HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

I have little respect for the Red Wings

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Master Shake

vCash: 500
I have little respect for the Red Wings

but that 5-3 was disgraceful.I have to give credit to them for being in position. Other than that we just give away the puck routinely.

NHL needs to get rid of the clutch and grab and the trap. I grow more bored with the NHL every year. After talking to other fans who lived throught the glory years of the NHL in the 70-94 era, I am not the only one.

That game was boring. I dont know how anyone can say it was anything other than boring. If you consider excitement to be 'almost getting a shot on goal that probably would have been bad angled and partially blocked' then perhaps you were thrilled.

The penguins have probably had less than 10 actual good shots on goal this series. I blame that on the NHL for its half assed attempt at an obstruction crackdown that it tried for about 3 weeks into the first season after the lockout.

Old
05-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Master Shake

They said we had 23 shots on goal that game. I didnt see it. I saw maybe 5

Old
05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Firebird

Mike Yeo and the powerplay blew it.

What is this moron doing.

It was a 5 on 3 and THEY ABSOLUTLEY REFUSED TO GET THE PUCK IN DEEP two or three times.

Instead they try to be razzle dazzle and skate it east-west across the blue line and blew it everytime. Zetterberg got a nice run that killed time. It's 5-3 you can dump the puck in if they are crowding the blue line and get an amazing chance on net.

They decided to take low percentage shots from the high point on the 5-3 instead of GETTING THE PUCK deep. Of course the shot was blocked.

Seriously way to blow the powerplay and the series, Yeo.

Old
05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Mike Yeo and the powerplay blew it.

What is this moron doing.

It was a 5 on 3 and THEY ABSOLUTLEY REFUSED TO GET THE PUCK IN DEEP two or three times.

Instead they try to be razzle dazzle and skate it east-west across the blue line and blew it everytime. Zetterberg got a nice run that killed time. It's 5-3 you can dump the puck in if they are crowding the blue line and get an amazing chance on net.

They decided to take low percentage shots from the high point on the 5-3 instead of GETTING THE PUCK deep. Of course the shot was blocked.

Seriously way to blow the powerplay and the series, Yeo.

Id seriously fire MT and his staff. I dont give him credit for getting this team to where it is as it SHOULD be here anyways.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:00 PM
JWells16

The thing is, it's basically impossible to ban the trap? I just don't understand how you are supposed to call it.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

You can say what you want about Yeo, the players should be smart enough that when ALL THREE defenders go to the blueline after the face off, you frickin DUMP IT IN and out-number them to the puck/net. A bunch of high schoolers could've figured that out. That was FAIL for everyone on the ice, as well as off it. Don't make excuses for the players. It was pure *****.

And OP: the Red Wings did nothing tonight that deserves anyone's disdain. They weren't dirty, they weren't *****ing, they just played, hung in there and won. Take it like a man....

Old
05-31-2008, 10:01 PM
ThatGuy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Good strategy and coaching shouldn't be banned from the game.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
You can say what you want about Yeo, the players should be smart enough that when ALL THREE defenders go to the blueline after the face off, you frickin DUMP IT IN and out-number them to the puck/net. A bunch of high schoolers could've figured that out. That was FAIL for everyone on the ice, as well as off it. Don't make excuses for the players. It was pure *****.

And OP: the Red Wings did nothing tonight that deserves anyone's disdain. They weren't dirty, they weren't *****ing, they just played, hung in there and won. Take it like a man....
I don't understand what was going through Malkin's head skating east west and why Gonchar was taking retarded shots from the point on the 5-3.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
I like and respect Lidstrom too much to hate the Wings. Their fans aren't really annoying either...you can't really judge them by what goes on on the main board, because most of them seem to be relatively new here.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
The thing is, it's basically impossible to ban the trap? I just don't understand how you are supposed to call it.

I dont know it wouldnt be that easy but it could be done. Perhaps kinda like a zone defense penalty depending on the puck and where the players are bunched at. I saw an idea years ago how to do it that was pretty good but damn if i can remember what it was.

One easy way for certain is to expand the rinks a little and call every obstruction penalty you see until they are trained not to obstruct.

Either way something needs to be done. We have 80 some shots in 4 games and pretty much everyone one of them has been bad shots. Thats a freakin joke for the NHL. The Finals should be the league showcasing itself. Instead we get smothered ice. It sucks.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post

I dont mind losing to better teams. But when I think of how the Pens cup teams or the Oilers or Isles of the 80s would probably lose this series also,it makes me want to puke.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:09 PM
DJ Spinoza

I don't really understand why there has been so much whining about this lately. The Pens obstruct people too. Every team does it in every game. It's a part of today's NHL and I don't think it is a valid crutch for any team to use, or that it is necessarily ruining the game.

It's been cleared up a lot since the lockout, as I think most regular NHL watchers can attest to. There have been exciting games throughout the postseason. Just because the Penguins have been offensively suffocated by a team that has played superior in the finals is not a reason to blame the trap or obstruction.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Found it

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...05-allen_x.htm

RDS' Jacques Demers, former NHL coach

1. Once the puck is dumped into the offensive zone, forwards can't retreat to the neutral zone and wait for the other team to come out. Two must forecheck; the third must be at least 10 feet into the zone. This eliminates the trap.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Henrik Datsyukstrom

Quote:
You do realize that the trap's very foundation is dumping the puck? You also realize that this is the exact opposite of the Wings' game?

Old
05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
I don't really understand why there has been so much whining about this lately. The Pens obstruct people too. Every team does it in every game. It's a part of today's NHL and I don't think it is a valid crutch for any team to use, or that it is necessarily ruining the game.

It's been cleared up a lot since the lockout, as I think most regular NHL watchers can attest to. There have been exciting games throughout the postseason. Just because the Penguins have been offensively suffocated by a team that has played superior in the finals is not a reason to blame the trap or obstruction.

I have already said the penguins style of play is also a disgrace to the sport.
It hasnt been cleaned up any. Its still the same it was ten years ago. Ive been watching this sport for 32+ years. The game is crap now compared to how it used to be.

Oh and take out the instigator.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Datsyukstrom View Post
You do realize that the trap's very foundation is dumping the puck? You also realize that this is the exact opposite of the Wings' game?
The wings sit back with 4-5 on their own blueline and hope for a mistake and oddman rushes the otherway. They trap and its garbage. The Wings used to be a skilled team once upon a time. Now they play trash hockey.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Master Shake

another idea from that link

. Ban forwards from skating backward in the neutral zone

This might sound radical, but it's not much different from outlawing zone defenses in the NBA. At least experiment with it in preseason.

It's difficult to legislate a trapping defense out of the game, but this certainly makes it difficult to trap.

How it would work is that defensemen are allowed to skate backward, but if any of the team's forwards assume a defensive posture through the neutral zone, it would be a bench penalty for illegal defense.

Obviously the use of the term "defensive posture" is needed because there are times when a player could skate backward if he were trying to get himself in a better position for a pass.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
another idea from that link

. Ban forwards from skating backward in the neutral zone

This might sound radical, but it's not much different from outlawing zone defenses in the NBA. At least experiment with it in preseason.

It's difficult to legislate a trapping defense out of the game, but this certainly makes it difficult to trap.

How it would work is that defensemen are allowed to skate backward, but if any of the team's forwards assume a defensive posture through the neutral zone, it would be a bench penalty for illegal defense.

Obviously the use of the term "defensive posture" is needed because there are times when a player could skate backward if he were trying to get himself in a better position for a pass.

Forwards and defenseman aren't defined by NHL rules. It's "skaters" and "goalies".

Old
05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I hate the Wings, but I sure as hell respect them. We have no sound strategy on offense and that's why we're losing. To Michel Therrien's credit, he's done wonders with our defense. Compared to Detroit's defensive lineup, they've played better than they should. Our offense on the other hand is sort of a "fly by the seat of your pants" approach: We just depend on our talent to get us through, and it's gotten us far, but then we run into a system and we're ****ed. I'm not saying that MT needs to be fired, but it's a rude awakening and something that's going to need to be dealt with in the off-season.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Henrik Datsyukstrom

Quote:
The wings sit back with 4-5 on their own blueline and hope for a mistake and oddman rushes the otherway. They trap and its garbage. The Wings used to be a skilled team once upon a time. Now they play trash hockey.
I guess I'll come back when the mood is a little less bitter over here

Old
05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Guillemin

Your thread title is stupid.

How you don't respect a team that has the Norris winner, two nominees for the Selke, statistically the best all-round player in the game this year, and their depth is beyond me.

Or maybe you just used that title to generate traffic to your thread.

Just maybe.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Good strategy and coaching shouldn't be banned from the game.
I agree. Continue to call hooking and obstruction but don't take away a team's ability to use positioning within the rules.

Seriously, has anyone ever seen a system as good as the Wings have? They don't just sit back, but they also forecheck like crazy, and their defensemen pinch. And in their own end, they don't even have to skate, there's always a forward open in the zone along the boards to catch a pass, and then an open forward outside the zone go get it out, then they dump it and they're right on top of our defenseman. It's pretty frustrating!

Old
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Your thread title is stupid.

How you don't respect a team that has the Norris winner, two nominees for the Selke, statistically the best all-round player in the game this year, and their depth is beyond me.

Or maybe you just used that title to generate traffic to your thread.

Just maybe.
I dont respect them because they have a handful of good players and a crappy goalie thats made to look like the second coming of Roy and all because they play trash hockey where they choke the excitement right out of the sport. Its garbage and Im sick of it.For the record its NOT because the Penguisn are losing either. Ive always hated the trap with a deep passion.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Jacob

The Penguins play the trap. Just not as effectively as the Wings.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
I dont respect them because they have a handful of good players and a crappy goalie thats made to look like the second coming of Roy and all because they play trash hockey where they choke the excitement right out of the sport. Its garbage and Im sick of it.For the record its NOT because the Penguisn are losing either. Ive always hated the trap with a deep passion.
Trap=Stanley Cup. It's that simple. Every Stanley Cup winners in the last decade won the Cup by trapping, get used to it.

Closed Thread