HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

It's getting quiet

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 07:20 PM
avfan#21

vCash: 500
It's getting quiet

Anyone notice the daily Avalanche rumours have almost all dried up? I've been scouring for the last few days and noticed that the Avs are not being discussed in trade rumours. Does this mean that we're getting close to seeing Pierre's annual mindblower or does it simply mean we're standing pat?

Old
02-13-2004, 09:20 PM
fcbarcelona

i don't know if PL will get us a a great player since the avs are quite solid in talent through and though...even in goal. no need for an additional superstar unless its in goal...those type of players really aren't being offered around either. i think the avs could just use some added veteran leadership, especially in goal. quite honestly, i think the closest mindblower we can get now is simply asking for one from Paris.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
i don't know if PL will get us a a great player since the avs are quite solid in talent through and though...even in goal. no need for an additional superstar unless its in goal...those type of players really aren't being offered around either. i think the avs could just use some added veteran leadership, especially in goal. quite honestly, i think the closest mindblower we can get now is simply asking for one from Paris.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
That is usually the indication that he's gonna make a trade. Hopefully it involves Skoula, even though I thought he played a strong game against Detroit today.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:49 AM
fcbarcelona

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html

My thanks to Shawn for the following on the Avalanche: "TSN covered the Isle/Avs game the other night. Gord Miller said that they were in Denver the last couple of days, and there is a buzz around the team that LeCroix is up to something. He said the rumour is he is going to get a goalie and has intensified the search the last couple of weeks. "

I think what must have spurred this buzz was sauve's unexpected start against the isles. i don't know guys, but im having this deja vu which reminds of the scenario that preluded the blake deal. players getting more ice time than expected, rumours of something funny going on in colorado. PL is so secretive that he probably would make the U.S. and Canadian governments so proud. As Justin Timberlake likes to say in those McDonald's commercials: Ba Da Da Da I'm lovin it Yeah, that's supposed to sound fruity btw.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Anyone notice the daily Avalanche rumours have almost all dried up? I've been scouring for the last few days and noticed that the Avs are not being discussed in trade rumours. Does this mean that we're getting close to seeing Pierre's annual mindblower or does it simply mean we're standing pat?
Well, I for one am glad the rumors are starting to dry up. I think the main reason is that the team, especially Aebischer, is continuing to play well even with Blake out. Another reason is that the market is starting to dry up. Sean Burke's been traded and Hasek quit, leaving Kolzig and Salo as the only goalies available. And given their play, they're not even an upgrade on Sauve, much less Aebi.

That leaves players like Zhamnov and Lang. Well, seeing as how we have possibly the best 1-2 punch up the middle of any team in the league, that rules them out.

The only remaining position is a veteran defenseman. I really don't see any that could be had for cheap. The only blueliner out there in the trade rumors I could possibly want is Brewer, but the price for him would be steep. And we really don't have any more prospects we can afford to part with.

I think Lacroix might make a depth move or two. That's it. He made his big deal in getting Konowalchuk.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:07 AM
avfan#21

I know most take what announcers say with a grain of salt but I found it interesting yesterday that they said in the Wings game that the Kono trade was probably the best deal of the season in the NHL. I can't say I disagree at this point.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I would definately think that the Avs would need to add a veteran d-man. I'm not sure they will need another forward when some of the other depth players return. Svatos is a wild card. We saw those brilliant flashes of him only briefly this season. He is however small and injury prone, but we all had high hopes for him before his injury. He is expected to return before the end of the regular season.

Maybe we have found our new Red Wing killer....none other than Teemu Selanne...two goals in two games

Old
02-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
I know most take what announcers say with a grain of salt but I found it interesting yesterday that they said in the Wings game that the Kono trade was probably the best deal of the season in the NHL. I can't say I disagree at this point.

I hope to God that Lacroix keeps Kono. Isn't he an UFA after this season?

