HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Orpik vs. Commodore: who would you pay more?

Old
05-27-2008, 04:16 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Orpik vs. Commodore: who would you pay more?

We're talking about this on the Sabres board. Both are physical defenseman that are still relatively young and UFA's to be.

Commodore and Orpik are both 228 lbs., while Orpik is 6'2 and Commodore is 6'4. Commodore is 29, Orpik 28, and both can play gritty, mean, and physical. I'd call Commodore the more well-rounded of the two, but Orpik is a bit more intimidating physically IMO.

So your team needs physicality in the form of a guy who can play in the top-4. Which of the two would you pay more for their services? How much do you think they'll each receive? Who do you think is the better player for such a role?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Orpik. He's much more mobile and faster than Commodore.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
comrade

Commodore. He's a much better passer and he fights.

comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

all things being equal, I'd probably rather have Orpik. IMO his best hockey is yet to come... whereas Commodore I think has hit his ceiling where he'll likely play at for the next few years.

But in Buffalo's situation, I think that Commodore would be a better fit.

The sabres have a couple of young dmen coming up in Sekera and Weber... I think Commodore would provide a good veteran presence in that type of situation, being a more experienced player... and his right handed shot is also a bonus on a defense that doesn't have any otherwise.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Coming off this season, Orpik and by a large margin...Orpik can skate with one leg better than Commodore can with two...in these playoffs, Orpik has actually been [gasp] carrying the puck through the neutral zone and making decent passes...and he's not going way out of his way to make big hits anymore (as much)...Orpik has really started to finally "get it" the second half of this season...Commodore, meanwhile, was busy getting danced in this year's playoffs...

I think Commodore is headed down hill, while Orpik is progressing to the level we thought he was going to about 2 or 3 years ago...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I honestly have never been impressed by Orpik. I've heard 4+ million for him...no thanks.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
semin4captain

Commodore was total garbage when paired with anyone but Bret Hedican. If you want him on your team, prepare to pair him with a speedy puck-moving defenseman or he'll be a total liability. Commodore put up a bunch of fluky points two years ago and now thinks he's an offensive defenseman, so he constantly makes absolutely idiotic pinches that he almost never capitalizes on and that his (lack of) speed can't recover from.

He was probably the Hurricanes 5th best defenseman this season, which says a lot considering our defense sucks. He got outplayed by Gleason, Hedican, Seidenberg and arguably Kaberle.

Last edited by semin4captain: 05-27-2008 at 05:42 PM.
semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
The Fuhr*

Commodore looked good in Ottawa after he settled down. He was our most physical player in the playoffs and only really made one mostake going for a hit and coming out of position.

I loved that he just roamed the ice looking to cause physical play, I remember this one time on the PK he was behind the net smashing someone and when he was done there he looked towards the front of the net to see if he could cause havoc there but everyone left as if they did not want a piece of him.

In the right situation Commodore can be a fantastic player. Someone you can build your PK around.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Leroux 66

orpik by a large margin because he unlike commodore is very mobile, commodore is comparable in speed to hal gill and georges laraque. Commodore is vastly overrated.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I just get scared that Orpik is playing top notch because it's a contract year. I know it can be argued that Commodore may have been doing the same, but I think we've seen Commodore play better for a longer time period compared to Orpik. More of a "you know what you're going to get"...

.. either way, I want one or both on the Sabres

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

I'd be close, but I'd pick Orpik.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
clumping platelets

Bring the hometown boy home

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:21 AM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
I think Commy is a better player right now and his tiny offensive output is a hell of a lot more than Orpiks nonexistent. I think Orpik is just now putting it together and probably has more upside. Its very tough, but I like the bit of a gamble for Orpik.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:28 AM
66-29-33

Pens better keep orpik, he's finally turning into what he is supposed to be. To only have him to develope into what he was supposed to be would suck balls. It will feel like the Rozsival situation for me kinda. Always injured here, then goes to a new place and is good there, we get stuck with Meliturd thankfully not anymore. If we lose Orpik we BETTER get a similar player in a trade.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:37 AM
KenAF

Orpik without a doubt. He can keep up with many faster, first-line forwards. Commodore cannot do that consistently and relies on his partner.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:36 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
I think Orpik would probably be a better fit for Buffalo. But I think both will stumbled upon 3.5 or more.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:53 AM
The Thomas J.*

I like both players, but If given the choice I take Orpik, he is better on his skates than commodore.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
all things being equal, I'd probably rather have Orpik. IMO his best hockey is yet to come... whereas Commodore I think has hit his ceiling where he'll likely play at for the next few years.

But in Buffalo's situation, I think that Commodore would be a better fit.

The sabres have a couple of young dmen coming up in Sekera and Weber... I think Commodore would provide a good veteran presence in that type of situation, being a more experienced player... and his right handed shot is also a bonus on a defense that doesn't have any otherwise.
You hit the nail on the head. But yeah Orpik is definetly faster too.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
I've heard 4+ million for him...no thanks.
You heard wrong.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Commodore

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
JTG

You can't appreciate Brooks Orpik unless you see him for an entire season. The guy will do absolutely anything he has to to win. And 4 million is his ceiling as far as salary in concerned. Reason being is potential. He has the potential to be a shutdown defenseman. I see him signing in the neighborhood of 3-3.5

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernerPSU View Post
I think Commy is a better player right now and his tiny offensive output is a hell of a lot more than Orpiks nonexistent. I think Orpik is just now putting it together and probably has more upside. Its very tough, but I like the bit of a gamble for Orpik.
From the Sabres board POV, I don't think the offense is really that important. The general consensus is to get a more physical defense by adding a stay-at-home type.

One other difference is that Orpik shoots left, Commodore shoots right, so that make Commodore more appealing. But I think that Orpik will be the better player in a few years.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Kaktus*

which one won SC? Enough said.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:55 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
I think Orpik would probably be a better fit for Buffalo. But I think both will stumbled upon 3.5 or more.
Sweet Jesus!

But... I do agree. One or both of these #4-5 D-men will be grossly overpaid and that's why my answer to this question is that I hope my team stays the **** away from both!

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
jb**

I donít think either of them are top 4 dmen. Orpik I belive will get paid more though. Surprisingly like a long line of other players he has stepped up his play in a contract year. Not impressed with commodore really.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote