HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with Stick choice

Old
05-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 500
Need help with Stick choice

I really need help, I need to buy a new hockey stick soon but I am stumped which one to buy. I am a forward, I play all three positions but I prefer wing. I can also play defense and I may be better on defense than forward so I need a stick that is good for a defenseman as well as a forward.

I am a playmaker, and I rarely shoot. I prefer sticks with a good feel and a good shot. I have been looking at the Warrior Dolomite but I don't know how good it would be if I was a defenseman. I have also been looking at the CCM U-Stick, the Nike Bauer One 90 as well as the Bauer Vapor XXXX. The leading cantidate so far is the Nike Bauer One 90, I have heard it good for defensemen but it is mainly a shooter's stick so I have heard.

Can anyone recommend a good stick for a playmaker/offensive defenseman?

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Redden Hogalot*

AK-27 shaft and blade, if you want a two peice.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Red Dragon

I play Defense but used to be a Forward. I have been using Vapors for some time now. I use the vapor XVI mainly cause I dont have all too much money but I find it good for passing and stickhandling, I perfer the Lindros curve. If you are looking to take slap shots from the point go with a Sherwood Spezza curve.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

If you are a playmaker then get the Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX. It's great for stickhandling and passes. The One90 is more of a shooters stick.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
MG91

one word....... DOLOMITE

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
I couldnt agree more with you on the shaft and blade. i switched over to it this winter and its by far the best stick i have had. i did change the blade to an easton stealth lidstrom. but it has great feel for passing and shooting and very durable.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:05 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Didn't you already make this thread? http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=14087305 Stop re-posting the same question over and over cause you just want to hear consensus.

There's no such thing as a forward's stick or a D-man's stick. Get over it already.
All the shafts that people have named are top-of-the-line and it's really just personal preference at this point.

You want great feel? Use a wood blade.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:50 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

Vapor XXX
I use it and love it.

Also, it's the first stick I've owned that WONT BREAK. Seriously, I tried snapping it in every way possible and it wouldn't budge

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 02:03 AM
deanosaur

Manitoba boy eh?
If you're in the area hit up Brandon Source for Sports or one of two locations of Royal Sports in Winnipeg, they'll help you out BIG time.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
I couldnt agree more with you on the shaft and blade. i switched over to it this winter and its by far the best stick i have had. i did change the blade to an easton stealth lidstrom. but it has great feel for passing and shooting and very durable.
I have the Warrior Johnson Draper in mine. The first few shots, I kept shooting over the next but now I am use to it.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Manitoba boy eh?
If you're in the area hit up Brandon Source for Sports or one of two locations of Royal Sports in Winnipeg, they'll help you out BIG time.
Yeah, I have been to both. Royal Sports is way too expensive for me, but the Source for Sports is just right

Old
05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
JumboJoe19
Hank027

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
what he said

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
I am a playmaker, and I rarely shoot. I prefer sticks with a good feel and a good shot. I have been looking at the Warrior Dolomite but I don't know how good it would be if I was a defenseman. I have also been looking at the CCM U-Stick, the Nike Bauer One 90 as well as the Bauer Vapor XXXX. The leading cantidate so far is the Nike Bauer One 90, I have heard it good for defensemen but it is mainly a shooter's stick so I have heard.
Nope, I can't help you cause I love sticks with no feel, balance, and kick

Quote:
There's no such thing as a forward's stick or a D-man's stick. Get over it already.
All the shafts that people have named are top-of-the-line and it's really just personal preference at this point.

You want great feel? Use a wood blade.
QFT

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post

Vapor XXX
I use it and love it.

Also, it's the first stick I've owned that WONT BREAK. Seriously, I tried snapping it in every way possible and it wouldn't budge
Good stick but to bad they dont make them no more it was one of my favorite nike/bauer sticks to have ever used.

Old
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Everest

Seriously,bro' follow mt lead and go back to a wooden stick.

I spent over 2000 bux in the past 1.5 years on top level composite's and I'm sick of it!

I find I rarely snap them like the NHLers do...but the blades get stepped on or crumpled all too often.

For guys like us...its not feasible to buy top level composites and if you get the cheapies...your buying CRAP!! You will find a wood stick heavy for a little while but there are benifits to it still.

If you are looking at buying a wooden stick than can provide comaprable effect to a to a comp' there are some things you can do to help it out.

One of the bad things about wooden sticks is the thickness of the heal. Its normally much thicker and drags much more than a mechanically crafted synthetic stick...BUT...I like to sand some of the woodies' down and then coat them with a hard out door deck laquer/sealant...(trust me on this...)

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 03:39 AM
daveskirtun

Quote:
Good stick but to bad they dont make them no more it was one of my favorite nike/bauer sticks to have ever used.
They really stopped making them? I stocked up and bought 5 last spring so I wouldn't know. That's a damn shame, I should probably take better care of them now

Old
05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Hale The Villain

Can anyone give me some info on the Bauer Vapor XXV? I love the look but I want to know how good it's feel is ect....

Old
05-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
They really stopped making them? I stocked up and bought 5 last spring so I wouldn't know. That's a damn shame, I should probably take better care of them now

This is the stick you're talking about right?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...-xxx-lite.html

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
This is the stick you're talking about right?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...-xxx-lite.html
No thats the bad one. the 05 model is the first XXX and they werent made very well so bauer re-tooled them to make them stronger.

Old
05-24-2008, 04:24 PM
xpat1313x

Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
Quote:
No thats the bad one. the 05 model is the first XXX and they werent made very well so bauer re-tooled them to make them stronger.
I believe you are confusing them with the original XXX which was blue with red writing, those weren't made by bauer then bauer retooled them into the xxx-lite.

xpat1313x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
daveskirtun

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one. I'm a little irritated I paid more then the standard price

Old
05-25-2008, 11:08 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
I really need help, I need to buy a new hockey stick soon but I am stumped which one to buy. I am a forward, I play all three positions but I prefer wing. I can also play defense and I may be better on defense than forward so I need a stick that is good for a defenseman as well as a forward.

Can anyone recommend a good stick for a playmaker/offensive defenseman?
I've triedthe One90 and I own two Vapor XXXX's.
I find the One90 is very rigid, you get alot of power but less feel for the puck.
You won't get as hard a slapshot with the Vapor XXXX but the passing and wrist shots are amazing.
Lindros P88 Vapor XXXX is what you want for playmking, sauce passes are a breeze, whether it's a pass from the corner to the point or just a short one across the crease it feels like the puck is on a string.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:10 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I've triedthe One90 and I own two Vapor XXXX's.
I find the One90 is very rigid, you get alot of power but less feel for the puck.
You won't get as hard a slapshot with the Vapor XXXX but the passing and wrist shots are amazing.
Lindros P88 Vapor XXXX is what you want for playmking, sauce passes are a breeze, whether it's a pass from the corner to the point or just a short one across the crease it feels like the puck is on a string.

You're from Montreal. Of all people, I'd expect Montrealers to know a bit more about equipment than what you just offered.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

facepalm.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote