HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly eyeing Meszaros

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
  #51
Comely
Registered User
 
Comely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley27 View Post
Meszaros and Kelly(if signed)

for Carter and Coburn
That is a Terrible offer, Coburn is worth almost as much as Mes I say the difference in thier value is a low draft pick. So you are offering Kelly and a low pick for Carter.

Even if this was Vermette and Meszaros then the sens would still need to add.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
  #52
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
That is a Terrible offer, Coburn is worth almost as much as Mes I say the difference in thier value is a low draft pick. So you are offering Kelly and a low pick for Carter.

Even if this was Vermette and Meszaros then the sens would still need to add.
You couldn't find a single Flyers fan who would even consider trading Coburn straight up for Mes, not one. Coburn is going to be a special special d-man and is already a VERY good top 3, if not top 2 defenseman in this league. The list of young D-men in this league I would trade Braydon for is very very short (Phaneuf, Weber, Jay-Bo, Burns, EJ, and possibly Green but that's it). I wouldn't deal Coburn for Mes and a signed Kelly, in fact I wouldn't even consider it.

Throwing in Carter's name is beyond a joke.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
  #53
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
lol at Carter being traded for Mes. That is not going to happen. We can do much better if we are going to trade Carter.

Id love to get Mes though. I think the Flyers should look at trading some other guys to get him including Umberger.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:51 PM
  #54
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
I just don't know why Murray would trade Mezz.

During our Stanley Cup Final run we had 4 puckmoving defensemen in Wade Redden, Andrej Meszaros, Joe Corvo, and Tom Priessing. Priessing and Corvo are gone and Redden is not expected to resign. That leaves Meszaros and Lee.

Now we trade Meszaros and only have one puckmoving defenseman in Brain Lee who is still a rookie.

If we trade Meszaros, Murray better be active in the Free Agency

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
  #55
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
I just don't know why Murray would trade Mezz.

During our Stanley Cup Final run we had 4 puckmoving defensemen in Wade Redden, Andrej Meszaros, Joe Corvo, and Tom Priessing. Priessing and Corvo are gone and Redden is not expected to resign. That leaves Meszaros and Lee.

Now we trade Meszaros and only have one puckmoving defenseman in Brain Lee who is still a rookie.

If we trade Meszaros, Murray better be active in the Free Agency
Yea, I don't see it either.

I'm sure that the Flyers expressed interest because he's precisely the type of player that they're looking to add and assets like Umberger are the assets that they're looking to dangle.

However, let's remember that this is Garrioch and that it makes no sense for the Sens. My guess is that he Homer inquired, Garrioch saw them talking, and he attempted to put two and two together.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
  #56
Comely
Registered User
 
Comely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
You couldn't find a single Flyers fan who would even consider trading Coburn straight up for Mes, not one. Coburn is going to be a special special d-man and is already a VERY good top 3, if not top 2 defenseman in this league. The list of young D-men in this league I would trade Braydon for is very very short (Phaneuf, Weber, Jay-Bo, Burns, EJ, and possibly Green but that's it). I wouldn't deal Coburn for Mes and a signed Kelly, in fact I wouldn't even consider it.

Throwing in Carter's name is beyond a joke.
Well Coburn is Older (by only 8 Months mind you) and has yet to prove that he is any better. Coburn COULD become as good as you say but at this moment of time Meszaros is better has already put up 3 consistant NHL season at a high level and has yet to hit his potential as well. Coburn versus Mes is not really an arguement that I want to have mind you because it will simply become Orange and Black glasses versus Red and gold glasses....... But no one other then the most foolish will deny that the offer in question was just dumb.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
  #57
Comely
Registered User
 
Comely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
Yea, I don't see it either.

I'm sure that the Flyers expressed interest because he's precisely the type of player that they're looking to add and assets like Umberger are the assets that they're looking to dangle.

However, let's remember that this is Garrioch and that it makes no sense for the Sens. My guess is that he Homer inquired, Garrioch saw them talking, and he attempted to put two and two together.
This is one of the issues with reporting rumers the conversation could be this
H: Hey I was wondering if you would trade me Meszaros I will give you Upshall or Umberger
M: How about you give me Carter
H: No thank you

that conversation becomes Philly to trade Upshall or Umberger for Meszaros

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
  #58
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
You couldn't find a single Flyers fan who would even consider trading Coburn straight up for Mes, not one. Coburn is going to be a special special d-man and is already a VERY good top 3, if not top 2 defenseman in this league. The list of young D-men in this league I would trade Braydon for is very very short (Phaneuf, Weber, Jay-Bo, Burns, EJ, and possibly Green but that's it). I wouldn't deal Coburn for Mes and a signed Kelly, in fact I wouldn't even consider it.

Throwing in Carter's name is beyond a joke.
Here is why you should consider it.

Meszaros is a PP QB who is only 22 years old. He doesn't shy way from physical play and is no slouch in the defensive zone like some offensive defensemen are.

He had a tough sophomore season this year and will have a better one this season improving from last years totals. Think around 45-50 points.

He didn't get to many PP points this season cause over half (maybe more) the goals went like this. Heatley from Spezza from Alfredsson vice-versa whatever.

Meszaros has a bright future ahead, you just watch next year

Whether in Ottawa or Philly

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
  #59
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley27 View Post
Meszaros and Kelly(if signed)

for Carter and Coburn
is this a joke?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:06 PM
  #60
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Well Coburn is Older (by only 8 Months mind you) and has yet to prove that he is any better. Coburn COULD become as good as you say but at this moment of time Meszaros is better has already put up 3 consistant NHL season at a high level and has yet to hit his potential as well. Coburn versus Mes is not really an arguement that I want to have mind you because it will simply become Orange and Black glasses versus Red and gold glasses....... But no one other then the most foolish will deny that the offer in question was just dumb.
Coburn >> Meszaros this season. He's on our top pairing with Timonen at 23. And he scored the exact same amount of points in 4 less games (9-27-36 in 78 games).

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:06 PM
  #61
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Well Coburn is Older (by only 8 Months mind you) and has yet to prove that he is any better. Coburn COULD become as good as you say but at this moment of time Meszaros is better has already put up 3 consistant NHL season at a high level and has yet to hit his potential as well. Coburn versus Mes is not really an arguement that I want to have mind you because it will simply become Orange and Black glasses versus Red and gold glasses....... But no one other then the most foolish will deny that the offer in question was just dumb.
Coburn was the better player this year, he has the higher upside, he has the better tool set, he's the guy I'd want and the decision isn't too hard for me. If I was ranking the young defenseman in the NHL, Mes would probably be in my top 15, Coburn was certainly be in my top 10. This is not a slight to Mes who I think is a quality defender and I think will turn himself into a legitimate top pair defenseman in time, but Coburn showed that he's ready to be a top pairing defenseman right now and he just oozes upside.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
  #62
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Here is why you should consider it.

Meszaros is a PP QB who is only 22 years old. He doesn't shy way from physical play and is no slouch in the defensive zone like some offensive defensemen are.

He had a tough sophomore season this year and will have a better one this season improving from last years totals. Think around 45-50 points.

He didn't get to many PP points this season cause over half (maybe more) the goals went like this. Heatley from Spezza from Alfredsson vice-versa whatever.

Meszaros has a bright future ahead, you just watch next year

Whether in Ottawa or Philly
And here is why I wouldn't consider it:

1) Kimmo Timonen is the Flyers PP QB for the next 5 years and no one in the league, save Lidstrom, is better at QB'ing a PP then Kimmo is.

2) Braydon Coburn didn't even play on the 1st unit of the PP this year and still put up the same totals that Meszaros did. He's only 23 years old, this was his first full season in the NHL, and he took significant strides from the beginning of the season to the end of the season.

I'm not doubting that Meszaros is a very good player and he's going to get better, but the same can be said about Coburn and he has all the physical tools you could ever want in a defenseman.

I'll tell you right now, I'd trade Carter before I traded Coburn.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
  #63
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 500
If Holmgren were to get Meszaros for Umberger+, I'd be happy with Ed Snider naming him GM-for-Life.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
  #64
Ouroboros
Registered User
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,508
vCash: 1076
Here is why Ottawa won't, or at least shouldn't, trade Meszaros...

Phillips/Volchenkov
???/Lee
???/???

That is ****ing terrible. Meszaros is worth more to Ottawa than any other team in the league.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
  #65
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
I was curious about the Meszaros/Coburn thing, there's now a topic on it in the poll section for anyone interested.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
  #66
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
You couldn't find a single Flyers fan who would even consider trading Coburn straight up for Mes, not one. Coburn is going to be a special special d-man and is already a VERY good top 3, if not top 2 defenseman in this league. The list of young D-men in this league I would trade Braydon for is very very short (Phaneuf, Weber, Jay-Bo, Burns, EJ, and possibly Green but that's it). I wouldn't deal Coburn for Mes and a signed Kelly, in fact I wouldn't even consider it.

Throwing in Carter's name is beyond a joke.
Meszaros looked like a good #3 when he was 19. Turns out that it takes more than 1 good year to come to that conclusion.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:19 PM
  #67
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by weownoctober View Post
Meszaros looked like a good #3 when he was 19. Turns out that it takes more than 1 good year to come to that conclusion.
Coburn is also signed for 1.3 million.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
  #68
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
So it's true the herb in canada is better than the US.
Hell yes!

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
  #69
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
That's debateable.
Pennsylvania has some of the best Microbrews around.
Mmmmmm...Victory
Mmmmmm...Troeggs
Mmmmmm...Flying Fish
Mmmmmm...Dogfish Head


I could go on...
You forgot Weyerbacher

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
  #70
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
You forgot Weyerbacher
And Dogfish Head is Delaware, but it's still our area. Stoudt's is in the Philly area, too.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
  #71
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 35,495
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Well Coburn is Older (by only 8 Months mind you) and has yet to prove that he is any better. Coburn COULD become as good as you say but at this moment of time Meszaros is better has already put up 3 consistant NHL season at a high level and has yet to hit his potential as well. Coburn versus Mes is not really an arguement that I want to have mind you because it will simply become Orange and Black glasses versus Red and gold glasses....... But no one other then the most foolish will deny that the offer in question was just dumb.
why dont we just all agree that both are going to be very good defenseman in this league. I have allways liked Meszaros's game. I allways thought he was allways overlooked by alot of people as a pretty good young defenseman.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
  #72
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
And Dogfish Head is Delaware, but it's still our area. Stoudt's is in the Philly area, too.
GREAT Brewery!

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
  #73
Red Dragon
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
If Meszaros is traded there have to be either a older more experienced top 4 dman or a top 6 winger coming to Ottawa. Umberger or Upshall is not what we need and neither is Parent. Parent is gonna be good but we need someone now. Otherwise there is not much point to trading Meszaros. I can see Meszaros leaving Ottawa but its gonna take more. Brian Lee is younger and is kinda similar to Meszaros but with a weaker shoot thats why I can see Andrej gone.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:57 PM
  #74
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick15 View Post
If Meszaros is traded there have to be either a older more experienced top 4 dman or a top 6 winger coming to Ottawa. Umberger or Upshall is not what we need and neither is Parent. Parent is gonna be good but we need someone now. Otherwise there is not much point to trading Meszaros. I can see Meszaros leaving Ottawa but its gonna take more. Brian Lee is younger and is kinda similar to Meszaros but with a weaker shoot thats why I can see Andrej gone.
That's legit. Forget Parent anyway, he's not going anywhere. That would be totally counter-productive for the Flyers.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:34 AM
  #75
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,117
vCash: 500
I can never figure out why people are saying Lee will replace Meszaros. True they are both offensive defensivemen, but that's about where the similarities end. Meszaros has the big shot, and occasional big hit, while Lee is much more of a positional guy with smooth playmaking from the back end.

I kinda foresee them forming a Kaberle-McCabe relationship actually.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.