Old
02-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
I hope to God that Lacroix keeps Kono. Isn't he an UFA after this season?
Yes he is. It would be an even better trade if Kono resigned. He is having a career year, here in Colorado.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:28 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Kono was loved in DC and he has clearly made his mark in Denver. I hope he stays and continues to flourish.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Yes he is. It would be an even better trade if Kono resigned. He is having a career year, here in Colorado.
You got to think that PL realizes how important Kono is to this team, in many different regards. Hopefully we see PL resign him before he becomes a UFA, like he did with BLake, Sakic, and Roy, because he is gonna attract a lot of interest on the open market, after what he has done this year, and we might not be able to match an offer with our payrole at what it is now.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
The only remaining position is a veteran defenseman. I really don't see any that could be had for cheap. The only blueliner out there in the trade rumors I could possibly want is Brewer, but the price for him would be steep. And we really don't have any more prospects we can afford to part with.
There are some other defenseman out there that might make a good fit. Spector has been saying for a while that Boughner and Keith Carney might be available, and today reported Brad Bombardir might also be available. I woulnd't mind having any of those guys on our blue line, but I see Bougner as the most likely, since I doubt Minnesota would deal Bombardir to us, since we are in the same division (although it's possible if they look like they will miss the playoffs, and we have dealt with Calgary a few times) and I don't see Anaheim parting with Carney, even if they are out of the playoffs, and it probably wouldn't be too popular with the fans, if they willingly sent another player to Colorado to join Kariya.

On a related note, Spector also mentioned Steve Ruccin as being available, and although I don't see him being dealt to us for the same reasons I already mentioned, it's an interesting thought that he might be reunited with Kariya and Selanne, finally giving them a line that works, especially if Niko's groin doesn't improve. (Knock on wood)

Old
02-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
On a related note, Spector also mentioned Steve Ruccin as being available, and although I don't see him being dealt to us for the same reasons I already mentioned, it's an interesting thought that he might be reunited with Kariya and Selanne, finally giving them a line that works, especially if Niko's groin doesn't improve. (Knock on wood)
The Av's need another good face off man. With Niko out (and who knows when he'll be back), Sakic is the only guy on the Av's that is worth a crap on draws. I think it's really been evident on the PK. Since Niko has been out, the Av's PK has went from #2 in the league to #11. Getting a guy like Ruccin would be a huge plus.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBrad
The Av's need another good face off man. With Niko out (and who knows when he'll be back), Sakic is the only guy on the Av's that is worth a crap on draws. I think it's really been evident on the PK. Since Niko has been out, the Av's PK has went from #2 in the league to #11. Getting a guy like Ruccin would be a huge plus.
Also Sakic doesn't seem to be the same on draws, as he was a couple years ago, when he was one of the best, and Peter was never that great etither. So since we have Forsberg, Sakic, and Niko as our top three centers, and I don't see us replacing Peter or Joe, than the center we would be aquiring would be a fourth liner, and that's not where draws are very important. I think what needs to happen, is Joe and Peter just need to practice their ***** off, and get better.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Hmmmm......

I'm kind of glad the rumor mill isn't revolving around the Avalanche this season. I mean, I don't think the team needs to make any big moves. The only thing I think the Avs really need is a 2nd line winger for next season for when Kariya and Selanne depart.

Other than that, I would like to see some old Avs reaquired. Mainly Adam Deadmarsh, Chris Drury, and (I don't see how though) Rick Berry.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Also Sakic doesn't seem to be the same on draws, as he was a couple years ago, when he was one of the best, and Peter was never that great etither. So since we have Forsberg, Sakic, and Niko as our top three centers, and I don't see us replacing Peter or Joe, than the center we would be aquiring would be a fourth liner, and that's not where draws are very important. I think what needs to happen, is Joe and Peter just need to practice their ***** off, and get better.
Jason Krog out of Anaheim is one to think about - great on faceoffs, and especially if Hinote isn't coming back anytime soon. He'd also be a little more reliable/dependable in a playoff situation (rather than counting on FOC's favorite body part on Brad Larsen to be ok).

Closed Thread