HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Reach Agreement with Frolik

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Panthers Reach Agreement with Frolik

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,2352768.story

Old
05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Crossbar

Sweet!

Old
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Panthers_Fan

Finally!!!

Old
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Sweet.

Old
05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Oh, thank God. I was really getting worried there for the last few days, hard deadline or not.

Old
05-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
It's on the Panthers website to so it's basically confirmed from the big fish.

Last edited by Cats Gambler: 05-28-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old
05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Georgia Panther

The sad part of this is GR thinks the Cats are going to buy out a couple of guys so Frolik and Matthias have a real shot to make the roster in training camp. So, apparently, so much for letting our top prospects develop in the minors and not rush them to the NHL.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-in-the-f.html

Old
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Eadig

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The sad part of this is GR thinks the Cats are going to buy out a couple of guys so Frolik and Matthias have a real shot to make the roster in training camp. So, apparently, so much for letting our top prospects develop in the minors and not rush them to the NHL.

Matthias is was probably going to make the team anyway. The only person that might get the contract buy out is Stumpel and maybe Peltonen, and JM will probably sign a UFA forward. So getting rid of a player whose not producing at the level they should be for a person that might be a better fit on the team. So I don't think that it will be easier to make the final roster. But we shall see what happens in the off season.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Nice, great news to hear.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

We'll see. I still think Matthias and Frolik start the year in Rochester, and maybe Matthias is brought up mid-season. Frolik could really use one solid season in the AHL IMO, I think that's what's best for him. You know Martin won't bring either of them up full time until they're absolutely ready anyway.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
sabrefan27

The numbers don't add up for Frolik and Matthias to make Florida. For just one of them to make it, the Panthers would have to cut loose at least 2 or 3 guys, and then not sign anyone in free agency. It won't happen. They'll at least start in Rochester. But they could be midseason call ups.

Old
05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Why would you want your best prospects in the farm? It doesn't always equal development..sometimes the best development is by fire.

Loads of rookies these days are coming up fast and are performing well.

Old
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The numbers don't add up for Frolik and Matthias to make Florida. For just one of them to make it, the Panthers would have to cut loose at least 2 or 3 guys, and then not sign anyone in free agency. It won't happen. They'll at least start in Rochester. But they could be midseason call ups.
Martin has really only said that he wants to bring in a defenseman via free agency. Perhaps he brings in more, but I can see Stumpel and possibly Murphy, Dvorak, and Pelts moved.

I see Matthias as having the best chance with the Panthers, though, I'd imagine Martin wants to see what Olli-Matthias-Frolik could produce. If Olli's still here.

05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Why would you want your best prospects in the farm? It doesn't always equal development..sometimes the best development is by fire.

Loads of rookies these days are coming up fast and are performing well.
This team's hstory has a lot of rookies' growth stunted due to being called up to quick. Matthias, and possibly Frolik, seem to be guys who could make the transition well. I'm glad they have to earn the spot, though.

Old
05-29-2008, 04:30 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:

If they have a strong camp... I frankly don't care if they are eating up 1st line time, 3rd line or 4th line. How much more TIME do you want to wait? The waiting is over. Throw young guys to the wolves. Nothing else has worked this century,want to wait another one??? Young is not always the worst option. CHL. arguably prepares players for the NHL. right away. Who cares about this AHL . stuff at this point. When did that help us with Petr Taticek and Anthony Stewart...answer me that one

Old
05-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Chalk up another point for our GM!

Old
05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
Matthias is was probably going to make the team anyway. The only person that might get the contract buy out is Stumpel and maybe Peltonen, and JM will probably sign a UFA forward. So getting rid of a player whose not producing at the level they should be for a person that might be a better fit on the team. So I don't think that it will be easier to make the final roster. But we shall see what happens in the off season.
That would be better news then this signing!

Old
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
This team's hstory has a lot of rookies' growth stunted due to being called up to quick. Matthias, and possibly Frolik, seem to be guys who could make the transition well. I'm glad they have to earn the spot, though.
The only one that comes to mind that didn't hurt his development by being brought up early was Mark Parrish.

Old
05-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
GP, GR's blog entry makes it very plain that it is his own speculation - not anything he's learned from Panthers' brass - that there will be buyouts in order to get these guys on the team. Since when is George Richards the team's GM? No offense meant to him, but his speculation isn't much of a step above that of any of us on this board. Weren't you contending these prospects wouldn't even get signed prior to this? Even I was nervous as the deadline approached, but it proved to be completely unfounded.

So please just stop nay-saying everything Martin does as doomed to fail. Give it time - you've been wrong on most of his GM dealings so far even if you've been right on some aspects of his coaching failures. He's not coach anymore, so maybe you should start second-guessing yourself at this point and just wait and see what happens.

05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
The only one that comes to mind that didn't hurt his development by being brought up early was Mark Parrish.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Parrish was streaky his rookie year as a Panther, and got traded that very off-season - he then went on to develop into a player who was a streaky goal-scorer throughout his career. Maybe he'd have benefitted from a couple years in the minors to learn how to play consistently.

Horton could definitely have benefitted from some lessons about hard work in the minors before rushing to the security of an NHL contract, too. Maybe even JBo could have (though he'd likely have pouted about it like he did when the Panthers sent him to San Antonio during the lockout, so maybe not).

