HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official CBJ Free Agency Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2008, 02:36 PM
EDM

vCash: 500
There is no disgrace playing third line in the NHL. In fact playoff teams can actually have quality players, not just grinders, on the third line. the tradition of the third line as a bunch of unskilled grinders is another Maclean tradition I would like to see us learn to forget. Voracek would not be wasting his time playing third line here.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
I'd rather have Brassard in the AHL than the 3rd or 4h line, and I'd rather Voracek in Halifax, than on the 3rd line/4h line. Call me crazy, but in order to give your kids room to develop, you need to give them ice time...And sure they'll make misakes, but that's part of gaining experience.
no offense, but i couldnt disagree more.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
There is no disgrace playing third line in the NHL. In fact playoff teams can actually have quality players, not just grinders, on the third line. Voracek would not be wasting his time playing third line here.
Agreed.

For an example that is close to home see Rick Nash. He played with Tyler Wright and others on the 3rd line his rookie year.

This 'rot on the 3rd/4th line' junk is crap. It can happen, but it isn't the rule.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:49 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Agreed.

For an example that is close to home see Rick Nash. He played with Tyler Wright and others on the 3rd line his rookie year.

This 'rot on the 3rd/4th line' junk is crap. It can happen, but it isn't the rule.
where were all these guys that we want. Carter, Vermette, Umberger, Malone, etc. they all either started or still are 3rd line guys.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Agreed.

Granted a player should earn upper line ice time, but for a talented prospect to get minimal ice time by playing on the 3rd or 4th line, isn't exactly the best way to develop that player. Granted they will get NHL experience, but it doesn't exactly help them developmentally(unless they had PP time to overcompensate). Now i wouldn't be object if we had a regular line rotation like some teams do, but when you play on the 3rd or 4th line, it just flat out takes longer to develop...

Old
06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Voracek would play 15 minutes a night here on the third line along with second PP unit, that's great.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
when you play on the 3rd or 4th line, it just flat out takes longer to develop...
There's just flat out too many examples of the opposite, as RD just mentioned, to say this is the norm or the rule.

And you are touching on an important variable -the usage/rotation of the lines. It all depends on the player, the team, and well- everything.

I had no problem with Nash on the 3rd line, or his development. I currently feel the same of Voracek and his proposed placement.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Granted a player should earn upper line ice time, but for a talented prospect to get minimal ice time by playing on the 3rd or 4th line, isn't exactly the best way to develop that player. Granted they will get NHL experience, but it doesn't exactly help them developmentally(unless they had PP time to overcompensate). Now i wouldn't be object if we had a regular line rotation like some teams do, but when you play on the 3rd or 4th line, it just flat out takes longer to develop...
Give a youngster like Brassard or Voracek a chance to play on a line with older, more experienced players with at least some talent, and I don't see the problem with that. Put them on a line with guys like Jody Shelley and Sean Pronger, then I have a problem with that.

I wouldn't be opposed at all with playing guys like Brassard and Voracek with guys like Chimera, Malhotra, and Fritsche.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
3rd line players can easily get 13+ minutes a night. Hardly minimal ice time.

Glad to see some people are figuring out that learning the NHL game on the 3rd line isn't a death sentence and many good players have started there. It helps your team win games while your developing.

Personally I am of the mindset that 11+ minutes of NHL time is > 20 minutes of AHL time. You learn the most playing against the best, not dominating inferior opponents.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

It's well understood it's unfair to put too much pressure on a young and talented player, and I'm not against a Chimera-Brassard-Voracek line, for I feel it'd be a very capable third line, Brassard and Voracek can build some chimestry, but to be frank, placing a young prospect with players who have stone hands, who's only purpose is to be an energy line, may not have the result that a fan may hope for...Now I agree Voracek and Brassard could be bored in their respective leagues, but rewarding them doesn't necessarily mean giving them minimum minutes on an energy line. 12+ minutes is fine, 10- minutes is not.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Nash played with Tyler Wright, Mike Sillinger and Grant Marshall, not a velvet set of hands in the group and he turned out OK. At least Brassard and Voracek would have each other on that line.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
At least Brassard and Voracek would have each other on that line.
*love song Brassard/Voracek montage*

Old
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Nash played with Tyler Wright, Mike Sillinger and Grant Marshall, not a velvet set of hands in the group and he turned out OK. At least Brassard and Voracek would have each other on that line.
my hypothetical was if it was just Brassard or just Voracek. Etc.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Quote:
*love song Brassard/Voracek montage*
If this world runs out of muckers, they'll still have each other. Nothing's gonna stop them now.

Old
06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

So anyone know why jakub dyed his hair black?

Old
06-20-2008, 03:41 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Cause he thought it would be cool, of course.

Old
06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Macster

Quote:
All of the Mooseheads did it for their playoff run.

Closed Thread