HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gary Roberts

Old
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
Gary Roberts

We've obviously got a glut of players right now, but I think Roberts is exactly what we need for a serious playoff run. Anyone agree?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
David_99

maybe at the deadline

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

If he is allowed to punch people in the face still without getting penalties I wouldn't mind him on our 4th line.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
LyleOdelein

Roberts is a warrior; this is undeniable. However, his body is breaking down. I don't think he'll make it through the season and especially not through the playoffs.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No thanks, not anything like he use to be and ended up being a distraction for the Pens.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I swear, anytime someone is destined for free agency in here because they say they want to test it, or the team says they're not going to sign them, there's a thread in here asking about them.

The team has enough RFAs to sign and they're looking to lock up a big time UFA, so that would take all potential spots away for useless UFAs.

Like previously stated, a 5th for Roberts at the deadline, maybe.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Roberts is a warrior; this is undeniable. However, his body is breaking down. I don't think he'll make it through the season and especially not through the playoffs.
I think I said the exact same thing like 10 years ago.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
SpreeEndaz

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
hahaha, awesome.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I think I said the exact same thing like 10 years ago.
I agree, it's amazing he's made it this far. Only more testament to his guts and heart. However, he hasn't played 60 games in a season since the year before the lockout. He missed almost half of the playoffs this year, too (and the Penguins had A LOT of rest) . At the age of 42, there's a lot less chance to rebound back to health than there is at 32.

I pretty much think that if he plays next season, he's either going to melt into a puddle, wither to dust, or spontaneously combust on the ice.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
We've obviously got a glut of players right now, but I think Roberts is exactly what we need for a serious playoff run. Anyone agree?

I would much rather him than Steve Begin. At least Roberts can put the puck in the net when the opportunity arises....Begin usually shoots it into the stands.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I will sign under this.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
lol..you're too much Spree.

As for Roberts, hmmm...no thank you.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Judge Sauer*

Thanks but no thanks

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Sotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I agree, it's amazing he's made it this far. Only more testament to his guts and heart. However, he hasn't played 60 games in a season since the year before the lockout. He missed almost half of the playoffs this year, too (and the Penguins had A LOT of rest) . At the age of 42, there's a lot less chance to rebound back to health than there is at 32.

I pretty much think that if he plays next season, he's either going to melt into a puddle, wither to dust, or spontaneously combust on the ice.
He played 69 games in 06/07 .

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I'd sign Gary Roberts in a heartbeat. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for Montreal.

Yeah, his body is battered but he still has grit, great work ethic and remarkable leadership. What the modern Montreal Canadiens sorely lack is players like they used to have. Bob Gaineys and Robinsons and Carbos.

There is no one else like Bob Gainey but Gary Roberts is probably the closest you can come to in modern hockey. He's got well over a hundred playoff games experience, plus he plays a style few Habs player can provide.

He also loves to work with younger guys and is a fitness freak. Jason Spezza worked with him a few off-seasons ago and was literally transformed, becoming a more explosive and brash player and started to dominate.

If there is one guy Guillaume Latendresse should take cues from in the league, it's probably Roberts. I'd love to see him work with all the youngsters, the Kostitsyns, Lapierre and even more established guys like Higgins.

Also, it would also bring leadership that is sorely needed in Montreal and prepare the next generation (Komisarek and all) better for the C than Saku Koivu.

His impact as a player (a talented grinder on the wing) is nice by itself but it's all he can do for other players as well that's interesting.

Yeah, he's probably not going to play 80+ games. So what? That's precisely not what the Habs need. They have more than enough talent and depth to be ok in the regular season. All they need is for Gary to work with the youngsters and have him show up in the playoffs. His 93 post-season points and intense play are a good indicator he will do that. This guy rarely takes night offs and perhaps he'll even push veterans like Kovalev so that they take this seriously.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
DrMailloux

nop unless we get some kind of deduction on the cap if we take him.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
ed ible*

The only player we need taking up a roster spot is a first line center..............Not Gary friggin Roberts.....

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Corey

Roberts might help the Habs get past Boston and Philly, but not much else. I'd consider him as a last minute deadline acquisition if he didn't cost much.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I'd sign Gary Roberts in a heartbeat. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for Montreal.

Yeah, his body is battered but he still has grit, great work ethic and remarkable leadership. What the modern Montreal Canadiens sorely lack is players like they used to have. Bob Gaineys and Robinsons and Carbos.

There is no one else like Bob Gainey but Gary Roberts is probably the closest you can come to in modern hockey. He's got well over a hundred playoff games experience, plus he plays a style few Habs player can provide.

He also loves to work with younger guys and is a fitness freak. Jason Spezza worked with him a few off-seasons ago and was literally transformed, becoming a more explosive and brash player and started to dominate.

If there is one guy Guillaume Latendresse should take cues from in the league, it's probably Roberts. I'd love to see him work with all the youngsters, the Kostitsyns, Lapierre and even more established guys like Higgins.

Also, it would also bring leadership that is sorely needed in Montreal and prepare the next generation (Komisarek and all) better for the C than Saku Koivu.

His impact as a player (a talented grinder on the wing) is nice by itself but it's all he can do for other players as well that's interesting.

Yeah, he's probably not going to play 80+ games. So what? That's precisely not what the Habs need. They have more than enough talent and depth to be ok in the regular season. All they need is for Gary to work with the youngsters and have him show up in the playoffs. His 93 post-season points and intense play are a good indicator he will do that. This guy rarely takes night offs and perhaps he'll even push veterans like Kovalev so that they take this seriously.
I pretty much agree with this post.

Roberts at 1.8 million Done!!

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Lexicon

vCash: 50
Montreal needs Darcy Tucker, Sean Avery and Danny Carcillo - on the same line.

Lol, who wouldn't love that line.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I would acquire Roberts at the deadline,but I wouldn't sign him for the complete season.I hope he signs with a team that won't make it and Gainey can get him at the trade deadline

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would acquire Roberts at the deadline,but I wouldn't sign him for the complete season.I hope he signs with a team that won't make it and Gainey can get him at the trade deadline
this strategy isn't completely bad but it loses the impact of having Gary around the players during camp and for the whole season. Gary will help the team in the dressing doom and the Training room as well as on the ice. Its good to have the coaches and trainers talking the same talk as some of the players like a Gary Roberts.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
this strategy isn't completely bad but it loses the impact of having Gary around the players during camp and for the whole season. Gary will help the team in the dressing doom and the Training room as well as on the ice.
Exactly. Picking him at the deadline nullifies much of the benefit of having a Gary Roberts.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
No. Too old, he isn't the same player he was with the Canes before the Leafs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote