HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline hockey wheels and bearings

Old
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Inline hockey wheels and bearings

I have some questions about inline wheels and bearings. I need to buy new wheels and bearings because mine are old and just broke.

If you buy Mission wheels do the bearings have to be Mission too?

And how do you put the bearings in the Wheels?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I have some questions about inline wheels and bearings. I need to buy new wheels and bearings because mine are old and just broke.

If you buy Mission wheels do the bearings have to be Mission too?

And how do you put the bearings in the Wheels?
No, "Mission" wheels do not have to go with "Mission" bearings. In fact, Mission's wheels and bearings are just other brands with their stamp on it -- they don't make wheels or bearings at all.

But some brands of bearings do offer better durability/performance, etc. I'd recommend ceramic bearings, but do ask a friend or the shop about them cause I wouldn't just take the advice of a guy over the internet alone.

And you'll want to check whether you use standard size or micro bearings. This is dependent on the type of wheel the skates have.

To install bearings, you'll want a tool like this http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-RBBT.html cause it has a bearing pusher on it

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
No, "Mission" wheels do not have to go with "Mission" bearings. In fact, Mission's wheels and bearings are just other brands with their stamp on it -- they don't make wheels or bearings at all.

But some brands of bearings do offer better durability/performance, etc. I'd recommend ceramic bearings, but do ask a friend or the shop about them cause I wouldn't just take the advice of a guy over the internet alone.

And you'll want to check whether you use standard size or micro bearings. This is dependent on the type of wheel the skates have.

To install bearings, you'll want a tool like this http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-RBBT.html cause it has a bearing pusher on it

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure my wheels are standard size.

Is there any wheel that is the best or that is better then others?

I'm pretty sure I need 78A hardness. I play outdoors on smooth cement, and I also play at an Indoor rink.

Old
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure my wheels are standard size.

Is there any wheel that is the best or that is better then others?

I'm pretty sure I need 78A hardness. I play outdoors on smooth cement, and I also play at an Indoor rink.
What kind of smooth cement exactly? You'll want to go for something 80A+ there if you want them to last.
As for indoor, what kind of surface is it exactly? I wouldn't recommend using your outdoor wheels there as well unless indoor and outdoor are similar surfaces or you don't mind sliding around a lot.

Old
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Kardi

vCash: 800
for inline wheels the higher the number on the wheel = more wear and tear it can handle?

Im playing indoor if that matters

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi View Post
for inline wheels the higher the number on the wheel = more wear and tear it can handle?

Im playing indoor if that matters

Yes, so 80a is a tougher wheel then 76a, but the higher the number the less grip it has. So you need to find a good balance in-between the two.

Old
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
MikeD

Be sure to also put your wheels back in properly. Some have a different radius on the outside and inside edge of the wheel. The label side should be to the outside of each foot. Dont over tighten your axles. Just snug them up gently or you can strip the axle and reduce wheel spin.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:37 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Some have a different radius on the outside and inside edge of the wheel.
Brand/model?

Old
07-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Still Naive

Unless you weigh over 200 pounds, I would say that using something like 78a on a sport-court surface indoors sucks. I slip in my turns all the time when I have to use that high of a durometer. I'd pick up some softer wheels for indoors and use different wheels when you play outdoors, something harder like 82, as long as you understand you're not going to be able to slide stop very well on outdoor concrete.

Still Naive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
rk50

Just wondering what size wheels most of you use?

I use 76 mm but was considering going smaller. Speed isn't much of an issue but I wanted better cornering/start/stop. I also hate hi/lo so I use all the same size.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
Just wondering what size wheels most of you use?

I use 76 mm but was considering going smaller. Speed isn't much of an issue but I wanted better cornering/start/stop. I also hate hi/lo so I use all the same size.
Hi/lo 72/80. What don't you like about hi/lo? I don't think I could go back to a universal size after I made the switch.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Still Naive

i use vanguard hi-lo (76/80), but i'd consider going to the sprung chassis (probably all 76) if i got a chance to try it out before i made the switch. i have no problems with my hi-lo, and while this is just an example based on personal experience, we recently had a guy on our team that was a fairly fast skater switch from a labeda hum'mr chassis to a vanguard hi-lo, and he noted that he literally felt like he was skating on air because of the difference between the two set-ups. i'd definitely try a sprung because of all the hype, but i'm pretty happy with my vanguard... except for the fact that the boots are the most painful thing in the world still.

Still Naive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
rk50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Hi/lo 72/80. What don't you like about hi/lo? I don't think I could go back to a universal size after I made the switch.
I'm just not a fan of the leaning on a hi/lo. Doesn't feel like I can "dig in" in front of the net (I'm a bit of a crease crasher) as well with them.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote