HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Most underappreciated player/players in Flames history?

Old
05-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Most underappreciated player/players in Flames history?

Who do you consider the most underappreciated player/players in Calgary Flames history?

Here are mine:

Kent Nilsson. If I were to ask a Flames fan who hold the team single-season record for points, they'd guess Fleury, Mullen, or Iginla. Great player who's grossly overshadowed by the franchise's many magnificent players.

Reggie Lemelin: Vernon and Kipper are the most prominent names of Calgary puckstoppers. But, in the early years of the franchise, he did a damn good job steadying a rising power- he was their main crease protector immediately upon the move from Atlanta.

Gary Suter: Overshadowed by Macinnis and Phaneuf, but very productive and solid in his time there.

Phil Housley: Don't laugh. I have always liked him, and I thought he was very good for the Flames.
(IMHO, he's worthy of the HHOF)
I know it must have hurt to trade MacInnis, but Housley was not a horrific return- it wasn't exactly Hasek for Beauregard-esque. IMO, had the Flames kept #6 and NOT traded him to New Jersey in 1996, the playoff drought that followed might never have happened.

Anyway, those are my choices.

Feel free to comment on my choices and give yours as well.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Nieuwendyk. He was a good leader, and had alot of talent.
Robyn Regehr. I wouldn't say he's the most underappreciated, but he's a very strong shutdown defenseman, and he really doesn't get enough attention/credit that he deserves, it's all going to Phaneuf. (Not saying Regehr is equivalent to Phaneuf)

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Lunatik*

Anders Eriksson

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Phil Housley: Don't laugh. I have always liked him, and I thought he was very good for the Flames.
(IMHO, he's worthy of the HHOF)
I know it must have hurt to trade MacInnis, but Housley was not a horrific return- it wasn't exactly Hasek for Beauregard-esque.
This is the only one i disagree with, Housley could put up points but we was absolutely horrid in the defensive zone.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:26 PM
true_moose

It's tough, just cause in such a rich hockey market as Calgary, even the roleplayers receive their kudos (look at Yelle or Nilson during the '04 run.) I've always had a particular soft spot for Joel Otto though. Tough, faceoffs, classic guy you'd always want to have on your team.

true_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Body Checker

Sergei Makarov - Wow, what a talent with the puck. He didn't get much recognition on Flames teams that were stacked with the likes of Macinnis, Gilmour, Fleury, Nieuwendyk, etc. but he could dangle with the best of them.

On a side note I read Igor Larionov accepted an award on Makarov's behalf because Sergei is in poor health, anyone know anymore?

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:32 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_moose View Post
I've always had a particular soft spot for Joel Otto though. Tough, faceoffs, classic guy you'd always want to have on your team.
I'm really soft for Otto as well. He played a vital part of the post-cup team in the early 90s. Losing him to Philly was tough and kinda stupid.

Last edited by LennyV: 06-02-2008 at 06:52 AM.
LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Makarov, Roberts, Timmy Hunter and I think Robyn Regehr is under-appreciated today.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
AndersEriksson*

Tim Ramholt

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

This year it's Huselius, easily.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
BearChi

Robyn Regehr

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Badger Bob

Everybody knew exactly what Kent Nilsson had, but it was a question of consistently applying his skills + other issues.

Gary Suter - 1st PP unit, paired with Brad MacCrimmon for 5on5, Team USA selections for Canada Cup ... who underappreciated him?

Phil Housley - is this name being offered in jest? The team was a laughingtock, when he was a Flame (bot times). He represented everything that was wrong with the organization - transients, lack of commitment, soft play (except for Sandy McCarthy and a few others) and early spring golf.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players.../00002374.html

His career would've been different if he'd been used exclusively as a winger, with a proper playmaker at center and a banger on the opposite side.

Not sure how Gary Roberts was underappreciated. Power forwards of that type are not easy to find. Fans understood the extent of the neck injury.

Sergei Makarov - not sure that he was so underappreciated, as much as that he continued to have productive seasons in San Jose.

------

Off the top of my head, Joel Otto gets a vote. He was an outstanding checker and penalty killer, came to play every night and was dependable on faceoffs. It was always my belief that the Flyers wanted him, just because Mess was a Ranger.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
FLAMESFAN

Otto was one of the meanest SOB's on the draw, but when push came to shove he was a ***** cat. He never would drop them with anyone close to his size and turtled alot. Don't get me wrong - I loved Otto's defensive play, but to say he was a tough guy is just plain wrong.

If I was to pick an underrated guy it would have to be Colin Patterson. The guy played on the top line with Mullen and Gilmour, and was a big reason they went on to be a plus 150 thru the year.

My second vote would go to Makarov, I remember annoucers saying only Gretzky had his lateral movement. He was a real treat to watch with Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

Man, makes me really miss that late 80's - early 90's team. Stacked team, and best in the league for a few years.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Dallas Flames Fan

Hakan Loob

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
ComixZone

Oh Oh I know this one...Hnat Domenechelli...no ..wait...Marty McInnis!...Nah......ah yes... Ronnie effing Stern!

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:59 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Hakan Loob
Hakan & The Loobs. best band name ever.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:41 AM