HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT- Know making a living on EBAY?

Old
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
SwiftyHab

vCash: 500
OT- Know making a living on EBAY?

Does anyone know someone sho does this? and how they do it? and if tis profitable? ive a got a lot of time at work doing nothing, and was wondering about the average joe on EBAY who makes a living off it. Supposedly there are 36,000 canadians that do this for a living, and i want to know their story

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
I've heard stories here and there of people caliming to make a living off ebay. While I'm sure it does work, unless you have access to wholesale products, don't expect make a whole lot. Also, you need to be competitive by either selling cheaper than the competition, or sell something nobody else has. Don't fall for the "buying a wholesale list" scam, as they sell this list to everyone and everyone has the same price... so you basically cannot compete. I suggest that if you want to do the whole ebay thing, just try to sell something that you physically have access to already, and that you can get a lot of quickly. Your product must be something you understand very well and that you have no problem morally selling to somebody else.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
goldglove

buy 4 habs tickets, sell two on ebay = free ticket, free trip, free food, free beer.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:01 AM
LilWinger11

The other way I've heard you can make a lot on Ebay is if you're really knowledgable about antiques. Supposedly going to yard sales and estate sales, finding stuff that's even somewhat valuable, buying it cheap, and selling it at it's true value on Ebay can be pretty lucrative.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
SwiftyHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlFreak View Post
I've heard stories here and there of people caliming to make a living off ebay. While I'm sure it does work, unless you have access to wholesale products, don't expect make a whole lot. Also, you need to be competitive by either selling cheaper than the competition, or sell something nobody else has. Don't fall for the "buying a wholesale list" scam, as they sell this list to everyone and everyone has the same price... so you basically cannot compete. I suggest that if you want to do the whole ebay thing, just try to sell something that you physically have access to already, and that you can get a lot of quickly. Your product must be something you understand very well and that you have no problem morally selling to somebody else.

interesting, Im trying to get in contact with smoe Chinese manufacturiers of electronics, but supposedly my mandarin is not as good as i thought it would be. Evidently watching Into the Dragon 15 times hasnt really taught me how to speak the language, either that or I may have accidently challenged the receptionist to fight to the death so i could regain my familys honour.

But I think that may be the way to go. Find some Indian or Chinese or whatever manufacturier and offer to sell their product online. Any other ideas?

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

The only time I've ever heard of someone doing that was in a fictional situation. One of the characters in the movie 40 year old virgin does it.

Sorry I know that's not helpful, but it's all I have.

05-30-2008, 11:18 AM
habfan4

I'm trying to perfect a scheme whereby I get rich from drinking Gin and Tonics, so far no luck, but the testing continues.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
The best way is to sell miniature stuff without saying it's actually a miniature item. Just take the picture to make it look like it's the regular size.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
penopekoo

I would think the most likely scenario for making money off ebay would entail having a real job, and auctioning stuff off on the side. Don't expect it to be your main source of income. And, ideally, focus on something you know a lot about and are interested in - i.e. antiques or old records (both of which can be bought cheap at garage sales and then cycled to ebay). I don't know how viable it is to re-sell Chinese manufacturer goods, I would think that market is probably already saturated, likely by people actually from China.

penopekoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sure people do it, but I don't see how they can since there are like zero profit margins on most products. Especially electronics.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Garnet

EBay

I made money for the company I worked for by importing items from Europe and Asia and selling them in North America. E-Bay is one channel we used to sale the product. You can get an E-bay sales staff to help you out once you start selling $5000-$10000 a month. They're in Utah I believe. You can also buy distressed inventory in NA and sell it on E-bay. You have to be very careful and research the product as there are companies that just sell skids of products to Ebay dealers. So you could have products that 15 other people are selling too.

How to start
Start by selling odd little items that you buy at our local stores to get a good handle on how E-bay works and the consumers buying attentions. They don't have to be expense. The customers will leave feedback about why they like the products and this is the most valuable information of all.
Good luck!

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
The other way I've heard you can make a lot on Ebay is if you're really knowledgable about antiques. Supposedly going to yard sales and estate sales, finding stuff that's even somewhat valuable, buying it cheap, and selling it at it's true value on Ebay can be pretty lucrative.
Police seizure sale?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Unless you have specialized knowledge (collecting, antiques) or are just augmenting an existing brick and mortar business, the people who make a living on eBay are really sketchy people just selling garbage to unsuspecting people. There is a really weird subculture of such people. I know a couple who sell books that libraries give away to them... not the most glamorous lifestyle.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
KRM

Move to Japan, start selling cheap Canon and Nikon equipment to europeans and north americans.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm trying to perfect a scheme whereby I get rich from drinking Gin and Tonics, so far no luck, but the testing continues.
Any luck let me know. Tequila and Jäger is also acceptable.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Kinda E-Bay related. I saw this news brief of some woman that lives in the States near the Alberta border. She set up her garage as a postal drop off for Canadians buying deals online that aren't shipped out of the USA. You use her address for a fee & then drive down & pick it up yourself, seems theres enough people in Alberta to make this viable. The garage was stacked & she no longer had to work a regular job anymore.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Kinda E-Bay related. I saw this news brief of some woman that lives in the States near the Alberta border. She set up her garage as a postal drop off for Canadians buying deals online that aren't shipped out of the USA. You use her address for a fee & then drive down & pick it up yourself, seems theres enough people in Alberta to make this viable. The garage was stacked & she no longer had to work a regular job anymore.
its pretty good until someone uses it in a theft ring or for illegal goods.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab View Post
Does anyone know someone sho does this? and how they do it? and if tis profitable? ive a got a lot of time at work doing nothing, and was wondering about the average joe on EBAY who makes a living off it. Supposedly there are 36,000 canadians that do this for a living, and i want to know their story
I've got a friend who buys a bunch of garbage chinese mp3 players on ebay and resells them for double. He gets them from a chinese manufacturer that also gives free accessories, then he sells the accessories seperately. Imo he's a scammer and I've lost respect for the dude since he started doing this.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I think you just have to have a piece of food with the face of Jesus cooked into it somewhere and auction it off for thousands. I'm making cheese whiz toast as I type.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Corey

Load up on things you buy at flea markets and thrift shops and make your money on volume rather than trying to hit a home run. But first you have to develop an eye for real bargains.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
lou4gehrig

Seriously, don't listen to these people. Go to school. Even a two year degree in something like radiology will make you much more. You will have alot less stress and freedom to do what you want. eBay is a gimmick way to make a living. You'll waste those two years and probably end up with a load of useless junk nobody wants. The only people who make money on eBay are the people selling wholesale and taking advantage of people like yourself.

If you have time at work doing nothing, then get an online degree or certification that will make you more money.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

you have to keep in mind that ebay has a fee to selling things. and then paypal has a fee as well if you're transfering.

i think you can avoid a lot of the fees by making your product cheap but making your shipping cost insane.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Guillemin

You can't make a living doing it, but I check every daqy for deals that others may have missed.

My Lafleur jersey is worth at least twice what I paid.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:45 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
buy 4 habs tickets, sell two on ebay = free ticket, free trip, free food, free beer.
Which is probably why we are limited to buying 4 tickets now

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
I know someone doing the exact same thing (on a larger scale) at the BC/Washington Border as well. She has made a living out of it.

I've actually done business with her a couple times and every time I drop in to pick up my stuff, she is extremely busy.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote