HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th Overall Pick - Who Will the Blues Choose?

View Poll Results: Who in your opinion will St. Louis select 4th overall?
Alex Pietrangelo 28 66.67%
Nikita Filatov 6 14.29%
Luke Schenn 3 7.14%
Tyler Myers 0 0%
Cody Hodgson 0 0%
Kyle Beach 0 0%
Mikkel Boedker 3 7.14%
Colin Wilson 0 0%
Zac Boychuk 0 0%
Other 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2008, 01:29 AM
  #1
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
4th Overall Pick - Who Will the Blues Choose?

Hah, that rhymed.

Hey guys, Canucks fan here - I'm interested in seeing who may or may not be available a few picks down in the draft here, and I figure the leased biased mock draft I'd be able to put together to determine that would involve input from the fans of the teams making the picks. Here is what I have so far:

1st - Stamkos (no poll, I just assumed)
2nd - Doughty (50 votes, next player had 18)
3rd - Bogosian (10 votes, next player had 3)

Next is St. Louis. Given the above are the top three picks in ths 2008 draft, who do you think the St. Louis Blues will select?

I will go through the thread and count any votes for 'other' that I see and include them in the totals.

Thanks for your input!

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:30 AM
  #2
cantskate
Registered User
 
cantskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the ice
Country: United States
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
Blues need scoring, so I'd say Filatov. Risky pick given the situation with the Russ. Hocke Fed. though. Wonder if this will become more common with other countries, since they are all backing out of the transfer agreement now.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:30 AM
  #3
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 500
I said itwill be Pietrangelo, as The Blues really need a puck-carrying/offensive defenceman, and there are risks in taking Filatov. I don't think they'll take Bødker at #4, nor do I think they make a trade to move down to take him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:14 PM
  #4
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
I think Pieterangelo will be the pick there. If they go forward with the pick I think it will be Boedeker. Beach intreagues the hell out of me personally but you cannot take a risk on him at #4

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
  #5
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Pieterangelo, then Schenn, in that order, are the BPA's at #4 IMO.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM
  #6
Blues077
Registered User
 
Blues077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Pietrangelo all the way.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
  #7
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,711
vCash: 50
I think one of the two teams not named Tampa Bay will draft Pie. If so, we draft Bogo because the other will be Doughty.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:21 PM
  #8
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantskate View Post
Blues need scoring, so I'd say Filatov.
Teams don't draft on need. The Blues most certainly don't.

I can all but guarantee we won't take Filatov.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
  #9
CuSa_1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
No Doughty for me

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
  #10
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
I'm holding out hope that Doughty or Bogosian makes it to us. If not, give me Pie, Filatov, or maybe Schenn.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
  #11
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,711
vCash: 50
If say its goes Stamkos Doughty and Bogo. I'd pick Pie, Boedker, Schenn, and then Filatov.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:30 AM
  #12
Plagers4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
The Blues are overwhelmingly likely to pick whoever is left among the Big Three Defensemen. Given the assumptions you provided with the first three chosen, I'd say the Blues have a 99% chance of selecting Alex Pietrangelo and a 1% chance of selecting Mikkel Boedker.

After Stamkos, my guess is the Blues rank them Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Boedker, Schenn.

Plagers4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
  #13
ButtersBlues
 
ButtersBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
It's going to be Pietrangelo.
I'm not calling him "Pie" though... sounds fruity. I'm calling him "Pete".

ButtersBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
  #14
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 714
I'd say Pietrangelo although maybe Schenn is sneaking in there. I've seen comments from the team that they like Schenn....so it wouldn't surprise me, although I'd rather have a more offensive-minded guy rather than a line-mate for EJ at this point.

I like to fantasize about Filatov being the pick and coming over and turning into Ovechkin....but I know that's not the smart pick. Unless Jarmo sees something special.

Also, if Doughty or Bogosian are still there for some crazy reason, its a no-brainer.

Boedker is a good pick, but not for the Blues at the 4 spot.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
  #15
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Well with less than two hours left it's pretty safe to say that Filatov won't be picking up twenty something votes to beat out Pietrangelo as St. Louis' pick.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:43 AM
  #16
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Based on what I know about the prospects, I'd like to see the Blues draft Filatov (but I think I'll be happy with anybody - this is going to be an awesome draft).

Based on what I know about the Blues, I think they'll draft whichever of the top three defenders drops to them in the order of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Bogosian. I'm not even sure about that order, the difference amongst the three could come down to a single interview question.

Months ago, when I only knew a few names being tossed around for the 2008 draft and not much else, I dreamt that they drafted Pietrangelo and he made the team out of training camp. That is worth absolutely nothing, but it was a fun dream and I thought I'd mention it.

And as much as we've heard that Doughty is a lock for #2, it's really not out of the question that it goes Stamkos, Bogosian, Filatov and Doughty is left to the Blues. After Stamkos, spots two to five or six are crazy. So, of the players likely to be available, it seems like Pietrangelo is the guy. But don't be surprised if the Blues get a shot at Doughty, Bogosian, or both.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  #17
McLovin21
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Teams don't draft on need. The Blues most certainly don't.

