HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gary Bettman

Old
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Gary Bettman

not starting this thread to bash him or to say he ruined the league (although I think he played a huge part in the decline of the nhl between 1994 and now)..and if it has to be locked or moved, i apologize. anyway...

this guy does not give off that authority vibe. he was shaking....almost trembling when he awarded the conn smythe. he was booed...loudly...by penguin fans of all people. he is always getting booed at nhl rinks....he seemingly has no respect. he speaks like woody allen.

i mean, look at david stern. he could run for president, the man is a genius. his one downfall is the seattle sonics fiasco.

let's hear your thoughts and let's not have any useless bashing...don't call him crosby's aunt or anything like that. let's have some real discussion.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Nich

and the ref fiasco for stern....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
NYROrtsFan

Yeah, I'd say the Ref fiasco far outweighs anything else...

NHL could do a lot worse than Bettman.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Nich

funny part is, hockey is the sport with the best rep most likely

nba - betting fiasco
nfl - seriously, terrible contract with players...60 million for a rookie??? ***!!!
baseball - barry bonds

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post

nba - betting fiasco
nfl - seriously, terrible contract with players...60 million for a rookie??? ***!!!
baseball - barry bonds
don't forget all the arrests in football, and spygate.... also don't forget clemens, Mcguire, congressional hearings, in baseball.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
not starting this thread to bash him or to say he ruined the league (although I think he played a huge part in the decline of the nhl between 1994 and now)..and if it has to be locked or moved, i apologize. anyway...

this guy does not give off that authority vibe. he was shaking....almost trembling when he awarded the conn smythe. he was booed...loudly...by penguin fans of all people. he is always getting booed at nhl rinks....he seemingly has no respect. he speaks like woody allen.

i mean, look at david stern. he could run for president, the man is a genius. his one downfall is the seattle sonics fiasco.

let's hear your thoughts and let's not have any useless bashing...don't call him crosby's aunt or anything like that. let's have some real discussion.
I think a large problem is he does not really know or understand the game. He was seemingly was not a hockey fan prior to becoming the Comish (not saying he was a hockey hater).

06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post

nba - betting fiasco
baseball - barry bonds
Outside of reputation, Bettman is actually not terrible with dealing with emergency situations. Bertuzzi was suspended without question immediately after the incident. Although I didn't like it, the "Avery rule" demonstrated the NHL's ability to react quickly, which baseball clearly is incapable of doing with regard to using replay for home runs.

Meanwhile, the NFL commissioner unilaterally destroys the Spygate tapes without anyone getting a look at them (and the steriods issue is only beginning to surface), NBA has the ref scandal and the seattle mess up, and MLB has continuously done a poor job handling steroids.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think a large problem is he does not really know or understand the game. He was seemingly was not a hockey fan prior to becoming the Comish (not saying he was a hockey hater).
I dunno about that. He did go to Cornell, a school with a rich hockey tradition. Not sure if he paid attention to the team at the time. Also his son does play hockey.

Not that this means that he has a great understanding of the game, simply stating that he has been around the game of hockey for a pretty long time.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Smashley

...Looks like Kevin Spacey.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I wouldn't be surprised if Bettman has Parkinson's the way he was shaking on Wednesday night.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have my issues with Bettman, too.

However, he is not stupid, and the league is at its best in over a decade.

Every year, and especially in the near future there will be an even greater influx of highly skilled talent coming into the league.

Yes, there was a lockout, but you have to be blind or ignorant to not understand that the lockout was the BEST THING to happen to the league.

If not for the lockout, NOTHING would have gotten fixed.

The league is better, faster, now then it has been in a LONG time.

Players are stronger, faster, and more skilled then they have ever been.

Hockey equipment is better then it has ever been.

Training is better then it has ever been.

League revenue is on the RISE.

Interest in the league is on the rise.

There will always be people who don't get it.

But MLB is a joke. Full of controversy and overpaid money grubbing, cheating, pansies that sit out half a season because of a groin twinge.

NBA is a joke, too, bunch of millionaire 18 year olds thinking they are gangster.

NFL, is better then MLB and the NBA, however not without its controversy.

IMO, the NHL is in the best shape, primed to be a hit, then it has been in a very long time. With a simple national TV deal (ESPN, not enough games on NBC, need games on ABC, what ever not only Versus) the NHL would rise.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:18 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
agree on so many levels.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
He's also the only major league commish that has a weekly call in show on the radio, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I think he's a dweeb, and comes off as robotic, but you can't argue with the overall success of the league under his watch.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I just flat out hate this guy, and consider him a terrible Commish.

With that said, i have met him in person two seperate times, and got to have conversation with him.

First time I had zero hatred for him. I met him on a plane to Vancouver in 94. Didn't recognize him at all, untill he said who he was. We made small talk, and he wished us luck as Ranger fans going to watch the game.

