most of his former clients (Gino and the Courtnalls anyways). He should get Pavel Bure working for us in Russia as a liaison to these Russian prospects. Bure is highly influential in Russian hockey and might be able to influence some of these guys to give the NHL a shot. Up front signing bonuses should take some of the sting out of the AHL salary but maybe Bure can hook them up with a tennis star or something ....

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Vrbata would be the ideal singing, he'll be asking in the 2.5M-3M range and he could be a legitimate 30 goal scorer.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
I...*think* we lost our rights to him last year.
Probably, but they could still offer him some sort of contract. He would probably just end up going back to the SEL but there's a chance that after coming here he might reconsider and play a season in the AHL.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable View Post
Vrbata would be the ideal singing, he'll be asking in the 2.5M-3M range and he could be a legitimate 30 goal scorer.
Which would make sense to practically any team at the price, meaning there will be bidding and he'll probably get more like 4.0M-4.5M.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 05:24 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Which would make sense to practically any team at the price, meaning there will be bidding and he'll probably get more like 4.0M-4.5M.
IMO Vrbata will be one of those overpaid players coming off a career year this year.... my guess is that any team that signs him next season will be disappointing paying him that much for the player they get.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:54 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable View Post
NO more average european players.... stanley cup champions consist of mostly Canadians.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
NO more average european players.... stanley cup champions consist of mostly Canadians.
you would have thought this kind of thinking would be less likely with watching the playoffs this year... and especially so from a Naslund fanatic!

Detroit is rolling over Dallas... the Stars a team that has many more of those NA type players as well.

Detroit's top 6 scorers - and 9 of their top 10 - are all European... and they are cruising past the Stars so far (and basically have cruised past everyone so far!).

Pittsburgh doesn't have as many Euros, but certainly more than Philly does - a team that is basically stacked with NA players, and gritty NA players as well... while Pittsburgh has key roles from Malkin, Hossa, Sykora, and Gonchar on their team...

IMO it shouldn't matter what nationality a player is... what matters more is their skill-set and their mind-set... Lidstrom and Forsberg for example have been among the top playoff performers for their teams year after year... same is true for Sundin (when he's actually been in the playoffs). Hossa and Malkin have been dominating so far as well - certainly much more so than NA's like Richards or Carter - players normally described as gritty NA players!

Old
05-14-2008, 06:25 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Pittsburgh doesn't have as many Euros, but certainly more than Philly does - a team that is basically stacked with NA players, and gritty NA players as well... while Pittsburgh has key roles from Malkin, Hossa, Sykora, and Gonchar on their team...
And unless he's lumping in Americans with Canadians, they are also getting contributions from Ryan Malone, Ryan Whitney, Hal Gill, and Brooks Orpik, all of whom are American.

I hope Detroit wins the cup just so we can get this ridiculous Euros can't lead a team to the Cup crap out of the way.

Old
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
eldiablo17

I would like to see the Canucks try and pick up Ruutu. Fan favorite when he was here before, big hitter and agitator, and would help our brutal shoot-out record last year. But who knows if he wants to leave Pittsburgh

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
And you can't win the superbowl with a black quarterback. Oh, wait...

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
The Vengabus

I would go hard after Chubarov. He's blossomed into a real dynamic 2 way threat in Russia and is considered one of the better centres in that league. Of course his contract will be an issue as he surely can get paid more, but he might want to give the NHL another shot with some leverage and confidence. He probably still has ties to the city; I think he left because he felt he was misused by the management and coaching. They saw him as a plugger only.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorial View Post
I would go hard after Chubarov. He's blossomed into a real dynamic 2 way threat in Russia and is considered one of the better centres in that league. Of course his contract will be an issue as he surely can get paid more, but he might want to give the NHL another shot with some leverage and confidence. He probably still has ties to the city; I think he left because he felt he was misused by the management and coaching. They saw him as a plugger only.
Although I really like Chubarov, there is no indication that he could be the 2nd line center that we need and he probably wouldn't come over to be a 4 line center. If we didn't have Kesler I would be all for it, but I just don't think he has a spot here.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote