HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arbitrator: Rangers must pay Holik, Ortmeyer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
  #1
McDonagh27
Registered User
 
McDonagh27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Arbitrator: Rangers must pay Holik, Ortmeyer

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239085&l...headlines_main

Sources tell TSN that the New York Rangers will have to pay former Ranger and current Atlanta Thrashers forward Bobby Holik $3.5 million over a contract dispute in 2004-2005.

Discuss.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
  #2
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
it happens...at least the rangers hopefully got a few more years of interest out of the money

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
  #3
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
  #4
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.
Thank God

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
  #5
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.
The article should really include that tidbit.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
  #6
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.
thats all that matters

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
  #7
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,492
vCash: 500
no cap hit = whats to discuss

good for Orts and Holik

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
  #8
McDonagh27
Registered User
 
McDonagh27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
no cap hit = whats to discuss

good for Orts and Holik
To quote Seth Rogen in the 40 year old virgin:

"Well I did not know that, so I'm Sorry"

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
  #9
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Good Holik deserves his money. Its not affecting the cap, so its all good.

I was always a fan and liked Holik. To bad he wasnt used properly!


Last edited by Jay88*: 05-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
  #10
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Oh no! Now Dolan only has 3583243348638469943 dollars! How is he possibly going to be able to feed his family! Poor guy

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
  #11
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
holik is the ugliest player in the NHL...let the greedy piece of garbage take his money enjoy it and have fun on atlanta

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
  #12
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'd take Holik back on the Rangers in a heartbeat.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
  #13
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,504
vCash: 500
I can understand how someone could say good for Orts...but good for Holik? Are you kidding me????

I've never seen a more pseudo-harmonious attitude towards the enemy...than on this site.

I say Holik can rot with it.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
  #14
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd take Holik back on the Rangers in a heartbeat.
Agreed. Big physical presence who finished 4th in the league in FO % and would probably come back at a reasonable price.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
  #15
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd take Holik back on the Rangers in a heartbeat.
Same here.

He loved the organization, as well. I don't think he'd have any trouble re-signing with us.

And I sincerely hope that he does. I'd love to have the big man back in blue.

It's certainly very annoying to have to play against him. That's for sure.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
  #16
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,550
vCash: 500
Holik was the biggest waste of money for the Rangers.He came in talking a good game and then reported to his first Rangers camp looking like the Michelin Man.The Devils missed Holik so much that they won the Cup w/o him the very next season.Larry Brooks is a happy camper now that the Rangers lost the arb case

Quote:
May 22, 2007 -- The NHL legal department informed the Rangers yesterday that any payments they might owe Bobby Holik under his signing-bonus grievance will not be applied against their 2007-08 cap, The Post has learned.

The league has ruled that the disputed 2006 signing bonus of $2 million - $1.52M after the 24 percent rollback - would have been part of the Rangers' July 29, 2005 Compliance Buyout of Holik and thus would not have originally counted against the cap.

Though Article 50 of the CBA provides for cap charges against a team in the event of owed, future payments to a player, and though a source familiar with the case had told The Post that the BlueshirtsNew York Rangers would face a penalty if found liable in the grievance hearing scheduled for June 26, the league informed the Rangers the clause would not be interpreted to cover disputed Compliance Buyouts made in the one-time amnesty period in the labor agreement


http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222007...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Holik was the biggest waste of money for the Rangers.He came in talking a good game and then reported to his first Rangers camp looking like the Michelin Man.The Devils missed Holik so much that they won the Cup w/o him the very next season.Larry Brooks is a happy camper now that the Rangers lost the arb case



http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222007...rry_brooks.htm
They also missed him so much they considered bringing him back after the Rangers bought his contract out.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
  #18
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
The only thing that's surprising about this ruling is that it took so long to be finalized (the hearing was held back in June 2007 according to Brooks).

And as for signing Bobby Holik...Let's do it! Let's sign another aging veteran who plays a position we already have taken care of. Who needs left wings or puck moving defensemen (or stay at home defensemen to clear the crease) when we can get another checking center who will take minutes away from a promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season and potentially block several more promising prospects waiting in the wings. Stanley Cup finals here we come.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
  #19
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They also missed him so much they considered bringing him back after the Rangers bought his contract out.
And we all know what the definition of insanity is....

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
  #20
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The only thing that's surprising about this ruling is that it took so long to be finalized (the hearing was held back in June 2007 according to Brooks).

And as for signing Bobby Holik...Let's do it! Let's sign another aging veteran who plays a position we already have taken care of. Who needs left wings or puck moving defensemen (or stay at home defensemen to clear the crease) when we can get another checking center who will take minutes away from a promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season and potentially block several more promising prospects waiting in the wings. Stanley Cup finals here we come.
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team — Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Moving Drury to the wing makes sure that Holik does not take minutes away from the "promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season".

It's an option rather than going out and overpaying for an under whelming crop of UFA wings. Mock it if you like, but I think there is at least a modicum method to my madness.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
  #21
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Moving Drury to the wing makes sure that Holik does not take minutes away from the "promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season".

It's an option rather than going out and overpaying for an under whelming crop of UFA wings. Mock it if you like, but I think there is at least a modicum method to my madness.
Maybe we can lure Scott Stevens out of retirement, also...and maybe Al Arbour can coach. horrible

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
  #22
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Maybe we can lure Scott Stevens out of retirement, also...and maybe Al Arbour can coach.
Completely akin to my though process. Thanks.

Where would you rate Chris Drury if he was in this summers UFA crop of forwards?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
  #23
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Completely akin to my though process. Thanks.

Where would you rate Chris Drury if he was in this summers UFA crop of forwards?
Among the best.

I see where you're getting at. I don't know if I want Holik really, however. Drury finished 18th in the NL in faceoff percentage, and while that's not exactly 4th like Holik was, that's certainly very good. That's top 15% in the NHL. He did have 15 goals and 19 assists, which is solid, however didn't he play a good amount of time with Hossalchuk? Then there's the 90 PIM he had. I'm not sure if I want to go that route Singn'. I'm not sure I want to go the Drury to wing route, however if we were, I think I'd rather Langkow or Vinny Prospal. Although I wouldn't be pissed off if Holik got the job, I don't see it as ideal.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
  #24
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Same here.

He loved the organization, as well. I don't think he'd have any trouble re-signing with us.

And I sincerely hope that he does. I'd love to have the big man back in blue.

It's certainly very annoying to have to play against him. That's for sure.
My brother in Atlanta says he's the biggest waste of a player on their roster. Supposedly the team captain, he takes BAD penalties and at BAD times like you know when you're down 1 goal and there is 1 minute left in the game. Or when you are holding onto a 1 goal lead or it's a tie game and then BAM! Holik strikes. Apparently he has also missed his share of gimmes and easy goals. Fans are tired and fed up with him. Granted he's playing on Atlanta and could pull himself together on a better team but that boat has sailed and gone. Had we only used Holik as a 3rd liner back then... BIG pass for me.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
  #25
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Moving Drury to the wing makes sure that Holik does not take minutes away from the "promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season".

It's an option rather than going out and overpaying for an under whelming crop of UFA wings. Mock it if you like, but I think there is at least a modicum method to my madness.
Drury hasn't played wing since his rookie season with Colorado and said that he really didn't feel comfortable there the time it was tried when he was slumping. I see no reason to play yet another player out of position--and one who is one of the better two way centers in the league--to bring back someone who *****ed and moaned through his first tenure here and couldn't even come to training camp in decent shape.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.