Anyway, who knows what will happen, but I'd seriously like to see Matthias and Frolik at least get 40 games in the AHL before being called up.

Old
05-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
When did that help us with Petr Taticek and Anthony Stewart...answer me that one
Are you trying to make the argument that Taticek and Stewart should have gone straight to the NHL?

The minor leagues is where young players can learn what it takes to play as pros without compromising the talent of their NHL team - only rare talents are able to make the leap from amateur ranks to the top pro ranks. Others need time to develop their game at the minor league level. Stewart has been hampered by injuries and the apparent inability to realize he has to earn his place - yet he still had a decent season, even if not outstanding, in Rochester this season. Taticek was just a bad draft pick.

Old
05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:

Weren't you the one saying it wouldn't get done and using the possibility that Frolik might not get signed as a reason to bash JM? Well, he's signed and now you're still trying to find something else to bash JM about. Meanwhile, everyone else on this board would love to see some guys be bought out because frankly, that's what is best for our team -- rather you want to realize it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
GP, GR's blog entry makes it very plain that it is his own speculation - not anything he's learned from Panthers' brass - that there will be buyouts in order to get these guys on the team. Since when is George Richards the team's GM? No offense meant to him, but his speculation isn't much of a step above that of any of us on this board. Weren't you contending these prospects wouldn't even get signed prior to this? Even I was nervous as the deadline approached, but it proved to be completely unfounded.

So please just stop nay-saying everything Martin does as doomed to fail. Give it time - you've been wrong on most of his GM dealings so far even if you've been right on some aspects of his coaching failures. He's not coach anymore, so maybe you should start second-guessing yourself at this point and just wait and see what happens.
Very well said.

I am glad Frolik is signed. If he comes to camp and earns his spot, you make room for him. I can guarantee that he won't just be given a spot as players have in the past and that is surely a great thing.

Old
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Gaebriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
You have evidence to back this up? I see this opinion being thrown around all the time, but never any evidence based justification. There are plenty of players throughout history that have made the jump and done well, and plenty who haven't. I'm not sure you could even find any evidence to support that claim as you'd have to somehow look into an alternate version of reality to see if a player did better in the other situation. Sounds like nothing more than another perpetuated sports myth. The only reasonable thing you could say is that it depends on the player, but ultimately that's somewhat of a uselessly obvious statement.

It's also amusing to me when the same people praise young players for playing in junior leagues way above their age. Wasn't Frolik one of those? Clearly his 'growth' was permanently stunted.

Old
05-29-2008, 08:53 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
You have evidence to back this up? I see this opinion being thrown around all the time, but never any evidence based justification. There are plenty of players throughout history that have made the jump and done well, and plenty who haven't. I'm not sure you could even find any evidence to support that claim as you'd have to somehow look into an alternate version of reality to see if a player did better in the other situation. Sounds like nothing more than another perpetuated sports myth. The only reasonable thing you could say is that it depends on the player, but ultimately that's somewhat of a uselessly obvious statement.

It's also amusing to me when the same people praise young players for playing in junior leagues way above their age. Wasn't Frolik one of those? Clearly his 'growth' was permanently stunted.
No, Frolik was not an overager in junior last year.

Old
05-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Parrish was streaky his rookie year as a Panther, and got traded that very off-season - he then went on to develop into a player who was a streaky goal-scorer throughout his career. Maybe he'd have benefitted from a couple years in the minors to learn how to play consistently.

Horton could definitely have benefitted from some lessons about hard work in the minors before rushing to the security of an NHL contract, too. Maybe even JBo could have (though he'd likely have pouted about it like he did when the Panthers sent him to San Antonio during the lockout, so maybe not).

Anyway, who knows what will happen, but I'd seriously like to see Matthias and Frolik at least get 40 games in the AHL before being called up.
I was merely trying to come up with an example of someone who was brought up early and was a little successful. Yeah Parrish was streaky but he is the only player that I could think of that had somewhat of a successful rookie season. Horton injured his shoulder during his rookie year(Only played about 50 games) or he would have probably reached 20+ goals like Parrish did. But yeah, they both could have used more time in the minors.

For the second part of your post I think it depends on the team. All those rookies who were brought up to soon to play for the Panthers were put on the front lines of the war & thrown to the wolves basically because of the lack of depth in our organization in the past. Rookies should not be counted on like that, they should be the secondary options and role players at the very most. That's the problem we have always had. If we had a better team in the past our rookies would have come in and really performed IMO. Look at Carolina. Staal came in as a rookie and really performed. Why, because he wasn't counted on to perform. It's different when we bring up our rookies because we need them to perform when they join the big club. That's too much pressure to put on 20year olds unless they are Crosby or Ovechkin.
Yeah, we can put our rookies on the top lines and give them chances but don't put the pressure on them to score or that's it. Booth is a perfect example. He wasn't pressured into scoring goals, and knew that he would still get playing time on the top lines if he made some mistakes. If the new head coach takes the same approach with our rookies when they make the club that JM took with Booth our rookies will be fine.

Last edited by Beezer: 05-29-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Closed Thread