I can all but guarantee we won't take Filatov.
as an isles fan, i'm curious as to why you say that. personally, i would be thrilled if filatov drops to the isles at 5.

McLovin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
  #18
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin21 View Post
as an isles fan, i'm curious as to why you say that. personally, i would be thrilled if filatov drops to the isles at 5.
I dont know why IB said we wouldn take Filatov, he and all Russian players scare me on draft day because of the trouble you can have getting them over here. Later on in the draft I would be more likely to go with a Russian you cannot afford that risk with a #4 pick.

Also and this is just me, because of the money paid in European pro leagues and the fact that I personally believe that North American Kids have more passion about the Stanley cup, IF MY SCOUTS TELL ME THE TALENT LEVEL IS CLOSE I WOULD ALWAYS GO WITH THE NORTH AMERICAN KID.

There are of variables to this if the kid from Europe is the next Ovechkin you take him, if the kid was trained in the North American junior leagues he isnt any different than a North American kid and you take him.

If he was trained in the European junior leagues that is a red flag to me on draft day and you have to be very carefull and if you have a North American kid rated close you should take him.

I know full well that some kids that were trained over there sign quickly Ie Bergland and Eller and I would miss out on some kids doing this but the Blues have also had some european kids drag up on them as well.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
  #19
Brandur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Pietrangelo's nickname used to be "Pie", but then his team mates started calling him "Hairy". I wonder if they were insinuating something.

Brandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:45 PM
  #20
blueshead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Teams don't draft on need. The Blues most certainly don't.

I can all but guarantee we won't take Filatov.

Irish, can't agree more that the Blues are not going to pick based on need, but find it interesting that it seems everyone defaults to one of the dmen as BPA and a lot of the folks stating this are the same ones pounding the 'need an offensive dman and all are problems are solved' drum (not lumping anyone in particular in this group). Is your 'guarantee' based on anything but your read of the situation? C'mon give us the inside scoop...

I say that we will go for the modified BPA because if we look at a consensus of the scouting services as a proxy for the fact that we are not on the inside of the Blues scouting department, you'd be hard pressed to say Filatov is not in the top 4 and most are putting him at #2. My prediction is we will go for one of the dmen in this order Doughty, Bogey or Pie, (though Pie is the wildcard) but it won't be a purely BPA move. We will not select Filatov because of the perceived risk associated with the Russian. If he was a Canadian it would be a no brainer. I still hope that this is not the reason but see it as being really hard for JD and Co to stomach the risk to do it. But my vote here is all Filatov, because I think he will be available at number 4 and will be the BPA.

On a related note does anybody have a read (or a link) on the results of the combine, have not really had a chance to read up on what everyone has been saying.

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:54 PM
  #21
blueshead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
.....all Russian players scare me on draft day because of the trouble you can have getting them over here....

Not picking on you Carp, (well I guess I am but just because you are the one that is stating it in this thread), but I don't understand why you keep hearing this. I can't think of one player who is/was an NHL caliber player that isn't over here. Sure you have all the guys who can't cut it, regardless of where they were drafted, but its not because they are Russian. It is because they simply aren't good enough. And that goes for any European, heck it is the same for Canadians.

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
  #22
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
Not picking on you Carp, (well I guess I am but just because you are the one that is stating it in this thread), but I don't understand why you keep hearing this. I can't think of one player who is/was an NHL caliber player that isn't over here. Sure you have all the guys who can't cut it, regardless of where they were drafted, but its not because they are Russian. It is because they simply aren't good enough. And that goes for any European, heck it is the same for Canadians.
I still think they are are bigger risk because of the money they can make back home and if the players were close in talent I am going with a North American kid.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
  #23
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I still think they are are bigger risk because of the money they can make back home and if the players were close in talent I am going with a North American kid.
Totally agree here, Carp. It is not an anti-Euro sentiment, just common, simple economics.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:22 PM
  #24
blueshead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I still think they are are bigger risk because of the money they can make back home and if the players were close in talent I am going with a North American kid.
Have to agree that all things being equal you go with the N American kid. But that is the same as with any European skater. The question then becomes how much of a difference in skill is required to overcome that bias. Does Filatov cover that gap?

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:24 AM
  #25
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I still think they are are bigger risk because of the money they can make back home and if the players were close in talent I am going with a North American kid.
Even if the player expresses a strong desire to play in the NHL even if it means going through the CHL or AHL? Alex Radulov is a prime example. He wanted to play in the NHL by any means necessary, so he left Russia and played in QC for two years. He even played several games in Milwaukee before he got called up to Nashville. Filatov has expressed that same desire, and he even said he plans to be playing in North America next season, whether it be the NHL or the AHL.

Of course, discussion with Filatov is probably moot because I doubt he gets past the top 3, but I'm just saying that there are and will likely continue to be a number of exceptions to your line of thinking.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.