HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

SJ and CBJ deal

Old
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

vCash: 500
Marleau + Carle is what seems to make the most sense, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see it being Marleau + Seto...

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy View Post
well cheers to that. Mods can we get a merge?
Done.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
Marleau + Carle is what seems to make the most sense, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see it being Marleau + Seto...
Would the Sharks do that?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Would the Sharks do that?
I think the Sharks would absolutely trade the Marleau/Carle package as it frees up plenty of space for Campbell. With Pavelski progressing as he has and Couture not too many years away, the Sharks would be a much more balanced team if the combined salary of those two was spent elsewhere (the blueline).
Now if Wilson was still the coach I think the Sharks would be much more willing to trade Seto. However, I think that whoever is the new blood behind the bench in San Jose probably wants to see what he can really become.

Edit: I realize that I am kinda contradicting might last post but... I guess I'm not entirely sure either...

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
HockeyThoughts
Fire #CarlYOLO

vCash: 1550
Carle + Marleau for Zherdev + 6th is my guess.

Carle is an offensive D-man with great upside who just needs a really good coach (Hitchcock) to put him back on track.

Marleau is a #1 center, captain material that the Blue Jackets sorely need to play with their franchise winger.

Zherdev is young winger with loads of offensive potential finally getting his act together..A year with defensively responsible and awesome passers Thornton and Michalek would do wonders.

The 6th pick is one of the best to have in years. Your guaranteed a star in your farm.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Zherdev is a playmaker; it is highly unlikely that he meshes with Thornton. He is much better suited playing with a shooter like Joe Pavelski on the second line.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
HockeyThoughts
Fire #CarlYOLO

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Zherdev is a playmaker; it is highly unlikely that he meshes with Thornton. He is much better suited playing with a shooter like Joe Pavelski on the second line.
From what I've seen thats not entirely true. He is great in 1 on 1 battles and I've noticed he tends to shoot if he sees a good opportunity, and he usually nets it.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:59 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
From what I've seen thats not entirely true. He is great in 1 on 1 battles and I've noticed he tends to shoot if he sees a good opportunity, and he usually nets it.

he is a better playmaker. doesnt mean he does it enough. but, imo, thats his best skill.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
BoG was right. Z's much more of a playmaker than a sniper. He can shoot, no doubt about that. But he sets up his teammates beautifully. If he had been passing to someone better than Jason Chimera, he would have had at least 15 more assists.

Also, he shot wide/over the net much more than he should have this season.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Hale The Villain

This is great, a deal where both teams actually benift from equally

And the Spezza rumor is dead because of this!!!

PS. You do you think San Jose will take with the 6th if given the chance? I think it will be Mikkel Boedker

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

San Jose wins this

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Hainsey is supposedly hitting the UFA market so I could see player X being Carle to help Columbus on the point on their PP.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

If this is true, I think it says a lot about what CBJ management really think of Zherdev and/or the ability to resign him.

Yeah, Columbus needs a center, but I still think they're dealing from the strength since SJ seems intent on moving Marleau sooner rather than later. Given that, this seems like an overpayment from Columbus.

That or we've been overrating Zherdev and the #6.
Probably isn't that though.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
voxel

Carle is overrated and was scratched in a few too many games to my liking. It's his salary that is the killer.

Columbus takes on $9.5M/yr in salary and trades away $3.25M/yr.

If player X is Setoguchi, the Blue Jackets win this trade.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Columbus needs that centre badly. I say it's a good deal for both teams if it is Carle going back or anyone of that nature.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Carle is overrated and was scratched in a few too many games to my liking. It's his salary that is the killer.

Columbus takes on $9.5M/yr in salary and trades away $3.25M/yr.

If player X is Setoguchi, the Blue Jackets win this trade.
Carle has pretty awesome potential, though. Writing him off so early would be a mistake.

He's is awfully expensive for what he brings right now, however.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

surprisingly, this trade does make sense to me and I wouldn't see it as a "steal" for either team. Marleau will return to form as the #1 center in Columbus. On a line with Nash and Modin he will put up star numbers. The salary dump works in SJ's favor but Cls has room. In terms of players and value going in either direction, it's about equal.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Jake5

It's a fair deal that makes sense for both teams, but I'm sad to see the Sharks trade away Marleau...his salary is too much though, especially if they want to lock up Campbell

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Hopper15

I can definitely see this trade happening soon. Marleau+Carle for 6th Pick and Zherdev is good value for both sides.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Carle has pretty awesome potential, though. Writing him off so early would be a mistake.

He's is awfully expensive for what he brings right now, however.
Meh... I guess I don't see it in any Sharks games I've seen and from a quick check, he scored 8 of his 11 goals in 06-07 on the PP and 25 out of his 42 points on the PP.

The Sharks had a wicked PP that year and a crappy one this year. Generally the Sharks were poor offensively across the board until Campbell arrived.

I'm sure the Sharks would be very happy to shed themselves of an underwhelming players... actually two of them: Marleau and Carle.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
OrrNumber4

Carle has been in a terrible environment development-wise. But he has the potential to be the top-scoring defenseman in the league. Quenville compared him to Brian Leetch and Carlyle to Niedermayer.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Someone

Honestly, I think this deal would favour SJS. I'd say that Marleau and Zherdev are fairly close in value. Both have some question marks , but Zherdev is coming off of a better season, is younger, and cheaper (although with only one year left). I'd maybe give a slight edge to Zherdev because of these things, but it's damn close. This brings it down to Carle vs. the 6th overall pick. Carle is more proven, and more ready, but whoever is chosen with the pick will likely have more upside. Considering Carle was so inconsistent this past season, and has such a big contract, the pick has much more value.

While Columbus may say they're in a win now mode, I don't see this deal doing enough for them to give up such a big part of their future. Swap the 6th with the 19th, and perhaps some spare parts from Columbus and I could see this making sense, but I don't think Marleau+Carle is enough for Zherdev and the 6th.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Payaso619*

Zherdev being assisted by Thornton is a scary thought.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
OrrNumber4

The X could also be Kyle McLaren...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
fr4ed2384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
Honestly, I think this deal would favour SJS. I'd say that Marleau and Zherdev are fairly close in value. Both have some question marks , but Zherdev is coming off of a better season, is younger, and cheaper (although with only one year left). I'd maybe give a slight edge to Zherdev because of these things, but it's damn close. This brings it down to Carle vs. the 6th overall pick. Carle is more proven, and more ready, but whoever is chosen with the pick will likely have more upside. Considering Carle was so inconsistent this past season, and has such a big contract, the pick has much more value.

While Columbus may say they're in a win now mode, I don't see this deal doing enough for them to give up such a big part of their future. Swap the 6th with the 19th, and perhaps some spare parts from Columbus and I could see this making sense, but I don't think Marleau+Carle is enough for Zherdev and the 6th.
I don't think SJ is looking for any spare parts they have plenty already ..
There are very few 1st line or potential 1st line centers available and SJ probably could make several other deals for Marleau and, I expect , there are other teams in a strrong need of one that they would take the gamble that Marleau will return to form and the contract is only for 2 years anyway..

fr4ed2384 is offline   Reply With Quote