HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Boots and Jim

Old
06-08-2008, 02:35 PM
The Human Torch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Let me ask you this! How did it feel when the Oilers were almost moved? Because that is how it feels to be a Preds fan right now.
I agree completely, and I sure do feel bad for all 12 of them.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:17 PM
CanmoreMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Let me ask you this! How did it feel when the Oilers were almost moved? Because that is how it feels to be a Preds fan right now. They may not be the most knowledgable about hockey given how many never saw hockey until Preds came to Nashville but they love the Preds. They are good fans and as a Hawks fan i dont want to see them lose there team.
That would be a fair comment if not for a couple of things.

Firstly, Nashville for two of the last three seasons has had a VERY good team. For the third season of the last three it played above and beyond expectations. At any point has this team been supported? No, not ever. It is one of the worst draws in all of hockey with the lowest ticket prices. It's not important that some people like this team or even love it. Not enough do. And nobody within that town with money behind them has any interest in keeping that team there. That's why when it hits the market for the 2nd time in fourteen months it'll be scrambling for a buyer. If the fans of Nashville are that enthralled by their team, find a group similar to EIG (the 37-or-so odd owners who bought the Oilers in 1998).

Losing the Oilers would've sucked. Especially since we know now that we'd have an easier time giving Bettman a root canal than him and his buddies letting us move a struggling franchise north of the border. That said, the problems with our team can be summed up by one thing: the owner. He alienated the fans with his trades of Gretzky and Messier, and his shady business dealings only soured our impression on him even further. The team was crap, was run like crap and had no hope of challenging for anything as long as he was in charge. We were deemed a small market franchise that was run by bush league management. Plus, our economy sucked.

So yes, it sucks to see any city lose its team. But in the last three seasons you've enjoyed great hockey and not supported your team. You've seen a threat to move only to be saved at the 11th hour and still not supported your team.

Tell me again why the 25,000 people on a waiting list in Hamilton shouldn't get the Predators?

I just want to see teams play in cities that support hockey. Or at least want to. Like Chicago.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote