HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Washington

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 08:30 AM
capsize

vCash:
News from Washington

I thought you guys would like to know that a DC based radio station is reporting that the Caps are considering moving Brendan Witt to Montreal for Hainsey and pick.

What's the scoop on Hainsey, i saw his name a few times on top prospects lists but how come he's still in the AHL with Souray injured??? He's got to be good to be traded almost straight up for Witt!?

P.S. Forgot to say that the Avs and Leafs are believed to interested as well although they are also looking for bigger deals (Lang, Gonchar). Leonsis is cleaning house.

Last edited by capsize: 02-13-2004 at 08:37 AM. Reason: New info

Old
02-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
Although I don't believe a Hainsey-Witt trade is happening, Hainsey does have the type of skills that have GM's drooling. He has decent size and some really good offensive skills. He has a Brian Leetch appeal to him. If he could improve his work ethic a little he would already be logging serious minutes in the NHL, but....

Old
02-13-2004, 08:53 AM
leafaholix*

Steal for Montreal.

Witt - Reliable top 4 defenseman.
Hainsey - Bust.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:00 AM
capsize

vCash:
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
I can tell you that Witt, like the rest of the team, is having a difficult year. Some personal issues may be a factor althought reporters here are respecting players' privacy. I thought he could develop his offensive game a bit more with time, but he never did. Is Hainsey really tagged as a bust or are you alone holding this view? Even if he's not a bust, it's gotta be a first round pick coming back. McPhee is said to be in a full rebuilding mode and hopefully acquiring 2 or 3 first round picks before the deadline.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:05 AM
romain_jaime

I have to say, the Canadiens are in desparate need of a big hitting player but I would have thought that would be in the middle in the form of a center. If this is infact true, Witt would add a big body on the team and punishing hitter that we need soooo badly.

As far as Hainsey is concerned, Montreal has great depth on the blueline and he will have to be more then a quarterback to make this team. This is the reason he hasn't seen more action at the NHL level.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:06 AM
goalchenyuk

and another thread talk about a trade for Viktor Kozlov...

and 100 other threads are talking about a trade for Smyth...about that , i read yesterday on another board that the gm oilers took apart Laraque and Smyth affter their practice ..

also read ''I'm well aware of the rampant Ryan Smyth rumors circulating and I though it would interest you guys to know that the Oilers had a scout at the game last night.I know this for a fact since I'm good friends with an employee of the Copps and we got to talking about hockey and the Leafs trade for Berehowsky,he's a Leaf fan.We started talking about players like Bondra,Zhamnov etc...and where they might end up,we also talked about Ryan Smyth and my buddy was quick to point out that the Oilers had a scout at the game.He's familiar with the guy and knows he's an Oiler representative due to the fact he was a regular at several games last year as the Dogs were the farm team of both clubs''

so have fun with all those speculations...

Old
02-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Alexj4x*

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
Please go away

Old
02-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
It is amazing how Leaf fans are always ready to jump all over someone else's prospects. Hainsey is FAR from a bust. He has awesome skating ability and a lot of skill. Any time a trade is rumoured, his name always pops up. I guess other teams don't see any problem, although he may need to spend the rest of the year in the AHL.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:12 AM
mcphee

I don't know that anyone else considers him a bust. P osters on this board, in general seem to like him, but I find that we, like all teams tend to overrate our own prospects. Darz is right, he has some nice offensive instincts, but I haven't been impressed by him. I keep reading about his top end potential and some posters whom I respect rate him highly, but I kind of think that he will be moved. Maybe not in this deal but in another. The Habs have been very clear about the type of character players they want to build with and I think that Hainsey may not fit with the long range plan.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I don't know that anyone else considers him a bust. P osters on this board, in general seem to like him, but I find that we, like all teams tend to overrate our own prospects. Darz is right, he has some nice offensive instincts, but I haven't been impressed by him. I keep reading about his top end potential and some posters whom I respect rate him highly, but I kind of think that he will be moved. Maybe not in this deal but in another. The Habs have been very clear about the type of character players they want to build with and I think that Hainsey may not fit with the long range plan.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
Witt is terrible. Washington would be adding picks, not Montreal. Witt has been playing ECHL calibre hockey all season.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Bob In Kitchener

You may be right, but there is no denying his talent. He just needs to get his head screwed on straight...then he'll be fine.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Darz

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
O.K. if Hainey=Bust
then
Pierre Hedin = some sort of Super bust.

Now how are you going to argue that Hainsey who is a few years younger than Hedin and has played more games at the NHL level than Hedin is more of a bust than Hedin!

Old
02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
GilleZ

I can understand that Hainsey can be traded. But id like to know what side Witt plays. If its left he will bump Boullion when souray will be back, and if its right, we will need to place back Komisarek in the minors and Rivet or Quintal will find himself 7th D. I dont know if we will have a better team for next year, because we all know that we wont win the cup with Bulis and Dagenais in our 2 first line.

Yo Habs Yo!!!

Old
02-13-2004, 09:33 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
O.K. if Hainey=Bust
then
Pierre Hedin = some sort of Super bust.

Now how are you going to argue that Hainsey who is a few years younger than Hedin and has played more games at the NHL level than Hedin is more of a bust than Hedin!
Hedin wasn't a top 15 pick.

And he was an all-star in his rookie season (AHL).

Not sure where Hainsey was.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
Nothing like a Leaf troll who likes to throw a snowball then leave. At least if you stated something accurate it might give you a little credibility. I didn't realize a player could even be a bust before he reaches his 23rd birthday. It's a good thing you're not a Director of Player Development or whatever team you worked for would have as many good prospects on the farm as...well...the Leafs.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Darz

Quote:

It's not like he is 4-5 years removed from his AHL rookie season (that wasn't even two full seasons ago). I mean how quickly does a player get the 'Bust' label thrown on him.
So I assume if Carlo Colaiacovo is still in the AHL next year he will be considered a bust and have no trade value whatsoever as well??? How about Mikael Tellqvist?? He is two years older than Hainsey and seen what 3-4 NHL games. I assume you consider him a bust?? And I assume you consider Jay Harrison a bust as well. He is only a couple of months younger than Hainsey and has yet to play in the NHL. And Karel Pilar is much older...so I assume he is a no value bust as well!

Old
02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
PrairieHabber

Good points Darz. I don't know why we (and I include myself in that) even reply to trolls like Mr. Hedin. He consistently comes to this board and throws little snowballs to annoy Habs fans. The sad thing is he seems to be an intelligent fellow. In any case, I think going to another team's board and making foolish little slams like this are in poor taste.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
habs_pat

Witt to Montreal

I don't think Montreal need Witt unless another top 6 dman is involved, there would be no place left for Bouillon... So let's make Rivet and Hainsey for Witt...

Old
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
leafaholix*

It was a joke ladies.

It goes back to the Hainsey/Hedin poll.

I'm a Habs fan as well.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
It was a joke ladies.

It goes back to the Hainsey/Hedin poll.

I'm a Habs fan as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Carbo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsize
I can tell you that Witt, like the rest of the team, is having a difficult year. Some personal issues may be a factor althought reporters here are respecting players' privacy. I thought he could develop his offensive game a bit more with time, but he never did. Is Hainsey really tagged as a bust or are you alone holding this view? Even if he's not a bust, it's gotta be a first round pick coming back. McPhee is said to be in a full rebuilding mode and hopefully acquiring 2 or 3 first round picks before the deadline.
Hainsey is not a Bust. He is only 22 or 23 and still very young. He has tons of tools to be a dominant 2 way defensman one day. I'd go so far as to say he has top line potential and 2nd line is almost a sure thing.

As with 90% of all D prospects, it takes a bit longer to mature and find your stride in the NHL. I'm not sold on giving up Hainsey, especially since Witt won't make the Habs a contender this year or next and would only be picked up to help ensure us a playoff spot. I think I'd rather miss the playoffs this year and keep a 1-2 punch with top D lines containing guys like Komo, Hainsey, Markov and Souray down the road when we will be a contender again.

So if you guys lands Hainsey, you should be thrilled because he will be a great D-man one day.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsize
I thought you guys would like to know that a DC based radio station is reporting that the Caps are considering moving Brendan Witt to Montreal for Hainsey and pick.

What's the scoop on Hainsey, i saw his name a few times on top prospects lists but how come he's still in the AHL with Souray injured??? He's got to be good to be traded almost straight up for Witt!?

P.S. Forgot to say that the Avs and Leafs are believed to interested as well although they are also looking for bigger deals (Lang, Gonchar). Leonsis is cleaning house.
Love Witt. I would make this deal in a heartbeat (although I think it's a more fair trade without the pick - Hainsey's upside is better than Witt's, who doesn't really have an upside anymore).

Old
02-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Carbo21

Quote:
Hedin wasn't a top 15 pick.

Not sure where Hainsey was.
Here are the facts:
Hedin was selected in the 8th round, 239th overall in 1999.
Hainsey was selected in the 1st round, 13th overall in 2000.

btw, who cares when someone was selected, it's almost completely meaningless. The Big EC was selected in the first round ahead of Gagne while Ryder was selected in the 8th round.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:16 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I am in Washington and listen to WTEM all the time (the all sports station)....I have not heard this...what station was it reported on?

Closed Thread