HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm the kind of guy who panics easily but...

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Sonik

vCash: 500
I'm the kind of guy who panics easily but...

I don't think we should hit the alarm button right now. I'm sure BG will pull a trick up his bag.

I think he's been waiting for this moment to make a trade. You know, you don't change a winning hand. So NOW should be perfect to make a change.

Kozlov, Smyth, name it, someone who's gonna shake the heck out of this team, FAST! :mad:

Have I said that I'm the kind of guy who panics easily?

Old
02-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
I don't think we should hit the alarm button right now. I'm sure BG will pull a trick up his bag.

I think he's been waiting for this moment to make a trade. You know, you don't change a winning hand. So NOW should be perfect to make a change.

Kozlov, Smyth, name it, someone who's gonna shake the heck out of this team, FAST! :mad:

Have I said that I'm the kind of guy who panics easily?
1- Your logic is inconsistent with Gainey's desire to trade when the team is doing well. He said it himself, earlier this season.

2- Kozlov? No thanks. Smyth? OK. But what are you willing to give up?

3- We are still 6 games above .500, aren't we? In fact, according to my playoff race predictions, the Habs are only 1 point behind schedule at this point, leaving them headed towards an 86-pt season (pessimistically). As of right now, Buffalo would have to go 8 games above .500 from now to the end of the season for them to surpass the Habs in the standings, with only 26 games left! That means a record of about 16-8-2 for the Sabres to bump the Habs out of a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
I don't think we should hit the alarm button right now.
Indeed.

Old
02-13-2004, 03:26 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
I don't see any need to push the panic button. This team is 6 games over .500 and IMO overachieving this season. If you look at the preseason picks, all the experts had the Habs finishing near the bottom of the standings. Geez this team wins 3 in a row, loses a game where they outshoot the oppenent by 20 and then lose a second game in a row...and all of sudden the season is on life support we lost to a game on the road against a team that has 1 loss in their last 12 or something. And yes I understand that the 3rd was quite possibily the worst one of the season but still....

That being said...I believe that we will be in a fight for the playoffs because we have a tough schedule the rest of the way, so its going to be an interesting couple of months to say the least. I wonder if the bandwagon will support all the movement for me the Habs could be in first or last place..I would still cheer the same way

Old
02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Darz

I don't think the reason we haven't seen a trade to this point is BG's unwillingness to break up a winning hand, I think it is more a case of not wanting to mortgage the future for short term gain. Let's face it, the older expenable players we have aren't going to get us much in trade and the teams that are willing to move players that could help us out want young players/prospects in return, which Gainey I believe is hesitant to do.
Gainey has already stated that a major move is unlikely, and I really believe it is because he has already looked into them and doesn't like the price tags on alot of the players that interest him.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:19 AM
jcpenny

Lets start by getting rid of Dagenais, Juneau and Perrault. That would be a good start.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

[QUOTE=Sonik]" I'm sure BG will pull a trick up his bag."

Sounds painfull!

Old
02-13-2004, 09:29 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I don't think the reason we haven't seen a trade to this point is BG's unwillingness to break up a winning hand, I think it is more a case of not wanting to mortgage the future for short term gain. Let's face it, the older expenable players we have aren't going to get us much in trade and the teams that are willing to move players that could help us out want young players/prospects in return, which Gainey I believe is hesitant to do.
Gainey has already stated that a major move is unlikely, and I really believe it is because he has already looked into them and doesn't like the price tags on alot of the players that interest him.
So if I follow your logic, and I do, the team's record is working against the ultimate goal of building a consistent contender. While playoff money is crucial,this season is about finishing some contracts developing some players and identifying needs and assets. The only trade reasons I see is in the case that BG decides that the qualities 1 prospect may bring are so similar to those of another that 1 could be moved. Example, if Plekanec,Balej, and Perez are bringing the same thing to the table, deal them for qualities we lack. Not saying that is the case, just an example. It's very difficult to predict what he will do when you factor in the looming lockout and the fact that no one really wants to take on contract. The fan's expectations are what seem to be driving these trade talks as BG sure isn't talking much.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
So if I follow your logic, and I do, the team's record is working against the ultimate goal of building a consistent contender. While playoff money is crucial,this season is about finishing some contracts developing some players and identifying needs and assets.
Yes and no, imo. I think winning this season right now is the main focus and I'm sure that is Gainey's and Julien's top priorities. And if somehow we could improve those odds without mortgaging the future, I'm sure BG would be all over it. And truthfully, I guess it also depends on who Gainey hold high in regards to our prospects. I mean, for example, if Gainey thought that Hainsey was a headcase and would never reach his full potential (I'm not saying that, it's just an example), his best course of action would be to move him now as his value is higher now than it will be in a couple of years based on his thought process. So in a condition like that I could see a prospect or two being moved out before their potential is all but drained. Serge Savard use to do this quite a bit. Mark Peterson was a good example. After a couple brief NHL stints in Montreal, with Peterson's value a little tarnish he moved him for a second rounder before all his value was exhausted (to the Flyers. Makes the Eric Couinard trade look a little deja vuish).

Man, it would be alot easier if I could just get inside Gainey's head for a minute or two.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Man, it would be alot easier if I could just get inside Gainey's head for a minute or two.
Better hurry up, it's getting crowded in here. Nice place, too, but you can really tell Bo played a few years without a helmet.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Better hurry up, it's getting crowded in here. Nice place, too, but you can really tell Bo played a few years without a helmet.
I wonder if he hears the voices at night.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
We try to keep the noise down to an acceptable "constant ringing" level.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Could they be the " forum ghosts"?

Closed Thread