HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Revamp of Scouting Staff

Old
05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
SwedeSenators

vCash: 500
Revamp of Scouting Staff

Ottawa has never have a strong prospect pool and hasn't had one for a couple of years now and that is what is keeping us down. Look at Detroit and Montreal who have always been winning teams but only found gems and good picks. LA, Chicago, Columbus and Pheonix will soon be true contenders when their prospects develop and Ottawa doesn't have that.

My proposal is too clean house of the Ottawa Senators Scouting Staff. We first need to get experience people that know how to draft. There have been rumors of Randy Lee becoming Director of Player Development but since its not offical I think this would be a good plan.

First we should hire someone that has scouting or front office experience to lead the staff and the name I always loved for this was Dave Taylor. General Manager of La for 9 seasons, he was successful in running the team but he was a good drafter and propose to make him Director of Player Recruitment and Development, same position Trevor Timmins has in Montreal. After that we bring in experience scouts from proffesional to amateur and recreate our scouting so we have a more efficent prospect pool.

SwedeSenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
saf8

I think they have already made changes to the scouting staff since Murray took over as GM. Tim Murray as a bigger role, Brent Flahr and Pierre Dorion were brought in and Jay is gone.

saf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:56 PM
SwedeSenators

Tim Murray is more overlooking the development of the players in Bingo, I would keept Dorion and Flahr but keep give Jays job to Flahr.

Old
05-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

The sad thing is, a few years ago, we had a scouting staff that didn't have to be replaced...

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Sensfanman

It's not the scouting staff, it's the world around it. Up until recently, a lot of the European market was untapped, particularly Sweden and Czechoslovakia and the Sens took advantage with guys like Havlat and Hossa, even Meszaros to an extent. Now everyone knows about them since Detroit (especially now) and Ottawa (to an extent) made such good picks. I think it's time to move on to new places. Switzerland looks very promising and in like 20-25 years, I bet China will yield a lot of hidden gems.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:15 AM
KrazyTea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
It's not the scouting staff, it's the world around it. Up until recently, a lot of the European market was untapped, particularly Sweden and Czechoslovakia and the Sens took advantage with guys like Havlat and Hossa, even Meszaros to an extent. Now everyone knows about them since Detroit (especially now) and Ottawa (to an extent) made such good picks. I think it's time to move on to new places. Switzerland looks very promising and in like 20-25 years, I bet China will yield a lot of hidden gems.
China's is kicking ass at curling now too!! Gotta love the communist government sports funding! They'll pretty much be dominating the NHL in 30 years.

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:54 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Watch out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_League_Ice_Hockey

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:14 AM
SwedeSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Same with Belarus, Latvia and Denmark, but we can only harvest those picks with a good scouting staff.

Old
05-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Spalfredsson

I thought we revamped our scouting staff a couple months ago? Didn't we fire Frank Jay and bring in Tim Murray? How can you say we need to revamp our scouting when we have not even had a single draft with the new scouts we just brought into place...

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Asquaredx2

I think JFJ, terrible as he was as GM, made some great draft picks.

Maybe it's the Leaf scouting staff, maybe it's him, but I would not mind him getting a scouting position with the team, if he's willing.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
SwedeSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speatley View Post
I thought we revamped our scouting staff a couple months ago? Didn't we fire Frank Jay and bring in Tim Murray? How can you say we need to revamp our scouting when we have not even had a single draft with the new scouts we just brought into place...
T Murray wasn't brought in to scout, he was brought in to fix up Bingo and we still don't know if we have Frank Jay or not.

Old
05-31-2008, 12:09 PM
chi001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
China's is kicking ass at curling now too!! Gotta love the communist government sports funding! They'll pretty much be dominating the NHL in 30 years.

they'll pretty much dominate the world in thirty years..

chi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayFan View Post
T Murray wasn't brought in to scout, he was brought in to fix up Bingo and we still don't know if we have Frank Jay or not.
Actually we do: we don't. He's in Montreal now.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:02 PM
SwedeSenators

So we havn't updated our sites yet?

Old
05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
SNAPshot

I think I remember a few months ago, Bryan Murray talking about hiring someone else to put in Europe to assist with scouting. It was before the deadline, either on Team 1200 or in the Sun, but right before we signed Winchester and he was talking about Brunstrom.

I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to scouting. Our lack of prospects is due to finishing high in the standings and because Muckler had less emphasis on recruiting for Bingo and such.

I think we faired alright, considering the fact that Eaves, Meszaros, Lee, Foligno (our last few years of first round picks) are all NHL players.

The Detroit phenomenon is rare, their guys are just amazing. Bryan Murray doesn't have his head in the sand, which is why we were able to sign Winchester and we'll probably have a strong draft this year and hopefully for years to come.

Frank Jay was let go because they didn't have room for him anymore. The Murray's have a lot of experience assembling great teams.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Laoghaire

Wasn't it Murray who hired Hakan Andersson?

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
SwedeSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
Yes he was

Old
06-01-2008, 03:11 PM
N Bahn Ahden

If you want to see the scouting staff that made us such a good drafting team you don't have to look far. Montreal has taken a lot of our top guys from us. I don't think its a coincidence that they draft so well now. Murray still has a lot to prove at the draft table, although he does have a good track record elsewhere.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayFan View Post
Yes he was
Well then I trust Murray more. Hiring Andresson means he is partly responsible for Holmstrom, Zetterberg and half of Detroit's soon to be Stanley Cup winning team.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
SwedeSenators

He was also partly responsible for their '97 and '98 team also.

Old
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
I didn't know Murray had any Swedish relatives.

YellHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
If you want to see the scouting staff that made us such a good drafting team you don't have to look far. Montreal has taken a lot of our top guys from us. I don't think its a coincidence that they draft so well now.
You can also look to St Louis with Jarmo there. Or you can look to wherever Marshall Johnston is now.

YellHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
SwedeSenators

Johnston ended up as Director of Proffesional with Carolina.

Old
06-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Lonnie Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellHockey View Post
I didn't know Murray had any Swedish relatives.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote