HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin To Habs Rumor (latest Gainey-Fletcher agree to deal; must sign Sundin 1st)

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
Sundin To Habs Rumor (latest Gainey-Fletcher agree to deal; must sign Sundin 1st)

Okay.

Lets say, in the off season, Mats Sundin comes to the Canadiens. Don't give me a "it won't happen" because thats not the point. We're talking about the Canadiens bringing in an unrestricted free agent onto the team, who plays center, and is a fantastic one at that.

What do you do with the lines?

Sundin on 1st Line? Sundin on 2nd line? Koivu on 2nd line? Koivu the winger on 2nd line? Koivu on 3rd line?

It's good to remember that Koivu and Sundin will be by far the best faceoff men, and thats a statistic where we hurt. It wouldn't be smart to take Koivu off.

Here's my proposed lines:

Higgins - Sundin - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - (blank)
Begin - Chipchura - Kostopolous

Now, none of the top lines would be averaging over 20 minutes a game. No way. However, the third line would surely need no less than 10 minutes a game themselves, especially if we get a strong right winger for Koivu and don't simply rely on re-signing Ryder or Streit or putting in Dandenault (puke). I can't see any of our youngsters already getting out there.

Is there anyone who would be unhappy with this? Does anyone really see a 70 points a season Sundin coming onto the team and centering Higgins and Kovalev and say, "No, thats not right"? Anyone think the Kost/Plek/Kovalev line should be kept entact and go with something else?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-20-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old
05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
It won't happen.

Old
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
le_sean

I'd say that looks about right. Having Sundin and Kovalev owning down low is a dream, those two would be unstoppable. Then you have that speedy 2nd line, a line in which Andrei gets to create on his own instead of letting Kovalev do it. Then you have Saku with Gui, which usually works well I'm sure a rookie winger or cheap 3rd liner could go in there. I like it.

Old
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I would be bouncing off the walls if we had those lines going into next year.

3rd line RW should be D'Agostini with Grabovski and Stewart as the 13th & 14th forwards.

And yes, Grabovski would still have a place with the team, more so now than ever if Sundin were able to provide size up the middle.

Old
05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

If it were to happen, why not a line made of Latendresse - Kovalev - Sundin...

Old
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
I would be bouncing off the walls if we had those lines going into next year.

3rd line RW should be D'Agostini with Grabovski and Stewart as the 13th & 14th forwards.

And yes, Grabovski would still have a place with the team, more so now than ever if Sundin were able to provide size up the middle.
I have this bizarre problem with completely forgetting about Mikhail Grabovski. I played a full season of sim hockey with real rosters as the Montreal Canadiens and didn't realize until last week he was never on my roster or even farm or even prospects.

Would love to give one of those three a shot with Saku. The only reason I don't want Saku on the third line this season is because he is in a contract year and that might sour him. Though if we absolutely destroyed the Northeast Division with Sundin in the lineup and everyone getting one year better, I don't think he'd care as much.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Chomsky

I love your title.

Personally, if we were to have Sundin I'd put Lats with him right away to mentor him and I'd sign Pacioretty and promote him with the big club (If he has a good training camp of course), and then all our size problems would be fixed.

Latendresse-Sundin-Kovalev
Pacioretty-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn
Higgins-Plekanec-S.Kostitsyn
Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

Reserve:Lapierre

Now, THAT's hot. Size, Skill, Speed, grit. *DROOL*

Old
05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Magic33

s.Kostitsyn - Sundin - (Blank)
Kovalev- Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Higgins- Koivu - (blank)

Lats would fill in on one of the two blanks, with perhaps another UFA signing to compliment either one of those lines.

Either way, having sundin, pleks and koivu as our centers would be incredible. I like this lineup ALOT.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Kaptain Bégin

I really hope it will happen.

Here's my line:

1.1: A.Kost-Sundin-S.Kost
1.2: Grabovski-Plekanec-Kovalev
1.3: Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse
4: Bégin-Chipchura-Lapierre

extra: Kostopoulos, Stewart or D'Agostini

I see both Stewart and D'Agostini play sometimes. If you don't like Tender at RW, his natural position, put him with plekanec and Kovy on LW and Grabovski on RW with Koivu.

I really want to see Sundin with KostBros. A big and strong RH center who can play physical with those skilled wingers...OUCH. This could be huge.

I keep Higgins with Koivu because we all want Koivu happy, and I'm not sure playing with Latendresse and Grabovski will make him happy. Grabovski will use his speed at best on wings, and I think Kovy will be happy to see the Bros together and take Grabovski under his wing, and he like to play with Plekanec. I want Latendresse with Koivu, or any offensive winger. He seems to be confortable with Koivu. Finally, I want Chichura and Lapierre on the line-up, but Kostopoulos and others will get their chance too. Bégin will be injuried sometimes again so, it will be easy to make rooms for Kostopoulos, Stewart and D'Agostini.

Last edited by Kaptain Bégin: 05-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
It won't happen.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
If it were to happen, why not a line made of Latendresse - Kovalev - Sundin...
That is actually not a bad idea. It would be a really, really slow line, but they would be incredibly difficult to contain down low. (The Pochahontas-Sundin-Andropoff line in Toronto would be somewhat comparable.) Plus the combination of size and skill would inevitably lead to quality chances. Lats parked in front and Kovy and Sundin working the puck.

Further, this would allow Higgins and Koivu to remain together and give us a solid two-way 3rd line. It would give us 3 balanced lines. However, I still think we need two forwards this offseason. One star and one depth player. Who knows though, another young kid might blow management away during training camp.

A.Kost-Plekanec-S.Kost
Higgins-Koivu-xxxxx
Bégin-Chipchura/Lapierre-Kostopoulos

*Lapierre/Chipchura and Grabovski as 13th and 14th forwards
*D'Agostini and Stewart as other options

Old
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think projecting the lines is a very useful exercise. I don't see how anybody would feel confident predicting what would work best. If we had Sundin, he'd be tried in camp with a variety of players, and maybe he'd turn out to be best off centering Kovalev, or maybe he'd be best on the wing with Koivu, or who knows what, really. I'd just be happy to have him foremost, and then curious to see where he was going to fit. But I couldn't predict it. He's the kind of talent that almost trascends line combinations.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
That is actually not a bad idea. It would be a really, really slow line, but they would be incredibly difficult to contain down low. (The Pochahontas-Sundin-Andropoff line in Toronto would be somewhat comparable.) Plus the combination of size and skill would inevitably lead to quality chances. Lats parked in front and Kovy and Sundin working the puck.
Huh? Neither Sundin nor Kovalev are slow. Latendresse is slow, that's right, but he should be faster next season with his powerskating lessons.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
I really hope it will happen.

Here's my line:

1.1: A.Kost-Sundin-S.Kost
1.2: Grabovski-Plekanec-Kovalev
1.3: Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse
4: Bégin-Chipchura-Lapierre

extra: Kostopoulos, Stewart or D'Agostini

I see both Stewart and D'Agostini play sometimes. If you don't like Tender at RW, his natural position, put him with plekanec and Kovy on LW and Grabovski on RW with Koivu.

I really want to see Sundin with KostBros. A big and strong RH center who can play physical with those skilled wingers...OUCH. This could be huge.

I keep Higgins with Koivu because we all want Koivu happy, and I'm not sure playing with Latendresse and Grabovski will make him happy. Grabovski will use his speed at best on wings, and I think Kovy will be happy to see the Bros together and take Grabovski under his wing, and he like to play with Plekanec. I want Latendresse with Koivu, or any offensive winger. He seems to be confortable with Koivu. Finally, I want Chichura and Lapierre on the line-up, but Kostopoulos and others will get their chance too. Bégin will be injuried sometimes again so, it will be easy to make rooms for Kostopoulos, Stewart and D'Agostini.
youre not actually trying to bring grabovski?

i see higgins on the second line 463136 before grabovski

Old
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Huh? Neither Sundin nor Kovalev are slow. Latendresse is slow, that's right, but he should be faster next season with his powerskating lessons.
Kovalev and Sundin can skate when they want to, but for the most part, their game is based on slowing the pace down and playing it at their level. It takes a ton of talent to do that and only the best do. Mario Lemieux was the same way. A team would try to play a huge attack and he'd screech it to a halt with the puck.

Latendresse can skate at a good pace, as we've seen with him stopping icings from time to time. It's his pivoting that hurts. The guy can race to one side of the ice, but turning and skating back is crud.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Mustafa*

I think that we shouldn't put Lats on a third line because he's not a defensive player, Higgins could be playing with Pleaky on that line, that's a big change, i agree that could kill the chemistry of the first and the second line, but that could be a good shutdown duo with Lapy or Kosto. This way the four lines are realy strong and have a definit role.

Lats - Koivu - SK : Lats must be teamed with a skilled center to learn responsabilities, this guy can score, and SK style is similar to Koivu, so he learn from the bests, both could learn what it takes to be at 100% every games.

Ak - Sundin - Ak : We got the three best forward in the team, something we could call a top 5 first line in the league without any shame, they score, and they even score more, Sundin and Kovy put on some flashy plays.

Higgins - Pleky - Lapy/Causto : Higgins and Pleky ar two top 6 with some great defensive skillz, and at the same time they both put pucks in the net, so they wouldn't feel demoted to play with each other, put Lapy as a winger, a good defensive player, he goes in the corners, can control the puck behind the net, so this line is pretty fast, responsible and two players can generate big goals. Kosto can put some Garbage goal and is a superbe Pkiller, a lot of energy and dedication.

Bégin - Chip - Causto/Lapy : What can i say? a fourth line with no weakness.

No big changes, almost the same team than last year, plus Big Matt, i didn't include Streit in the line up since i dont know if he will be playing for the CH, if thats the case i would put him with Pleky and Higgins, he can be good as a denfensive forward and got some good skillz, he's better at defense when he plays as a forward.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

After a season like Pleks had, you demote him to the 3rd?:S

Old
05-29-2008, 03:41 PM
24Cups

Quote:

Pacioretty-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn
Higgins-Plekanec-S.Kostitsyn
Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos
As a couple of others have also proposed I like the idea of Latendresse and Sundin playing together. If Sundin can make Ponikavarsky a 20 goal scorer he should be able to elevate Lats to 30 or 35 goals.

Pacioretty is not playing in Montreal this season. That would be more of a stretch than Sundin signing IMO. Higgins and S.Kost back with Koivu. A.Kost and either Lapierre/Streit/D'Agostini/Grabovski with Plekanec. The 4th line is fine as you list it.

With not signing Streit to $2.5-3.0 million and saving Ryder's $2.0-2.5, it wouldn't take a lot more to cover the cost of Sundin. Unlike Hossa who wants the moon on a loooong term deal, Sundin for 1 or 2 seasons could be more than affordable. After the trade deadline insulting debacle it'll only take Fletcher to flinch on offering an honorable proposal going into July 1 and Sundin will sign elsewhere, I'm convinced of that. Sundin has expressed often that he prefers to play in Canada (if he can't stay with the Leafs), so I don't know why some posters state that it won't happen that he would sign in Montreal. Expect the unexpected.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Here's my proposed lines:

Higgins - Sundin - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - (blank)
Koivu might not like it, but I think you're on the right track here as far as this goes.

In terms of ice time, I'd play each of those lines 15-18 minutes a game, which leaves about 10 minutes for the fourth line.

I'd suspect the Habs need to move Kosto or Begin to the bench though and get Lapierre on the ice. I'd also invest in a good, secondary scoring, but defensively responsible veteran to play on the third line.

This would be the start of the transition of Koviu to a defensive minded role, which he may not like, but I think is the best chance he has of a long career. I think he'd be better playing 15 minutes a night against less competitive lines than 20 against the top line. I foresee him going the Steve Yzerman route.

For next year though, if we get Sundin, I'd feel we have to go with three scoring lines.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:48 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Great gooogly mooogly, who is that in your avatar? Me likey.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Granted "really, really slow" was way too much of an exaggeration, but I just meant that speed is not one of the main attributes of any of those three players.

Sundin and Kovalev are incredibly strong on their skates and very agile for big men, but they do not have great top speed and don't rely on speed to generate scoring chances. So that line could caught by backchecking forwards and might not have the breakout speed to take advantage of odd-man rushes. That would be my only concern.

Old
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
InPriceWeTrust

Id let Koivu play wing, before being a third line center.

Yes I know your gonna lip me, but him and Sundin playing together would be magical.

Old
05-29-2008, 04:01 PM
mcphee

I wouldn't be surprised if Sundin was to get a long look playing the wing alongside Koivu. Koivu's best assets are finding an open winger for an open shot, Sundin has a good release, Koivu works well in tight quaters down low and can get the puck out quickly to a guy who can hold position near the net, Sundin's a beast in tight to the goalie. I see the 2 players as being a good fit.

Old
05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I bite my thumb at thee as I ridicule your lines!

Old
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
number 11

after his playoff performance people still want saku on the third line.

Closed Thread