HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Chelios

Old
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Tricolore#20

vCash: 500
Chris Chelios

The absolute freak of nature Chris Chelios continues to be an important figure in the Red Wings run to the Cup. He is 46 years old, and while he does have some momentary blips, he still is a quality defenseman. I'm not saying that the Habs should pursue him, because given his age and priorities, it is unlikely. However, in Hugh Adami's piece today in the Ottawa Citizen, there were some interesting quotes:

Quote:
However, only weeks ago, he hinted to ESPN Magazine that playing in Detroit isn't a certainty, as his playing time has been cut significantly this season.

His Pittsburgh-based agent, Tom Reich, said Chelios might look elsewhere after one more season in Detroit, though the team would have to be a contender.
There is also an interesting quip from Chelios's father, about him being traded from the Habs in 1990

Quote:
If Chelios was in shock when the trade was announced, his father was broken-hearted. The elder Chelios said of the three clubs his son has played for in his NHL career, "Montreal was tops on everything -- no comparison."
Considering that Chelios played for successful teams in 3 original six markets, having those words from his dad about Montreal is incredible. I started watching hockey during Chelios's final season with the Habs, so I don't remember much. However, I know what kind of presence he had on the Hawks in the early 90s, and how crazy Chicago Stadium was. Comparing the Canadiens to those Hawks teams, or even these Red Wings teams (that everybody in the media loves to praise) says a lot.

If you guys want to read the rest of the article, find it here:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9239f1929a&p=1

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Iwishihadacup

Chelios to MTL (e3)

(this way, we won'T have him for sure)

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Chelios to MTL (e3)

(this way, we won'T have him for sure)
lmao

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Carey Chant

Don't talk about Chelios man. I know a few of his cousins and when he was traded from the Habs I was probably the most upset I've been with the team (Roy being traded is up there as well).

If I ran the Habs this guy would have been a Hab for life and wore the C all these years. One of the best Dmen of alltime and we traded him for Dennis Savard!??!?!?! Ah man if we could only go back in time and tell the team doctors his knee would hold up for another 20 years.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post
Don't talk about Chelios man. I know a few of his cousins and when he was traded from the Habs I was probably the most upset I've been with the team (Roy being traded is up there as well).

If I ran the Habs this guy would have been a Hab for life and wore the C all these years. One of the best Dmen of alltime and we traded him for Dennis Savard!??!?!?! Ah man if we could only go back in time and tell the team doctors his knee would hold up for another 20 years.
you understand why he was traded though, right?

he's not the shinniest coin in the well too...the history is there man...

but im with you, if he hadnt been such a tool, he would still be a hab and he'd still be awesome.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
you understand why he was traded though, right?

he's not the shinniest coin in the well too...the history is there man...

but im with you, if he hadnt been such a tool, he would still be a hab and he'd still be awesome.
Serge Savard apparantly has been quoted as saying that one of the major reasons he was traded was because team doctors felt his knees would be shot within 5 years. Everybody knows the rumours regarding the 'real' reason Chelios was dealt, but bad knees is Savard's side of the story. 20 years later, and Chelios is still going.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 05-22-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
His Pittsburgh-based agent, Tom Reich, said Chelios might look elsewhere after one more season in Detroit, though the team would have to be a contender.
Wait a minute, he still expects to play another 2 years??

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Pascal

Chelios could easily play another 1-2 yrs. I hope it's here.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post

Amen. Great post.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Serge Savard apparantly has been quoted as saying that one of the major reasons he was traded was because team doctors felt his knees would be shot within 5 years. Everybody knows the rumours regarding the 'real' reason Chelios was dealt, but bad knees is Savard's side of the story. 20 years later, and Chelios is still going.
Savard was a good man to take the hit on that one. I think that the 'real' reason may have been a collection of 'real' reasons. The one that gets commonly referred to, well, I don't know, but there were so many things, so many incidents that saying 'knees' and sticking to it was very kind of Savard.

Strictly hockey, it was foolish. Sometimes a player has to be moved to take stock of where he's headed in the big picture.

I think you can easily name players on the Expos/Als/CH that were sent away to become someone else's problem. If it comes back to bite you, you have to smile and take it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Licou

We could get Chris so that the Montreal Canadien's AND Chelios' 100th birthday would be celebrated at the same time!

I kid, I kid, he would be awesome here!

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Savard was a good man to take the hit on that one. I think that the 'real' reason may have been a collection of 'real' reasons. The one that gets commonly referred to, well, I don't know, but there were so many things, so many incidents that saying 'knees' and sticking to it was very kind of Savard.

Strictly hockey, it was foolish. Sometimes a player has to be moved to take stock of where he's headed in the big picture.

I think you can easily name players on the Expos/Als/CH that were sent away to become someone else's problem. If it comes back to bite you, you have to smile and take it.
I know of a Ribeiro trade that pretty much fits in that category! If only more people could remember the big picture around that one trade too!

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Chelios could easily play another 1-2 yrs. I hope it's here.
He's said he wants to play until he's 50. That would be another four years. Who knows if it'll happen, but I agree that barring serious injury he looks like he could play at least another 1 or 2 with no problem.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
The knee story is the excuse.

There was this incident with Chelios and Corson...
Both left the team. Both we totally Habs players but politics...

Savard will use the Knee excuse till his death otherwise he will have to admit why he did it. The problem is those two guys were so quiet and trouble free after this incident...

They learned but Savard did not forgive. Also medias had a role in this...
I think that if there had been just one incident, it wouldn't have been that big a deal but it seemed to be a recurring story. More often than not, the tolerance of a player's antics depends on how well he played. Theo was the perfect example.

Unless the antics in question just became too much.

Old
05-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Habbadasher

Chelios has said repeatedly that the language issue drives him crazy, although today he is politically correct and says nothing but nice things about the CH.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Beakermania*

Its different when the rumors around the incident..... Rumors which were well publicized at the time.... involve the player and the president of the team's wife.

Savard may have had some pressure on him to trade Chelios which was coming down from above him....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Its different when the rumors around the incident..... Rumors which were well publicized at the time.... involve the player and the president of the team's wife.

Savard may have had some pressure on him to trade Chelios which was coming down from above him....
I think Pam was referring to yet another incident, but honestly there were so many that it's hard to know. If the Corey one was even close to being true, well, c'mon, how could they have kept him ? I've heard that one from multiple sources that aren't really gossipy types but I'm not sure what I believe.

Old
05-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think Pam was referring to yet another incident, but honestly there were so many that it's hard to know. If the Corey one was even close to being true, well, c'mon, how could they have kept him ? I've heard that one from multiple sources that aren't really gossipy types but I'm not sure what I believe.
Chelios was clearly immature in those days and the trade may have been part of the maturation process for him. We saw what type of an impact moving had on guys like Ribs, Hainsey, etc who also had some of these issues in their days in Montreal.

Would he ever have become less of a distraction had he remained part of the team.... How would his attitude have effected the all the young D like Schneider, Desjardin, Brisebois, Lefebvre, etc that were coming up at the time and grew to become a big part of that 93 team....

We never know what would have happened if the trade didn't go down. Maybe if we kept him we only have 23 Cups instead.... maybe with him we have 26.... who knows?? The answer is out there in some alternate universe i think.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Chelios was clearly immature in those days and the trade may have been part of the maturation process for him. We saw what type of an impact moving had on guys like Ribs, Hainsey, etc who also had some of these issues in their days in Montreal.

Would he ever have become less of a distraction had he remained part of the team.... How would his attitude have effected the all the young D like Schneider, Desjardin, Brisebois, Lefebvre, etc that were coming up at the time and grew to become a big part of that 93 team....

We never know what would have happened if the trade didn't go down. Maybe if we kept him we only have 23 Cups instead.... maybe with him we have 26.... who knows?? The answer is out there in some alternate universe i think.
Sports hypocrisy 101 tells us that the ammount of 'behavior' that teams tolerate with players is on a direct ratio with how well they perform. Be a wild child, but you'd better be good.

Old
05-23-2008, 02:07 PM
V-2 Schneider

I knew that the Habs were after Hawerchuck and Chelly was the bait, but I also know why he was dealt, and got it from his agent at the time.What suprised me then was why he couldn't have been swapped for either Bourque or MacInnis.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
V-2 Schneider

There's a funny story about chelly's first game back at the Forum, and he's getting a razzing from a well known member of the Molson board as Chelly had an ongoing dispute with the new owner of his Westmount home over unreported water damage.So as Chelly is taking his seat in the sin bin, he starts hearing the cat calls about this house and what he's going to do to fix it.Needless to say, he's flummoxed by the sheer novelty of this bit of fan abuse,so he stands up and squirts his water bottle all over the well dressed patrons behind the box.It was like old time hockey in the Boston Garden again. A fight broke out and HNIC had to cut away for a commercial break.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Belso

Chelios coming to montreal would be good to teach the new kids what it takes to stay in shape and also to show them all the tricks he's learnt over his career..

But you can't depend on him to score that goal or make that cross ice pass anymore..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Chelios coming to montreal would be good to teach the new kids what it takes to stay in shape and also to show them all the tricks he's learnt over his career..

But you can't depend on him to score that goal or make that cross ice pass anymore..
If he could do those things at 46 he'd be legendary. I wonder how long Lidstrom can do these things...I'd love to see Nik around that long

As for Chelly, you think Hammer can teach O'Byrne a few things? Well Chelly could teach Hammer a thing or two... imagine an even wiser Roman Hamrlik?

Man I love Hamrlik

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
I knew that the Habs were after Hawerchuck and Chelly was the bait, but I also know why he was dealt, and got it from his agent at the time.What suprised me then was why he couldn't have been swapped for either Bourque or MacInnis.
At the time of the trade S. Savard felt D.Savard would provide the Habs with a true #1 center since B.Smith was basically gone. D.Savard had 80pts in 60 games or so the previous season and was a consistent 100+pt player and we all thought he and Richer (coming off a 50 goal season) would be dynamite. The Habs also thought Schneider was ready to take over for Chelios as the man on defense since he was strong in the previous year's playoffs. Chelios was also coming off maybe the worst season of his career from both a production and injury aspect so his value wasn't as high as it should have been. I don't see the Habs being able to get a Mac or Bourque type of talent for him since their was serious health concerns regarding Chelios at the time.

Things didn't work out to well in hindsight, but you can see why they did what they did at the time. To this day, S.Savard says most Hab fans who talked to him that summer of the trade loved it. Hell, I thought he made a good trade at the time.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
chitownhabsfan

One thing for sure, Denis Savard isn't complaining about that trade, only time he was on a team that won La Coupe Stanley.

-------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
The absolute freak of nature Chris Chelios continues to be an important figure in the Red Wings run to the Cup. He is 46 years old, and while he does have some momentary blips, he still is a quality defenseman. I'm not saying that the Habs should pursue him, because given his age and priorities, it is unlikely. However, in Hugh Adami's piece today in the Ottawa Citizen, there were some interesting quotes:
If you are calling him an absolute freak of nature because of his physical conditioning, IMO, you are incorrect.

At the end of the season, Cheli goes to his home in CA and works very hard [busts his butt] on his physical conditioning throughout the summer. It ain't no accident that he is in such great physical condition that he is.

Such dedication in most cases, deserves a reward and his love of playing 'The Game', like Gordie's, is to continue to play at the highest level that he can.

Unlike many that get the opportunity, he is making the most of it and IMO it is admirable.

Last edited by chitownhabsfan: 05-26-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote