HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of Shawn Matthias in 08/09 Season

View Poll Results: Impact of Shawn in 08/09?
Will be in NHL. 60+ Points. 1 3.13%
Will be in NHL. 30-59 Points. 18 56.25%
Will be in NHL. Minimum impact with 29 or less points. 10 31.25%
Will be in the AHL. 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Impact of Shawn Matthias in 08/09 Season

Basically, I want to know some opinion on what kind of impact, if there is an impact, that Shawn will make with Florida next season.

My personal opinion, considering I saw pretty much every game he played this year, he will come into the NHL and put up somewhere around 18 goals and 26 assists. Granted I also think that he will be playing with Olli.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Basically, I want to know some opinion on what kind of impact, if there is an impact, that Shawn will make with Florida next season.

My personal opinion, considering I saw pretty much every game he played this year, he will come into the NHL and put up somewhere around 18 goals and 26 assists. Granted I also think that he will be playing with Olli.
15 goals, 25 assists. Basically the same as you predicted. Depends on what kind of start he gets off to.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I said minimum impact (if not the AHL) .. I think it's completely unrealistic for this kid to be expected to put up 30 points in his initial campaign. He's played a total of 4 NHL games. He looked very good in one of them. He'll be given every opportunity and I think he's a future top 6 forward, but I'm not ready to annoint him as a Calder candidate quite yet..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:59 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I said minimum impact (if not the AHL) .. I think it's completely unrealistic for this kid to be expected to put up 30 points in his initial campaign. He's played a total of 4 NHL games. He looked very good in one of them. He'll be given every opportunity and I think he's a future top 6 forward, but I'm not ready to annoint him as a Calder candidate quite yet..
30 points is nowhere near a Calder Candidate. Kreps put up 25 while playing primarily 3rd or 4th line, as a much less heralded rookie. 30 points is absolutely feasible if he is indeed playing with Jokinen. I'm one to usually sell rookies short of what they actually achieve no matter who they are, but I'd definitely predict 30 points or so for Shawn assuming he stays in the NHL most of the season. We'll see.

Old
05-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
30 points is nowhere near a Calder Candidate. Kreps put up 25 while playing primarily 3rd or 4th line, as a much less heralded rookie. 30 points is absolutely feasible if he is indeed playing with Jokinen. I'm one to usually sell rookies short of what they actually achieve no matter who they are, but I'd definitely predict 30 points or so for Shawn assuming he stays in the NHL most of the season. We'll see.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do ... I just think that we are putting unrealistic expectations on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I'd say he gets just over 10 goals and 20 assists.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:46 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I hope he proves me wrong, I really do ... I just think that we are putting unrealistic expectations on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie..
Some poor lad, anyways, is going to put 70-80 points and win Calder.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

If he stays up most of the season, he can definately bank 40-50 pts. by the end(JM will give him lots of playing time and every opportunity to succeed). The puck seems to find this kid when he is on the ice.

Last edited by Beezer: 05-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Wasn't paying attention when I voted and put 60+....i HOPE but more realistic is probobly 10g 15a.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Acadmus

I think discussions (and polls) such as this should be put off until after July 1st. That was the prospect signing deadline (June 1), the Draft, and the UFA signing deadline will all be past to see who's still on the team.

That will go a long way to determining whether Matthias makes the roster and how well he'll do.

I'm still not convinced Olli's still a Panther come the second day of the draft.

05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
FlaPanthers7

Good article on just this topic, Kyle Woodlief says Matthias is ready for the NHL versus Frolik who isn't:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ef_matthi.html

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
11+10 in 58 games

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Good article on just this topic, Kyle Woodlief says Matthias is ready for the NHL versus Frolik who isn't:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ef_matthi.html
I trust Woodlief's opinion almost as much as anybody in the hockey scouting community. RLR I find usually puts out the most accurate scouting reports and rankings every year. In this case he's right, Frolik isn't quite physically ready for the NHL, but mostly he's not mentally ready. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd love for both Matthias and Frolik to make the team next year out of camp. But it's not going to happen. Matthias is a maybe, Frolik no.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
IanB

Until he proves otherwise, I definitely don't believe Frolik is ready either.

Matthias also isn't a sure thing by any means but he's bigger, stronger, more versatile, and more mature (as a player, I mean).

As for his numbers - way too early to tell.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:11 PM
PanthersRule96

As much as I like Matthias's game and ability, he still looks raw to me, like very lanky or something when on the ice. I think when he fills out in a couple of years, he'll be a monster, but he looks thin and I think he'll have to work on his balance, which was a slight issue when he was up for us. He seemed to get knocked over semi-easily for someone so big, but he'll develop eventually into a stud.