The 2nd time I met him was this past season at the inductions. It was after the actual ceremony which was held upstairs at the hall. Downstairs was a party going on that was one of the best hockey experiences of my life. Anyway, fast forward to later in the evening. I find myself on line with my brother waiting to get some food. Bettman is right in front of us. We get food, and walk over to a table, and he walks right next to us to the next table. We stike up conversation. Mostly about the Hall and how they did a tremendous job with the inductions. The conversation turned to scheduling. My brother offered his input. Said that he personally would much rather see more inter-conference play, instead of seeing the same teams 8 times per season. He said 6 times would be better with some more of the West coast teams worked in.... Very abruptly, Bettman looked at him...and snobishly said the schedule is fine, and that nobody want to see the west coast teams????? He then just walked right away without uttering another word.

Now fast forward again to his "state of the league address" before the finals started. "We are going to focus on more interconference play" I believe were the exact words that came out of his mouth.

To me, I view this man as a crooked politician. Nothing more. I don't think he has the appreciation for the game, that the longtime diehard fans of the NHL have. I think he has his own idea of what "his preffered NHL" would be like. And I think he doesn't care about what other people think about it, nor do I think he will ever admit that his idea's might not be the best.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 06-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
trench23

I feel the worst thing Bettman did is sign us up with VS, instead of mainstream TV (ESPN). Even if we were on spike (rumoured somewhere), we at least would have been on basic cable, and not on an extended package that only fly fisherman and truckers order. There is no visibility for a sport when off of the mainstream that needed (still needs) to grow comming out of a lockout.

I personally do not understand the constant booing (especially in Pittsburgh)- he isnt that horrible.

I too saw the shaking and wondered if his health was alright.

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
cjdv16

as i watched him, i actually felt bad for him. it can't be nerves... this guy has his own radio program and speaks publicly on a regular basis.

my immediate thought was parkinson's.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
as i watched him, i actually felt bad for him. it can't be nerves... this guy has his own radio program and speaks publicly on a regular basis.

My immediate thought was 17,000+ people booing him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:31 PM
gilles lupien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

that's exactly what i thought too and said it out loud to my family.

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ive actually always been a fan of bettmans. i tend to agree with most of the decisions hes made, yes, including versus, the lockout, etc.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Re: the story about the bad encounter with Bettman.

Look, he is human, just like the rest of us.

Sometimes you meet a celebrity figure and one day they may be generous and nice, the next day they may be in a bad mood.

I get on him too at times.

The point I'm trying to make is that he isn't the commissioner to be nice to everyone all day. He is the commissioner to get the league to flourish.

IMO, with the current state of the league, post-lockout, the only BIG issues are:

1 A- No mainstream National TV deal.
1 B- HAVE TO re-up the IIHF agreement.
2- schedule: every team should play in every building at least once per season. That means every team playing every team at least twice.
3- inconsistent officiating.

Beyond that the league is in great shape, IMO.Revenue has gone up every year post-lockout, the quality of the games has gotten better and better, faster.

New generational talent comes in every year via the draft. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, soon to be Stamkos, Tavares... not to mention the other young superstars around the league. The talent level is going up every year, and every year the slower, less skilled, fringe players are getting weeded out.

So, I think he has done a good job since the lockout, which, i think HAD TO happen for the sake of the league. Sometimes you need a step back to take two steps forward.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:58 PM
MadHookUp

He has been shaking like that for as long as I can remember. When they were getting ready to announce the Conn Smythe, I said to my wife, "This is my favorite part! Watch how much Bettman shakes after he is done each sentence!"

I don't like him. Mainly because of the insane amount of expansion. The talent pool doesnt support 30 teams.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
The Winged Wheel

Send a message via AIM to The Winged Wheel
With Bettman, the NHL could do worse (albeit not much worse) but they sure could do better. We need someone with experience in management and knows the game (the way it was pre-Bettman, pre-lockout preferably)

Off the top of my head....Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Trevor Linden, Wayne Gretzky, Scotty Bowman, Steve Yzerman, etc...

Of course, it'd have to be someone the Owners like and respect as well, someone the Owners could have confidence in.

The Winged Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winged Wheel View Post
With Bettman, the NHL could do worse (albeit not much worse) but they sure could do better. We need someone with experience in management and knows the game (the way it was pre-Bettman, pre-lockout preferably)

Off the top of my head....Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Trevor Linden, Wayne Gretzky, Scotty Bowman, Steve Yzerman, etc...

Of course, it'd have to be someone the Owners like and respect as well, someone the Owners could have confidence in.
so you mean none of those guys, b/c they all have class and respect the game, not the money being made. the Owners just want a person to play puppet, and make them the most money, not what is actually the best interests of the game.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:47 PM
FACEMAN

I thought the same thing about Bettman, hopefully its not true. I googled gary bettman parkinson's and nothing official but others are talking about it.

FACEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:17 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
He's not a good public speaker at all... he does sound very nervous when he talks, and quite frankly, that nervousness makes me think he's trying to slink away from the truth... that's how he sounds when he talks.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote