HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jon Erskine

Old
05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
McRanger23

vCash: 500
Jon Erskine

How about him? I dont know much about him beside the fact that hes a big, gritty defenseman who isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Could be the kind of guy the Rangers could use on the third pairng and he is only getting paid .5 mil and change. It would probably only cost a 3rd rounder or like a mid-level prospect. Thoughts?

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDrury23 View Post
How about him? I dont know much about him beside the fact that hes a big, gritty defenseman who isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Could be the kind of guy the Rangers could use on the third pairng and he is only getting paid .5 mil and change. It would probably only cost a 3rd rounder or like a mid-level prospect. Thoughts?

id rather sign vandermeer, at least we dont trade anyone.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
No Erskine. Please.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Do we really need another Strudwick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
id rather sign vandermeer, at least we dont trade anyone.
That wouldn't be the issue. He could be had for a sixth round pick or a bottom tier prospect. Erskines are a dime a dozen. We have ample of these types of players in the minors.

The issue with the Ranger's defense is not depth. We have like six 3,4,5 defensemen in our lineup. The issue is quality. Staal I believe can step up to become the #2 (he needs to gain some muscle though), but we need a true number 1 and maybe a bit more quality grit, not like 6th pairing grit, because we wont want them on against better forwards. We want a defenseman we can stick on to intimidate and massacre star players of other teams, which is why Brooks Orpik is so coveted on these Rangers boards.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 06-01-2008 at 11:51 AM.
ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDrury23 View Post
L m F a O.

John Erskine? I think Strudwick is a better defenseman then Ersuck.

We dont need to turn into the Icegirls by signing all these character players with no skill. Strudwick is enough, at least he is a good team mate, and will give you 110% every game. Was my vote for the Steven McDonald Extra Effort award.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
L m F a O.

John Erskine? I think Strudwick is a better defenseman then Ersuck.

We dont need to turn into the Icegirls by signing all these character players with no skill. Strudwick is enough, at least he is a good team mate, and will give you 110% every game. Was my vote for the Steven McDonald Extra Effort award.
if we dump hollweg id take struds as forward for part of the year, good team guy, is cheap, never complains, this is why he is on alot of teams

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:38 PM
h0ckeyman

Gingers dont have souls.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
if we dump hollweg id take struds as forward for part of the year, good team guy, is cheap, never complains, this is why he is on alot of teams
Strudwick would be dead weight as a forward. Like Hollweg without the penatlies.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Strudwick would be dead weight as a forward. Like Hollweg without the penatlies.
and without the hits. and the forechecking. basically Hollweg is a far better forward than Strudwick. and I think Hollweg is pretty marginal.

Old
06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
SML

Nobody wants a defenseman to be dropping the gloves much anymore. You can't afford to have the guy kicked out of the game for fighting, it puts you down to 5 dmen. if somebody gets hurt, you're down to 4 and you probably lose depending on how far into the game you are. If you have a true workhorse like Pronger,Chara, or Lidstrom who can play 25 minutes a game every night, I could see dressing a guy who's only going to play 10-12, but we really don't. Keep our tough guy as the 12th forward. We need a dman who can hit hard and stay out of the box doing it. Look at Kronwall for the wings this year. He hits like a truck, he alters the way the other team plays the game, and in all honesty, probably couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. The Defense position is too valuable to waste it dressing a one trick guy like Erskine.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

We could sign Erskine to share some of the designated whipping boy fan venom with Backman.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote