HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

congrats jason labarbera

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
congrats jason labarbera

10th shutout of the season, ahl record...

4-0 win over philly...garth murray with 2 goals, dusablon & larose both scored on a major pp

Old
02-13-2004, 08:57 PM
True Blue

Too bad he looks like a future Ken Gernander. Great in the AHL, can't do a lick in the NHL.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:22 PM
rickyrod

to stray from the topic a little, did Tjutin play in hartford tonight?

but, yes congrats to jason. i wish we had a defensive corps so he didnt get killed everytime he had to fill in on the big club.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:30 PM
NYR469

no tyutin didn't play

Old
02-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Too bad he looks like a future Ken Gernander. Great in the AHL, can't do a lick in the NHL.
hey guys, I'm new to the board (and boards in general i suppose). i was just wondering if labarbera has actually been given a decent shot in the nhl, or whether his ken gernander comparison can be attributed to the rangers terrible development system? it just seems like with him so hot in hartford, and dunham so cold in new york, it would have made sense to give him at least a start or two to shake things up.

by the way, i live in boston and don't often get a chance to watch games (god i got ripped by boston fans during the recent home and home), so please forgive me if i make a comment based on stats that sounds stupid. i'll do my best to be objective.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:14 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
i was just wondering if labarbera has actually been given a decent shot in the nhl, or whether his ken gernander comparison can be attributed to the rangers terrible development system?
he hasnt really ben given a shot. he's only played in 3 games, 2 of which he was not the starter. he's allowed 7 goals in one start(avalance) and one second period(ottawa, when we got shelled)...though, im not so sure i'd fault him on too many of those 7 goals.
he also had a 2 min minor for covering the puck outside of the crease.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
hey guys, I'm new to the board (and boards in general i suppose). i was just wondering if labarbera has actually been given a decent shot in the nhl, or whether his ken gernander comparison can be attributed to the rangers terrible development system? it just seems like with him so hot in hartford, and dunham so cold in new york, it would have made sense to give him at least a start or two to shake things up.

by the way, i live in boston and don't often get a chance to watch games (god i got ripped by boston fans during the recent home and home), so please forgive me if i make a comment based on stats that sounds stupid. i'll do my best to be objective.
This year is the first time LaBarbera is dominating in the AHL and also the first time he's become the go-to goalie at that level. And he wasn't even supposed to be the starter. So on one level, he's made a breakthrough in his professional career, but is that enough to earn him a shot in the NHL? Honestly, I don't think so. There are plenty of goalies in the AHL who have very good, even dominate careers there (Labbe being a prime example) but are never good enough to get more than a few starts in the NHL. And there are goalies that kick around for years there before getting a real chance--Hedberg comes to mind here.

Old
02-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Janerixon

Gonzo was excellent last nite, however he is not going to ever be given a fair shot in the pro's at least not on the rangers

the guy is a product of the system, the wolfpack is playing excellent defensive hockey, labarbera has been very good but on an nhl team i dont think he would be as effective

the guy really reminds me of kirk mclean with his size and the fact he basically plays a stand up goalies game and sometimes uses the butterfly techniques, but he is not a modern day nhl goalie

with this being said on a team like the devils or wild that plays a trapping system he could be an effective goalie but not in NY

some other things ive noticed about him are he is very good with his rebound control, he always steers them to the corners or at least the sides and he likes to get involved and take chances

last nite he was in a scrum with PJ stock because stock bumped him, he was trying to punch PJ with his gloves on, and hey it was nice to see a goalie get into it

what really suprised me last nite was the play of nycholat, he was by far the best defensemen out there overall, he makes good decisions and got boarded by ian Mcneil (who was a bit taller than him) and nycholat challenged him and clearly won the fight landing more punches, getting mcneil's jersey over his head and finishing with a takedown on a bigger player

i really liked the way nycholat played and he may be a decent 5-6 guy one day, that we will have to wait and see, moore and murray were the other standouts of the game

moore had a great pass for dusablon to chip in and score on the PP and murray had 2 goals and a fight

Closed Thread