HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Devils Re-Sign Mike Mottau and Sheldon Brookbank

Old
05-22-2008, 10:59 AM
SOKOL

vCash: 500
Devils Re-Sign Mike Mottau and Sheldon Brookbank

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222008...ers_111940.htm

Sources say Mottau will earn $750,000 and $775,000 in his deal, up from the 475G the 30-year-old made last season, his first full year in the NHL. Brookbank is believed to have signed for $500,000 and $550,000.

SOKOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:22 PM
JR#9*

Looks like Lou is going to have yet another patchwork summer of signing spare parts at best.

MM should be a 7th dman at best and Brookbank is a AHLer.

For the life of me I can't figure out how Lou Lams pulled down the #2 spot amoung GM's because truth be told he is absolutely amoung the worst GM's in the NHL from not being able to reup Nieds thus panicing and throwing ridiculous 2 yrs deal at a one-legged ALMO and a no heart Malakhov in the 1st yr to giving Elias a 42 million dollar deal with a NTC that coupled with the weight of the captaincy resulted in consecutive dissapointing yrs that brought about the stripping of the C.

Then factor in the 6 yrs deals to Langer-White followed by Zubrus at proces higher than they are due.

He followed that up with allowing Gomez and Rafalski to walk with no plan to replace them except with "C" level UFA's that gave them what they paid for.

Lou has his work cut out for him in a big way and these signings jusy show it will be more of the status quo offseason stuff from Lou.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Looks like Lou is going to have yet another patchwork summer of signing spare parts at best.

MM should be a 7th dman at best and Brookbank is a AHLer.

For the life of me I can't figure out how Lou Lams pulled down the #2 spot amoung GM's because truth be told he is absolutely amoung the worst GM's in the NHL from not being able to reup Nieds thus panicing and throwing ridiculous 2 yrs deal at a one-legged ALMO and a no heart Malakhov in the 1st yr to giving Elias a 42 million dollar deal with a NTC that coupled with the weight of the captaincy resulted in consecutive dissapointing yrs that brought about the stripping of the C.

Then factor in the 6 yrs deals to Langer-White followed by Zubrus at proces higher than they are due.

He followed that up with allowing Gomez and Rafalski to walk with no plan to replace them except with "C" level UFA's that gave them what they paid for.

Lou has his work cut out for him in a big way and these signings jusy show it will be more of the status quo offseason stuff from Lou.
Lou has been a great GM in the past, but truth be told he's been getting the Joe Torre treatment where he has looked better than he really is because of the success of certain players. I really can't wait to see how he manages to Devils once Brodeur is gone. He can get away with picking up scraps because Brodeur guarantees them a playoff spot every year. The Devils defense is filled up with leftovers aside from Martin who is a 2nd pairing defenseman, albeit a very good one. As a Ranger fan watching our team manhandle the Devils in the offensive zone one would think Lou would want a complete overhaul. Not the case, however. Neither of those 2 belong in the NHL aside from spot starts, aka Strudwick.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
When was the last time a Lou team has missed the playoffs....Until he misses the playoffs sitdown and shutup.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Borlag

They've also signed Finnish defenseman Anssi Salmela according to a tabloid here: http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...91050_jk.shtml

Two way deal, no figures mentioned.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
New Jersey also signed Anssi Salmela from the SM Liga.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
When was the last time a Lou team has missed the playoffs....Until he misses the playoffs sitdown and shutup.
yeah, that certainly the goal...to just make the playoffs.

this is a huge offseason for Lou Lams as he has certainly struggled post lockout and his team has glaring holes and how he goes about filling those holes will go a long way in showing whether he gets back on track or maybe that he has lost some of his touch.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:

this is a huge offseason for Lou Lams as he has certainly struggled post lockout and his team has glaring holes and how he goes about filling those holes will go a long way in showing whether he gets back on track or maybe that he has lost some of his touch.
Post lockout after Stevens retired, Niedermayer dragged his situation on and left, Rafalski and Goimez left for more money Lou has made the second round twice and made the playoffs all three years.

The Rangers on the other hand, signed everyone to huge contracts and have yet to do anything more then the Devils. In fact I think Glen Sather should be on the hot seat, with all that money they still haven`t done **** all. The Rangers are worse off then New Jersey, we have loads of cap room and a fairly young core. Once again, talk to me when New Jersey misses the playoffs with these large holes.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Post lockout after Stevens retired, Niedermayer dragged his situation on and left, Rafalski and Goimez left for more money Lou has made the second round twice and made the playoffs all three years.

The Rangers on the other hand, signed everyone to huge contracts and have yet to do anything more then the Devils. In fact I think Glen Sather should be on the hot seat, with all that money they still haven`t done **** all. The Rangers are worse off then New Jersey, we have loads of cap room and a fairly young core. Once again, talk to me when New Jersey misses the playoffs with these large holes.
having loads of cap rooms means jack $%^& when you can't get anybody but spare parts to sign!!!!

and a young core...you have Parise and Xajac to a much lesser extent.

Followed by a pathetic prospect pool!

So yeah, I'd certainly rather be in that situation as opposed to the NYR's!

