HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of Shawn Matthias in 08/09 Season

View Poll Results: Impact of Shawn in 08/09?
Will be in NHL. 60+ Points. 1 3.13%
Will be in NHL. 30-59 Points. 18 56.25%
Will be in NHL. Minimum impact with 29 or less points. 10 31.25%
Will be in the AHL. 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
  #1
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 50
Impact of Shawn Matthias in 08/09 Season

Basically, I want to know some opinion on what kind of impact, if there is an impact, that Shawn will make with Florida next season.

My personal opinion, considering I saw pretty much every game he played this year, he will come into the NHL and put up somewhere around 18 goals and 26 assists. Granted I also think that he will be playing with Olli.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
  #2
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Basically, I want to know some opinion on what kind of impact, if there is an impact, that Shawn will make with Florida next season.

My personal opinion, considering I saw pretty much every game he played this year, he will come into the NHL and put up somewhere around 18 goals and 26 assists. Granted I also think that he will be playing with Olli.
15 goals, 25 assists. Basically the same as you predicted. Depends on what kind of start he gets off to.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
  #3
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
I said minimum impact (if not the AHL) .. I think it's completely unrealistic for this kid to be expected to put up 30 points in his initial campaign. He's played a total of 4 NHL games. He looked very good in one of them. He'll be given every opportunity and I think he's a future top 6 forward, but I'm not ready to annoint him as a Calder candidate quite yet..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:59 PM
  #4
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I said minimum impact (if not the AHL) .. I think it's completely unrealistic for this kid to be expected to put up 30 points in his initial campaign. He's played a total of 4 NHL games. He looked very good in one of them. He'll be given every opportunity and I think he's a future top 6 forward, but I'm not ready to annoint him as a Calder candidate quite yet..
30 points is nowhere near a Calder Candidate. Kreps put up 25 while playing primarily 3rd or 4th line, as a much less heralded rookie. 30 points is absolutely feasible if he is indeed playing with Jokinen. I'm one to usually sell rookies short of what they actually achieve no matter who they are, but I'd definitely predict 30 points or so for Shawn assuming he stays in the NHL most of the season. We'll see.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:37 PM
  #5
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
30 points is nowhere near a Calder Candidate. Kreps put up 25 while playing primarily 3rd or 4th line, as a much less heralded rookie. 30 points is absolutely feasible if he is indeed playing with Jokinen. I'm one to usually sell rookies short of what they actually achieve no matter who they are, but I'd definitely predict 30 points or so for Shawn assuming he stays in the NHL most of the season. We'll see.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do ... I just think that we are putting unrealistic expectations on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:37 AM
  #6
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
I'd say he gets just over 10 goals and 20 assists.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:46 AM
  #7
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I hope he proves me wrong, I really do ... I just think that we are putting unrealistic expectations on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie..
Some poor lad, anyways, is going to put 70-80 points and win Calder.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:53 AM
  #8
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 500
If he stays up most of the season, he can definately bank 40-50 pts. by the end(JM will give him lots of playing time and every opportunity to succeed). The puck seems to find this kid when he is on the ice.


Last edited by Beezer: 05-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
  #9
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Wasn't paying attention when I voted and put 60+....i HOPE but more realistic is probobly 10g 15a.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
  #10
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
I think discussions (and polls) such as this should be put off until after July 1st. That was the prospect signing deadline (June 1), the Draft, and the UFA signing deadline will all be past to see who's still on the team.

That will go a long way to determining whether Matthias makes the roster and how well he'll do.

I'm still not convinced Olli's still a Panther come the second day of the draft.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
  #11
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Good article on just this topic, Kyle Woodlief says Matthias is ready for the NHL versus Frolik who isn't:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ef_matthi.html

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:39 AM
  #12
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,986
vCash: 813
11+10 in 58 games

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
  #13
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Good article on just this topic, Kyle Woodlief says Matthias is ready for the NHL versus Frolik who isn't:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ef_matthi.html
I trust Woodlief's opinion almost as much as anybody in the hockey scouting community. RLR I find usually puts out the most accurate scouting reports and rankings every year. In this case he's right, Frolik isn't quite physically ready for the NHL, but mostly he's not mentally ready. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd love for both Matthias and Frolik to make the team next year out of camp. But it's not going to happen. Matthias is a maybe, Frolik no.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
  #14
IanB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Until he proves otherwise, I definitely don't believe Frolik is ready either.

Matthias also isn't a sure thing by any means but he's bigger, stronger, more versatile, and more mature (as a player, I mean).

As for his numbers - way too early to tell.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:11 PM
  #15
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
As much as I like Matthias's game and ability, he still looks raw to me, like very lanky or something when on the ice. I think when he fills out in a couple of years, he'll be a monster, but he looks thin and I think he'll have to work on his balance, which was a slight issue when he was up for us. He seemed to get knocked over semi-easily for someone so big, but he'll develop eventually into a stud.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.