HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arbitrator: Rangers must pay Holik, Ortmeyer

Old
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
McDonagh27

vCash: 500
Arbitrator: Rangers must pay Holik, Ortmeyer

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239085&l...headlines_main

Sources tell TSN that the New York Rangers will have to pay former Ranger and current Atlanta Thrashers forward Bobby Holik $3.5 million over a contract dispute in 2004-2005.

Discuss.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
NYR Viper

it happens...at least the rangers hopefully got a few more years of interest out of the money

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
The NHL has already ruled this will not count against the salary cap, so it's just cash money.
Thank God

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The article should really include that tidbit.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
thats all that matters

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

no cap hit = whats to discuss

good for Orts and Holik

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
no cap hit = whats to discuss

good for Orts and Holik
To quote Seth Rogen in the 40 year old virgin:

"Well I did not know that, so I'm Sorry"

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Jay88*

Good Holik deserves his money. Its not affecting the cap, so its all good.

I was always a fan and liked Holik. To bad he wasnt used properly!

Last edited by Jay88*: 05-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
hlundqvist30*

Oh no! Now Dolan only has 3583243348638469943 dollars! How is he possibly going to be able to feed his family! Poor guy

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
holik is the ugliest player in the NHL...let the greedy piece of garbage take his money enjoy it and have fun on atlanta

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd take Holik back on the Rangers in a heartbeat.

05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I can understand how someone could say good for Orts...but good for Holik? Are you kidding me????

I've never seen a more pseudo-harmonious attitude towards the enemy...than on this site.

I say Holik can rot with it.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agreed. Big physical presence who finished 4th in the league in FO % and would probably come back at a reasonable price.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Same here.

He loved the organization, as well. I don't think he'd have any trouble re-signing with us.

And I sincerely hope that he does. I'd love to have the big man back in blue.

It's certainly very annoying to have to play against him. That's for sure.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Holik was the biggest waste of money for the Rangers.He came in talking a good game and then reported to his first Rangers camp looking like the Michelin Man.The Devils missed Holik so much that they won the Cup w/o him the very next season.Larry Brooks is a happy camper now that the Rangers lost the arb case

Quote:
May 22, 2007 -- The NHL legal department informed the Rangers yesterday that any payments they might owe Bobby Holik under his signing-bonus grievance will not be applied against their 2007-08 cap, The Post has learned.

The league has ruled that the disputed 2006 signing bonus of $2 million - $1.52M after the 24 percent rollback - would have been part of the Rangers' July 29, 2005 Compliance Buyout of Holik and thus would not have originally counted against the cap.

Though Article 50 of the CBA provides for cap charges against a team in the event of owed, future payments to a player, and though a source familiar with the case had told The Post that the BlueshirtsNew York Rangers would face a penalty if found liable in the grievance hearing scheduled for June 26, the league informed the Rangers the clause would not be interpreted to cover disputed Compliance Buyouts made in the one-time amnesty period in the labor agreement

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222007...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Holik was the biggest waste of money for the Rangers.He came in talking a good game and then reported to his first Rangers camp looking like the Michelin Man.The Devils missed Holik so much that they won the Cup w/o him the very next season.Larry Brooks is a happy camper now that the Rangers lost the arb case

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222007...rry_brooks.htm
They also missed him so much they considered bringing him back after the Rangers bought his contract out.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The only thing that's surprising about this ruling is that it took so long to be finalized (the hearing was held back in June 2007 according to Brooks).

And as for signing Bobby Holik...Let's do it! Let's sign another aging veteran who plays a position we already have taken care of. Who needs left wings or puck moving defensemen (or stay at home defensemen to clear the crease) when we can get another checking center who will take minutes away from a promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season and potentially block several more promising prospects waiting in the wings. Stanley Cup finals here we come.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
They also missed him so much they considered bringing him back after the Rangers bought his contract out.
And we all know what the definition of insanity is....

Old
05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The only thing that's surprising about this ruling is that it took so long to be finalized (the hearing was held back in June 2007 according to Brooks).

And as for signing Bobby Holik...Let's do it! Let's sign another aging veteran who plays a position we already have taken care of. Who needs left wings or puck moving defensemen (or stay at home defensemen to clear the crease) when we can get another checking center who will take minutes away from a promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season and potentially block several more promising prospects waiting in the wings. Stanley Cup finals here we come.
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team — Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Moving Drury to the wing makes sure that Holik does not take minutes away from the "promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season".

It's an option rather than going out and overpaying for an under whelming crop of UFA wings. Mock it if you like, but I think there is at least a modicum method to my madness.

Old
05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Moving Drury to the wing makes sure that Holik does not take minutes away from the "promising homegrown prospect coming off an excellent rookie season".

It's an option rather than going out and overpaying for an under whelming crop of UFA wings. Mock it if you like, but I think there is at least a modicum method to my madness.
Maybe we can lure Scott Stevens out of retirement, also...and maybe Al Arbour can coach. horrible

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Maybe we can lure Scott Stevens out of retirement, also...and maybe Al Arbour can coach.
Completely akin to my though process. Thanks.

Where would you rate Chris Drury if he was in this summers UFA crop of forwards?

Old
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Completely akin to my though process. Thanks.

Where would you rate Chris Drury if he was in this summers UFA crop of forwards?
Among the best.

I see where you're getting at. I don't know if I want Holik really, however. Drury finished 18th in the NL in faceoff percentage, and while that's not exactly 4th like Holik was, that's certainly very good. That's top 15% in the NHL. He did have 15 goals and 19 assists, which is solid, however didn't he play a good amount of time with Hossalchuk? Then there's the 90 PIM he had. I'm not sure if I want to go that route Singn'. I'm not sure I want to go the Drury to wing route, however if we were, I think I'd rather Langkow or Vinny Prospal. Although I wouldn't be pissed off if Holik got the job, I don't see it as ideal.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Same here.

He loved the organization, as well. I don't think he'd have any trouble re-signing with us.

And I sincerely hope that he does. I'd love to have the big man back in blue.

It's certainly very annoying to have to play against him. That's for sure.
My brother in Atlanta says he's the biggest waste of a player on their roster. Supposedly the team captain, he takes BAD penalties and at BAD times like you know when you're down 1 goal and there is 1 minute left in the game. Or when you are holding onto a 1 goal lead or it's a tie game and then BAM! Holik strikes. Apparently he has also missed his share of gimmes and easy goals. Fans are tired and fed up with him. Granted he's playing on Atlanta and could pull himself together on a better team but that boat has sailed and gone. Had we only used Holik as a 3rd liner back then... BIG pass for me.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
My thinking is the best option to fill the left wing vacancy is already on this team Chris Drury. Holik replaces Drury's faceoff skills, adds much needed grit up front and is a center that can match up against top centers in the East such as Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter and Backstrom. You know, the way he should have been used in the first place.

Drury hasn't played wing since his rookie season with Colorado and said that he really didn't feel comfortable there the time it was tried when he was slumping. I see no reason to play yet another player out of position--and one who is one of the better two way centers in the league--to bring back someone who *****ed and moaned through his first tenure here and couldn't even come to training camp in decent shape.