Old
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

Lou didn't make the 2nd round twice and make the playoffs all 3 years, Brodeur did. And to Devs, wherever you are, this is the point Coldshot, Jon and I were making in the chat. Every time it turns into a flame war. When did this become a Rangers vs. Devils battle? What has Lou done to make the Devils better post lockout? Sign Zubrus? Sign Weekes? Can you outline for me the moves Lou has made POST LOCKOUT that have greatly influenced this team?

Old
05-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
having loads of cap rooms means jack $%^& when you can't get anybody but spare parts to sign!!!!

and a young core...you have Parise and Xajac to a much lesser extent.

Followed by a pathetic prospect pool!

So yeah, I'd certainly rather be in that situation as opposed to the NYR's!
Only at HF does a player have to be 23 or under to be considered young. The Devils core will be intact for the next 4 years, Madden and Brodeur may age a little bit but the younger players will only get better.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Lou didn't make the 2nd round twice and make the playoffs all 3 years, Brodeur did. And to Devs, wherever you are, this is the point Coldshot, Jon and I were making in the chat. Every time it turns into a flame war. When did this become a Rangers vs. Devils battle? What has Lou done to make the Devils better post lockout? Sign Zubrus? Sign Weekes? Can you outline for me the moves Lou has made POST LOCKOUT that have greatly influenced this team?
Lou isn`t going to overpay for a player who will only help marginally. The Rangers overpyaed for Gomez and Drury only to get knocked out in the second round. Atleast Lou has saved money for when his team is peaking for a run.

Lou drafted Brodeur and kept him in New Jersey with the proper coaches and system to succeed so yes Lou did his job.

It became a flame war when Rangers fans feel the need to troll over minor moves New Jersey made BEFORE JUNE.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Lou isn`t going to overpay for a player who will only help marginally. The Rangers overpyaed for Gomez and Drury only to get knocked out in the second round. Atleast Lou has saved money for when his team is peaking for a run.

Lou drafted Brodeur and kept him in New Jersey with the proper coaches and system to succeed so yes Lou did his job.
In other words, he didn't do anything. Brodeur did everything. Thank you for proving my point. Based on that logic Al Sharpton could be the Devils GM and as long as he promised to not give unfair raises to Kevin Weekes and Johnny Oduya he could do just as good of a job. The proper coaches? He's basically changed his coach every year.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Only at HF does a player have to be 23 or under to be considered young. The Devils core will be intact for the next 4 years, Madden and Brodeur may age a little bit but the younger players will only get better.
you're a prospects guy Jason.

Please tell me how you can possibly argue that the Devils have one of the absolute most pathetic prospect pool in the entire NHL--Certainly bottom 3.

and you said you had such a young core but then go on to mention both a 36 yr old Marty and what, 34 yr old Madden?

Old
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
In other words, he didn't do anything. Brodeur did everything. Thank you for proving my point. Based on that logic Al Sharpton could be the Devils GM and as long as he promised to not give unfair raises to Kevin Weekes and Johnny Oduya he could do just as good of a job. The proper coaches? He's basically changed his coach every year.
Lemaire stepped down so he hired Ftorek, he changed to Robsinon and won a Stanley Cup. Robinson lost control of the team and he went to Constontine to finish the season. He did ok, made the playoffs and was upset in the first round. He got his coach in Burns went on to win the Stanley Cup in 2003 and then got cancer, Robinson filled in for Burns and also got sick, Lou finished the season as head coach. Julien then took over for New Jersey and lost control of the team and was fired and now we have Sutter.

The only time a coaching change was made was after his team lost control of the team and the system Lou has put in place. Constontine was only a fill in.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
you're a prospects guy Jason.

Please tell me how you can possibly argue that the Devils have one of the absolute most pathetic prospect pool in the entire NHL--Certainly bottom 3.

and you said you had such a young core but then go on to mention both a 36 yr old Marty and what, 34 yr old Madden?
Yes we are weak but we have enough at most positions to fill the future holes that will have. Out of our prospects we have a few who I really feel have the work ethic and skill to make the NHL.

Petr Vrana (next year) 2nd/3rd liner
Matt Halischuk (09-10) 2nd/3rd liner
Nicklas Bergfors (next year) 1st/2nd/3rd liner
Mike Hoeffel (10-11) 3rd line shutdown
Brad Snetsinger (10-11) 3rd/4th line PK
Nick Palmieri (10-11) 2nd liner to 4th liner

Matt Corrente (maybe next year) 2nd pair defensmen
Mark Fraser (09-10) 3rd pair defensmen
Mark Fayne (11-12) 2nd pair defensmen

Nothing in nets.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

So much outrage over the signings of last pair defensemen

I really don't see any problem with the signings. Of course this is not Lou's solution to our defense but a dept move. Let's just wait for free agency season to see what Lou does.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Rochester22

edit...

Last edited by Rochester22: 05-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Rochester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Rochester22

Quote:

and what is the rangers goal? sign drury and gomez and have stanley cup hopes in the pre-season, yet you cant even get out of the second round.

I remember quite a few Rag fans in the pre-season say how its their year this year, and how the Devils weren't even going to make the playoffs.

get back to me when you win something of importance

Rochester22 is offline   Reply With Quote