HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James murphy article about quebec city and the nords

Old
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
James murphy article about quebec city and the nords

great article by our friends James Murphy

check it out and for god sake bettman bring back the nords!!!!!!

http://insidehockey.com/columns/1743

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
great article by our friends James Murphy

check it out and for god sake bettman bring back the nords!!!!!!

http://insidehockey.com/columns/1743
this is not about bettman.

nobody of the current 30 owners has tried to move their franchise in quebec since the nords left and as we talk, nobody built a new arena for quebec and tried to obtain a franchise for the city.

what we know is that
-yes, there are some groups that are currently working on projects about bringing back a team in quebec;
-the population is very interested
-the mayor/provincial government have already announced they would financially help if someone wanted to build a new arena.

so, we can say blame bettman for this or that but the current situation in quebec has little to do with him. though, i think we'll get a better idea of the current situation of quebec when the league decides to expand the league to 32 teams... we'll first see is one of the group from quebec is ready to make an offer, a bid and if it's serious... if a serious bid is made and it includes a new arena, i think there are very good chances we get a team.

as for a team being relocated in quebec, i don't really believe it... unless a quebecois group or balsilie buy a franchise, move the team to quebec and build a new arena (with probably the help from city/govs)... but that's very unlikely to happen IMO.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

One thing that may work in favor of quebec city and winnipeg is that paul kelly, the nhlpa big boss has been on records for a while now that he want team back in canada. Since team in canada bring more revenue and since the nhl & nhlpa have a "partnership", its obvious the nhlpa and paul kelly want more team in canada

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:24 AM
GNick42

Truthfully, I think a team should go to either Winnipeg or Golden Horseshoe area before Quebec City. I was there two summers ago...not much finanically on the go

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Pascal

Winnipeg AND QC should get their team back. It always makes me puke a bit inside when I see places like Nashville having a team but hockey hotbeds like those cities not having any..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Truthfully, I think a team should go to either Winnipeg or Golden Horseshoe area before Quebec City. I was there two summers ago...not much finanically on the go
And can I ask what you did here? Tourist? How can you judge financial success? It's a pretty funny statement.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
And can I ask what you did here? Tourist? How can you judge financial success? It's a pretty funny statement.
I was there on business...if any Canadian city deserves a team it would be Golden Horseshoe area. Quebec City has the passion for the game but would be another small market team. If they had somebody like Ballisie step in and build a new arena...now that's a different scenario. But see little chance of that happening. Where's the business and finances there? To support such a move. It paled to North York/Guleph/Miss/Hamilton areas,

Old
06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
SOLR

Quote:
I was there on business...if any Canadian city deserves a team it would be Golden Horseshoe area. Quebec City has the passion for the game but would be another small market team. If they had somebody like Ballisie step in and build a new arena...now that's a different scenario. But see little chance of that happening. Where's the business and finances there? To support such a move. It paled to North York/Guleph/Miss/Hamilton areas,
Your right on the golden horseshoe, but characterizing QC financial status as poor is quite misleading these days, particularly in the Quebec sub climate where corporations are creatures of the province not the city.

Quebec City as been the major player in the province economic growth in the last 5 years. One's only have to look at Boul. Laurier these days to see what I'm talking about. That being said, Montreal will pick it up soon, the Montreal region just need a new focus and I think they are finding it in Marketing services.

Anyway, even Montreal needed an American rich guy to own the habs, I don't see why a guy like Balsillie would be unlikely in times where Canadian franchises are pretty easy to sell on a business plan.(And with a business oriented mayor in Quebec City for the first time in 20 years)

Old
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's all about getting a new arena. Once you do that you won't have a problem with bringing a team or ownership issue-what does it cost for a team, 130 million? you put three top owners on the case and it would be easily affordable.

Even getting an arena is not as hard as it sounds. The Province of Quebec recently spent a 150 Million for a new Library. For a new arena it would coust maybe what 250 Million? There's no reasons why the goverment couldn't get that. Especially since a hockey team would generate money and creat a lot of job, compared to a damn Library. What makes me mad it's that when it's about art the goverments do not even think about it and spend and spend but when it's about popular culture especially sport it's always harder.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Yeah, but that wasn't just some library with 23 copies of My Pet Goat in it.

It's a national library, with HUMONGOUS archives and an insane amount of documents.

I have nothing against it.

And nothing against a new Colisée either.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

"I still remember the faces in the corners that were here every season and every game,” Goulet said. “You would see these people around town too. Everyone treated us as one of their own. From the restaurants, to the bars to the market, we all knew each other and we were playing for them. That was a great feeling!”

I've never been a Nordiques fan but isn't that cool? That's what it feels like playing for a team in your hometown. Lecavalier would be treated like God himself in Montreal.

Old
06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Yeah, but that wasn't just some library with 23 copies of My Pet Goat in it.

It's a national library, with HUMONGOUS archives and an insane amount of documents.

I have nothing against it.

And nothing against a new Colisée either.
Point taken. But it's always easier for these guys to finance art and intellecutal things than sport.

Old
06-02-2008, 11:55 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Your right on the golden horseshoe, but characterizing QC financial status as poor is quite misleading these days, particularly in the Quebec sub climate where corporations are creatures of the province not the city.

Quebec City as been the major player in the province economic growth in the last 5 years. One's only have to look at Boul. Laurier these days to see what I'm talking about. That being said, Montreal will pick it up soon, the Montreal region just need a new focus and I think they are finding it in Marketing services.

Anyway, even Montreal needed an American rich guy to own the habs, I don't see why a guy like Balsillie would be unlikely in times where Canadian franchises are pretty easy to sell on a business plan.(And with a business oriented mayor in Quebec City for the first time in 20 years)
If you want to make money in Canada...going with my 20 years experience...Quebec and eastern Canada is the last place I would go. Just isn't the money there. They may have improved like SOLR says but still far behind most of Canada. Everything is to the west. The further west ya go the better. I dabble in real estate as a sideline...a little over 2 years ago I bought a house in Regina for $137,000. On credit, stayed periodically with traveling but never lived there full time...sold it in May, 2008...for $289,000. Made $150,000 in 2 years on it. It's just crazy out there....money everywhere...

Old
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
SOLR

Quote:
If you want to make money in Canada...going with my 20 years experience...Quebec and eastern Canada is the last place I would go. Just isn't the money there. They may have improved like SOLR says but still far behind most of Canada. Everything is to the west. The further west ya go the better. I dabble in real estate as a sideline...a little over 2 years ago I bought a house in Regina for $137,000. On credit, stayed periodically with traveling but never lived there full time...sold it in May, 2008...for $289,000. Made $150,000 in 2 years on it. It's just crazy out there....money everywhere...
http://www.pole-qca.ca/entreprises/e...3-Radar_en.pdf

You don't need to have a dominating economy to have a hockey team. The HF boards standards...

BTW. The costs for a new team will be around 550m$(300m arena and 250m$ franchise) I'm pretty sure nobody will have to spend that much with all the existing financing options.

Old
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Point taken. But it's always easier for these guys to finance art and intellecutal things than sport.
I'm pretty furious about this as well, the culture lobby as gone way to far. It's time to realize that hockey is part of our culture.

Old
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Thanks for reading

Thanks for reading and discussing everyone. This is what Quebec needs! Tons of chatter and buzz. Sooner or later some big shot businessman will realize the potential for success there and that he could be a God bringing back a team to Quebec!

As for the economy, it is getting better from everyone I spoke to up there. I'm going to look more into this and do a follow-up later in the summer.

Enjoy the game tonight!

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
Thanks for reading and discussing everyone. This is what Quebec needs! Tons of chatter and buzz. Sooner or later some big shot businessman will realize the potential for success there and that he could be a God bringing back a team to Quebec!

As for the economy, it is getting better from everyone I spoke to up there. I'm going to look more into this and do a follow-up later in the summer.

Enjoy the game tonight!
The buzz is quite there atm, keep writing Murph!

Old
06-02-2008, 01:10 PM
GNick42

Quote:
http://www.pole-qca.ca/entreprises/e...3-Radar_en.pdf

You don't need to have a dominating economy to have a hockey team. The HF boards standards...

BTW. The costs for a new team will be around 550m$(300m arena and 250m$ franchise) I'm pretty sure nobody will have to spend that much with all the existing financing options.
QC may have come back somewhat but they were far behind other cities. They don't have the population nor money that a Kitchner/Waterloo or North York has. Hockey passion is equal in both places....but can't see NHL voting to put a team in another small market like QC

Old
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
SOLR

Quote:
QC may have come back somewhat but they were far behind other cities. They don't have the population nor money that a Kitchner/Waterloo or North York has. Hockey passion is equal in both places....but can't see NHL voting to put a team in another small market like QC
I really don't see it as a come back or "correction", Quebec City still as a lot of room for extra momentum. As for the money in the Kitchener/Waterloo regions if you subtracts RIM and the GTA (if you count the GTA you must count Montreal for Quebec City), both can support an NHL franchise easily. The weight of RIM on the stock market is much bigger than the actual value of the company atm.

Quebec City, however as a big advantage history wise with the NHL, 2 Stanley Cups, and would bring back many of the greatest rivalries in hockey.(Quebec Montreal) (Quebec Boston)

As for the voting, I think its mere delusion on your part to even have an opinion on what the 30 Bog members would want. Since it depends on things that we don't get to see in the public, like strength of the personas involved, financial structure of the proposition, guarantees that are given etc.

Old
06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
GNick42

They won't put a team in QC....not in near future anyway. It's a small market...why go there? Passion is only one factor. Many other cities deserve it more than QC. I would have QC 4-5 on the list of potential sites

Old
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
SOLR

Quote:
They won't put a team in QC....not in near future anyway. It's a small market...why go there? Passion is only one factor. Many other cities deserve it more than QC. I would have QC 4-5 on the list of potential sites
1)It's your opinion.

2)In 2008, in the current economic conditions, with a new arena, Quebec City is not a small hockey market compared to the NHL average.(We wouldn't even get revenue sharing.)

3) Deserve more? Please explain, how do you deserve a hockey team? Or even more bluntly, how do you deserve anything in business? Theres no such thing as "deserving".

Last edited by SOLR: 06-02-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

How do you explain Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, and maybe KC?

Quote:
1)It's your opinion.

2)In 2008, in the current condition, with a new arena, Quebec City is not a small hockey market compared to the NHL average.(We wouldn't even get revenue sharing.)

3) Deserve more? Please explain, how do you deserve a hockey team? Or even more bluntly, how do you deserve anything in business? Theres no such thing as "deserving".
I agree with you SOLR. If the NHL is still willing to head into a US small market, then why not go into a small one in Canada where you don't have to build the game from ground-up and have a solid fan base already?

Why? Because Bettman and the BOG are about the quick-buck and there's more quick money in these arenas in Vegas and KC, as there were in aforementioned markets!

Quebec and Winnipeg could work and in fact Quebec is a bigger TV market and has a larger population than Winnipeg.

The Hamilton thing will always be blocked by the territorial rights fees!

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
GNick42

Quote:
1)It's your opinion.

2)In 2008, in the current economic conditions, with a new arena, Quebec City is not a small hockey market compared to the NHL average.(We wouldn't even get revenue sharing.)

There's nothing there outside of passion for the game. No rink, no big money, no large market. Three main things Bettman and the majority of American owners are looking for. If a Canadian city gets a club it will be 1)Golden Horseshoe area 2) Winnipeg then Quebec City third. On top of that Canadian teams are not what Bettman and US Owners are going to be looking for in first place. Team in QC...never will happen in near future(10-15 years). There are 4-5 American cities ahead of QC in the pecking order. QC had a team before and couldn't make a go of it. Big financial issues from 1988 to '95. Why would owners looking to make big fast money vote to go back to a small market? Totally not going to happen

Old
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
SOLR

Quote:
There's nothing there outside of passion for the game. No rink, no big money, no large market. Three main things Bettman and the majority of American owners are looking for. If a Canadian city gets a club it will be 1)Golden Horseshoe area 2) Winnipeg then Quebec City third. On top of that Canadian teams are not what Bettman and US Owners are going to be looking for in first place. Team in QC...never will happen in near future(10-15 years). There are 4-5 American cities ahead of QC in the pecking order. QC had a team before and couldn't make a go of it. Big financial issues from 1988 to '95. Why would owners looking to make big fast money vote to go back to a small market? Totally not going to happen
That's quite a ridiculous statement. No rink? fine, is it a hurdle? maybe, not according to Balsillie himself.

No big money? You said you have 20 years in business, I'm getting skeptical about this. One again, I will repeat, the province of Quebec acts like a single market, there's the same amount of big money in Quebec City and Montreal. It's the same corporations, it's the same TV markets. Videotron would sponsor the Nords in 5 picoseconds, with the Bell situation & the habs.(example)

No large market? 1.5m population in the 1hr commute radius to the arena and nearly the same TV market as the habs.

Bettman and Co wont look for Canadian teams? How do you know that?

Not going to happen for 10-15 years, again its your opinion and stating it as a fact make it seem LESS credible, not more.

4-5 US Cities ahead of Quebec City? I'm beginning to think you have a brain scanner, I should go apply some tin foil on my head, right about now.

Quebec City didnt lost the team because of a lack of support or financial problems. We lost the team on a political confrontation and on the total lack of foresight of the PQ dreamers. Without some new infrastructure we can't have a team, this as nothing to do with the quality of market and it would be the same in ANY NHL city. Montreal nearly lost the habs until the government jumped in to help Gillet buy.

Like I already said many times, if Ottawa is in the top 10 for revenues in the league, Quebec City would be equal or a little bit behind, we did beat them many times in revenues in the years both franchises co-existed.

Again, I'm not saying it WILL happen, but pretending it's impossible it will be happen is an equality ridiculous position.

Last edited by SOLR: 06-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old
06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
GNick42

Totally not going to happen...you're just going in circles...you're not listening to common sense. Bettman and majority of owners don't want another team in Canada. And, even if they did come to Canada QC has to trump an offer like a Baisillie guy can put on the table. What the owners want is to move into major tv markets...to increase the popularity of the game and ended eventually in a major tv contract. Albeit many years from now. Coming to a Quebec City is the total opposite of what they are looking for. How can you convince the owners to give QC another team, move into a small market when the 10th biggest tv market in North America doesn't have an NHL team? See what they are building towards? It all boils down to money...they are trying to finanically take the game higher. I see a team in Houston, Vegas, KC maybe even Cleveland before Canada. Then Baillisie with his deep pockets, has a virtually lock for a team in Canada.