HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

gags to montreal (proposal)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
  #151
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Kaberle's hit is awesome but so is Gagne's if he returns to form. 40 goal scorers that deserve Selke consideration can't be had for 5.25 million. This is a really tenuous situation. If there is any deal involving Gagne it could really burn us depending on the specifics of the deal and whether or not Gagne returns to form.
we almost certainly wouldn't get burned...worst case scenario would be an even trade. it's far more likely Toronto would get screwed in that deal than us.

we'll see what happens with Gagne...I'm not one of the folks thinking he's never going to be the same, I just think it's a legitimate concern and it should factor into the team's approach wherever it's possible.

I will note that I would be shocked to see him moved.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:35 PM
  #152
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
we almost certainly wouldn't get burned...worst case scenario would be an even trade. it's far more likely Toronto would get screwed in that deal than us.

we'll see what happens with Gagne...I'm not one of the folks thinking he's never going to be the same, I just think it's a legitimate concern and it should factor into the team's approach wherever it's possible.

I will note that I would be shocked to see him moved.
We could get burned if his is traded but his value is so low that it ends up being Gagne + roster player + pick(s) for a guy like Kaberle. Or, if Gagne is traded for a middling defensive player with a fairly substantial contract. A borderline 3/4 defenseman with a similar cap hit as Gagne, for instance.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
  #153
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
We could get burned if his is traded but his value is so low that it ends up being Gagne + roster player + pick(s) for a guy like Kaberle. Or, if Gagne is traded for a middling defensive player with a fairly substantial contract. A borderline 3/4 defenseman with a similar cap hit as Gagne, for instance.
well, I'm just talking about the Gagne and a 1st for Kaberle deal...I don't think that would be a burn (unless Kaberle was a different player here) even if Gagne went and put up 35+ goals next season.

for other levels of players, it would be a different story, yes...and yes, I think you're getting near to what Gagne's actual value as of now is.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
  #154
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
for other levels of players, it would be a different story, yes...and yes, I think you're getting near to what Gagne's actual value as of now is.
What is his value as a healthy player, do you think? I'd be afraid of pre-emptively trading him just to see him turn around and score 40 goals for the next 5 years.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
  #155
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
What is his value as a healthy player, do you think? I'd be afraid of pre-emptively trading him just to see him turn around and score 40 goals for the next 5 years.
Lets focus on Kaberle, just for the sake of argument and assume both play to their capabilities.

Kaberle makes 4.25M, and Gagne makes 5.25M...so Gagne has a larger salary cap at a less premium position. I would say for their position, they're pretty similar players...you'd probably give a slight nod to Kaberle, but it isn't all that much.

So, I think it would still be Gagne + something for Kaberle. It wouldn't be a lot getting included, but something...certainly not a 1st rounder.

If Kaberle were on a more normal contract for his skill-set (5.5M or so), I think a straight up trade would be pretty much fair for both sides. The fact that he's 4.25M and we're about to see Campbell get 7M or something ridiculous...that really matters.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
  #156
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lets focus on Kaberle, just for the sake of argument and assume both play to their capabilities.

Kaberle makes 4.25M, and Gagne makes 5.25M...so Gagne has a larger salary cap at a less premium position. I would say for their position, they're pretty similar players...you'd probably give a slight nod to Kaberle, but it isn't all that much.

So, I think it would still be Gagne + something for Kaberle. It wouldn't be a lot getting included, but something...certainly not a 1st rounder.

If Kaberle were on a more normal contract for his skill-set (5.5M or so), I think a straight up trade would be pretty much fair for both sides. The fact that he's 4.25M and we're about to see Campbell get 7M or something ridiculous...that really matters.
Gags and Kukks. Get 'er done.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
  #157
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
I guess you are the only one on this board who knows hockey. Very good deal for both clubs. Montreal is paying a premium for Gagne.I bet Halak could beat out Biron next year. Gagne can make a lot more money in montreal outside hockey. Wont happen. But interesting.
Halak could beat out Biron?
give me a freaking break. If Halak was that good he would have been named the starter for the playoffs for Montreal. Halak was so good he was sent to Hamilton this season.
Halak starting ahead of Biron. Jesus that is such a terrible idea it isnt even funny.
A big to the trade proposal as well

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:14 PM
  #158
panayiotis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Halak could beat out Biron?
give me a freaking break. If Halak was that good he would have been named the starter for the playoffs for Montreal. Halak was so good he was sent to Hamilton this season.
Halak starting ahead of Biron. Jesus that is such a terrible idea it isnt even funny.
A big to the trade proposal as well
Price and Huet were on the Habs. Huet was signed for 3.5 mill. Gainey wanted Price on the team. Halak went down and was best goalie in AHL. Kid can play. Obviously you dont follow the game. Biron is by no stretch untouchable.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
  #159
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Price and Huet were on the Habs. Huet was signed for 3.5 mill. Gainey wanted Price on the team. Halak went down and was best goalie in AHL. Kid can play. Obviously you dont follow the game. Biron is by no stretch untouchable.
Halak is a young goalie that most any team would love to have. He's infinitely better than Nitty and may prove to be a top 10 goalie one day. Halak is the kind of goalie quality teams have in their system.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
  #160
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang
 
FlyLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Livin the High Life
Country: United States
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Halak is a young goalie that most any team would love to have. He's infinitely better than Nitty and may prove to be a top 10 goalie one day. Halak is the kind of goalie quality teams have in their system.
Has Halak won an Olympic MVP?

I think people underestimate Niittymaki a little too much, while he has been a backup for Esche and now Biron, he is still a solid goaltending prospect, and can very well be a very solid #1 goaltender someday.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:42 PM
  #161
thedjpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Has Halak won an Olympic MVP?

I think people underestimate Niittymaki a little too much, while he has been a backup for Esche and now Biron, he is still a solid goaltending prospect, and can very well be a very solid #1 goaltender someday.
He's 28 years old. He is what he is, there's not much improving left to do.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
  #162
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
He's 28 years old. He is what he is, there's not much improving left to do.
He could be one of those guys that turn 30 and decide to be a top 10 goalie for a few years. But, as for the comparison between him and Halak... well, I think he loses out. Halak seems to be more of a sure thing and is younger. Nitty played great for stretches but doesn't seem to have the composure necessary to succeed at the NHL level in a starting role. Does anyone really think that Nitty would have beaten the Caps or Montreal?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:53 AM
  #163
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Price and Huet were on the Habs. Huet was signed for 3.5 mill. Gainey wanted Price on the team. Halak went down and was best goalie in AHL. Kid can play. Obviously you dont follow the game. Biron is by no stretch untouchable.
I dont follow the game? no one ever said Biron isnt untouchable, but to say Halak could beat out Biron for the starters position is just well, ****ing crazy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:19 AM
  #164
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Gags and Kukks. Get 'er done.
How about Lupul and Jones

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
  #165
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Price and Huet were on the Habs. Huet was signed for 3.5 mill. Gainey wanted Price on the team. Halak went down and was best goalie in AHL. Kid can play. Obviously you dont follow the game. Biron is by no stretch untouchable.
Im still afraid as s*** trying to figure out what u want our team to look like.... Having Halak as our main goalie....oh my

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.