HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Straka debating retirement

Old
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Straka debating retirement

No surprises here.. his decision probably hinges on Jagr's.

Quote:
ďItís crazy for sure,Ē Straka said of his post-season dilemma. ďI donít know what happens next, where Iíll go and whether Iíll stay in the NHL. Itís different than usual. Iíll talk to several people, Iíll think about the options. Weíll see what would suit me best and that is what Iíll choose. It will be one of the most important ones Iíve ever made. If I stay in the CR, I know that the NHL is history. Itís that way at my age.Ē

He said he has plenty of offers to choose from, including his hometown team in Pilsen and Sparta Prague in the Czech capital. ďThere are many offers,Ē he told the reporter. ďThatís why I changed my phone number, so there would be no more. I talked to someone, but I wonít tell whom. Iím having more meetings this and next week. Thereís not that much time left. If I stay in the CR, Iíll have to go on the ice in mid-July. Itís right around the corner, so I have to be ready. In that scenario, it is important to be at full strength physically.Ē
http://www.blueshirtbulletin.com/200...r-time-fo.html

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
No surprises here.. his decision probably hinges on Jagr's.
It's not as if Straka and Jagr teamed up to be an unstoppable offensive force this season, so I don't think one effects the other. Straka will likely accept any offer the Rangers give him in the unlikely event that they make one.

I like Marty a lot, but he's well into the backside of his career and ready for a performance drop-off of Shanahan proportions.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not as if Straka and Jagr teamed up to be an unstoppable offensive force this season, so I don't think one effects the other. Straka will likely accept any offer the Rangers give him in the unlikely event that they make one.

I like Marty a lot, but he's well into the backside of his career and ready for a performance drop-off of Shanahan proportions.

agreed, he pretty much had it this year....he barely had any points this year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I don't want Straka back. He served the Rangers well in his first two years here, but, there was noticeable dropoff in his play. The efforts is always going to be there, but, I really can't stomach the idea of Straka returning to LW with Dubinsky and Jagr. Plus, Straka not coming back opens up a roster spot for Korpikoski, and additional cap space.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Absolutely.

06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
bigblue21

Pretty good Rangers career for Straka, he even stayed healthy for most of the time and always brought the effort and chipped in with a decent amount of points. That said, his time here has probably run its course.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Rags225

I would welcome Straka back w/ open arms for another season for a smaller contract. especially considering the UFA options this year. Would rather pay Straka for one year of decency than overpay Malone, Ryder, Huselius etc for 4 yrs.

Plus Straka, is still good defensively, can PK, is a decent passer. I just don't want him on the point of the PP.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's really being pulled back home to Pilsen. I'd go just for the beer.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Straka was a good soldier as a Ranger but the time has come to say goodbye. Sjostrom can fill his role as a 3rd liner and PKer easily. It's time to promote from within and see what kids like Sjostrom and Korpikoski can do.

I think you replace Straka with Sjostrom, Shanny with Ryan Malone and we have to re-sign Avery and Jagr and we should be set on the top 4 lines with all of the other guys we have under contract.

Malone-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Avery
Sjostrom/Korpikoski-Drury-Callahan
Sjostrom/Byers-Betts-Orr

Extras:
Hollweg, Prucha

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Straka was a good soldier as a Ranger but the time has come to say goodbye. Sjostrom can fill his role as a 3rd liner and PKer easily. It's time to promote from within and see what kids like Sjostrom and Korpikoski can do.

I think you replace Straka with Sjostrom, Shanny with Ryan Malone and we have to re-sign Avery and Jagr and we should be set on the top 4 lines with all of the other guys we have under contract.

Malone-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Avery
Sjostrom/Byers-Betts-Orr

Extras:
Hollweg, Prucha
umm prucha an extra . with straka gone if he is gone, put prucha with dubinsky and jagr.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
otto1219

i would take straka as a third line player, he had some good games with drury before being moved up to the first line. But i would certainly not resign him to play on the top line. the guy was snake bit in the playoffs.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Rags225

Quote:

Malone-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Avery
Sjostrom/Byers-Betts-Orr

Extras:
Hollweg, Prucha
Say no to Malone..... way tooo much $ for way to little

Old
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
mattyd99

Quote:

Malone-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Avery
Sjostrom/Byers-Betts-Orr

Extras:
Hollweg, Prucha
I'm sorry but to say Sjostrom can replace Straka is just absolutely crazy. No one appreciates a player like Straka or realizes how hard he is to replace. Yeah the points are down and blah blah but when have you EVER seen Sjostrom do anything that could make you say he can replace Straka. It's funny we're all ready to throw this guy out of town but our best lines at the end of the year were ones he was on (Dubinsky, him and Jagr and the brief line of him, Drury, and Callahan). And one more thing why does everyone think Malone is going to leave Pittsburgh? He grew up there, his father played for them, he just had his best year there, was just in the Stanley Cup, and gets to play with Crosby and/or Malkin. Put yourself in those shoes and ask why would I sign anywhere else?

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I'm sorry but to say Sjostrom can replace Straka is just absolutely crazy. No one appreciates a player like Straka or realizes how hard he is to replace. Yeah the points are down and blah blah but when have you EVER seen Sjostrom do anything that could make you say he can replace Straka. It's funny we're all ready to throw this guy out of town but our best lines at the end of the year were ones he was on (Dubinsky, him and Jagr and the brief line of him, Drury, and Callahan). And one more thing why does everyone think Malone is going to leave Pittsburgh? He grew up there, his father played for them, he just had his best year there, was just in the Stanley Cup, and gets to play with Crosby and/or Malkin. Put yourself in those shoes and ask why would I sign anywhere else?
its kind of hard for Sjostrom to prove that he can replace Straka when hes getting less than 10 minutes a night playing with Betts and Hollweg.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
NYR469

Quote:

its not about how they play together, its about how good friends they are. playing with a close friend is very important for some guys...imo if jagr is coming back to the rangers that won't make straka's decision, but if jagr does NOT comeback then straka's decision to retire becomes a much easier one. but its not a guaranteed package deal

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
its not about how they play together, its about how good friends they are. playing with a close friend is very important for some guys...imo if jagr is coming back to the rangers that won't make straka's decision, but if jagr does NOT comeback then straka's decision to retire becomes a much easier one. but its not a guaranteed package deal
Agreed.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Say no to Malone..... way tooo much $ for way to little
i could not possibly disagree more...now if the asking price gets too high thats different, but ryan malone is EXACTLY the type of player we badly need.

we badly need offense up front...malone is capable of scoring 30 goals/year (plus he's got the speed to play with gomez and the cycle game to play with jagr or drury)

we badly need size on the wings...malone is 6'4 225

we badly need more physical play from our top 3 lines...malone had 138 hits last year and he sticks up for his teammates (9 fighting majors).

and the biggest selling point imo is how versatile he is. he can play all 3 forward positions, he can play on any of the top 3 lines. he is good enough offensively to be on the top scoring line and pp, but also good enough defensively to on a checking line and top pk unit.

as long as the $$ isn't insanely high, he is a PERFECT fit imo

Old
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
sjostrom isn't replacing the straka of 2 years ago that scored 29 goals. but this past season straka scored 14 goals in 65 games, sjostrom scored 12 goals in 69 games. and straka got more quality ice time with better linemates...

now if you are banking on straka bouncing back to score 25 again thats different, but if you feel that straka is on the decline and 14-15 goals is what we'll likely get from him then i think sjostrom is very capable of getting that much or more if he gets regular time with drury and callahan.

but it really comes down to where you'd see straka in the lineup...if we are talking about lw on the #1 line with dubinsky and jagr, then no sjostrom doesn't measure up and we'd have to look outside the organization to replace him. but if we are talking about the 3rd line with drury and callahan then i'd be very ok with giving sjostrom a shot.

Old
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
... if jagr does NOT comeback then straka's decision to retire becomes a much easier one.
I would have to say I disagree with that. I think if Straka were to get a reasonable contract offer from the Rangers, he would accept it regardless of what happens with Jagr.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Rags225

Quote:
i could not possibly disagree more...now if the asking price gets too high thats different, but ryan malone is EXACTLY the type of player we badly need.

we badly need offense up front...malone is capable of scoring 30 goals/year (plus he's got the speed to play with gomez and the cycle game to play with jagr or drury)

we badly need size on the wings...malone is 6'4 225

we badly need more physical play from our top 3 lines...malone had 138 hits last year and he sticks up for his teammates (9 fighting majors).

and the biggest selling point imo is how versatile he is. he can play all 3 forward positions, he can play on any of the top 3 lines. he is good enough offensively to be on the top scoring line and pp, but also good enough defensively to on a checking line and top pk unit.

as long as the $$ isn't insanely high, he is a PERFECT fit imo
he is completely overrated. he couldn't crack 30 on Pittsburgh who has an insanely good offense and you think he will crack 30 here, on a defensive minded, offensive void which is the NYR. I'm sorry but if you can's score 30 playing w/ Crosby and Malkin than you probably won't hit 30 playing w/ Gomez.

I don't care if he fights or not either... That is what Orr, Hollweg, Byers is for. Not first or second line players. What good is he if he is in the box.

his only asset is his size, which we do need. but we definately don't need him.

he will be vastly overpaid, b/c he is overrrated.

Old
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
TheHotRock

I love Straka...i think he's very good in all aspects of the game...besides finishing, which he is slightly below average at. anyway, i'd be happy to bring him back at 3 mil but at the same time, i wouldn't mind having 3 mil free if he goes back home.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Appreciate Marty, he had a few good seasons here, and definately impacted this team in positive fashion. I didn't approve when they first got him, but the guy immediately was all hustle, and I really liked what he brought to the table. But, I really love the youth movement, and I do feel it is time for a change. Not that he wouldn't be successful if he returned, but I want to see some fresh faces, and some current faces get some more icetime here.

The more I think about Malone/Dubinsky/Jagr the more I like it. And if Malone does indeed end up in NY, I wouldn't rule out him playing the left side on the Gomez line either.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
More than likely neither Prucha nor Dawes are going anywhere. If the goal then is to get bigger and tougher on the wings, I don't see where Straka fits.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
he is completely overrated. he couldn't crack 30 on Pittsburgh who has an insanely good offense and you think he will crack 30 here, on a defensive minded, offensive void which is the NYR. I'm sorry but if you can's score 30 playing w/ Crosby and Malkin than you probably won't hit 30 playing w/ Gomez.

I don't care if he fights or not either... That is what Orr, Hollweg, Byers is for. Not first or second line players. What good is he if he is in the box.

his only asset is his size, which we do need. but we definately don't need him.

he will be vastly overpaid, b/c he is overrrated.
While I do think his offensive abilities are overrated around here, he does indeed possess a lot of the traits we need on our offense.

Is he worth more than 4 mil? Probably not to us, but with a team with cap space to spend? You bet he is.

As for the fighting, it's great to have guys like Orr who can fight. But, it's even better to have a guy that can fight, pk, score goals and throw some hits. Besides, if a guy like Orr is on the bench, he can't jump on the ice if a scrum breaks out. As opposed to a guy like Malone, who is out there to defend his linemates as much as he is to score goals.

Not to mention the guy is tough as nails. Had his nose broken 3 or 4 times in the playoffs and kept skating. Insane.

Hollweg and Orr are one dimensional players. Malone at least brings something extra to the table. However, he'll be far too expensive.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
While I do think his offensive abilities are overrated around here, he does indeed possess a lot of the traits we need on our offense.

Is he worth more than 4 mil? Probably not to us, but with a team with cap space to spend? You bet he is.

As for the fighting, it's great to have guys like Orr who can fight. But, it's even better to have a guy that can fight, pk, score goals and throw some hits. Besides, if a guy like Orr is on the bench, he can't jump on the ice if a scrum breaks out. As opposed to a guy like Malone, who is out there to defend his linemates as much as he is to score goals.

Not to mention the guy is tough as nails. Had his nose broken 3 or 4 times in the playoffs and kept skating. Insane.

Hollweg and Orr are one dimensional players. Malone at least brings something extra to the table. However, he'll be far too expensive.
other than avery and dubinsky we have no skilled guys that fight. we dont want staal to fight cause he is a dman, but if staal has too, he can.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote