HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was the hardest shooter in Canadiens history?

Old
05-26-2008, 01:07 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Souray, Gingras, Richer imo. In that order. Those guys could fire. Can't compare the older guys cuz they didn't have the technology.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Who was the hardest shooting player in Canadiens history?

The only names that I can think of when it comes to this topic are Stephane Richer and Sheldon Souray.

I'm sure you guys can come up with more names and opinions for this question.
Souray should be #1

Guys like Gingras Richer Streit also had stong shots, I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I think Chad Kilger has a 105mph+ slapper.
in the shower maybe..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Lone Rogue

Souray likely had the hardest, but it's not due to his stick. The hardest shot records still belong to wooden sticks and players can stil get the same speed out of them. Composite sticks are mental more than physical.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Souray likely had the hardest, but it's not due to his stick. The hardest shot records still belong to wooden sticks and players can stil get the same speed out of them. Composite sticks are mental more than physical.
I actually agree with this; the composite stick helps mostly on the wind-up which will end up being faster but won't add that much weight to a slapshot because at that velocity, you'll still get quite a bit of whip effect from a woodie. The composite will add some power on the wrister though but that's not exactly on topic.

From what I remember seeing, I'd say Souray with Richer a close second (Richer also had a *great* wrister). I couldn't argue for or against older players since I have no memory of them.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Pascal

Pretty unfair to compare the shots from the 70s to the ones now.. Equipment and training improvements have made it incomparable. Same as saying who was the better goalie, Dryden or Brodeur..Different eras.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 04:32 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Wrong! Boom Boom helped master it, but wasn't near the first. Stan Mikita was probably the first to use a curved blade and introduce a real slap shot, the rest were wrist shots.

However.. Alex Shibicky is credited with first using a slapshot. He is attributed with using the first slapshot in a game in 1937.

Heck, you can ask McPhee he was probably there.
Andy Bathgate would beg to disagree with you on the curved blade usage bit and slapshot.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Joe Cole

I think it is important to differentiate between shooting in a competition and shooting during game action.

In a warm up or competition, the shooter has all kinds of time to set up, wind up, release, and look at his shot.

In a game, you look, wind, fire and try not to get your head crushed by the oncoming checker.

Souray sure had a bomb, and he got it off pretty quickly. In his early Hab days, he could not hit the side of a house, in his last Habs year.... it was incredible how he could find a pin hole from 30 feet away.

I think, in the heat of action... besides Sourary, the only ones I can say I truely remember are Malahov and Gingras.

As for forwards... Ryder, A Kost and Dagenais were (are) pretty impressive to, but they usually do not do the full wind up.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 05:54 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Can you imagine if Composite sticks were around when Gingras played? That is one scary thought.
True, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of the net.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote