HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would you give up?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 02:14 AM
st_roland

vCash: 500
What would you give up?

I thought it might be interesting to see what fans from different teams would give up for Todd Bertuzzi, post-assault. I was reading on another board how one fan thought that maybe Van. would try to trade him on deadline day to see if maybe they could get a "Doan-type" player. To me, that would be just total thievery. Doan has outscored Bert this season, is a clean player, and has character coming out his ears. I don't think he matches up with Bert physically(talent, fearsome package, etc.), but with Berts salary @ 7 mil, I don't think he earned that this season. But for the sake of discussion, lets assume that Bertuzzi gets suspended the remainder of the year and playoffs, and that the canucks in the offseason want to see what they could get for him.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you give up from your team for him? I'll post my offer and rationale later.

By the way, I realize this may be embaressing for the posters who are still Bertuzzi fans. Oh well.

Last edited by st_roland: 03-11-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old
03-11-2004, 02:27 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

His value couldn't be any lower then it is today. He makes 6.8 million, that number alone is hard to deal with these days, he's enjoying an average season for his likings (if he weren't suspended, he was on pace for 20 goals (46 last season)) and the fact that he is quite undiciplinary are all reasons why he likely won't fetch as much as say 2 years ago. To top it off, he's 29 years old, he likely won't play a game this season anymore, and since there might not even be a season next year, he could make his debute again way far ahead in 2005/2006, the season he will be an UFA.

I like Bertuzzi, but his value isn't very impressive right now. I'd likely offer 1st's and top notch prospects but I won't offer any contributing roster players for him.

Maybe like:

To Dallas:

- Todd Bertuzzi
- Future considerations

To Vancouver

- 2004 & 2005 1st
- Jason Bacashihua
- Jussi Jokinen
- Vojtach Polak
- John Erskine

Wouldn't mind seeing a Bertuzzi - Arnott - Guerin line..

Old
03-11-2004, 02:27 AM
leafaholix*

He's not going anywhere.

If he was, he'd fetch a boatload.

This won't affect his stock much.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:39 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He's not going anywhere.

If he was, he'd fetch a boatload.

This won't affect his stock much.

Do you think he'd fetch a Doan-like player? Something like a Frolov, Tanguay, or Havlat(not that all those guys are of the same value, but all are guys I wouldn't trade for Bertuzzi now)?

Old
03-11-2004, 02:42 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
looking for the future, i wouldn't trade frolov in a package, frolov is an awesome young hockey player, bertuzzi is an awesome older much more expensive hockey player...

tanguay/havlat as well, but not to the extent of frolov imo, plus havlat already has a lovely little contract issue under his dirty belt

Old
03-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Do you think he'd fetch a Doan-like player? Something like a Frolov, Tanguay, or Havlat(not that all those guys are of the same value, but all are guys I wouldn't trade for Bertuzzi now)?
Trade Bertuzzi to the Avs? That'd go over well.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:55 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Havlat? Yes.
- Ottawa needs a powerforward like Bertuzzi.

Frolov? No.
- He's too important... LA's not lacking older players.

Doan? No.
- He's their leader.

Tanguay? No.
- With Sakic and Forsberg going, they need to think about hanging onto the youngsters. And Tanguay's a top NHL talent.

Old
03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
his value to ottawa is more that it would be in a trade.

Old
03-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God

To Dallas:

- Todd Bertuzzi
- Future considerations

To Vancouver

- 2004 & 2005 1st
- Jason Bacashihua
- Jussi Jokinen
- Vojtach Polak
- John Erskine

Uh huh. So you wouldn't even give one remotely recognizable roster player in return for one of the best power wingers in the league? Weak.

Start with Morrow. End of story. Vancouver most likely wouldn't ask for anything less.

Old
03-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Ozy_Flame

M=G.....Counter Proposal........

Brendan Morrow

for

2004 2nd
Ilya Krikunov
Denis Grot
Sergei Varlamov

Now does that sound appealing to you? Probably not. I'm sure Vancouver feels the same way. YOU may not want to give up roster players for him, but give someone like Bobby Clarke or Glen Sather a chance to get him and they could offer up a much better package than the one you suggested.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Peter Griffin

It's a moot point because the Canucks won't give up on Bertuzzi, but if he were available, solid NHL'ers would have to be coming the Canucks' way, not picks/prospects. I have no clue what his value is, but I'd assume that most teams would have interest, although a lot would be scared off by his contract($6.6 mil in '04/'05, $6.9 mil in '05/'06 and '06/'07). I could see the Canucks wanting to trade him to the Eastern Conference and willing to take less to move him as far away as possible. Boston, Toronto, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Montreal would likely have strong interest as well as the Isles, Tampa and Rangers showing some interest, but I don't see any possibility of a deal.

In any case, it's a moot point, Bertuzzi won't be traded anytime soon.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Simon Gagne

If that isn't enough, we could throw in Radivojevic considering Hitchcock doesn't seem to like him.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Simon Gagne

If that isn't enough, we could throw in Radivojevic considering Hitchcock doesn't seem to like him.
Thats almost appealing.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
It's a moot point because the Canucks won't give up on Bertuzzi, but if he were available, solid NHL'ers would have to be coming the Canucks' way, not picks/prospects. I have no clue what his value is, but I'd assume that most teams would have interest, although a lot would be scared off by his contract($6.6 mil in '04/'05, $6.9 mil in '05/'06 and '06/'07). I could see the Canucks wanting to trade him to the Eastern Conference and willing to take less to move him as far away as possible. Boston, Toronto, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Montreal would likely have strong interest as well as the Isles, Tampa and Rangers showing some interest, but I don't see any possibility of a deal.

In any case, it's a moot point, Bertuzzi won't be traded anytime soon.

Its a hypothetical situation. I don't expect the Nucks to trade bertuzzi cause they'd get less than market value for him because of his actions and contract.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Blackjack

Assuming we can get him signed to an extention, and that he is allowed to play again, I'd give up Zach Parise, a 1st in '04, and a 1st in '05

Old
03-12-2004, 12:01 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Assuming we can get him signed to an extention, and that he is allowed to play again, I'd give up Zach Parise, a 1st in '04, and a 1st in '05
whoa.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
M=G.....Counter Proposal........

Brendan Morrow

for

2004 2nd
Ilya Krikunov
Denis Grot
Sergei Varlamov

Now does that sound appealing to you? Probably not. I'm sure Vancouver feels the same way. YOU may not want to give up roster players for him, but give someone like Bobby Clarke or Glen Sather a chance to get him and they could offer up a much better package than the one you suggested.
Sure thing..

I gave up 2 first rounders, a potential starter, 2 potential top 6 snipers and a bruising stay at home defenseman who's only 23. Unless there's something even remotely close as comparable in your stinky offer, we'll continue talks.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Mizral

Even today, I still wouldn't trade Bertuzzi for jugheads like John Erskine in M=G's deal, or even Marty Havlat or Alex Tanguay. The guy, when healthy and motivated, is perhaps the best player in the league. Yes, motivation is a huge issue, but I'm of the belief that Todd is going to come back from this a more mature individual, and have the best season of his career. The kind of 'Cam Neely-like' season.

Some time off hockey will put Todd's life in order, and this suspension should make him realize how precious the gift of playing in the NHL is. If this motivates him (like the last suspension he got motivated him), Bertuzzi could be a force to be reckoned with next year in the NHL. For those reasons, I would not move Bertuzzi short of getting Ilya Kovalchuk in a deal.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'll say what I've always said...there are three players in the league I would trade Bertuzzi straight up for: Martin Brodeur, Ilya Kovalchuk and Rick Nash. That remains true.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:31 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Sure thing..

I gave up 2 first rounders, a potential starter, 2 potential top 6 snipers and a bruising stay at home defenseman who's only 23. Unless there's something even remotely close as comparable in your stinky offer, we'll continue talks.

I thought your offer was pretty generous. I wouldnt give up what you did for Bertuzzi. Who knows how he'll be affected by this whole thing. He wasn't himself this year before the incident, and who knows how he'll be affected by this incident.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I like M=G's offer more than most of you, mainly because it includes Bacashihua who I'm a fan of. However, I wouldn't do a pure prospects deal...I'd ask Dallas to drop a 1st and everyone except Cash and maybe include a guy like Kapanen, Barnes, or Matvichuk.

Here's my proposal...

To OTT: Bertuzzi
To VAN: Vermette, Havlat

...I'd only do this deal if it was apparent that Todd Bertuzzi could not effectively be a Vancouver Canuck any more. Although Havlat might be overpaying.

A good comparison would probably be the (2nd) Lindros deal:

Kim Johnsson, Jan Hlavac, Pavel Brendl

(try not to hold Hlavac and Brendl in the light they're held now...they were much more highly regarded back then)

Old
03-12-2004, 02:25 AM
leafaholix*

Bertuzzi would fetch much more then Lindros did.

He's healthy... Eric Lindros was in extremely bad condition.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Ozy_Flame

The majority has spoken. You may not like my counter-offer M=G, but 9 out of 10 people here would NOT trade Bert for simply prospects. That idea alone is pathetic. Case in point.

Old
03-13-2004, 06:58 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Some time off hockey will put Todd's life in order, and this suspension should make him realize how precious the gift of playing in the NHL is. If this motivates him (like the last suspension he got motivated him), Bertuzzi could be a force to be reckoned with next year in the NHL. For those reasons, I would not move Bertuzzi short of getting Ilya Kovalchuk in a deal.
although souray came back from injuries and not what todd did but with the way he's been playing this year a lot of folks asked him bout his time off and he said it gave him "time to think about the game and to realize how important it was to me" and for him to mature as a human being first and foremost, this time off will do the same for todd IMO and i think he will come back "hungry" but a "mature hungry" and that is always good

Old
03-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
I don't know if you could put Bertuzzi and Guerin on the same line without envoking the wrath of god.

Closed Thread