HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two Pucks

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 11:09 PM
RushingRocket

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
Two Pucks

Alright, I know this is completely off topic, but I was talking with a friend of mine who has just recently become a hockey fan, just about some of my memories about the 1994 Cup run, and how that sealed my love of hockey and the rangers, Messier's prediction, Stephan Matteau, Richter's save on Bure. I was ten and early on in the playoffs, my parents didn't let me stay up for the games, so I'd keep a transistor radio under my pillow and listen to the end of the games...In any case, we were watching a game the other day and something strange happened on the ice, sparking somebody to say, "that was the strangest thing I've ever seen happen during a game." Immediately I remember the controversy during the playoffs where everybody thought the rangers scored, but a fan actually threw a puck from the stands into the goal, triggering the light. Does anybody have a link to a site that recounts exactly what happened, or would be willing to recount it? Did the guy who did it get caught? What game was it in? etc...

Old
02-11-2004, 11:22 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushingRocket
Alright, I know this is completely off topic, but I was talking with a friend of mine who has just recently become a hockey fan, just about some of my memories about the 1994 Cup run, and how that sealed my love of hockey and the rangers, Messier's prediction, Stephan Matteau, Richter's save on Bure. I was ten and early on in the playoffs, my parents didn't let me stay up for the games, so I'd keep a transistor radio under my pillow and listen to the end of the games...In any case, we were watching a game the other day and something strange happened on the ice, sparking somebody to say, "that was the strangest thing I've ever seen happen during a game." Immediately I remember the controversy during the playoffs where everybody thought the rangers scored, but a fan actually threw a puck from the stands into the goal, triggering the light. Does anybody have a link to a site that recounts exactly what happened, or would be willing to recount it? Did the guy who did it get caught? What game was it in? etc...
I'll give you all I remember. It was during the 1992-93 season. It was not a playoff game. I beleive it was March 24, 1993 after looking in the media guide. It was against the Flyers. I beleive Ed Olcyzk and Eric Lindros (Flyers) both had hat-tricks that night???? Can anyone else help? If I am not mistaken, didn't someone jump on the ice as well that game? That game was a mess, pretty symbolic of the 92-93 season.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
RushingRocket

Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
haha...thanks, I KNEW my memory was fuzzy!

Old
02-12-2004, 02:41 AM
rickyrod

i dont remember the date, but the next day we were playing street hockey and a guy in a car slowed down as he passed us, and said "if i throw another puck in the net will it count?"

that was a bizzare fan incident. probably second or third behind the bruins beating up fans in the garden.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I believe the game...

was in the 93-94 season, and Joey Kocur took a shot, while the same time a fan whizzed a puck directly inside the net. The play had to be reviewed to prove it wasn't a goal. Another weird event was when a Ranger shot a puck that went completely through the inside of the goal and straight out the back through a small hole in the net. Once again the play had to be reviewed to make sure the puck went into the net.

Old
02-12-2004, 05:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
was in the 93-94 season, and Joey Kocur took a shot, while the same time a fan whizzed a puck directly inside the net. The play had to be reviewed to prove it wasn't a goal. Another weird event was when a Ranger shot a puck that went completely through the inside of the goal and straight out the back through a small hole in the net. Once again the play had to be reviewed to make sure the puck went into the net.
The fan throwing the puck incident happened against Vancouver and it was Messier who didn't score. The Picture was in the post and it caught both pucks, one in the net and one out in front as a rebound.

The shot through the net was a Kocur shot. The reason it was reviewed was because of the direction the puck went in after going through. It seemed as if the puck hit off the post and riccocheted to the goales right (but behind him) Additionally this was before video re-play had been instituted and was one of the first times they had to go up-stairs on a questionable goal.

Old
02-12-2004, 05:48 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
two things that stand out about Kocur's shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
The fan throwing the puck incident happened against Vancouver and it was Messier who didn't score. The Picture was in the post and it caught both pucks, one in the net and one out in front as a rebound.

The shot through the net was a Kocur shot. The reason it was reviewed was because of the direction the puck went in after going through. It seemed as if the puck hit off the post and riccocheted to the goales right (but behind him) Additionally this was before video re-play had been instituted and was one of the first times they had to go up-stairs on a questionable goal.

One is that I've never seen that happen in the NHL before or since. In fact I've never even heard of a similar incident at all since that.

the other thing is that Kocur wasn't know for his booming slapshot so for this to happen to him was quite unusual and I'm sure a great source from which to draw all sorts of compliments/snide remarks from teammates afterwards.

Also, there was no compromises to the net, the netting wasn't cut, ripped or stretched that would cause the Refs to think it would happen again and as such they continued playing with that net.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Thanks, pld!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
One is that I've never seen that happen in the NHL before or since. In fact I've never even heard of a similar incident at all since that.

the other thing is that Kocur wasn't know for his booming slapshot so for this to happen to him was quite unusual and I'm sure a great source from which to draw all sorts of compliments/snide remarks from teammates afterwards.

Also, there was no compromises to the net, the netting wasn't cut, ripped or stretched that would cause the Refs to think it would happen again and as such they continued playing with that net.
I had a feeling I was combining the two incidents. :p

Old
02-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If I remember correctly, Kocur hadn't had a goal in over a year (if not closer to two), it had become a running joke as the games without a goal added up.

There was also the goal Tikkanen scored--I think it was the 1997 playoffs against Florida?--that bounced off the back pipe of the goal so quickly no one except Tikkanen even imagined it had gone in.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:39 PM
drewcon40

There must be 2 incidents regarding an extra puck. I know for sure that the Flyers game had an incident.

Joey Kocur - slapshot through the net, I have on tape!! It was against Pittsburgh in the 91-92 season. Barasso was tossed. Kevin Stevens was irate!!! The trainer for Pittsburgh was actually ejected for waiving his glasses to Terry Gregson. (as if he were blind).

Closed Thread