HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR (Ottawa Sun): Umberger or Upshall for Meszaros

Old
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Meszaros is an excellent defenseman. Superb skater, great first pass, can work the power play, is very good in his own zone. He'd be a perfect fit on the Philly blueline with Parent. However, it's going to cost more than Umberger or Upshall for Meszaros. If Ottawa were to deal him, get used to the thought of Giroux going the other way....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Meszaros is an excellent defenseman. Superb skater, great first pass, can work the power play, is very good in his own zone. He'd be a perfect fit on the Philly blueline with Parent. However, it's going to cost more than Umberger or Upshall for Meszaros. If Ottawa were to deal him, get used to the thought of Giroux going the other way....

No. Holmgren isn't that dumb. If that's really the asking price, I say no way.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
mikedifr

I would give up Umberger+ for him in a heartbeat.

Coburn Timonen
Parent Meszaros

would be a great top 4 for years!!!

Round that out with some combination of Kukkonen, Smith/Hatcher/Gauthier and I am sold.

I rather trade Umberger than Upshall cause Upshall brings something this team needs and that is the agressiveness. Only Harntell and Downie really bring that from the forward group. Umberger's skill set can be replaced much easier than Upshall's in my opinion...not to mention that Upshall is younger and cheaper for another year or two. I still think he is going to breakout and put up as many points as Umberger.

I hate to give up Grioux but would be fine with Umberger, Nodl and a pick. Maybe Jones as a dman going the other way to fill a spot, not that I feel he has a whole lot of trade value but he put up good numbers in the playoffs, it has to count for something to people that dont watch him every day.

Maybe Umberger, Jones, Nodl, pick for Meszaros + pick or mid level prospect.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

No. Holmgren isn't that dumb. If that's really the asking price, I say no way.
You're talking about a 21 year old defenseman who has averaged 37 points a year since coming into the league, plays on average 21 minutes a night, has been a plus player his entire career and would certainly solidify our top four spot. Yes, acquiring a proven young defenseman like Meszaros would cost someone like Giroux. You can say that Holmgren isn't that dumb, but that would certainly be the asking price. No way does Umberger or Upshall and draft picks get you Meszaros. The guy is going to be a number one defender very shortly and at this point, I'd say he's much further along in his development path than Coburn is.

Old
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

No way Ottawa is dealing Meszaros for Upshall or Umberger.Great players no doubt, but Ottawa itself is looking for a top 4 d-man . And as we have recently seen , Hainsey looks for a 5 year contract @ 4,5 mil and Streit (who doesn't play dEFENSE) will get 5 mil as well . Given that , Ottawa will probably give Meszaros a one or two year deal @ 3,5 mil and that's it . If Philly really wants him , Carter has to come the other way...of course, the Sens will have to add something . Just to remind a fact, Sens doesn't have any other promising D in their prospect pool(only Lee who will be in our top 6 next season) and 2 russians who look far away from NHL at this point

Cheers

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Shoeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I agree upshall is awesome, but his role could be filled by Downie. I think Umby has more upside if we can sign him.
downie really isnt an energy player like upshall. the only role he can fill would be instigator.

something to think about.........homer traded for upshall, but didnt sign umberger. he may be partial to his own guy.

the biggest thing is for carter's development upshall needs to stay around on his line. it really didnt matter who was the other wing the line clicked.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think Redden thoroughly wore out his welcome based on what I've read...a Sens fan could say more to that.
He never played up to his capabilities after he signed his deal. He came off an elite season in 2006 and then went on to have mediocre to poor seasons after. I think he was injured for a lot of the '07 season, so that's one thing. However, despite eating up huge amounts of ice time, he always looks soft on the puck and seems to make bad mistakes. He gets dominated physically. Combine that with a less than stellar offensive effort and his contract and you have all the makings of a scapegoat...

I stuck up for him for SO long, but even I had to give in eventually...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You're talking about a 21 year old defenseman who has averaged 37 points a year since coming into the league, plays on average 21 minutes a night, has been a plus player his entire career and would certainly solidify our top four spot. Yes, acquiring a proven young defenseman like Meszaros would cost someone like Giroux. You can say that Holmgren isn't that dumb, but that would certainly be the asking price. No way does Umberger or Upshall and draft picks get you Meszaros. The guy is going to be a number one defender very shortly and at this point, I'd say he's much further along in his development path than Coburn is.
It might cost someone like Giroux, but right now the ceiling on Claude is uncertain. I wouldn't deal such an unknown quantity yet. The target is tantalizing, and would certainly be a valuable top 4 guy, I agree, and it will take more than a U and a pick.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:32 AM
mm6492

Umberger, Nodl, Ruizika and a 4th
for
Meszaros

how does he compare to suter and others that are somewhat available

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Kaktus*

Some Stats:

Among defensemen
- Tied for 25th in points
- 80th in ice time
- Tied for 30th in takeaways
- 57th in hits
- 73rd in blocked shots

Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Parent top 4 looks real good if Parent steps up next season.
Not bad, not bad at all.

If Homer makes that trade without giving up someone like Giroux or Parent I am happy. Umberger or Upshall plus Nodl or Potulny or Kukks or Jones. etc etc

I think Sens will ask for Lupul?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 06-04-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
for
Meszaros

Hes better. The guy 22 and already has 3 FULL seasons under his belt. this guy is a fiture top paring Dman and i would take him over jsut about anyone on the market for a ton of reasons.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
cant see the rumor happening. But If it does I would be very happy.
That said seems kind of odd to me that they are prepared to let Redden walk and are willing to discuss trading Meszaros.
Unless they plan on throwing a boatload at Brian Campbell on July 1st.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
cant see the rumor happening. But If it does I would be very happy.
That said seems kind of odd to me that they are prepared to let Redden walk and are willing to discuss trading Meszaros.
Unless they plan on throwing a boatload at Brian Campbell on July 1st.
Replace 22 year old RFA who is asking for a reasonable contract with 7M UFA?

Lets hope Homer makes another Coburn like trade, maybe Brian Lee is available?

Old
06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
for
Meszaros

He's much, much, much better than Suter. I really don't get it. Everyone raves over Suter, yet he's been a healthy scratch seven times in his career - healthy scratch. Never has Meszaros been a healthy scratch. I just don't understand the love that Suter gets on these boards. He's an overrated hack.

Old
06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Meszaros is exactly the type of defenseman the Flyers need in their top 4. He's solid in hi own zone, he throws his weight around and he has good offensive potential. Most importantly he plays with an edge that you don't see in Kimmo, Coburn and Parent.

I remember hearing that Chara took Meszaros under his wing during Chara's last season with Ottawa and it helped Meszaros' confidence immensely.

If Holmgren can swing a deal to snag Meszaros, I would be wicked impressed...... and very happy...... as long as it doesn't involve JVR , Giroux or Carter.

06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Replace 22 year old RFA who is asking for a reasonable contract with 7M UFA?

Lets hope Homer makes another Coburn like trade
, maybe Brian Lee is available?
But that requires a ******** GM to swindle.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Meszaros is exactly the type of defenseman the Flyers need in their top 4. He's solid in hi own zone, he throws his weight around and he has good offensive potential. Most importantly he plays with an edge that you don't see in Kimmo, Coburn and Parent.

I remember hearing that Chara took Meszaros under his wing during Chara's last season with Ottawa and it helped Meszaros' confidence immensely.

If Holmgren can swing a deal to snag Meszaros, I would be wicked impressed...... and very happy...... as long as it doesn't involve JVR , Giroux or Carter.
I would be willing to move giroux for him if homer knew he could lock him up for 5-7 years at a decent price. The guy is a stud.
Right now we have too many wings and none of them are old but knuble. eventually someone is going to have to go. Even with umby gone we still have too many. At some point downie is going to be on the 3rd line consistantly, giroux will be ont he second line consistantly and JVR will be on the first line, thats 3 guys that will have to go. Knuble...who else. nobody wants to move upshall but he seems to be the next in line. i think Giroux has great trade value, as much as nobody wants to give up young talent, mez is young PROVEN talent on the back line which is hard to come by.

Old
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I would be willing to move giroux for him if homer knew he could lock him up for 5-7 years at a decent price. The guy is a stud.
Right now we have too many wings and none of them are old but knuble. eventually someone is going to have to go. Even with umby gone we still have too many. At some point downie is going to be on the 3rd line consistantly, giroux will be ont he second line consistantly and JVR will be on the first line, thats 3 guys that will have to go. Knuble...who else. nobody wants to move upshall but he seems to be the next in line. i think Giroux has great trade value, as much as nobody wants to give up young talent, mez is young PROVEN talent on the back line which is hard to come by.
Not for this guy. Giroux is untouchable imo

Old
06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
mm6492

I would give up any prospect but Giroux and JvR if possible. if I could go in next year witha lien up of

gagne-brere-hartnell
lupul-richards-downie
Upshall-carter-giroux
cote-thor-knuble

kimmo-braydon
parent-meszaros
jones-kukks

with carter on a 4-5 year deal and hatcher retired so that we could do this, I would be happy

Old
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
.....as much as nobody wants to give up young talent, mez is young PROVEN talent on the back line which is hard to come by.
I agree that Giroux's ability to produce at the NHL level is unknown at this point, but his development over the last 12 months has been nothing short of extraordinary; there's no reason to move him or JVR at this point.

The Flyers have a great top pairing in Coburn and Timonen and should have a solid 3/4 guy in Parent. They don't need to sacrifice a top prospect to fill out the top four. A package involving Upshall or Umberger would be fine by me.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I agree that Giroux's ability to produce at the NHL level is unknown at this point, but his development over the last 12 months has been nothing short of extraordinary; there's no reason to move him or JVR at this point.

The Flyers have a great top pairing in Coburn and Timonen and should have a solid 3/4 guy in Parent. They don't need to sacrifice a top prospect to fill out the top four. A package involving Upshall or Umberger would be fine by me.
agreed. JvR and Giroux get you a a #2. we dont need that- we wont be able to afford that in a couple of years. we have plenty of people we can movbe but always hang on to your top couple prospects unless the move would definitely put us overthe top

Tradeable: Umberger, Nodl, Potulny, Ruzika, Knuble
If needed: Upshall, Lupul- both of them only in the right deal aka- a a great #3 and a #1 goalie prospect

Old
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Some Stats:

Among defensemen
- Tied for 25th in points
- 80th in ice time
- Tied for 30th in takeaways
- 57th in hits
- 73rd in blocked shots

Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Parent top 4 looks real good if Parent steps up next season.
Not bad, not bad at all.

If Homer makes that trade without giving up someone like Giroux or Parent I am happy. Umberger or Upshall plus Nodl or Potulny or Kukks or Jones. etc etc

I think Sens will ask for Lupul?
Lupul straight up I might think about. You basicallly would then have to hope Giroux is ready though.

With Briere on the wing as everyone seems to think will happen....mix and match wings as you want but this would be the top 9 at least.

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Giroux
Upshall ??????? Knuble
Cote Thor Downie
Dowd

Coburn Timonen
Parent Meszaros
Kukkonen Smith/Gauthier/Jones

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
agreed. JvR and Giroux get you a a #2. we dont need that- we wont be able to afford that in a couple of years. we have plenty of people we can movbe but always hang on to your top couple prospects unless the move would definitely put us overthe top

Tradeable: Umberger, Nodl, Potulny, Ruzika, Knuble
If needed: Upshall, Lupul- both of them only in the right deal aka- a a great #3 and a #1 goalie prospect
If we could keep nodl i would give them all. Umberger, potulny, ruzicka and knuble.

Think about it if your the other team though. Would you want to trade your a #1 goalie prospect or a #3 Dman for Upshall? I like the guy but he doesnt have a ton of offensive ability and I see him as an average 2nd line player at best.

Old
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Not for this guy. Giroux is untouchable imo
What do you mean not for this guy? This guy is a 21 year old defenseman who is probably Ottawa's best offensive defenseman. Let's not forget that he averages 37 points a season, plays an excellent physical game, averages 21 minutes of ice time and can skate like the wind. Meszaros is the real deal and as I've mentioned, is further along in his development than Coburn is. Meszaros can be the guy that replaces Timonen.

If you think it's not going to cost us Giroux for someone like Meszaros, you're out of your mind. Umberger or Upshall and draft picks for Meszaros? Not happening. If Brian Murray makes a deal like that, he gets canned.

Old
06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Pumpedtothemax

Defintly would give umberger for him but not upshall.........Then again we need Puck moving D bad.

Pumpedtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote