HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Chara's shot

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 05:26 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Chara's shot

I was listening to the Sens game last night and the announcers stated that Chara shoots hundreds of pucks a day, wrist, slap, backhand, etc. Does he really do it every day, and if so was it something he decided to do himself?

Old
02-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Yep he wanted to improve his shot...he even said he would shoot 500-700 pucks a day in the summer just to keep improving it. In my opinion he's got the #1 shot in the league...no shot even comes close to as accurate and fast as his. If he gets it off in that same position we see every time...it's going to go in or hit the crossbar 90% of the time.

I've been very impressed with Chara this year. He's improved his game so much since last year...I think it's great.

Old
02-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Ron Jeremy

He is awesome. WHat a trade, Cashin for Spezza and Chara? WOW!!!!!

Old
02-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan
Future Norris winner without a doubt. Joe Thornton said so himself!

Old
02-13-2004, 10:42 PM
nessie

Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
I will admit that Chara had a great shot - it's very fast, hard, and fairly accurate, but I wouldn't go myself as far as saying he's got the #1 shot in the league - other guys on the team have more accurate shots than him - in fact, I would say Redden has the most on the team that I have seen, the only time his shot goes wide of the net is when it's tipped or blocked, he has a dead on shot - but Chara is definately improving..I think people are weary of his shots because it's so hard and because he's such a big guy that he packs a lot of punch - not sure if I'd want to stand and block that shot!

Old
02-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
In my opinion he's got the #1 shot in the league...no shot even comes close to as accurate and fast as his. If he gets it off in that same position we see every time...it's going to go in or hit the crossbar 90% of the time.
LMAO

Now that's a knowledgeable hockey fan!

Old
02-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
LMAO

Actually that was an estimate but yeah it's pretty close to that. I'm pretty sure McInnis' shot was a little better but I'm convinced he's done for good now. That being said, I still stand by my statement.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:38 AM
The Big P

If every player in the NHL were that commited to their shots (ie take 500+ a day) don't you think that scoring would increase?

Old
02-14-2004, 12:58 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
LMAO

Why, because his opinion differs from yours? Chara has a 100+ mph shot that is very accurate, so it is not a stretch for someone to think that it is the best shot in the league (also, as he noted it was his opinion).

Old
02-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Why, because his opinion differs from yours? Chara has a 100+ mph shot that is very accurate, so it is not a stretch for someone to think that it is the best shot in the league (also, as he noted it was his opinion).
Don't worry about him...he's an angry Habs fan. He has reason to be too...#1 they're facing the Sens tonight and #2, if this becomes a playoff series, it won't last long

Old
02-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Chara has a great shot, but I've also been impressed by Spezza's shot. I've seen some nice top corner goals from him this year. A playmaker AND a natural goal scorer? He is one of my favorite young players who doesn't play for Pittsburgh (along with Havlat, Gagne, and Hemsky).

Old
02-14-2004, 07:21 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big P
If every player in the NHL were that commited to their shots (ie take 500+ a day) don't you think that scoring would increase?
Good point, but I doubt everyone has the dedication and patience to shoot a puck 500 times a day.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan
Don't forget, the Sens also got "Poor Bill" Muckalt in that trade.

Other Dave

Old
02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Don't forget, the Sens also got "Poor Bill" Muckalt in that trade.

Other Dave

I don't understand how Chara was so under rated by the Isles? I mean he was young and huge, and he could skate even then. How could they have not noticed his potential? If the Isles had thought much of him at the time, a Yashin for Chara deal, straight up, would never have happened - Ottawa would have had to sweeten the deal. Oh well, no complaints here!

Chara - Norris candidate at some point (potentially this year), on pace for 15 goals, league leader in +/- heading into last night

Spezza - would have won rookie of the year this year if he had played only a few less games last year, and with a little extra push could hit 30 goals this year

Muckalt - who knows, who cares?

Yashin - injured, huge salary, still no playoff leadership

Easily the most important deal in the Sens history.

As for Chara's shot, that was a beautiful shot last night. I'm not entirely sure that Theodore saw it the whole way, and by the time he saw the puck it was too late.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Sting

The Isles think very highly of Yashin for some reason...you see how long the deal they gave him is? I still can't get over what a bad deal that was for them. That day was the beginning of a new version of the Ottawa Senators imo. Arguably their most important player right now (Chara), and their future #1 all-star centre in Spezza.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:47 PM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
If the Isles had thought much of him at the time, a Yashin for Chara deal, straight up, would never have happened
Let's be honest at the time of the trade most people felt that the Isles should have given more. Names like Isbister and Connelly (still a blue chip prospect) along with a pick were being floated around.

Chara alone would never have gotten Yashin. All 99.9% sens fans would have cried bloody murder. A good many did anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
The Isles think very highly of Yashin for some reason...you see how long the deal they gave him is? I still can't get over what a bad deal that was for them. That day was the beginning of a new version of the Ottawa Senators imo. Arguably their most important player right now (Chara), and their future #1 all-star centre in Spezza.
Have to understand the complexity of Islander politics during that time. Attendance was down because of previous ownership trading away big names and threats of the team being sold and moved. The new ownership (Wang and Kumar) were trying to rebuild the fans trust along with demonstrating to local politicians that the Isles were here to stay. Essentially, allowing the ownership a better opportunity of getting a new building funded by the local gov't. and increase fan attendence.

Yashin and the ridiculously long contract was to be the big name centerpiece to illustrate the new ownerships comittment to building a team on Long Island. Unfortunately, local gov't scandals and September 11th, have sidetracked the new building plans.

As for Yashin, he was coming on strong before his injury. I still feel he wil be that 90point player next year if there is a next year. As for Chara I was personally rediculed (Sens fans, included) when I said Chara would develop to the level of D. Hatcher. Who has the last laugh now? Sens fan, still! :mad:

When the trade went down I thought Yashin for the pick Chara and Muckult was a better deal than the rumored ones that had Isbister and etc. going to the Sens. In hindsight I would rather have parted with Isbister then Chara. Since Chara is exactly what the Isles need now.

Either way the trade has worked in the Sens favor by giving them a bonafide Defensive stalwart and young budding #1 Center. It worked in the Isles favor by getting them back on the map with the media and fans and thus far kept them from becoming the "Portland Islanders."

Old
02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
nessie

Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
I know a little OT from the whole Chara thing but seems to me that the Isles give away great players to other teams and the other teams get the better end of it.

From my knowledge this started with acquiring Redden and I believe Rhodes - then Chara/Spezza and then the lesser knowns

But imagine our team now without Chara and Redden, the top two D - scary if you ask me

I am glad to see Chara's shot improved very much, and his goal last night was proof that he's really been practicing...nice to see the two D score, both VERY accurate shots!

Old
02-15-2004, 11:25 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECAhead
Let's be honest at the time of the trade most people felt that the Isles should have given more. Names like Isbister and Connelly (still a blue chip prospect) along with a pick were being floated around.

Chara alone would never have gotten Yashin. All 99.9% sens fans would have cried bloody murder. A good many did anyway.

I agree. I guess I didn't write it properly. All I meant is that Sens fans would be more than happy with trading the two straight up back then had it been apparent that Chara could have turned into the player he is today. Other than Chara's father, I don't think anyone ever thought he could progress this much.

It's just one of those deals that at the time didn't seem so significant but has ended up being the best deal they have ever made even if you just compare Chara for Yashin right now. Then throw in Spezza and you have the best deal for the franchise. The real meat of the deal was Ottawa getting the #2 pick (Spezza or Kovalchuk depending on the first pick) for Yashin, and Chara was a throw in.

But at this point I wouldn't trade Chara for just about any other player in the league.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:34 AM
o-dog

[QUOTE=PECAhead]Have to understand the complexity of Islander politics during that time. Attendance was down because of previous ownership trading away big names and threats of the team being sold and moved. The new ownership (Wang and Kumar) were trying to rebuild the fans trust along with demonstrating to local politicians that the Isles were here to stay. Essentially, allowing the ownership a better opportunity of getting a new building funded by the local gov't. and increase fan attendence.

Yashin and the ridiculously long contract was to be the big name centerpiece to illustrate the new ownerships comittment to building a team on Long Island. Unfortunately, local gov't scandals and September 11th, have sidetracked the new building plans.[QUOTE]

It was still a case of Milbury making yet another bad move, politics or no politics. It probably was the right course of action, he just went after the wrong player. Anyone who had the slightest inkling of Yashin's history with Ottawa and the NHL would have been wise to either stay away from him or not sell the farm trying to get him.

Even when Milbury was in a position where he was forced to trade his stars, he made some horrible deals. And not only that, he just has no concept of player development, ie. it takes longer than a year or two for some of these kids to pan out. Every team has dished off a few guys where they regret it, but Milbury seems to be the King for those actions. It's almost as if he's taken every blue-chip prospect they had and handed them over because they weren't instant stars or, for fool's gold from another team.

Redden, Brewer, Chara, Kasparitis and McCabe would be a nice defense corps. With Luongo in net, Milbury could have used his #1 draft pick the year he drafted DiPietro for Heatley or Gaborik, Spezza would be in the mix there as well and Jokinen would be a decent 2nd liner. Or instead of Jokinen, go back and keep the guy he traded him for (Palffy) I won't even bring up Bertuzzi although he did go with McCabe for Linden

But, if you're an Isles fan, I'm preaching to the choir because I'm sure you know all this. Sad really. If they just would have looked at the original blueprint for their previous dynasty (built through the draft), they could have had another. Hopefully, they've passed that on to the Sens (thanks Mike)

Old
02-16-2004, 08:05 AM
discostu

I often hear the Yashin trade justified by Isles fans by the politics that went behind the deal. The desire for the Isles to make a splash at that point was tremendous, given the couple of years they had at the bottom of the standings, but it still was a bad deal.

To me, what made the deal so ugly though, was the timing that the Isles ownership wanted to make a splash. They decided to buy a superstar (both in terms of trade value and contract) at the peak of the "star" player market.

Fast forward a couple of years later, and players like Federov were having trouble getting a UFA contract. Jaromir Jagr was traded solely on the basis that another team was willing to take on the contract. Kovalev was traded for spare parts.

In exchange, the Isles, by making their moves when they did, got a couple of playoff berths, which is definitely something of value to that team, but it came at way too high a price. If they didn't make those moves, they would have been non-playoff team these last couple of seasons, but they would have a better core of younger players (especially with Spezza and Chara there), and they wouldn't have the Yashin contract around their necks, which could have given the option to acquire some of the big contract players, which could have given them a legitimate chance at a cup run.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:56 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Chara with another goal today, how'd his shot look?

Old
02-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Sting

It was a nice wrister..and Smolinski provided the screen...the Rangers goalie had no idea where it was. They complained Smoke interfered with him...but Leetch not only pushed him into the goalie, but the puck went it before they made contact.

Closed Thread