HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Ryan Malone fit here?

Old
06-04-2008, 11:27 PM
NoTradeClause

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatchi View Post
The only team Malone signs at 4 million for is Pittsburgh. Otherwise on the open market someones gonna pay him 5.5. I hope to gawd its not KLo.
I don't think so my friend.... I really doubt anyone signs Malone for that type of money. He's OK but come on.....

NoTradeClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Asher

Malone won't be worth anything near what he gets if he hits the open market, so I wouldn't be interested. I wonder what Orpik will get? I might be interested in him if the price were right.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 03:18 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
everyones talking about malone, but wouldnt orpik better fit our needs? send off staios or greene for picks and sign that sucker.
agreed. Orpik fills the role of a fairly decent hitter and he was decent positionally. Scuderi absolutely blew. he should be in the AHL or a 7th defenseman at best. he was atrocious in everything other than getting in the way of some shots. big whoop.

Malone is a waste of money / time in Edmonton. he benefited playing with great players in Pburgh and basically disappeared that entire series other than taking a puck to the face. love the heart and his grit but he looks like a version of Jarret Stoll who doesnt take face offs. medicore / crappy skill set and not even as fast as Stoll. in fact, he wasnt even that impressive that whole series for causing chaos on the forecheck. he looked a step behind Detroit and had a few decent hits but they werent game changers by a long shot. even Gary Roberts had more impressive hits and hes slower than a turtle.
Pittsburgh will try to keep Malone anyway. Penner and Malone on the LW at over 4 million a piece? no thanks. pass.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
fuhr

I'm sure every team in the league would like him on their team because he's a very good player but he could be commanding a very large number if he gets to the open market and frankly he wouldn't work into many teams plans. If he wants that type of $ it is very questionable if the Pens could sign him but I really think it's a no brainer that they sign Orpik. If Orpik doesn't sign with them, the Rangers will go really hard for him.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by krush26 View Post
I don't think so my friend.... I really doubt anyone signs Malone for that type of money. He's OK but come on.....
If it becomes a bidding war he will make a whole lot of money. The other thing is a team may front load a deal with an absurd amount next year and make it a long term deal at an average in the $4 million range.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
CallMeWalter

Don't see a fit with the LWs on the roster now. Lowe could make room with the kind of 3-for-1 he's been talking about lately, but that 3-for-1 becomes a 3-for-2 in essence if he makes another deal and signs Malone as a UFA. Still too many forwards.

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodo Baggins View Post
I don't see Malone going anywhere. He will give Pittsburgh a huge hometown discount to stay and keep playing with Crosby and Malkin.
yeah i was gonna say this, why would malone want to leave the pens?? as long as he's there he gets to play with some of the best players in the world on a team that is already a legit cup contender... if it were me i'd love to stay there, if he's just looking to cash in with a big fat contract then let someone else overpay him.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
yeah i was gonna say this, why would malone want to leave the pens?? as long as he's there he gets to play with some of the best players in the world on a team that is already a legit cup contender... if it were me i'd love to stay there, if he's just looking to cash in with a big fat contract then let someone else overpay him.
Drury, Gomez, Briere, Chara, et al, all send their regards.

Old
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
GMofOilers

I dont want a 4.5 millllion dollar role player. Dont we have enough of these guys.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Heavy Fuel

I think we can let playoff viewing colour our picture of players just a bit too much. Watching Malone & Orpik over the last little while gave us a insight into how much character they can show under pressure, but in the cold light of the regular season next winter, how much are they really worth?

Do we need another expensive "character" guy on a team with a relatively highly paid core of veterans? I would take either of those guys on my team, but if they go to free agency you have to know that we would have to seriously overpay to get either of them here.

Heavy Fuel finds it unlikely that Malone will wear an Oiler jersey, barring a cleaning house move with Torres/Stoll/Moreau, etc.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Spawn

I like Malone. He's got decent hands, big, stands up for teammates. I just don't think he's going to be worth the contract he might get on the open market. The guy played with a hart candidate this year and ended up with 51 points. What happens when you take him away from the leagues 2nd leading point scorer?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
I think we can let playoff viewing colour our picture of players just a bit too much. Watching Malone & Orpik over the last little while gave us a insight into how much character they can show under pressure, but in the cold light of the regular season next winter, how much are they really worth?

Do we need another expensive "character" guy on a team with a relatively highly paid core of veterans? I would take either of those guys on my team, but if they go to free agency you have to know that we would have to seriously overpay to get either of them here.

Heavy Fuel finds it unlikely that Malone will wear an Oiler jersey, barring a cleaning house move with Torres/Stoll/Moreau, etc.
Speaking of yourself in the 3rd person is dangerous around here.

Remember the Warrior.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Speaking of yourself in the 3rd person is dangerous around here.

Remember the Warrior.
The Warrior is a sports radio icon. Spawn thinks only good can come of reffering to ones self in the third person.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I like Malone. He's got decent hands, big, stands up for teammates. I just don't think he's going to be worth the contract he might get on the open market. The guy played with a hart candidate this year and ended up with 51 points. What happens when you take him away from the leagues 2nd leading point scorer?
Ask Nils Ekman.

06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Asher

Quote:
The Warrior is a sports radio icon. Spawn thinks only good can come of reffering to ones self in the third person.
There's only person that's allowed to talk in the 3rd person, and that's Jimmy!

Old
06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I think we've established irrefutably that the Warrior is actually the "King Of Dodge".

That must be quite the sale they're having at the dealership...he hasn't dropped by in a long while.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

Penner has the tools to be better than Malone and Franzen but he needs to start using the body. hopefully a summer in Cali will cure that...
we need a sniper, plan and simple and that's not Malone.
Malkin? go big or go home...

Oil_in_my_veins is offline   Reply With Quote