HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery to the Islanders?

Old
05-25-2008, 05:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Sean Avery to the Islanders?

Quote:
No conversations between Glen Sather and Pat Morris, the agent for Sean Avery, since the end of the playoffs, Slap Shots has been told. In other words, Charles Wang, Garth Snow . . . have your cash ready on July 1.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05252008...444.htm?page=2

Can you imagine Avery playing for that team in that building?

I don't blame Sather for not opening the CVC vault for Avery when everyone realizes NYC is a perfect fit Sean.He isn't going to find the Vera Wang parties playing in Boston.The Islanders?Come on.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:41 AM
eco's bones

Capitalism lives in the former Soviet Union. The scenario spelled out for Cherepanov's future is interesting as well. Filatov falls on draft day to the 3rd round. I can't see a team in desperate need of prospects taking a chance on him or any other Russian without some kind of guarantee. Other european prospects as well from Sweden etc. may soon be hard to get as well. What will the NHL do if their European market for players dries up? The talent level will truly take a dive.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Capitalism lives in the former Soviet Union. The scenario spelled out for Cherepanov's future is interesting as well. Filatov falls on draft day to the 3rd round. I can't see a team in desperate need of prospects taking a chance on him or any other Russian without some kind of guarantee. Other european prospects as well from Sweden etc. may soon be hard to get as well. What will the NHL do if their European market for players dries up? The talent level will truly take a dive.
The NHL may loose some battles against the KHL -- but they will never loose the war.

The KHL get all its money from sponsors -- in principle not a dime from the gates or TV-deals. Their plans are to create a European NHL, but that would never work. Like teams in Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep among others don't got the same sponsors behind them. Teams in Siberia and other places in Russia got one purpose and thats to make it a better place to live in for the workers in the industrys owned by the same guys who owns the team.

So the KHL will never expand outside Russia -- because other European teams could never compete with thoose Russians team. Its very simple math.

But thats not to say that the KHL couldn't compete wtih NHL when it comes to a number of players. I could defenitly see a Ilya Kovalchuck go to Russia on like a 10m per after taxes type of deal. Just like the WHA got Bobby Hull almost. But the NHL will always be that NHL -- the best league in the world, and I defenitly belives that most Russians wants to play in the best league. And I can gaurantee you that the best Swedes will too. As it is right now, Russia got huge problems getting the best SEL players. They get some guys for 1 season. And thoose guys don't got a huge problem playing their making 5-10x as much money as they do in the SEL -- for 1 season. But all say that 1 season defenitly is enough. The conditions are very tough. The teams don't trust their players and forces them to sleep at a compound the night before every game, even homegames etc. They see their familys like and avg of 1-2 days per week et c.

The KHL could get like 2-3 big stars from teh NHL, and like guys like Morozov, Huselius among others who are good but struggles in teh NHL. We should just hope that any of our guys isn't among thoose "lost" to the KHL.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:46 AM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The NHL may loose some battles against the KHL -- but they will never loose the war.

The KHL get all its money from sponsors -- in principle not a dime from the gates or TV-deals. Their plans are to create a European NHL, but that would never work. Like teams in Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep among others don't got the same sponsors behind them. Teams in Siberia and other places in Russia got one purpose and thats to make it a better place to live in for the workers in the industrys owned by the same guys who owns the team.

So the KHL will never expand outside Russia -- because other European teams could never compete with thoose Russians team. Its very simple math.

But thats not to say that the KHL couldn't compete wtih NHL when it comes to a number of players. I could defenitly see a Ilya Kovalchuck go to Russia on like a 10m per after taxes type of deal. Just like the WHA got Bobby Hull almost. But the NHL will always be that NHL -- the best league in the world, and I defenitly belives that most Russians wants to play in the best league. And I can gaurantee you that the best Swedes will too. As it is right now, Russia got huge problems getting the best SEL players. They get some guys for 1 season. And thoose guys don't got a huge problem playing their making 5-10x as much money as they do in the SEL -- for 1 season. But all say that 1 season defenitly is enough. The conditions are very tough. The teams don't trust their players and forces them to sleep at a compound the night before every game, even homegames etc. They see their familys like and avg of 1-2 days per week et c.

The KHL could get like 2-3 big stars from teh NHL, and like guys like Morozov, Huselius among others who are good but struggles in teh NHL. We should just hope that any of our guys isn't among thoose "lost" to the KHL.
What does any of this have to do w/ Sean Avery going to the Islanders? Screw Russia for the moment, Larry Brooks is saying that Sather is letting a key member of this team waltz onto an LIRR train towards Long Island. I think that's a little more pressing than losing Cherepanov.

Avery completely changes a team. Any lackluster team can get hot very quickly w/ a guy like Avery on the ice to ruffle some feathers. He boosts the morale on many teams he's on, and the last lackluster team that we want to see get hot is the Islanders. And in those meaningless late March/early April games we have against the Islanders, watching Sean in an Islander uni, his team down 3-0 in the middle of the second period, and the "Season's Over" chants filling up the arena spells out BAD NEWS. He'll be handing out cheap shots to guys like Gomez, Dubi, Drury, Jagr?, Hossa?, hell maybe even Henrik like it was Christmas.

And even if he doesn't go to the Islanders and stays w/ us, they'll surely raise Avery's pricetag on us, making us lose valueable cap room. The 1/2 million more we'd have to give Avery to ensure his services might cost us ufas like Orpik or Hossa, or , in the long run, cost us rfas like Dubinsky, Staal, Sangs, Cherry, Cally, and maybe even Dawes.

Sather can not afford to have Garth Snow or Charles Wang even pick up the phone to call Avery. He'll be between a rock and a hard place if he lets Sean hit the open market, and the best way to get out of a rock and a hard place is to not be there at all.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

I could see this happening if he wants to stay in the area but we won't give him the money. I hope they massively overpay for him though.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Jay88*

I think its crucial to sign Avery.NYR looks naked with out him. But, if the asking price is to insane,well a push or a run for Matt Cooke may be an option. Great fit on the 3rd line,maybe with Drury and Callahan.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

I think Slats might also be busy trying to lock down Jagr and wants to see how much that is going to cost before he starts negotiating with Avery.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Celestial Black

It would be very funny to see.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Priorities:

Jagr first

05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Vitto79

Hmmmm tough one

I really can't see Avery anywhere else and it will blow if he goes

But Matt Cooke would be a nice signing as would a Michael Ryder

I think everyone wants Rolston but we will see

last yr they signed Gomez and Drury on July 1st and I expect a few deals that day this year

I would take Orpik and Streit on D no problem as the upgrade and go with it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
last yr they signed Gomez and Drury on July 1st and I expect a few deals that day this year
I'm not so sure. Gomez and Drury were definite needs. Unless they go after a defenseman on 7/1 I don't see there being much action. The UFA market is underwhelming - so I would think that teams would wait and let other teams set the market.

05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
What does any of this have to do w/ Sean Avery going to the Islanders? Screw Russia for the moment, Larry Brooks is saying that Sather is letting a key member of this team waltz onto an LIRR train towards Long Island. I think that's a little more pressing than losing Cherepanov.

Avery completely changes a team. Any lackluster team can get hot very quickly w/ a guy like Avery on the ice to ruffle some feathers. He boosts the morale on many teams he's on, and the last lackluster team that we want to see get hot is the Islanders. And in those meaningless late March/early April games we have against the Islanders, watching Sean in an Islander uni, his team down 3-0 in the middle of the second period, and the "Season's Over" chants filling up the arena spells out BAD NEWS. He'll be handing out cheap shots to guys like Gomez, Dubi, Drury, Jagr?, Hossa?, hell maybe even Henrik like it was Christmas.

And even if he doesn't go to the Islanders and stays w/ us, they'll surely raise Avery's pricetag on us, making us lose valueable cap room. The 1/2 million more we'd have to give Avery to ensure his services might cost us ufas like Orpik or Hossa, or , in the long run, cost us rfas like Dubinsky, Staal, Sangs, Cherry, Cally, and maybe even Dawes.

Sather can not afford to have Garth Snow or Charles Wang even pick up the phone to call Avery. He'll be between a rock and a hard place if he lets Sean hit the open market, and the best way to get out of a rock and a hard place is to not be there at all.
I wanna keep Avery and defenitly think Slats should ant up 3.5m per if thats what it will take.

Though, what does Brooks expects to have changed now compared to a month ago? Sean Avery is a UFA. If he wanna see whats out there on the open market, it would probably cost Slats allot to get him to change his mind.

Sean's first priority is to stay wtih the Rangers, if he gets 4m per from NYI I am sure a 3.5m offer from us will look good. If Avery gets 5.5m per from SJ we have to let him go.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:27 AM
eco's bones

I doubt seriously that Avery is going to sign with the Islanders. That franchise has too many problems--and look to be a borderline playoff contender at best--not a real threat as a contender for a championship. The Rangers don't look all that bonafide either but overall is a superior franchise in most respects--and we are a much bigger stage. Difference between losing Jagr and Avery basically comes to this--despite Sean's uinque personality and all of the intangibles he brings he is still in reality only a support player--a glorified one maybe but Jagr resembles the real deal even if he is declining. I'm for signing both of these guys but it's not likely to leave us a lot of cap space for other free agents.

Ryder I would steer clear of altogether. A healthy scratch in the playoffs--is a warning sign. No reason to take on other teams failures and/or problems. You do so at your own peril.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Not to be overlooked:

Rutuu also a UFA - currently 1.1 mill

Avery a UFA - currently 1.9 mill

Sean has better offensive skills, but the intangibles are similar. Of course it would very spicey to have them both....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Avery gets 5.5m per from SJ we have to let him go.
Duh. How many times do we play San Jose every season? If we have to let him go, then fine. But we can't afford to let him waltz right on over to the Island. I don't want to see Sean Avery 10 times a year, especially because we have no one who would put him in his place. If we had a guy like Orpik or Komisarek (yes, they are stretches at this point in the game), I wouldn't mind as much. But I still think we should do our best to make sure the Isles don't get him.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
jrd303

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
If Jagr comes back he may have a problem with having Rutuu on the team.

Avery has skill but he's also a powderkeg. Put me down for not overpaying for a guy that could explode in spectacular fashion. They've already overpayed Gomez and Drury. They can't keep overpaying guys without it eventually biting back. The young guys are going to need contracts as well at some point and the Rangers are going to need a top line winger soon.

I think Sather is going to wait to see what the market ends up being for Avery and then come in at the end with his best offer and let Sean make the decision. I'll be surprised if it's the highest offer and I don't know if Avery's ego will let him take a discount to play for the Rangers.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
hgo

I don't see it. The Islanders have four third-line centers under contract for next season, why would they bring in another?

And plus, this is just Larry Brooks telling the Islanders what to do. This isn't even a rumor as far as I'm concerned.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:58 AM
jrd303

Quote:
...But we can't afford to let him waltz right on over to the Island. ... But I still think we should do our best to make sure the Isles don't get him.
If the Islanders are dumb enough to pay Avery 5.5 per it's see ya' later time and I'll find him very easy to hate/laugh at. The Islanders seem like the perfect place for him to have a meltdown.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

5.5 for Avery? Thats ridiculous.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Avery's ability to stir the pot and get some of the other guys on this team to play with some passion can't be overlooked.

From what I've seen of Nolan's Islanders they don't need that. They overachieved last year until too many injuries took their toll.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Not to be overlooked:

Avery a UFA - currently 1.9 mill

Sean has better offensive skills, but the intangibles are similar. Of course it would very spicey to have them both....
dont want to troll, but ruttu isnt even close to avery. IMO Ruttu has very little skill and his "intangibles" are overrated. He is a 4th liner at best while avery can be a decent 2nd liner. Avery is miles ahead of ruttu

sattar18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Avery will not go to the isles, he even stated HE IS A RANGER

and satter18, your not trolling because your not making stupid comments

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Avery's ability to stir the pot and get some of the other guys on this team to play with some passion can't be overlooked.

From what I've seen of Nolan's Islanders they don't need that. They overachieved last year until too many injuries took their toll.
The Islanders just shouldn't be paying Avery when they have a second line center already in Comrie and need a first line center (which Comrie isn't).

With a weak free agent class, I can see Avery getting a massive offer should he hit the market. The Islanders shouldn't be the team to give it to him.

He might fit into Nolan's style but he has too much baggage for my taste.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
The Islanders just shouldn't be paying Avery when they have a second line center already in Comrie and need a first line center (which Comrie isn't).

With a weak free agent class, I can see Avery getting a massive offer should he hit the market. The Islanders shouldn't be the team to give it to him.

He might fit into Nolan's style but he has too much baggage for my taste.
i dont think witt will tolerate avery after that spear

Old
05-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Cause this one is a third line left wing.

And Avery could very well enjoy the scenery in L.I. w/ comrie, dipi, and crew. Something tells me this would happen if Sean went to L.I. (sean of course would be on the far left, coms in the middle and "mrs comrie" on the right)

no it wont