HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Jagr offered $12,000,000 by Dynamo Moscow

Old
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
JacketsIslesFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
James Mirtle reported this rumor...all I can say is...who??

I dont buy it.
James Mirtle has the most popular blog on the internet and was a hockey journalist first, before a blogger. I'd say he's as credible as it gets.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Maybe Dynamo will save Glen Sather from himself.

05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If less Euros come over, so be it. There's plenty of talent in North America. Also, only fringe Canadians and Americans would go over to Europe. Every American and Canadian hockey player dreams of one thing when they are a kid, and that's winning the Stanley Cup. If they are that good, they'll be making millions anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Funny thing is, eventually real economics have to come into play, and the Russian oligarchs and gas impresarios will eventually face reality. What then? Also, rumor has it that Yashin, among others, weren't all that happy playing in Russian back-waters, no matter what the money, and are seeking to return to the NHL.

Yes, there probably will be a period where high-level NHL talent will be courted by the KHL, but how many players really want to spend their winter in Siberia? Or the heart of the Ural mountains? Part of the allure of the NHL is the lifestyle of either major US cities and/or warm weather/resort locations. Many of these players have just enough ego that playing in the media spotlight, no matter how small, of North America is worth at least one contract.

If the KHL gives these types of contracts on a regular basis, they will be bankrupt in a few years. Every bubble bursts at some point.
Bingo. Not to mention the history and tradition of NHL and the ultimate prize - the Stanley Cup (which is the oldest sports trophey). The only way you'll see North American stars in RSL/KHL is if NHL would be locked out again. Just like when Ak Bars of Kazan' signed Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavalier in 04-05.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If less Euros come over, so be it. There's plenty of talent in North America. Also, only fringe Canadians and Americans would go over to Europe. Every American and Canadian hockey player dreams of one thing when they are a kid, and that's winning the Stanley Cup. If they are that good, they'll be making millions anyway.
I beg to differ.......money talks and last time I checked they were pros!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
DarthSather99

I remember not too long ago the USSR was "offering" NHL + type salaries to many of their Russian players. For the players that signed they quickly found out they were not going to be "paid" those amounts.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
squishy

Quote:
If less Euros come over, so be it. There's plenty of talent in North America. Also, only fringe Canadians and Americans would go over to Europe.
This attitude is extremely short-sighted. Remember, if less Euros come over, it means more of those fringe Canadians and Americans in the NHL. More Ryan Hollwegs and Chris Simons. Yippee! Would you rather watch players with the skills of Malkin and Ovechkin, or more Jason Krogs? London Ranger's dead on when he says the KHL and potential talent drain is an issue that's not going to go away. And the Russian economy (and many of the KHL teams) are built on oil and natural gas money. Is there be a more valuable commodity than energy right now? I wouldn't expect the bottom of the Russian economy, or the new league, to drop out any time soon. They're not stupid. They set a reasonable salary cap for their teams. They've set out a reasonable and achievable plan to build the league slowly.

Which leads us to this "rumor among players" that Jagr has been offered $12m by Dynamo... sounds like wishful thinking on the part of players, and good work on the part of an agent or agents to generate a buzz about the KHL. The KHL has set their rules and salary cap in place for next season, and teams are already signing players in accordance with them. They're not going to change them mid-stream. Moreover, Jagr's desire to return to Russia had nothing to do with money, but with his desire to return to a fanbase and organization that treated him really well in Omsk. I don't see him splitting the comfort of NY and the NHL for an unknown organization and fanbase in Moscow.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStepanMe

Quote:
not enough to cover 30 teams and have good hockey too watch. We need the Euro players badly. If less Euro's came you will see more defensive styles of hockey, and more watered down hockey. This is not being biased either, its just logic.

Less Euro's in NHL means= smaller talent pool to choose from and more spots to open up in the NHL. This leads to players who should be playing in the AHL getting time in the NHL. This means watered down hockey, and coaches sticking to defense to cover different players deficiencies. It's easier to learn how to play defense, than it is to become good at offense.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Bingo. Not to mention the history and tradition of NHL and the ultimate prize - the Stanley Cup (which is the oldest sports trophey). The only way you'll see North American stars in RSL/KHL is if NHL would be locked out again. Just like when Ak Bars of Kazan' signed Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavalier in 04-05.
Blazing Saddles: What’s a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic settling like this?

of course Yashin would rather come back and live/work in Manhattan than Yaroslavl. As I said most of these towns are drab, remote, polluted industrial towns - I certainly wouldn't want to live there. But they will be paying more money time goes on. and these place have been certainly improved and will continue to improve as
more capital will be flowing in. The Frontier....the North Americans of all people should
understand that concept.

at a price anyone would be ready to give it a try.

History and traditions were built over many years and I am not belittling it. On the contrary I love it. But the reality of the matter is that NHL is setting rule how to regulate escalating paychecks. At the same time Russian hockey is reaching unprecedented highs and will only continue to blossom and it is just a matter of time
before it will become pallatable for the likes of Vinny Lecavalier to give it a go for
twice the pay he can make in the NHL. These guys have families to look after.

Lets not forget that good portion of the NHL teams has WHA roots. WHA was built on promisse of financial rewards....regardless of short lived rewards.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
This attitude is extremely short-sighted. Remember, if less Euros come over, it means more of those fringe Canadians and Americans in the NHL. More Ryan Hollwegs and Chris Simons. Yippee! Would you rather watch players with the skills of Malkin and Ovechkin, or more Jason Krogs? London Ranger's dead on when he says the KHL and potential talent drain is an issue that's not going to go away. And the Russian economy (and many of the KHL teams) are built on oil and natural gas money. Is there be a more valuable commodity than energy right now? I wouldn't expect the bottom of the Russian economy, or the new league, to drop out any time soon. They're not stupid. They set a reasonable salary cap for their teams. They've set out a reasonable and achievable plan to build the league slowly.

Which leads us to this "rumor among players" that Jagr has been offered $12m by Dynamo... sounds like wishful thinking on the part of players, and good work on the part of an agent or agents to generate a buzz about the KHL. The KHL has set their rules and salary cap in place for next season, and teams are already signing players in accordance with them. They're not going to change them mid-stream. Moreover, Jagr's desire to return to Russia had nothing to do with money, but with his desire to return to a fanbase and organization that treated him really well in Omsk. I don't see him splitting the comfort of NY and the NHL for an unknown organization and fanbase in Moscow.

damn you, you beat me too it.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Jagr is in a enviable position to chose between three places he likes play in.
He WILL play in NY if he is offered close to same money he was making. on this I am 100 pct. He will want a 2 year deal.

then he will go to Russia for 1 season and clean up. Then at 40 he will finish his last year of hockey at Kladno...playing for free!

Old
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Blazing Saddles: What’s a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic settling like this?

of course Yashin would rather come back and live/work in Manhattan than Yaroslavl. As I said most of these towns are drab, remote, polluted industrial towns - I certainly wouldn't want to live there. But they will be paying more money time goes on. and these place have been certainly improved and will continue to improve as more capital will be flowing in. The Frontier....the North Americans of all people should understand that concept.

at a price anyone would be ready to give it a try.

History and traditions were built over many years and I am not belittling it. On the contrary I love it. But the reality of the matter is that NHL is setting rule how to regulate escalating paychecks. At the same time Russian hockey is reaching unprecedented highs and will only continue to blossom and it is just a matter of time
before it will become pallatable for the likes of Vinny Lecavalier to give it a go for twice the pay he can make in the NHL. These guys have families to look after.

Lets not forget that good portion of the NHL teams has WHA roots. WHA was built on promisse of financial rewards....regardless of short lived rewards.
I think the romantic notion of blazing new frontiers is not one that many young, budding hockey stars are all that interested in, but perhaps I'm wrong.

In the NYTimes article about Yashin in Russia, it talked about this beautiful arena in a town of tenement housing, and how dreary the lifestyle is there. While this may not be true of every team owner, there has so far been little investment in the communities of these teams outside of the arenas and salaries paid to the players.

Also, I think the real allure will be for Euro players to play their game on their rinks, I really don't see Vinny going to play for Avangard for a few seasons. Maybe one as he enters retirement, but that's about it.

Again, the economics of these salaries just doesn't seem viable. At SOME POINT (my guess is sooner), the gas/oil bubble will burst, either through a drop in demand or supply, and the KHL will implode. There is simply no way that the Russian hockey public can support those salaries on ticket, merchandise, and concession sales alone.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
TheHotRock

you guys are missing the point that these billionaire owners can afford to lose ~30mil a seasons and not give a ****. this is a hobby for them

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Boy do we North Americans have blind pride.

I hate to break this news, but there are other places in the world besides The United States and Canada.

The Euro dollar is KILLING the US dollar.

While countries in Europe are making huge strides forward, the US is taking strides backward.

And remember this, they have done it very quickly, a lot of counties there were decimated by two world wars.

Why is it so hard to believe that a league can compete with the NHL?

The simple fact that some of the more well known teams in the SEL have shown interest, teams in Australia, and more have shown interest, and the fact that they have a tournament that pits the best teams from all of Europe is another positive thing.

I love the idea, personally, and i hope it flourishes.

IMO a world-wide Elite league would be the best possible thing. That included teams from North America as well.

The only obstacle that needs to be beaten is pride. Which is the problem in all of the worlds serious issues. Too many people thinking they are better then everyone else. We are all on this planet together, we are all the same. We need to act like it and have a better brotherhood.

If the NHL REALLY wanted what is best for the SPORT, they would back the KHL.

Could you imagine a world league that competes for the Stanley Cup.

The Memorial Cup is handed to one of 60 teams in Canadian Juniors.

Why not a world league with about that many teams?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
you guys are missing the point that these billionaire owners can afford to lose ~30mil a seasons and not give a ****. this is a hobby for them
However, a lot of those billions are on paper, and WHEN this bubble bursts, they'll no longer be able to afford this hobby. We've seen it happen before, not even Putin can protect the oligarchs from the realities of the marketplace.

Old
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not to mention...

Some insult the ability of a European team to be able to make it financially.

How quickly we forget how many NHL franchises couldn't cut it.

4 years ago the Penguins were on the verge of folding.

4 years ago the Ottawa Senators couldn't afford to pay their players and delayed their paychecks for months.

In the all-mighty North American region teams fold or relocate all the time.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Jackson Ranger

First off, competition is good. Hopefully, the KHL does create opportunities for players and this will get the NHL to react in a positive way.

Second, this reminds me of the WHA days. I think the reasons why that league failed were because of lack of financial support (which the KHL has at the moment) as well as the lack of use of NHL type arenas. I think a lot of the WHA teams were playing in 12000 seat arenas compared to 16,17 or 18000 seat arenas. Of course, if you're not worried about the decrease in gate revenues, then it's not a problem.

From my POV, I think it all boils down to how many North American players would like to play in Russia versus how many European kids would like to play in the North America. I think the odds are greater for European kids like Finns and Swedes to come over to live in places like Miami, Dallas, LA versus Omsk or Ufa.

And I wouldn't say it's all a higher standard of living, I think it's also language issues. Most of the Swedish and Finnish players coming over already speak a little if not fluent English. How do you think they'll get around these Russian cities speaking Swedish?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
deanosaur

I dunno.. I'm thinkin Jags wants one more shot at the cup, I believe he'll stay. He's not playing for money as much as he used to be.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
This is a very serious topic - dear Hockey fans.
I wrote about this couple years ago and it was fobbed off as non sense.

There is a cataclysmic shift of forces going on. The Russians with whom I am dealing with are not only very proud and patriotic but they are also filthy rich. The price of crude oil, natural gas, gold etc has risen and will keep on rising. in their national pride they want to be 2nd to noone.

Hockey in towns such as Omsk, Ufa, Salavat, Kazan is pretty much the only entertainment there is amongst drab polluted every day life. the middle class is slowly getting on their feet. The oligarchs use the hockey clubs as another measuring stick of their ego and Mojo. After having bought 3 super yachts, 5 planes, 2 football clubs - hockey is next. First of all they want to one up their oligarch buddies like they do in the horse racing in the Middle East or UK. then they want to one up the North americans because they don't want to be treated as provicial morons. so fully expect them to start buying up north american franchises...hockey,
baseball just to prove they can....

In Ufa you can't play football or race horses nor play soccer in winter time, but you will find thousand of keen working class people to fervently support their local hockey team.

So I say again...just as the NHL has started to self impose salary caps to allow a socialist profit sharing the russians will shower Dollars on the unsuspecting free agents to lure them away with unequalled capitalist fervor. I am not surprised 12 myn were allegedly offered to Jagr the news strategically leaked into the market during Jagr's negotiations with the Rangers.

I still believe Jagr will continue to play for the Rangers. He has more money than he could spend in 5 life times in his homeland where he will be a national hero regardless.
Money is no longer his main objective. He wants to be evaluated fairly but he wants to be a legend most of all.

But other players will take the bait, and they will no longer be your fringe players such as Yashin, Yushkevitch, Morozov. there will be many Canadians, american going over there soon. The Czechs, Slovaks, Fins and Swedes are already there. Now the
Russian clubs will up the ante and go for the Stars.

The race for the talent pool is on. Underestimate it at your own peril.
Russia is really extreme right now though and while there are a lot of exceptionally rich people, there are also a lot of exceptionally poor people. Leagues have sunk before by trying to bring in over priced talent, as if there are no fans in the seats/buying merchandise it's just throwing money away. What does the average hockey ticket cost right now in Russia? What would it have to cost so a league with 12 million dollar players can exist?

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I dunno.. I'm thinkin Jags wants one more shot at the cup, I believe he'll stay. He's not playing for money as much as he used to be.
I guess that remains to be seen.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Not to mention...

Some insult the ability of a European team to be able to make it financially.

How quickly we forget how many NHL franchises couldn't cut it.

4 years ago the Penguins were on the verge of folding.

4 years ago the Ottawa Senators couldn't afford to pay their players and delayed their paychecks for months.

In the all-mighty North American region teams fold or relocate all the time.
I think leagues like the SEL, the Bundesliga, and the Swiss leagues have finances that make sense, and will always thrive due to the passions of their local fanbases.

To me, the folly isn't the KHL itself, or that it could be a viable league (which I would welcome), it's the insane money that is being thrown at marginal NHL talent. And, the above examples help prove my point that in economically difficult times, many teams can't afford to pay their players and staff. What happens when Avangard can no longer pay a player $8MM a year in the middle of their contract?

Old
hgo

Before you all panic, there were rumors earlier this month that Dynamo Moscow was offering Wade Dubielewicz about 2 million dollars, and those rumors were proven false.

I'll believe this when I see this on a non-blog.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It could be subsidized by the league as well. The RSL wants to position itself as an NHL alternative, but it's hard to do on the backs of players who have simply been forced out of the league. Actually prying on of the NHL's top talents away would be a major coup and raise their profile significantly in the hockey world.
Guys, $12 million doesn't make any sense. I think everyone knows, including those smart people over in Russia, that Jagr will never get more than $6 million from an NHL team. Why would they offer him $6 million more? $12 million is just crazy talk. Do they think $6 million MORE will get him to go home where he wants to be in a year anyway? Not a shot in hell the offer is near $12 million, I find it just absurd that this is believable. They don't need to spend this type of money to prove a point.

I'll streak around the Garden next fall if this is true

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Mason530

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Take the money and go Jags. If Slats tries to match this he's a dummy.. he's barely worth half that.
Doesn't CBA have rule governing a % on how much of a player can take up within the team? Say 20% and cap for next season is $56m, that means Jagr can't have cap number more than $11.2.........so it doesn't matter if Slat wants to offer $50m.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I guess that remains to be seen.
10 years ago Jags would of taken the money, today I don't think he would.
He's at a point where he's on a team that can go the cup if they commit to it.
Wouldn't you want one more shot at the cup? I know I would.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote