HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Various Chris Mason proposals

Old
05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Various Chris Mason proposals

Nashville needs to sign Ellis. Nashville wants Rinne as his backup (he's on a one-way contract next year). Chris Mason is out, but Nashville needs to move him ASAP to ensure to Ellis that he's their man.

This could prove to be difficult, but here are some proposals.

To NSH: nothing
to ANYONE: Chris Mason, 3rd round pick

To NSH: Micahel Handzus
To LA: Chris Mason
(not sold on this one yet, as a Nashville fan)

TO NSH: nothing
To ANYONE: Chris Mason, at a cap hit of $1.5m
(re-entry waviers)

Any takers? Just last year, Chris Mason was 2nd in the league, with a .925 sv%

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

well its pretty obvious now that Chris Mason has about as much value that Chris Neil does

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
well its pretty obvious now that Chris Mason has about as much value that Chris Neil does
Mason for Neil?

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Personally, I'd rather keep Handzus.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Was Mason that bad? Does he really have negative value?

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yes, he's a career minor leaguer who got hot and got lucky to be on team in a weaker division.

Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 05-27-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
He struggled, and never really was given a great chance to redeem himself. Mainly because Dan Ellis stepped in a played pretty good (GREAT down the stretch and in the playoffs).

Nashville's hand is forced now. Ellis doesn't want to sign unless he's the man. Rinne has a one-way contract next year, and the Preds don't want to give him up.

If Ellis wasn't in the picture, Mason would be given chance of redemption. But, Ellis is in the picture...

I can't seem someone taking him on for 3 million. But, 1.5m... at the least, you have a decent backup, with a chance of redeeming himself as a starter.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-27-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old
05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
He might _have been_ that bad, but I don't know that he _will be_ that bad next year. Or that he was the year before either. Maybe he got too comfy with the extension. But presumably he has now been reminded how hard he needs to keep working.

What could give him "negative value" isn't so much his intrinsic ability (which is a bit undetermined at the moment), but rather the pricetag attached. $3M isn't attractive for a "TBD".

That said, is anybody thinking deja vu all over again if they hand out a big contract to Ellis? I still can't find myself understanding what the fuss about Ellis is. His hot streak wasn't even as pronounced as Mason's, was it? Maybe I'm poisoned by seeing Ellis look so mediocre in Hamilton. But if Mason is a career minor league goalie who got lucky, or a "TBD", why isn't Ellis also?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
No thanks, we already have at least 1 back-up goalie making over $3+ million dollars... no need to add more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yes, he's a career minor leaguer who got hot and got lucky to be on team in a weaker division.
Exactly.

Quote:
No, he wasn't that bad... but the problem was that he was never that good.

06-07 = half his minutes played vs. St.Louis (1: 431 mins), Chicago (2: 365), Columbus (3 - 185) and L.A. (4 - 178)

05-06 = 60% of his minutes played against St.Louis, Chicago and Columbus.

Chris Mason is a cripple kicker.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He might _have been_ that bad, but I don't know that he _will be_ that bad next year. Or that he was the year before either. Maybe he got too comfy with the extension. But presumably he has now been reminded how hard he needs to keep working.

What could give him "negative value" isn't so much his intrinsic ability (which is a bit undetermined at the moment), but rather the pricetag attached. $3M isn't attractive for a "TBD".

That said, is anybody thinking deja vu all over again if they hand out a big contract to Ellis? I still can't find myself understanding what the fuss about Ellis is. His hot streak wasn't even as pronounced as Mason's, was it? Maybe I'm poisoned by seeing Ellis look so mediocre in Hamilton. But if Mason is a career minor league goalie who got lucky, or a "TBD", why isn't Ellis also?
Good question. Seems that Ellis could be in Mason's shoes next off-season.

05-28-2008, 09:12 AM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
I thought I heard that Ellis was certainly going to hi the FA market?

Mason - I wouldn't think he has negative trade value, but that's just me.

He's signed until 09/10, correct?

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Do you always throw out the weaker division claim every time Nashville is mentioned? Are you still bitter that Nashville made the playoffs over Edmonton?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:27 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't think Mason is as bad as some here do...including fellow Preds fans. I think he got off to a rough start last season, and the pressure of being a number 1 for the first time combined with the play of Ellis all season long got to him. I think he's capable of rebounding and I do think he has the raw ability to be a starter. We DID see flashes of brilliance from him..he just never could find consistency.

That said, I don't think the Preds have the luxury of time when it comes to waiting for him to figure it out. They've got a guy in Ellis who, despite what some are saying here, looked better than Mason has in his entire career and did it throughout the season, rather than just an end of the season push(as was the case for Mason during Vokoun's injuries). In addition, they've got a hugely promising young goaltender in Pekka Rinne that in a year's time could be ready to take over the starting job, anyway.

I'd like to see Mason bought out, but I'm not sure how feasible that is. My hope is that someone desperate for a goaltender takes a chance and gives us a low pick.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
dulzhok

True, the Ellis situation is similar to Mason last year. Except in most peoples eyes, Ellis played at a level Mason never got to.

But really, the Predators have to take a chance on Ellis being a fluke. Ellis pretty much got the into the playoffs, and he gave them a chance in the playoffs.

What's the next best option? Give the reigns back to Mason, or give the reigns to a guy with 1 and 1/2 games of NHL expirence? I think the opportunity outweighs the risk.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
Ellis, however, would become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Nashville would not be able to keep him by matching another offer at that point.

"The sooner we could get him signed, the better,'' Poile said. "If we don't have Dan Ellis signed by July 1, I would think he's going elsewhere.''

Ellis' agent, Mike Liut, had previously expressed some concerns that if Nashville signs Ellis the Predators will have three goalies under NHL contract for next season.

"He's going to have to make a decision,'' Poile said of Ellis. "We have two goaltenders under contract in Chris Mason and Pekka Rinne, and we'd like to sign (Ellis). I believe he'd like to sign with us, but we haven't gotten to that point or situation yet."

Old
05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Mason had one good year and they signed him to be the #1 after Vokoun was traded. Now they have Ellis who practically had the same #'s and hotstreak in which he thrust himself into the spotlight. Signing him to the kinda money he wants is a very risky move. IMO it could backfire for their cap numbers, but I'm fairly sure Rinne can/will be able to take the reigns in case Ellis falters.

05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
voxel

Mason was horrible at the start of the year and was the main reason the Predators were near the bottom of the west until Ellis took over.

As for trade value? Just buy him out, waive him or bury him in the minors. His trade value is probably 6th rounder at best.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
thedoctor
                    

I'll take a stab at it:

From Colorado: C/LW Tyler Arnason (1 year @ 1.8m cap hit)
From Nashville: G Chris Mason (2 years @ 3m cap hit)

Nashville gets: an underperforming player that doesn't fit in Colorado's future plans, with TJ Hensick ready to make the jump into Arnason's current role as a 3rd line center. He can play LW also, where he might be a nice replacement for the potentially departing nashville LWs (Gelinas, Hordichuk). They also get a 1.2m cap savings this year, and 3 million the next year.

Colorado gets: rid of Tyler Arnason, clearing the way for Hensick. It also allows them to get a pretty decent goalie at a reasonable price tag, thus allowing them to let Theodore go without overpaying him. Budaj and Mason can fight it out in camp.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Mason and a 2nd to the Canucks for their 3rd.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I'll take a stab at it:

From Colorado: C/LW Tyler Arnason (1 year @ 1.8m cap hit)
From Nashville: G Chris Mason (2 years @ 3m cap hit)

Nashville gets: an underperforming player that doesn't fit in Colorado's future plans, with TJ Hensick ready to make the jump into Arnason's current role as a 3rd line center. He can play LW also, where he might be a nice replacement for the potentially departing nashville LWs (Gelinas, Hordichuk). They also get a 1.2m cap savings this year, and 3 million the next year.

Colorado gets: rid of Tyler Arnason, clearing the way for Hensick. It also allows them to get a pretty decent goalie at a reasonable price tag, thus allowing them to let Theodore go without overpaying him. Budaj and Mason can fight it out in camp.

That's the sort of deal I think we'll have to take. Arnason has little value to us, but his lower salary and one less year on his contract make it doable.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That's the sort of deal I think we'll have to take. Arnason has little value to us, but his lower salary and one less year on his contract make it doable.
agreed ... if I'm Poile I do that trade & then resign Ellis, Suter, Weber & Radulov asafp

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
It also allows them to get a pretty decent goalie at a reasonable price tag, thus allowing them to let Theodore go without overpaying him. Budaj and Mason can fight it out in camp.
Probably the best solution so far, methinks.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote