HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Draft Idea

Old
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
tjd9

vCash: 500
Another Draft Idea

I know this team is stacked in defenceman prospects, but if Jyri Niemi is still around when we draft we should take him. Hes fast has good size and has a 97mph slapshot. He came from Finland to the dub last year and put up 14 goals. The transition from Finland to NA worked well for him. I think he could be a late first round steal. What do you guys think?

tjd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:45 PM
jlockhart89

I've only seen him play a few times but I've never understood the hype

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd9 View Post
I know this team is stacked in defenceman prospects, but if Jyri Niemi is still around when we draft we should take him. Hes fast has good size and has a 97mph slapshot. He came from Finland to the dub last year and put up 14 goals. The transition from Finland to NA worked well for him. I think he could be a late first round steal. What do you guys think?
i think Petry and Plante have heavy slap shots aswell.. If Teubert or DelZotto are available I would take them over Niemi ... <only because ivent heard of him >

in lowe i trust when it comes to Dmen.

Eberle is who I want drafted... or the most skilled forward available.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
i think Petry and Plante have heavy slap shots aswell.. If Teubert or DelZotto are available I would take them over Niemi ... <only because ivent heard of him >

in lowe i trust when it comes to Dmen.

Eberle is who I want drafted... or the most skilled forward available.
Eberle or Colborne for me. But then again, I want Lowe to get another couple 1sts this year, so hopefully we can see the both of them called.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd9 View Post
I think he could be a late first round steal. What do you guys think?
We should pick him if we acquire a early early 2nd rounder (i.e if we trade Greene or trade down from 22).

I'm sure we can get a "better" player at 22.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I wouldn't have a problem with Niemi. I haven't seen him play, but every scouting report I've read about him praises his hockey sense, and he seems to have the tools needed (though I understand his skating isn't great).

The thing I like about him is that he fits well into the plan I'd like to see the Oilers take on draft day, which is trading down. I don't think he'll go until late in round 1, which means the Oilers might be able to pick him up if they decide to trade down later in the first to pick up extra picks in the 2nd/3rd round.

06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Eberle or Colborne for me. But then again, I want Lowe to get another couple 1sts this year, so hopefully we can see the both of them called.
Colborne to me sounds like another winchester \ jacques \ pouliot \ chimera .. but Eberle sounds more like a hybrid of Gagner and Cogliano.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
No, this is a guy you want to stay away from. He's bit like MAB, big tools, no tool box. He skates well and has a big shot, but lacks hockey sense.

He was far and away the worst defenseman on the ice at the prospects game. He struggled badly.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:24 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
enless the oilers move 2 d-men at the draft--I say grab a LW

with the guys who are in university and the guys in JR--Springfield will have enought D-men for the next couple of years

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Chainsaw

'm in love with Jyri Niemi. He has put up better numbers than Schenn. Looks like a thick draft. For Eberle and Ennis to be ranked late 1st round picks with 40 goals a piece makes me wonder.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:29 AM
40oz

Quote:
Colborne to me sounds like another winchester \ jacques \ pouliot \ chimera .. but Eberle sounds more like a hybrid of Gagner and Cogliano.
I'd give him more credit than that, IMO he has better ands than all of those (except maybe Pouliot). But one of my friends who is a Dman in the AJHL was assigned to him on many occasions and noticed how often he would disapear and was he often shutdown by better defensemen.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Arcane

Eberle for the win

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Eberle for the win
I'm with you, there's something about a guy (who's not a midget), who gets 42g in the WHL. I like what he would bring to the table.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Eberle for the win
Indeed. If we don't move up, Eberle, Toews, or Colborne are my hopes.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Arcane

Eberle basically had 20% of Regina's goals, He's got great hockey sense and skill - two things that can't be taught, he's a homegrown Canadian boy, He's won scholastic player of the year, most sportsmanlike and most popular player award which IMO say's a lot about his character and in his interview last night he said being picked by Edmonton would be unbelievable and his favourite team growing up was the Oilers.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Old
06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Eberle basically had 20% of Regina's goals, He's got great hockey sense and skill - two things that can't be taught, he's a homegrown Canadian boy, He's won scholastic player of the year, most sportsmanlike and most popular player award which IMO say's a lot about his character and in his interview last night he said being picked by Edmonton would be unbelievable and his favourite team growing up was the Oilers.

Hey it worked for Gagner. I so want Eberle drafted by us.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:

That's another thing that I've liked about him since I heard that. It's always good to have a player excited to be drafted by your team. Eberle would be my number 1 guy who could still be available with our pick. Colborne and Gustafsson are tied for second.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No, this is a guy you want to stay away from. He's bit like MAB, big tools, no tool box. He skates well and has a big shot, but lacks hockey sense.

He was far and away the worst defenseman on the ice at the prospects game. He struggled badly.
We couldn't have been at the same game. Niemi didn't stand out in that game, but he definitely wasn't the worst D-man in that game. I thought Del Zotto looked the worst in that game. Niemi finished even on the night playing on a team that lost 8-4. He made a nice play to break up a 2-on-1 3mins into the game, and was solid all night. His skating needs some work in terms of lateral movement/agility, but that is something that can be corrected. But the shot, that is only going to get better as he gains NHL strength. The thing about it is that he doesn't have the huge backswing that a guy like MAB had. Its shoulder height at the most and quick, kinda like Lidstrom's release. I have been a huge promoter of this kid since I saw him play.

Ideally, somebody LA wants falls to 22 and we get their 28th and 32nd (kinda like the move we made for Nash last year). I think Eberle could still be there at 28 and Niemi at 32.

That said, if Josh Bailey somehow falls to 22, forget about trading back. This guy is a guaranteed 2nd line center.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:

Where was this?

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
Where was this?
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...erle_June3.mp3

**Thanks to Mr. Flaming

Old
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Seconded.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If we're picking a D-man in the first, or trying to get another pick to get a D-man, I really like Erik Karlsson. He seems to have everything you want in a top-pairing guy except size. Good hockey sense, puck poise(Martin Skoula lol), ability to move the puck etc.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:45 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Right, thanks.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Eberle for the win
Eberle would be amazing, but I have a feeling he's a guy that's going to be drafted higher than most people have him ranked. If we want him, I think we'll have to move up about 8-10 places in the draft.

Trading down is still my first choice unless someone really good falls to us.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Raoul Duke*

I like the Niemi idea but I doubt he'll be around later in the draft - and don't think he's a 1st rounder. I also would pass on Colborne, another entitled kid like Comrie. Maybe just jealousy on my part, but to hell with him.

Eberle is the Oilers option. Fingers crossed he drops.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote