HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

News from Washington

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 11:27 AM
red alert 23

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Darz]He has a Brian Leetch appeal to him.
Oh God ! Darz Stop smoking your pretzels !!! Hainsey will never be 1/10 of Leetch !
You`ve just lost your credibility my friend !

Old
02-13-2004, 11:29 AM
red alert 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Steal for Montreal.

Witt - Reliable top 4 defenseman.
Hainsey - Bust.
I agree 100 % ; could have said it better myself !

Old
02-13-2004, 11:45 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
Coliacovo has done well sticking with the Leafs too, he can't even steal a job on D from bums like Jackman and now Berehowsky.

Bye, Bye Troll.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98
I am in Washington and listen to WTEM all the time (the all sports station)....I have not heard this...what station was it reported on?
This exactly why I love these types of "rumours." Why can't people site the radio station. Everyone I know listens to set radio stations thus they know the name. I personally think if someone doesn't mention the name of the station, then the thread should be locked until some confirmation brought forth through the thread starter or someone else who can confirm it.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:42 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I should add, the Caps have exactly TWO NHL defensemen on the active roster...given the rumors about Gonchar being moved for solid prospects and high picks, I really couldn't see the Caps trading away the one quasi-saty-at-home D-man they have.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:54 PM
capsize

vCash:
Wtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98
I should add, the Caps have exactly TWO NHL defensemen on the active roster...given the rumors about Gonchar being moved for solid prospects and high picks, I really couldn't see the Caps trading away the one quasi-saty-at-home D-man they have.

It's coming from WTOP, from that big fat Heist, who I agree, knows nothing about hockey, not his specialty at all...

Old
02-13-2004, 12:56 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
is Hainsey a Alexander Daigle type guy?

Old
02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Steal for Montreal.

Hainsey - Bust.
Troll Alert.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Darz

[QUOTE=red alert 23]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
He has a Brian Leetch appeal to him.
Oh God ! Darz Stop smoking your pretzels !!! Hainsey will never be 1/10 of Leetch !
You`ve just lost your credibility my friend !
I don't think Hainsey will ever become Leetch, but if you want to compare style's they are similiar.

.........oh and by the way, I don't smoke pretzels..........too many carbs!

Old
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsize
I can tell you that Witt, like the rest of the team, is having a difficult year. Some personal issues may be a factor althought reporters here are respecting players' privacy. I thought he could develop his offensive game a bit more with time, but he never did. Is Hainsey really tagged as a bust or are you alone holding this view? Even if he's not a bust, it's gotta be a first round pick coming back. McPhee is said to be in a full rebuilding mode and hopefully acquiring 2 or 3 first round picks before the deadline.
It's still too early for anyone to call anyone a bust. Besides, that guy is a leafs fan. All credibility goes down the drain...

Old
02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
habitants9_4

Quote:
It was a joke ladies.

It goes back to the Hainsey/Hedin poll.

I'm a Habs fan as well.
Just so you know Hainsey made it to the All-Star game in his rookie season, and on top of that he spent a lot of time in the NHL when they were choosing the players that can be selected from. Which is the reason why Komisarek originally made it and Hainsey didn't. Oh and Hedin was a replacement. Don't call Hainsey a bust, considering the fact that HE IS better than any defensmen Leafs prospect YES Colaiacovo included.

Old
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
It could be interestiong , Brendan Witt could steal Quintal job and be the nasty defensemen we need . Witt is in the mid 20's if i'm not mistaken so he has at least 5-7 years of solid hockey left in him . I think he's a bit overrated because of the lack of quality d-men in Washinton and Hainsey is a big price tag for him imo .

I would try to do something with Bondra and Witt . Hainsey + 1st pick could be enough imo .

Old
02-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
It could be interestiong , Brendan Witt could steal Quintal job and be the nasty defensemen we need . Witt is in the mid 20's if i'm not mistaken so he has at least 5-7 years of solid hockey left in him . I think he's a bit overrated because of the lack of quality d-men in Washinton and Hainsey is a big price tag for him imo .

I would try to do something with Bondra and Witt . Hainsey + 1st pick could be enough imo .

IMO if any picks switch hands, it would be from Washington. Witt turns 29 next week. Hainsey straight up for Witt is something I personally wouldn't do because of the age difference.

Old
02-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
IMO if any picks switch hands, it would be from Washington. Witt turns 29 next week. Hainsey straight up for Witt is something I personally wouldn't do because of the age difference.
Yeah but you forgot Bondra ....

Old
02-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Yeah but you forgot Bondra ....

Sorry it wasn't really specified to you, more to do with the initial "rumour."

Personally I don't think I would do Hainsey for Witt straight up. Bondra for a first is extreme overpayment for a rental player. Montreal could probably package the first rounder and get someone like Smyth, someone who would be much more useful then Bondra because Bondra will resign with Washington anyhow.

Old
02-13-2004, 07:32 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
It was a joke ladies.

It goes back to the Hainsey/Hedin poll.

I'm a Habs fan as well.
How can one be a Leafs fan and a Habs fan??? Is that even legal in Canada?

Old
02-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Lok

I prefer J. Love Hewitt but Brendan Witt can do the job

Old
02-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Sorry it wasn't really specified to you, more to do with the initial "rumour."

Personally I don't think I would do Hainsey for Witt straight up. Bondra for a first is extreme overpayment for a rental player. Montreal could probably package the first rounder and get someone like Smyth, someone who would be much more useful then Bondra because Bondra will resign with Washington anyhow.
Wow, you value Hainsey more than Witt, who's only 28. He is big, mean, and he will fight. He is also a premier PKer and has good leadership. He's not making very much, less than 2 million. Hainsey has upside, but he also has defects. Nevermind the attitude, I would take Witt over Hainsey for now and for ever.

Anyway, about the validity of the rumour, it's plausible given the Caps situation. It also echoes the Gauthier rumours. It sounds like Gainey is trying to find a Matvichuk-type defender, which worked real well for him in Dallas, especially in the playoffs.

But you make a good point about Smyth, though it would take more than a 1st and a so-so prospect. If I had to choose between a Power Forward or an Angry Defenceman, I would probably go with the PF. But it sounds like an AD is on Gainey's shopping list as well.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Wow, you value Hainsey more than Witt, who's only 28. He is big, mean, and he will fight. He is also a premier PKer and has good leadership. He's not making very much, less than 2 million. Hainsey has upside, but he also has defects. Nevermind the attitude, I would take Witt over Hainsey for now and for ever.

Anyway, about the validity of the rumour, it's plausible given the Caps situation. It also echoes the Gauthier rumours. It sounds like Gainey is trying to find a Matvichuk-type defender, which worked real well for him in Dallas, especially in the playoffs.

But you make a good point about Smyth, though it would take more than a 1st and a so-so prospect. If I had to choose between a Power Forward or an Angry Defenceman, I would probably go with the PF. But it sounds like an AD is on Gainey's shopping list as well.

Hainsey for Witt is a tough call. Witt turns 29 next week. If the NHL sits out for a year, or the CBA reduces UFA to 30, both are distinct possibilities, than Witt becomes nothing more than a rental. I love what he brings, and my opinion has never been high on Hainsey, I just wonder if it is good asset management. If it turns into a rental situation, there are many other vets you could get to fill the void of Souray for picks at the deadline.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Hainsey for Witt is a tough call. Witt turns 29 next week. If the NHL sits out for a year, or the CBA reduces UFA to 30, both are distinct possibilities, than Witt becomes nothing more than a rental. I love what he brings, and my opinion has never been high on Hainsey, I just wonder if it is good asset management. If it turns into a rental situation, there are many other vets you could get to fill the void of Souray for picks at the deadline.
I agree. It's a no brainer. Witt isn't worth coughing up a Ron Hainsey type of prospect. Not in the context the NHL now sits in. Witt is good, but his age dramatically diminishes his value to the point where he will probably be available for a pick or mid prospect at the deadline. Now if we were able to get Witt for Hainsey AND being garenteed he'll resign to a long term contract with the team, that'd be an other story.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:02 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Witt is terrible. Washington would be adding picks, not Montreal. Witt has been playing ECHL calibre hockey all season.

How often do you watch the caps play?

Old
02-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Yes, that's a bad case scenario. That could very well damage a GM's reputation. But there will probably be hockey next year, even if it's only a shortened season.

You and Munchausen are right about Witt needing to sign long term for this deal to work. I figure that five years of Witt in his prime at a reasonable salary is worth the chance that Hainsey will never amount to more than a Poti-type.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Yes, that's a bad case scenario. That could very well damage a GM's reputation. But there will probably be hockey next year, even if it's only a shortened season.

You and Munchausen are right about Witt needing to sign long term for this deal to work. I figure that five years of Witt in his prime at a reasonable salary is worth the chance that Hainsey will never amount to more than a Poti-type.
Makes sense to me. I'll call Gainey, you Mchpee, we'll have a real time video conference with Witt and his agent, and get this deal rubber stamped.

Old
02-14-2004, 09:31 AM
felixd

Before reading this, keep in mind I am not a very big Hainsey fan.

I don't think the Habs should do this trade only because it would be an inneficient use of their assets. We are already grooming a hitter/tough defenseman in Komisarek, and he should be seeing regular NHL time by next season. We also have Souray, and since he is heavily injured, it would be nice to have another tough customer. However, we do not have any other prospects that will threaten to be legitimate powerplay quarterbacks. Markov is good, but I see him more as a second powerplay unit quarterback. Ron Hainsey can be a quarterback if he develops well. While I think Witt would be a valuable addition to the habs, giving up Hainsey does not make sense for the Canadiens.(I'm not saying the trade isn't fair, because I think it is). Bring on Perreault for Gauthier!

Old
02-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Before reading this, keep in mind I am not a very big Hainsey fan.

I don't think the Habs should do this trade only because it would be an inneficient use of their assets. We are already grooming a hitter/tough defenseman in Komisarek, and he should be seeing regular NHL time by next season. We also have Souray, and since he is heavily injured, it would be nice to have another tough customer. However, we do not have any other prospects that will threaten to be legitimate powerplay quarterbacks. Markov is good, but I see him more as a second powerplay unit quarterback. Ron Hainsey can be a quarterback if he develops well. While I think Witt would be a valuable addition to the habs, giving up Hainsey does not make sense for the Canadiens.(I'm not saying the trade isn't fair, because I think it is). Bring on Perreault for Gauthier!

Every time I see Hainsey play, I just don't see this quality PP quarterback. Also, people tend to believe the defenseman is the PPQB, but as is, Koivu and Ribeiro are often the QB's on the current PP. Quite often you see a forward directing play or even playing the point. Two prime examples are Ottawa and Vancouver.

Closed Thread