HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT on with Tencer Tonight

Old
06-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Kamus

vCash: 500
That was a decent interview. Tencer asked good questions, but Mact didn't really answer some of them and blatantly lied when asked about Buchburger.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:15 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I got a slightly different perspective. I think he is leary about promises that they are going to get anybody who makes the team better and worries that he will once again come into camp with a worse team than what he ended the year.
Fair enough but does he really feel he's got a contending team giving it horrific 5v5 GF/GA differential? Never mind the distortion caused by all those shootout wins.

He may have some nasty surprises coming up.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Fair enough but does he really feel he's got a contending team giving it horrific 5v5 GF/GA differential? Never mind the distortion caused by all those shootout wins.

He may have some nasty surprises coming up.
I hope not. However, he may believe that he has a team that is on its way to being a contender and does not want to take a step backwards.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
VelvetJones

Just started listening. I'm sure I will be floored with the hard core questions and the oodles of info MacT will give up being under duress from the near anal probe interview.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I hope not. However, he may believe that he has a team that is on its way to being a contender and does not want to take a step backwards.
Standing still is a step backward if the teams you're competing against are getting better.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Section337

Quote:
Standing still is a step backward if the teams you're competing against are getting better.
For that statement to be true, certain factors have to be true:
  • Everybody else`s moves will cause them to take a step forward.
  • Your moves don`t have you take a actual step backwards, instead of a potentially comparitive step backwards.
  • The young guys will not continue a positve path of progression.

I don't know what is the answer, but I can understand Mac-T being leery of any promises that his team will be improved by trading for or signing elite talent. And even more leery that a trade of a roster player for a draft choice will make him better able to succeed.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
For that statement to be true, certain factors have to be true:
  • Everybody else`s moves will cause them to take a step forward.
  • Your moves don`t have you take a actual step backwards, instead of a potentially comparitive step backwards.
  • The young guys will not continue a positve path of progression.

I don't know what is the answer, but I can understand Mac-T being leery of any promises that his team will be improved by trading for or signing elite talent. And even more leery that a trade of a roster player for a draft choice will make him better able to succeed.
All of that is absolutely true if you believe your team is a contender for the Stanley Cup because that's what it's all about.

Do you think the Oilers are serious cup contenders as currently constituted?

Old
06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
And they are?

I would say each and every team within our own division looks to be in worse positions heading into the offseason than when they ended this years season; besides the Oilers, who even standing pat look to be arguably better (return of injured players).

Clearly there is a lot of room for all the teams to make moves at this point but I think assuming everyone will automatically be getting better is far off the mark. Lots of tough personnel decisions to be made in Calgary. Minny faces the loss of Demitra and perhaps an unhappy Gaborik entering a contract year. Vancouver's undergoing a complete managerial restructure and personally I think they look poised for rough seas ahead. Colorado has a hell of a lot of key players up for RFA status and could go in any direction.

Taking all that into consideration a team which has shown to be chock full of promising young talent and also sees the return of many a key veteran looks pretty good to me.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
theoil

Interesting that he thinks they now have the personnel to play a puck possession game. The Wings scored 250 goals this year not counting shootouts if I counted correctly. Rafalski and Lidstrom combined had 125 points. I'm sure they were both involved in some of the goals but they basically were involved in 50% of the goals their team scored while controlling a lot of the puck possession. That is a huge step for Gilbert, Pitkanen and Grebeshkov to make.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
All of that is absolutely true if you believe your team is a contender for the Stanley Cup because that's what it's all about.

I think considering the team's makeup of younger stars coming into their own for this coming season just being a "solid playoff" team is more than good enough, and absolutely on pace with being a SC contender for years to come.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
I think considering the team's makeup of younger stars coming into their own for this coming season just being a "solid playoff" team is more than good enough, and absolutely on pace with being a SC contender for years to come.
So you're convinced the Oilers can win a cup with their current lineup or is just making the playoffs good enough?

I'm sure you're aware the Oilers are the only team with "younger stars coming into their own."

Toews and Kane are better than Gagner and Cogliano, Phoenix just added 5 "younger stars" to their roster, Kopitar, O'Sullivan, and Brown in LA are great.

As I said, standing still can mean you're going backward.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Bryanbryoil

What scares the **** out of me with Mac-T, is the fact that we could be a short slump from the kid line or Brodziak away from seeing Reasoner and Stoll in the same capacity that we saw them in while our team sucked last year.

Reasone needs to be brought back and told "We love your competitive spirit and your locker room presence, however you could see time as a spare forward if some of the kids step up their games. If you're fine with that, we'd love to have you back, if you expect to play a lot here all season long, then we'll probably have to part ways. If you're up to it, great, if not, then it's been great having you around and for being a stand up guy".

The end, we cannot afford to have him and Stoll taking up a ton of time unless they play like they SHOULD be playing a ton.

06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What scares the **** out of me with Mac-T, is the fact that we could be a short slump from the kid line or Brodziak away from seeing Reasoner and Stoll in the same capacity that we saw them in while our team sucked last year.

Reasone needs to be brought back and told "We love your competitive spirit and your locker room presence, however you could see time as a spare forward if some of the kids step up their games. If you're fine with that, we'd love to have you back, if you expect to play a lot here all season long, then we'll probably have to part ways. If you're up to it, great, if not, then it's been great having you around and for being a stand up guy".

The end, we cannot afford to have him and Stoll taking up a ton of time unless they play like they SHOULD be playing a ton.
And Torres to boot. It sounds like MacT wants to stand pat. Scary.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Take 1 step forward and take 2 steps backwards. Recipe for success Mac-T style

Maybe that could finally bite him in the *** with the new boss man in town.

We've all seen what the kids can do when given the chance, there's no going back for Mac-T IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
So you're convinced the Oilers can win a cup with their current lineup or is just making the playoffs good enough?

I'm sure you're aware the Oilers are the only team with "younger stars coming into their own."

Toews and Kane are better than Gagner and Cogliano, Phoenix just added 5 "younger stars" to their roster, Kopitar, O'Sullivan, and Brown in LA are great.

I would say with their current lineup the Oilers have a great shot at the playoffs, and could legitimately challenge for the division this season. They would definitely be an outside shot at the cup, but again I don't think that has to be the only successful measure of this coming season. If this team proves themselves to be a solid playoff team this year it would logically be in large part due to the solid steps of our younger players; in turn logically progressing to be more dominant in their own right as we progress into future seasons.

Personally if we're comparing ourselves to other teams and any moves they might be making I think it'd be prudent to start within our own division first. Then moving to consider the other teams, the Oilers youth movement is made up of a hell of a lot more than just Gagner and Cogliano.

You're very right that standing still can mean you're going backward. I just think at this point it can't be emphasized enough that can is the operative word.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
I would say with their current lineup the Oilers have a great shot at the playoffs, and could legitimately challenge for the division this season. They would definitely be an outside shot at the cup, but again I don't think that has to be the only successful measure of this coming season. If this team proves themselves to be a solid playoff team this year it would logically be in large part due to the solid steps of our younger players; in turn logically progressing to be more dominant in their own right as we progress into future seasons.

Personally if we're comparing ourselves to other teams and any moves they might be making I think it'd be prudent to start within our own division first. Then moving to consider the other teams, the Oilers youth movement is made up of a hell of a lot more than just Gagner and Cogliano.

You're very right that standing still can mean you're going backward. I just think at this point it can't be emphasized enough that can is the operative word.
We have the tools to go forward, but unfortunately, we have the tools to go backwards, and Mac-T's use (or lack thereof) of those tools will be the biggest key to the next season. Can/will he sit veterans if they are not carrying their weight, and the kids are carrying theirs??? I am still very skeptical of this.

Lowe needs to dump some guys like he did Toby Peterson to protect Mac-T from himself.

"Damn Craig, Marty wanted $650,000 and I offered $550,000, that extra $100,000 will be what allows us to keep Horcoff" type of "protecting". As long as Mac-T overplays the pluggers and has guys like Reasoner on as the extra attacker, we will NEVER reach our potential as a team.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
theoil

Quote:
Take 1 step forward and take 2 steps backwards. Recipe for success Mac-T style

Maybe that could finally bite him in the *** with the new boss man in town.

We've all seen what the kids can do when given the chance, there's no going back for Mac-T IMO.
He also said they are talking to 3-4 teams about quantity for quality where those teams might be looking for depth while shedding salary. I think it is a little early to think we know what is going to happen.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Section337

Quote:

I do not think they are cup contenders, I doubt Mac-T thinks they are cup contenders. What I do think is that all teams that are cup contenders are teams that build their foundation first and then look to obtain players to push them over the top.

I believe that they are in a good place of progression with their foundation, but not at the point where a kind-of-star player will push them over the edge. I think there is as good of chance for a negative as there is for a positive move, mainly because I think the free agent class is week and that the current trade market is overly costly for the desperate. And after last summer, the Oilers should maybe stay away from desperate.

They should try and improve the roster, but not a costly improvement like I believe Souray (my thoughts are still out on Penner). But if I am Craig MacTavish, I have to (at this point) be planning on entering the year with the current roster.

This means he has to hope for a healthier and naturally progressing team, because I think he should be under a do or die goal of making the playoffs. Nor would I give him the full year, if they end November well below 500 then they likely need to shake up the team by replacing him.

Plus there is no reason that you can't make trades through-out the season. In my view Lowe has a better record with these trades, than things done in the offseason.

Last edited by Section337: 06-03-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old
06-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Why is that scary? On paper this is a pretty darned good team going into training camp. Now add the depth of assets on the farm/team. Why is this important? If some of the players on the team don't work up to the team's standards, they have the flexibility to make a trade without hurting the current or future dept of the franchise. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Probably not but he may realize to make those sorts of moves you probably have to gut a chunk of your team and sell off a bunch of the near future as well. When that is done you may have gotten rid of enough that all you really did in the end was shuffle some deck chairs around in a side ways step.

By the way the idea I get when he says stand pat. Is no really big deals. That does not mean there might not be a deal with a Torres or a D moving kind of thing. Just nothing big to change the face of the team unless it is a really good deal for a high end guy (of course those do not come along that often so counting on one is not a good idea either IMO).

I just got the idea that they are going to explore stuff like that but MacT will not be uncomfortable with what we have if nothing good on the trade front materializes. That is all they can do really is explore possible deals. Unless of course you want to screw yourself and start severely overpaying on trades just order to make something happen. There are teams that will oblige you if that is what you are looking for.

Quote:
Lowe needs to dump some guys like he did Toby Peterson to protect Mac-T from himself.

"Damn Craig, Marty wanted $650,000 and I offered $550,000, that extra $100,000 will be what allows us to keep Horcoff" type of "protecting". As long as Mac-T overplays the pluggers and has guys like Reasoner on as the extra attacker, we will NEVER reach our potential as a team.
I wrote when it was on live when MacT kept saying "I want Marty back". It made me think to myself is he hoping that Lowe is listening and that possibly Lowe is not high on the idea or at least undecided?

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 06-03-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
We have the tools to go forward, but unfortunately, we have the tools to go backwards, and Mac-T's use (or lack thereof) of those tools will be the biggest key to the next season. Can/will he sit veterans if they are not carrying their weight, and the kids are carrying theirs??? I am still very skeptical of this.

Well I think what you're ultimately saying is the only "tool" we have for possibly stepping backwards is MacT

Some of those concerns you raise definitely have a lot of merit to them but I'm still definitely going to stay on the positive side of the possibility coin and assume MacT will have learned his lesson. Even if he hasn't learned his lesson hopefully we'll just have such a logjam of talented forwards that it'll be a near impossibility for even the potential of a Reasoner to be thrust into some prime role.

Either way though it sounds like your concerns are more towards the coaching than the personnel aspect of things.

Regardless though just packaging off players for one elite player doesn't MacT proof the roster by any stretch. If anything it just opens up the possibility for more of those moves to be seen with less other bodies to turn to.

That being said I'm almost always going to be in favour of picking up an elite player, and it sounds like MacT was as well.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Probably not but he may realize to make those sorts of moves you probably have to gut a chunk of your team and sell off a bunch of the near future as well.
This is great fodder to throw at the Lowe haters. He's given the Oilers so much flexibility in the direction of the team that the future is really really bright.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:32 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Why is that scary? On paper this is a pretty darned good team going into training camp. Now add the depth of assets on the farm/team. Why is this important? If some of the players on the team don't work up to the team's standards, they have the flexibility to make a trade without hurting the current or future dept of the franchise. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Because we really need to trim some fat. We need to move at least one forward, and at least one d-man imho. It doesn't need to be an upheaval, although I'm ok with that too, for the right return, but we need need to make at least one trade. We are too close to the 50 contract limit and plus I'm pretty sure we don't have enough roster spots to cover all the waiver eligible guys if we don't make any moves. Esp if we have to start with 3 goalies and Reasoner.

Rumour has it the Yotes love Colborne, maybe we can do something like Torres + Smid + 22nd for the 8th and something?. We lose little we can't replace(assuming Glencross resigns), we clear some roster space and we pick up a great young kid like Boedker, Filatov, Hodgson, Wilson or maybe even Schenn if he falls.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VelvetJones

After listening to it I have to go back on my earlier thoughts that there will be a sort of anal probe type interview. It was more of a tongue lashing of the same area.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:

Total NHL games played at the start of the 2007 season…

Gagner - 0
Cogliano - 0
Glencross – 7
Gilbert - 12
Brodziak - 16
Roy - 21
Stortini - 29
Grebeshkov - 33
Nilsson - 57
Smid - 77

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote