HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : MLB Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
  #1
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
OT : MLB Draft

Hey there, I was reading on RDS and they talked about the MLB draft and how the first québécois was selected in the 21st round. So I figured he must have been relieved to be selected since the draft was probably gonna end a round or two later.

I checked there is 50 round to the draft. FIFTY ROUNDS !!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous, they draft like 4 complete teams every year. I know there are about 27 affiliate teams for every team in the league, but still it'S ridiculous. At one point I guess you just take a list of eligible players and go from A to Z.

Anyways I don't know if anyone can explain me why it's so long but that seems pointless to me.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:48 PM
  #2
Zeus54
Trollololol
 
Zeus54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on tilt
Posts: 6,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours View Post
Hey there, I was reading on RDS and they talked about the MLB draft and how the first québécois was selected in the 21st round. So I figured he must have been relieved to be selected since the draft was probably gonna end a round or two later.

I checked there is 50 round to the draft. FIFTY ROUNDS !!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous, they draft like 4 complete teams every year. I know there are about 27 affiliate teams for every team in the league, but still it'S ridiculous. At one point I guess you just take a list of eligible players and go from A to Z.

Anyways I don't know if anyone can explain me why it's so long but that seems pointless to me.
About a week ago I was researching to see how many rounds there were and I was shocked that there were 50. That's just pathetic. 50 rounds? They should cut it down to like 15.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:35 PM
  #3
goldglove
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
50 rounds is a lot considering most of the star players are undrafted due to their international status.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:46 AM
  #4
habsrock60
Registered User
 
habsrock60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
That is a ridiculously long draft. Also, why does it take place at such a weird time of the year? Most are in the offseason. MLB's takes place during the season. Kinda weird.

habsrock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
  #5
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You have to have 50 rounds, teams lose slots in the first few rounds due to sandwich picks for free agent acquisitions & there are like 6 or 7 minor league teams to fill. Baseball is the pioneer of minor league systems that branch like big city subways! To bad the Jays missed out on the Canadian kid, he got picked one slot before by Milwaukee in the 1st round. The picks are done on conference call anyway, & players eligible are numbered like a catalog, it's a lot quicker than you would think.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
  #6
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
dont some players who get picked out of HS in later rounds just go to college and become draft eligible again? ive never quite really understood that aspect of it but i do know some of the guys who were thought to be in the top 10 heading into the draft were picked previously really late before going to college

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
  #7
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,105
vCash: 500
What's weird is that the Rays have the first pick and they are a pretty good team this year.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
  #8
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
If your picked in the top 10 ten, theres often a signing issue as you will get a signing bonus in the Millions!!!

The Rays are finally good due to 6 years of good drafting & a few wise trades...ie Kazmir. In baseball you either have to spend cash or wait it out. Quality takes time.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:37 AM
  #9
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
You have to have 50 rounds, teams lose slots in the first few rounds due to sandwich picks for free agent acquisitions & there are like 6 or 7 minor league teams to fill. Baseball is the pioneer of minor league systems that branch like big city subways! To bad the Jays missed out on the Canadian kid, he got picked one slot before by Milwaukee in the 1st round. The picks are done on conference call anyway, & players eligible are numbered like a catalog, it's a lot quicker than you would think.

Thx for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock60 View Post
That is a ridiculously long draft. Also, why does it take place at such a weird time of the year? Most are in the offseason. MLB's takes place during the season. Kinda weird.
You're right, I didn't think about that.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.