HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lets Welcome our Newest 2004 Draft Eligible

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 02:36 PM
TKLOOCH22

vCash: 500
Lets Welcome our Newest 2004 Draft Eligible

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

This is an interview from an article with Roman Tesliuk, a defenseman that is eligible for this years draft. Before I got to the second to last question I was thinking that this kid might be someone the Rangers should take a look at. And what do you know?

HF: "Talking about the 2004 National Hockey League Entry Draft, youíre ranked very high, 22nd among North American skaters. Do you have any expectations for an event like this? Is there any added pressure on you?"
RT: "Yeah, I have the draft this year. Iím not nervous at all, no stress. Iím confident. I was talking to the New York Rangers before you came, just a few minutes ago, and they said they saw what they liked in practice and in the game, and they like my game."

He's around 6'1'' 191 lbs. Seems like he could be a Tjutin-esque pick in the second round this June.

Old
02-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yeah, not a bad 2nd rounder. In the first round i'd like to get either a big time D-man or a potential #1 or 2 Center. Hopefully TLB holds onto the picks, lord knows we need them.

Right now i'm leaning towards this player around the #9 spot in the draft - Boris Valabik - 6'6 Slovakian playing in the OHL, likes to play NA style. Would be future blueline partner of last years 2nd rounder Ivan Baranka, who's also Slovakian.

Old
02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Yeah, not a bad 2nd rounder. In the first round i'd like to get either a big time D-man or a potential #1 or 2 Center. Hopefully TLB holds onto the picks, lord knows we need them.

Right now i'm leaning towards this player around the #9 spot in the draft - Boris Valabik - 6'6 Slovakian playing in the OHL, likes to play NA style. Would be future blueline partner of last years 2nd rounder Ivan Baranka, who's also Slovakian.
No way I take him #9 overall. No way.

Old
02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Hankenstein

I'm hoping for an all out collapse for the rest of the way that puts us in a position to get Cam Barker.

If they continue to suck enough not to make the playoffs, but don't suck bad enough to get in the top 6 I'm hoping for Green.

Old
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
barnaby63

How about we trade most of our players for the most value we can get including picks/prospects and in the off-season trade a 2004 1st, 2004 3rd and 2005 3rd for Pittsburgh's 1st rounder this year and draft Ovechkin?

I can dream, cant I?

Old
02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
True Blue

The #1 pick HAS to be the biggest, nastiest defenseman out there. If such a player is lower than our potential pick, then trade down and pick up more picks. Can't just go for the best player available. We desperately need a nasty crease-clearer.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The #1 pick HAS to be the biggest, nastiest defenseman out there. If such a player is lower than our potential pick, then trade down and pick up more picks. Can't just go for the best player available. We desperately need a nasty crease-clearer.

Barker's been compaired to Scott Stevens and Green is pretty nasty from what I hear.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:37 PM
NYR469

Quote:
we desparately need EVERYTHING...we need a top 6 forward and franchise player just as much as we need a big tough dman

i'd LOVE to get barker, but if you had a chance to get ovechkin and passed on him to get barker than you'd be by far the dumbest man on the planet

Old
02-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
we desparately need EVERYTHING...we need a top 6 forward and franchise player just as much as we need a big tough dman

i'd LOVE to get barker, but if you had a chance to get ovechkin and passed on him to get barker than you'd be by far the dumbest man on the planet

I wouldn't pass on Ovechkin but I think our needs at D greatly outweigh our needs at forward.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Fitzlax99

Quote:
Desperately need him? why? So we can make the playoffs next year or the year after that? For Blackburns sake?

Anything other than a goalie or small offensive-minded defenseman will make me happy.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzlax99
Desperately need him? why? So we can make the playoffs next year or the year after that? For Blackburns sake?
Because that's the single biggest glaring weakness on our team. And that's saying something considering just how bad we are as a team overall.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Because that's the single biggest glaring weakness on our team. And that's saying something considering just how bad we are as a team overall.
you do realize draft picks don't normally play for a few years. the rangers may pick as high as 6th they should just draft the best player

Old
02-13-2004, 11:35 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
you do realize draft picks don't normally play for a few years. the rangers may pick as high as 6th they should just draft the best player
Disagree. In this day and age, its very rare that you can pick up a cornerstone defenseman through trade or free agency. If you wanna build a solid defense core, you gotta do it through the draft, or at least acquire them when they're young. Just look at how the Devils have done it: Daneyko, Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, White, and now they're starting to bring up Hale and Martin. And now look at the Rangers defense and tell me how many were here 5 years ago. Just one, Brian Leetch. So its no surprise that the Devils are a far superior defensive hockey team.

I think its far easier to acquire solid forwards than it is to acquire top defensemen. Regardless of whether defense is still a major problem in a few years, and by the looks of it it will be, the Rangers need to start building their team around goaltending and defense because thats what wins hockey games nowadays. Thats the way New Jersey has done it, and thats the team I want the Rangers to model. The goaltending seems to be in solid shape with Blackburn, Lundqvist and perhaps LaBarbera. But currently, the only legitimate defense prospect we have is Tjutin. Guys like Taylor and Baranka are nice, but its too early to tell what their real potential is. So if you have a chance to pick up a guy like Barker or Green, I dont care what else is out there because this team needs young defense in the worst way.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Fitzlax99

Quote:
Because that's the single biggest glaring weakness on our team.
I'm not arguing that a D-first defenseman, or a "crease clearer", is a glaring weakness. It is, both on the current Rangers team, and with their prospects.

But defenseman of that type are just as easily picked up in the 3-5 rounds (if not later) as in the mid/late 1st- early 2nd round.

Our first pick should be the best player available...as long as its not a goalie, or any type of D man who resembles Tom Poti.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

This is an interview from an article with Roman Tesliuk, a defenseman that is eligible for this years draft. Before I got to the second to last question I was thinking that this kid might be someone the Rangers should take a look at. And what do you know?

HF: "Talking about the 2004 National Hockey League Entry Draft, youíre ranked very high, 22nd among North American skaters. Do you have any expectations for an event like this? Is there any added pressure on you?"
RT: "Yeah, I have the draft this year. Iím not nervous at all, no stress. Iím confident. I was talking to the New York Rangers before you came, just a few minutes ago, and they said they saw what they liked in practice and in the game, and they like my game."

He's around 6'1'' 191 lbs. Seems like he could be a Tjutin-esque pick in the second round this June.
That Tesliuk guy reminds me another 6'1 190 lbs defenseman from Murmansk who was also known for his physical style. Detroit's Konstantinov ring the bell? Very nasty, even dirty, great hitter and agitator. And he never had a "-" season in NHL. Of course Roman is only 18 and it's too early to tell, just couldn't help myself. Used to love Detroit's #16. Oh yeah, Konstantinov was also raised by Tikhonov at Red Army.

Old
02-14-2004, 08:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
In this day and age, its very rare that you can pick up a cornerstone defenseman through trade or free agency. If you wanna build a solid defense core, you gotta do it through the draft,
Exactly. Who cares that our draft pick will not play for a few years? The point is that those type of defensemen don't grow on trees. Why not draft him and stash him to learn for a few years?

"But defenseman of that type are just as easily picked up in the 3-5 rounds (if not later) as in the mid/late 1st- early 2nd round"

They may be available, but by and large not the really good ones. Your crease clearer from the early first round will probably be an all-around good player. Hits along the boards, clears the crease, and skates well. The ones that you are getting in rounds 3-5 (especially in a weak draft year) will not be as good. Maybe they clear the crease but their skating resembles Dale Purinton. Or they skate well and hit along the boards, but cannot clear the crease. If we have a top 10 pick and the best crease-clearer is not until latter on in the fist round, then it is better to trade down, acquire more picks and trade for something this org has lacked ever since Beuk retired.

"Very nasty, even dirty, great hitter and agitator. "

If this Tesliuk is anything like that description, I have no problem investing an early (which is where our drafting postition will be) 2nd round pick for him, providing off course that he warrants a top 2 round pick. But, yeah, that's a description that I am looking for when it comes to Ranger drafting defensemen.

Closed Thread